• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Ended up buying this.
My first Mario Party since the first one and I've only played with my 6 year old but it is pretty fun.

I like motion controls and am enjoying the mini games that utilise them.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
We're a family of three and I have a quick question before I buy: in the VS mode, can one team be one human and one cpu? Alors, can two humans be a team and battle a team of 2 CPUs? Same applies to the coop 4 player game: can we be three humans and one CPU?

I assume the answer is a yes to all these questions, but I haven't played a MP game in two decades so I want to make sure before I buy.

Thanks!

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Is there a quicker way to unlock all the minigames? I've been playing the Board Game all day and I've still got 7 left. My last 5 games I've not had a single ??? one come up :\

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Is there a quicker way to unlock all the minigames? I've been playing the Board Game all day and I've still got 7 left. My last 5 games I've not had a single ??? one come up :\
Some of them are exclusive to River Survival and Sound Stage, and there's a few classified as "team games" that are more common to find in Partner Party as a result.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like how Kamek gets scared when Bowser lands on a Bad Luck Space and he has to take stars from him.

"Just doing my job"

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We're a family of three and I have a quick question before I buy: in the VS mode, can one team be one human and one cpu? Alors, can two humans be a team and battle a team of 2 CPUs? Same applies to the coop 4 player game: can we be three humans and one CPU?

I assume the answer is a yes to all these questions, but I haven't played a MP game in two decades so I want to make sure before I buy.

Thanks!

Mario Party: 4-Player Free-For-All with CPU making up the Non-Humans.

Partner Play: 2 Teams Free to move around board independently. Teams can be 2 Humans, 2 CPU if you want or any combination.

River Run: CPU take over Non-Humans.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got to play with some friends last night. We were all really enjoying it. Pace seems a tad slower at times than the older games, but overall it really felt like a classic Mario Party in terms of all the chaotic stuff going on. River Run ended up being a hit too, though I feel like the regular board game mode is probably going to be the way to go for the most part.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Sound Stage really is much better than it has any right to be. Almost feels like a competitive Rhythm Heaven, despite how eager the text is to get you to stand up and make some stupid pose.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not much talk about the music, but I really like the main theme song. It's so good. Never thought I'd talk about music for a Mario Party game.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Where are you located? In the US we only have the opposite colors of what's in the SMP bundle. Like I just popped over to Amazon, and there are three listings, with green on the left and pink on the right listed as the EUR and Japan import versions and the green on the right and pink on the left as the US version, so that would explain the confusion. If they brought this bundle to the US then we'd be able to have solid pink and green Switches ;__;
Aaah, didn't know that. I'm from Europe. Now I need to check if this is the case for European copies of SMP as well! Thanks for the info.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not much talk about the music, but I really like the main theme song. It's so good. Never thought I'd talk about music for a Mario Party game.

Last night while playing my buddy commented on how good this track was when we got down to the last 3 turns.

There's some really solid music in this game. And the main theme yeah is infectious.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Two things I hope they address in the next game:

- Rumble Minigames are a terrible replacement for Battle Minigames. Not nearly as exciting, and they're all same-y.
- There doesn't seem to be a Chance Time equivalent here. I know they got rid of it in some of the later entries, but I actually miss the chaos it brings.

One thing I'm surprised to be enjoying as much as I am is the ally system. Being able to use their dice blocks and getting an additional 1-3 roll from them is a great idea.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Do all the minigames become available on Mariothon (local) mode once all the board levels are cleared?

Oct 27, 2017
Last night while playing my buddy commented on how good this track was when we got down to the last 3 turns.

There's some really solid music in this game. And the main theme yeah is infectious.

Yepp this track is awesome!

My wife yelled fuck you waluigi at the tv last night.

Purchase justified.

Haha nice!

Two things I hope they address in the next game:

- Rumble Minigames are a terrible replacement for Battle Minigames. Not nearly as exciting, and they're all same-y.
- There doesn't seem to be a Chance Time equivalent here. I know they got rid of it in some of the later entries, but I actually miss the chaos it brings.

One thing I'm surprised to be enjoying as much as I am is the ally system. Being able to use their dice blocks and getting an additional 1-3 roll from them is a great idea.

I disagree about chance time for this specific game. While it was always fun in previous entries, I feel so much can already happen in one turn with these tighter boards, that it might be a bit much. Also as coins were awarded to second and third place in mini games, the standings are also closer by nature too. Besides, we have people complaining about the bonus stars already, so introducing more luck based events might not be for the best.

I agree with the ally system being awesome. I wonder if it would be too OP if they made it optional if we want them to roll the extra 1-2 die...

SMP has been a hit all weekend at my place. I don't think I've played a bad mini game yet.

Same here.

Do all the minigames become available on Mariothon (local) mode once all the board levels are cleared?

No those mini games are specific and all are "as further as you can get" mini games until 1000 points each.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame the boards are so bland and boring because the mini games have been really fun in the half dozen games I've played. I'm hoping they have some more complex boards for DLC soon.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Yes! Whomp's Domino Ruins is my favorite theme, though I prefer the nice chill variant.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
After many games of this, there is one very apparent, very glaring flaw: not enough that can actually shake up the game. What happened to the bowser spaces the chance times, the duels where you could force your opponent to wager a star? It often ends up feeling like "oh, he had the most stars appear right in front of him... So I guess he won." Game needs more possibility for surprise moments that just screw with everything.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
After many games of this, there is one very apparent, very glaring flaw: not enough that can actually shake up the game. What happened to the bowser spaces the chance times, the duels where you could force your opponent to wager a star? It often ends up feeling like "oh, he had the most stars appear right in front of him... So I guess he won." Game needs more possibility for surprise moments that just screw with everything.
I agree with you. Unlucky Spaces are technically the same as Bowser Spaces, but they don't feel nearly as exciting because Bowser is now playable. And the lack of Chance Time is a huge shame.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, it's really hard to lose a large amount of coins which is a bit of a disappointing change. It would bring some tension back to late game that dissipates after the first few turns when coin costs actually matter.

It's also kind of a shame losing Allies is also hard, in Star Rush you'd be swapping them constantly with quick duels, which was pretty fun.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I like how Kamek gets scared when Bowser lands on a Bad Luck Space and he has to take stars from him.

"Just doing my job"

I thought that was a great touch . When you obtain certain partners they seem to have different dialog as well.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's really hard to lose a large amount of coins which is a bit of a disappointing change. It would bring some tension back to late game that dissipates after the first few turns when coin costs actually matter.

I just finished another game and finished with 65 coins. I remember in the old MP games how desperate people were to win games because coins were critical. In this game they're handed out like candy. Add in the fact that everything from stars to items are cheap to buy...and the result is that minigames really just don't matter as much.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just finished another game and finished with 65 coins. I remember in the old MP games how desperate people were to win games because coins were critical. In this game they're handed out like candy. Add in the fact that everything from stars to items are cheap to buy...and the result is that minigames really just don't matter as much.

Well, in the old school games you could still get over 100 coins in a regular game and be gloating over everyone, so it wasn't totally "hard" to get coins, but you could easily be cut down to size by Bowser or Chance time or something, which is either neutered or nonexistent here. Like, Lakitu only steals like 6-7 coins vs. 20-23 coins in the old games. If they wanted it to be more fair they could've made the stealing proportional.

Even Mario Party 9 and 10 weren't afraid to constantly cause you to lose half your mini stars all the time, it was kind of an important balance mechanic to keep things competitive.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. But it's still great fun. I just hate that I'm going to have to wait several years for the opportunity for them to improve on this formula.

My go to are still MP2/3

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"Just doing my job"

There's a good amount of this stuff. If Bowser comes up to Whomp on his level, he says "Sorry to do this to you, but I've gotta ask you for 3 coins". Everyone else he just yells at them for 3 coins. There's little specific interactions with certain allies too. It's great little touches.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am slowly starting to change my mind about this, i was thinking about selling it but my wife and daughter dont want that =) and i actually having som good fun with this, just hoping for some A+ dlc in the future.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree. I've played about 7 or 8 games so far. think nearly every one of those games the person who pulled ahead in the first or second round ended up winning, simply due to a good dice roll early on. I would like to see a lot more interactive set pieces on the board. More spontaneous events. Its crazy how unimaginative they are with this.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

It all comes back to board design. Smaller boards mean the star is usually going to appear directly in front of someone. It also means fewer spaces, which means less opportunity for unique spaces like the Bowser or Duel space.

And yes, the boards are just dull overall. Nothing much happens on the boards, and the aesthetics and environments around the spaces are boring and not very creative. It's a stark contrast to older boards that were vibrant and had unique sections and spaces all over the board.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was a great touch . When you obtain certain partners they seem to have different dialog as well.
Yup. During a game last night, the Mario player Luigi as a partner, and the text said something about it being good to have bros helping you (not exactly, but close.) It's the little touches.

I hands down have gotten more enjoyment out of this game already than most big AAA multiplayer games. So happy Super Mario Party is back.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly do you use amiibo in this game? I can't seem to find any menu for scanning amiibo at all. Or does it need to be unlocked?
Anyone have an answer to this? Surely someone has used amiibo here by now, right? I've played most of the modes already and still haven't seen any way to scan amiibo.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have an answer to this? Surely someone has used amiibo here by now, right? I've played most of the modes already and still haven't seen any way to scan amiibo.
Party pad, party points, bottom choice is Amiibo. If that isn't working, go to Toad, he is probably waving, and you need to talk to him.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yup. During a game last night, the Mario player Luigi as a partner, and the text said something about it being good to have bros helping you (not exactly, but close.) It's the little touches.

I hands down have gotten more enjoyment out of this game already than most big AAA multiplayer games. So happy Super Mario Party is back.

I'm so happy it's back too :)
I'm about to go over to a buddies place and have another epic session with a different group than yesterday. Mario Party all weekend looooong!!! Great times.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bonus stars are bullshit, and I don't understand why the game doesn't take joycon orientation into account at all.

And yeah, the boards are pretty bad.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played the 4 boards, first 2 with my GF, last two with my GF and 2 friends. Now I hate everyone (getting all the bad stuff since I'm the best gamer in the group, which is oh so relevant in Mario party...).

Also fuck CPU Daisy. What a bitch.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Played the 4 boards, first 2 with my GF, last two with my GF and 2 friends. Now I hate everyone (getting all the bad stuff since I'm the best gamer in the group, which is oh so relevant in Mario party...).

Also fuck CPU Daisy. What a bitch.

YES! Her and Peach are the definition of bitch in this game, they will screw you over any chance they get.

And got this yesterday and my roommates and I are having a blast, one of my roommates doesn't even like Mario Party that much and he's even loving it.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
About to bring the switch to the family's house to play this. Can't wait for the ensuing salt lol.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this a lot, but my only complaint is how cheap stars are. 10 coins for a star, when coupled with the fact that you get coins even when you lose mini-games, means you're almost never priced out from a star. All that matters is hoping you're standing in the right place when the star moves. And since the boards are so small, it's trivial to reach the star, and to afford it. In the end, it makes mini-games seem meaningless.

Obviously, randomness and cruelty are the name of the game in Mario Party, but I wish that winning mini-games helped more than it does.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this a lot, but my only complaint is how cheap stars are. 10 coins for a star, when coupled with the fact that you get coins even when you lose mini-games, means you're almost never priced out from a star. All that matters is hoping you're standing in the right place when the star moves. And since the boards are so small, it's trivial to reach the star, and to afford it. In the end, it makes mini-games seem meaningless.

Obviously, randomness and cruelty are the name of the game in Mario Party, but I wish that winning mini-games helped more than it does.

I have to agree with this, shop items are far too cheap as well. Kamek's board is the only one where it felt like you could potentially get low on coins. I get the sense that they were afraid to have any point where a player might actually be turned away from a shop or star. I would love to see an "increase shop/star prices" option added to make it more similar to classic Mario Party.