• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Played a bit with my wife and son last night (was fun!)

Is there anyway to skip or perhaps make AI dice rolls go quicker? Kind of takes you out of it when you need to wait so long for the AI to roll, move, use an item...etc.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest problem with this game is just how sloooooow everything is! You can't even turn off mini-game explanations (as far as I'm aware) which has been a staple in the series since Mario Party 1. It's also crazy you have to watch Toadette sloooooowly float to the Star spot every single time, text boxes/menus are slow (you could make text boxes faster in previous entries), things like stealing stars and coins take longer because there's more animations and unskippable cutscenes, etc etc. That's why 20 turns takes 120 minutes, not because of the actual game, it's all the cutscene/textbox/menus padding that adds up which you can't skip. Guarantee you if you could make all that skippable/faster and no mini-game explanations 20 turn games would take about as long as they do in Mario Party 4. Which is still slightly longer than 1-3 but I would be much happier with that pacing than the current one right now.

They desperately need to patch in these options.

This is my biggest complaint too. It drives me nuts you can't skip animations or the textboxes which are ALWAYS the same. It gets old very fast. They must've have seen this while testing the game..

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Do you think this will get some dlc?
There's some weird character omissions that make it seem like they intentionally left the possibility open (Pom Pom is playable but Boom Boom is completely MIA, Birdo is hanging around but noticeably absent from any minigames), and they've been good about randomly dropping new updates in other games, but most of them were confirmed to be getting content before launch and we've heard nothing of the sort for Mario Party.

I think it's fairly likely, but I also wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't happen.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
There's some weird character omissions that make it seem like they intentionally left the possibility open (Pom Pom is playable but Boom Boom is completely MIA, Birdo is hanging around but noticeably absent from any minigames), and they've been good about randomly dropping new updates in other games, but most of them were confirmed to be getting content before launch and we've heard nothing of the sort for Mario Party.

I think it's fairly likely, but I also wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't happen.

I'm wondering if maybe they didn't talk about any free updates because they plan to do paid DLC packs like with MK8 or BOTW. I could easily see getting a couple packs with two boards for Mario and Partner Party and two characters each. Either way I expect to hear news about it when the next general Nintendo Direct rolls around.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just wondering, how is the hd rumble in the game?
Is it well implemented? Is it unique in every mini game?

Some minigames use it, yeah, and most of the wager "Battle" minigames use it in this. Actually, it starts to rumble for players who don't ready-up for minigames which is great.

The little tune a joy-con makes before your turn is actually from the rumble as well.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I think the biggest problem with this game is just how sloooooow everything is! You can't even turn off mini-game explanations (as far as I'm aware) which has been a staple in the series since Mario Party 1. It's also crazy you have to watch Toadette sloooooowly float to the Star spot every single time, text boxes/menus are slow (you could make text boxes faster in previous entries), things like stealing stars and coins take longer because there's more animations and unskippable cutscenes, etc etc. That's why 20 turns takes 120 minutes, not because of the actual game, it's all the cutscene/textbox/menus padding that adds up which you can't skip. Guarantee you if you could make all that skippable/faster and no mini-game explanations 20 turn games would take about as long as they do in Mario Party 4. Which is still slightly longer than 1-3 but I would be much happier with that pacing than the current one right now.

They desperately need to patch in these options.
This, so much !

I love the game, way more than the previous one on Wii U (my only Mario Party game so I wasn't really hyped for this one and didn't plan to buy it this month but I received it as a gift). But sometimes I'm tired of all those animations/texts and... grab my phone during CPU turns... and loose a part of the fun.

I hope they'll fix it. And I would love some dlc too, I need Birdo and more boards, way more boards, please !

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Love the new modes. Partner Party is a lot of fun, but I had one issue with it, and I'm kinda hoping it's something I screwed up. There were 4 turns in a row I was near the star (one space away..), but 4 rolls in a row didn't allow me to land on the star. Just passing by the star space doesn't let you get the star, does it? It didn't seem to for me at least. Having to land on the space kind of stinks...unless I'm wrong..

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann was 100% right.

This game is pure evil.

My kids were dying to get this game and it has been non-stop misery in my house since Friday. The game is so fucking cruel. You can play almost perfectly and be winning only to lose on some complete bullshit on those extra stars at the end or some item bullshit.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Love the new modes. Partner Party is a lot of fun, but I had one issue with it, and I'm kinda hoping it's something I screwed up. There were 4 turns in a row I was near the star, but 4 rolls in a row didn't allow me to land on the star. Just passing by the star space doesn't let you get the star, does it? Having to land on the space kind of stinks...unless I'm wrong..

It's intentional and offers a bit of extra strategy. People who split up will be able to cover more of the board, but people who stick together will have a better chance of landing on the star space with at least one of their rolls, plus the potential of both landing on the space and buying two stars.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Some minigames use it, yeah, and most of the wager "Battle" minigames use it in this. Actually, it starts to rumble for players who don't ready-up for minigames which is great.

The little tune a joy-con makes before your turn is actually from the rumble as well.
this is staggering to me. I honestly thought that there must be a speaker in the joy con.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Love the new modes. Partner Party is a lot of fun, but I had one issue with it, and I'm kinda hoping it's something I screwed up. There were 4 turns in a row I was near the star (one space away..), but 4 rolls in a row didn't allow me to land on the star. Just passing by the star space doesn't let you get the star, does it? It didn't seem to for me at least. Having to land on the space kind of stinks...unless I'm wrong..

Yeah, odd and even rolls are actually very important in the grid layouts. Unfortunately, it's hard to strategically position yourself or pick a dice that might help you, since you merge with your partner and allies, but I still kind of like it this way because it offers a turnabout mechanic for people to catch up and swipe it out from under you. You can double your chances by sticking together near it, or go out of your way to be ready for the next star since it isn't a guarantee.

4 turns in a row of missing it shouldn't be likely, but also kind of funny because of that.

this is staggering to me. I honestly thought that there must be a speaker in the joy con.

I think what I read is it's more the reverse, that the rumble tech is actually closer to speaker tech, which allows it the subtlety of "HD" rumble. It's more amazing it can do rumble than sound, haha.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing with my gf yesterday. We did the a game on the Whomp board, a Mariothon, and a bunch of Sound Stage sessions. We had a blast.

I really liked the wok-cooking minigame.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, I get the sense that the vast majority of people complaining about board size simply haven't played it.

I dunno dude, I played two of the boards, and also got a sense of there being compression in size in contrast to the older entries. It feels like there isn't as much strategy to moving around the board, other than just "avoid this hazard!". Items also felt pretty basic.

I definitely would like to dive in and play again, but those are just my current thoughts.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I think the minigame collection in its entirety has been the best one yet. The size of the boards are fine; movement have been condensed to 1-6 to reduce variance, which is fine by me. The boards are more dense with interesting spaces, so it's really just a matter of feels vs reals. While I do wish for more boards, playing 2v2 does feel like a wholly different experience with new dynamics. Overall, playing through everything once proved to be the best MP experience I've had since MP3, which also has the benefit of extreme nostalgia goggles. We'll see how the replay value lasts with the lack of boards, but I think that this was still very much worth the buy.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
That river rafting mode is actually pretty fun. Only had one other person playing with me so it wasn't too difficult to coordinate but I could see with 4 people it being the right kind of chaos. I also liked that the minigames were all cooperative.

There's so many clever little games in here, but some of them I wish went a little faster. For example there's one for the river rafting where a sports ball (basketball, football, socce ball and baseball I believe) drops to one player and you have to pass it around until it gets to the player standing over a basket with that ball's logo. It's a cool concept, but there's not any real pressure to it because 1) the timer is long and 2) it takes a too long for the next ball to drop.

That's am minor quibble, though.

How do you unlock the 4th board? We've played all 3 to completion but I didn't see any notification about the last one opening up.

db1416

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
South Florida
The biggest issue for me is the complete BS bonus stars. Should definitely have the option to make them "best performance" based like mini game star and coin star. Just needs some customization.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Gonna send my rental back tomorrow I think. The content and online is really disappointing. One of my friends has it also so I can still play it occasionally if I really want to.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue for me is the complete BS bonus stars. Should definitely have the option to make them "best performance" based like mini game star and coin star. Just needs some customization.

Agreed. They should have three bonus stars for every map that everyone knows about before hand, mini game star, coin star, and 'eventful' star (I like this one just because it makes you think a bit more about which direction you want to go in).

Things like most useful Ally star is pretty lame tbh.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
How do you unlock the 4th board? We've played all 3 to completion but I didn't see any notification about the last one opening up.

The board is unlocked separately for each mode. So for example if you want to play the 4th board in Mario Party mode, you have to have played all 3 of the previous boards in Mario Party mode. If you played one in Partner Party, that only counts towards unlocking the 4th board in Partner Party mode.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm honestly surprised they didn't include the option to just turn them off like they almost always do.

The game is lacking options in general, but that one is a rather egregious omission.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very surprised there's no power up or something to shuffle the turn order. That'd be a complete way to dick over friends right in front of a star or something. Seems obvious, but what do I know about making games.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Buying gold warp pipes in this game is too easy. In older mario party games only the players trailing could buy the lamp or boo's bell. This game anyone can buy it as long as you have the coins and go to the right store. It's bs and I don't understand why nintendo let that happen.

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
Does this game require the joycon grips (for ZR ZL)when using a joycon as a stand-alone controller in multiplayer?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I don't have the game yet, but could anyone tell me if the character-specific dice blocks feel properly balanced? Based on the footage I saw, it looked as if some characters were significantly better than others, which would suck, since I'd hate to be handicapped just for picking my favorite character.

This game is pure evil.

My kids were dying to get this game and it has been non-stop misery in my house since Friday. The game is so fucking cruel. You can play almost perfectly and be winning only to lose on some complete bullshit on those extra stars at the end or some item bullshit.
Welcome to Mario Party.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the game yet, but could anyone tell me if the character-specific dice blocks feel properly balanced? Based on the footage I saw, it looked as if some characters were significantly better than others, which would suck, since I'd hate to be handicapped just for picking my favorite character.

Buying gold warp pipes in this game is too easy. In older mario party games only the players trailing could buy the lamp or boo's bell. This game anyone can buy it as long as you have the coins and go to the right store. It's bs and I don't understand why nintendo let that happen.

The overall game balance is completely out of whack. The more you play, the more you become aware of this. Coin economy, stars, star movement, ridiculously cheap prices of everything, certain character dice being superior to others, etc.

The game overall has a polished look to it, but the classic board game mode unquestionably feels rushed and half-baked, both in terms of content and balance.

jorgeobamajr

Oct 25, 2017
Warp pipes seem to be 30 on partner party (at least on the kamek board) so I have no idea why they're just 10 on regular mode. Like it feels like it's a mistake. Should be 30 there as well, same price as a lakitu. The coin drink and peepa bell items are also missing from Mario party apparently? They alone would balance some things out regarding allies giving you huge rolls.

Off topic, but does anyone have footage from the kamek board in partner party, w/ 20 turns? Seems to be the most different board from its Mario party counterpart and the vids ive seen of it barely explore it.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This game is pure evil.

Zha723D.gif

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Items and stars are generally too cheap in this game. One of my biggest gripes. Still enjoying it a lot, but I wish this was addressed.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

This game is pure evil.

I've came last or second last every time I've played it and won every mini game. Twice I finished without a star. I think my kid is losing all respect for me.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017

This game is pure evil.

I think the bonus stars are an almost a good idea. The garbage part is that you don't know what the bonuses will be until the end. If they told you upfront about them then they'd be fun little side objectives to go after during the game.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I feel if they patched the golden warp pipe to be around 30 coins and can only be bought by the 3rd and 4th place players, that would help a ton. A solid strategy now is just keep circling the store to buy a gwp. You don't have to chase toadette unless she's real close.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Some character dice are more useful in general compared to others that are more situational, and some of them are just plain bad (Monty Mole should definitely have his +1 coin buffed to a +7) but at the end of the day I don't think it's as relevant as some people make it out to be. It's Mario Party, not a fighting game. Even the S-Tier Bowser has a 50% chance of fucking up his roll every turn if he relies on his dice too much.

I feel if they patched the golden warp pipe to be around 30 coins and can only be bought by the 3rd and 4th place players, that would help a ton. A solid strategy now is just keep circling the store to buy a gwp. You don't have to chase toadette unless she's real close.

It's a little strange because on Tantalizing Tower Toys the golden pipe works like it should, it costs 30 coins and doesn't restock (at least while it's still in your inventory). If they just applied that to the other boards it would be perfectly balanced.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The meat in sizzling stakes is very realistic, and that's really strange to see in such a cartoony game.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
How fun is it as a two person game? Currently don't have the funds to spend $80 on joycon but if it's fun with only 2 players I might get it.

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
How fun is it as a two person game? Currently don't have the funds to spend $80 on joycon but if it's fun with only 2 players I might get it.

I play it with my wife. It's fun. We take jabs at each other and so on. I'm way better at minigames than she is, and yet, we are standing at 3 wins to 2 in her favour.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I like how Kamek gets scared when Bowser lands on a Bad Luck Space and he has to take stars from him.

"Just doing my job"

And if you don't have any stars he feels bad for you and gives you some coins lol

I agree. At least you should only be able to buy one per game.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Partner mode is pretty neat. I like being able to move freely. I feel like I'm missing something obvious though - why can't you stop your turn on an odd number?

For example if we roll a combined 8 I could stop after 2,4,6,8 spaces moved but not 1,3,5,7.

It seems arbitrary and without explanation too.

We were trying to get a star for 3 turns on the mine board and never rolled the right number to get it even though we were right next to it n

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Partner mode is pretty neat. I like being able to move freely. I feel like I'm missing something obvious though - why can't you stop your turn on an odd number?

For example if we roll a combined 8 I could stop after 2,4,6,8 spaces moved but not 1,3,5,7.

It seems arbitrary and without explanation too.

We were trying to get a star for 3 turns on the mine board and never rolled the right number to get it even though we were right next to it n
You have to use up your full movement, no matter what. Choosing to stop just has the game pick a route for you that ends on that space.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I tried some other game modes with my fiancé. Both the dance mode and the one with the cascade are really fun, we'll definitely spend more time on each to unlock the various endings and such. The sticker poster thing is also very cute. Really fun game.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
How do you unlock other characters and stages? I heard you can find Dry Bones in the world, but I don't see him.