• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I'm playing challenge road and the team minigame where you and your partner are tied with yarn and have to make shapes by walking around the pins is one of the most infuriating things I've EVER played. I have never seen partner AI this atrocious in my life. I immediately go to wherever I need to be to make the shape, and my partner just stands still...not moving AT ALL. Okay, I think, I'll just move to where *I* need to be based on where he's currently standing. NOPE. When I do that, he just follows me wherever I go. WTF??

I've seriously lost this like 20-30 times in a row. I know it eventually lets you skip it, but I'm stubborn and I wanted to do it. I finally just gave up though. Seriously WTF.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Just got this for £12 due to some amazon vouchers from work. Got some friends coming over tomorrow so looking forward to it! (hopefully it arrives)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The economy in this game is so bad. Jesus raise the prices. Giving everyone money like it's practically free. Golden Pipes need to be at the minimum 15 coins. The Star needs to be 20 coins. Stealing a star should be 40 coins.

The poison mushroom needs to take away more than 2 and you should be able to use it on yourself. Characters should be able to go backwards.

Let's get more items. Where's the anti Lakitu item?

Last edited:

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
It's fun :) I like the simple, back to the roots minigames, but the boards could be better and more. A friend of mine wants more motion control minigames, but I like the selection so far.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The economy in this game is so bad. Jesus raise the prices. Giving everyone money like it's practically free. Golden Pipes need to be at the minimum 15 coins. The Star needs to be 20 coins. Stealing a star should be 40 coins.

i have no problem with the economy. i feel like stars were to valuable in the old games.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Its fun, I just wish every minigame was unlocked from the start.
Carrying to game to a friend house, where we were 7 people and had to take turns (couldnt play the boards).

Also, any switch game were you could play with 8 people?. I know Mario Kart, but you need 4 switches (we assumed we could with 2, so not everyone had their switch there).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

The poison mushroom needs to take away more than 2 and you should be able to use it on yourself. Characters should be able to go backwards.

Let's get more items. Where's the anti Lakitu item?

What's really bizarre is all the coin inflation, and then the new coin add/subtracting dice blocks are stingy as hell. Might as well just be zeros considering -/+2 coins would barely register even in the old balance.

Yeah I disagree 100%. Coins are pretty pointless in this game. The old games did it right. This game wants everyone to feel like they're a winner.

Can't say I totally agree with this though, the ease of getting stars is just a different kind of tension, a lot more tug of war. It's not tuned perfectly but I can see some value in that different sort of idea. Keeps things competitive.

Its fun, I just wish every minigame was unlocked from the start.
Carrying to game to a friend house, where we were 7 people and had to take turns (couldnt play the boards).

Also, any switch game were you could play with 8 people?. I know Mario Kart, but you need 4 switches (we assumed we could with 2, so not everyone had their switch there).

Super Bomberman R, and there's some indie games like Party Golf, some 6-player games like Towerfall and Worms and Astro Duel, and I think Dragon Ball FighterZ is 6-player which might be neat?

Last edited:

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Super Bomberman R, and there's some indie games like Party Golf, some 6-player games like Towerfall and Worms and Astro Duel, and I think Dragon Ball FighterZ is 6-player which might be neat?

I'm going to check those (probably Towerfall can interest them), if not, we're going to bring 4 switches to the next time and just wait for 8 player smash.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I was in tears playing this the other night, the coop mode is so ridiculous. Doing the little high five motion is so ridiculous. My friends said they just wanted to play normal Mario Party but I'm pretty sure they actually enjoyed it lol.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
i have no problem with the economy. i feel like stars were to valuable in the old games.
Nah. Stars and golden pipes can be bought by anyone now. Golden pipes, like the lamp and boo bell used to be reserved for players in 3rd and 4th...sometimes 2nd place players to catch up. They were 30 coins so it made sense to try to reach the star because it was way cheaper. Now all you gotta do is keep circling for golden pipes if you're no where near reaching the star.

Game needs to patch the golden pipe to at least 30 coins and limit it so the player leading can't buy it.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So is the bundle with 2 included joy-cons just a European market thing or will/was it also be released in NA?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks how everything is a 50/50 random chance though. Always need an odd or even and its only a coin flip whether or not you get it. I get that Mario Party involves luck, but it sucks to finally arrive at a star and then just do circles around it repeatedly.
That part is bad. I watched a video and the one group of partners were at the Star and they went 5 straight turns not getting the even or odd number they needed to land on the Star. It was really bad.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Played the shit out of this game and am now pretty tired of it, expectedly. My friend picks Bowser every time and it kind of ruins the fun...everyone can purchase everything so the only differentiating factor is movement and he just flies across every map.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Stars and golden pipes can be bought by anyone now. Golden pipes, like the lamp and boo bell used to be reserved for players in 3rd and 4th...sometimes 2nd place players to catch up. They were 30 coins so it made sense to try to reach the star because it was way cheaper. Now all you gotta do is keep circling for golden pipes if you're no where near reaching the star.

Game needs to patch the golden pipe to at least 30 coins and limit it so the player leading can't buy it.
They really need to patch this game and raise the prices and add more items. It's the same two shops with the same set of items. Golden Pipes shouldn't be allowed to be bought like candy.

Bring back player duels for the last 3 turns too. Let poison mushrooms work on the player themselves and let players go backwards. Mario Party 3 had this down.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i doubt they will ever patch prices.
Then give the options. It's that simple. Before you enter games have options where you can make Stars worth 10 or 20 coins, along with the items costing more.

Easy Allies has probably the best game of Super Mario Party. They play just like I play and it was a blast to watch. Even they said there needs to be patches.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
That part is bad. I watched a video and the one group of partners were at the Star and they went 5 straight turns not getting the even or odd number they needed to land on the Star. It was really bad.
Yeah that has happened to me and my friend too. Both of us circling around the star, meanwhile Bowser rolled like a 17 and swept across the entire board to snatch it.

It is bad on the tropical board too where you need to hit those [ ! ] tiles in order to transit through the pipes. Not only are you blocked off from getting stars, you can actually be prevented from accessing certain areas of the board all together. All in all I do like the mode though.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then give the options. It's that simple. Before you enter games have options where you can make Stars worth 10 or 20 coins, along with the items costing more.

Easy Allies has probably the best game of Super Mario Party. They play just like I play and it was a blast to watch. Even they said there needs to be patches.

i watched that too but their game played out really well so i don't really understand what's all that broken.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that has happened to me and my friend too. Both of us circling around the star, meanwhile Bowser rolled like a 17 and swept across the entire board to snatch it.

It is bad on the tropical board too where you need to hit those [ ! ] tiles in order to transit through the pipes. Not only are you blocked off from getting stars, you can actually be prevented from accessing certain areas of the board all together. All in all I do like the mode though.
That's pretty much what happened in the video I watched. Funny the other team wasn't going to come because they're like "well one of them will get it anyways", then after 4 straight tries of not rolling the right number the other team came and got the star in the first chance they had.

I do think it's a really good mode. It's funny they have some different items in this mode like Dueling for Allies, which is absent from the traditional Mario Party mode.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Been alternating between Mario Party and Partner Party and boy, I don't know which one is better.

Partner Party needs to be a standard mode from now on!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone help me. I have no idea how to get into Partner Party mode. Its greyed out on the party pad. I have the game setup for 2 players.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked endlessly already - can 2 people play through this with just one set of Joy Cons?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to make some adjustments to my tier list, few things I've changed opinions on.

- Movement below the 21 average. Movement has still proven to be king in this game above all else, but I have found that when you want to move quickly around the board, most people just use the regular dice block in most circumstances, only using the special dice block if a unique opportunity arrives. This does make the game a little more stale I found sadly but it is the optimum tactic. If they
- Consistancy with allies. This is a very minor difference, but if a characters dice rolls are closer together, they can make landing on a certain space more likely. Take Daisy and Dry Bones both with 1 ally. Dry Bones is going to land on either 2, 3, 7 or 8 when using his special dice then adding the +1 or +2 from the ally, whilst Daisy will land on either 4, 5 or 6
- Fixed landing, I still feel that sniping a certain spot isn't a super viable path to winning, because you have to be a certain set number of spaces away to being with to even attempt sniping, the one spot that's only worth sniping is the ally spaces (granted early allies are super important in order to win), sniping goes out after the first ally and human players will counter it with Poison Mushrooms.]
There is one notable exception to the list and that's if a characters dice block will eventually land them on a fixed space, namely with them having a dice with 0 and one other number, this effects Wario, Diddy, DK and Shy Guy mainly. Special mention to Wario on the ruins whole can basically garuntee an Ally with his Dice Block since there is an Ally Space 6 spaces on the start, with only multiple bad rolls and a poison mushroom from an opponent being able to stop him.

TL:DR, if a character has movement under 21, they are probably rolling the regular dice instead of their special one in most instances, so the special dice for the 21 and under club now come down to unique spaces they can land on followed by consistancy and variance, with movement only being a tiebreaker for them.

SSS Rank (28 Move Club)
Bowser (-3, -3, 1, 8, 9, 10): 28 Movement Speed, 4 Extra Range, 5 Variance, Most likely 0 move at 2 Variance, -6 Coins

S Rank (24 Move Club)
Boo (-2, -2, 5, 5, 7, 7): 24 Movement Speed, 2 Extra Range, 3 Variance, Equal Split between 0, 5 and 7 move, -4 coins
Wario (-2, -2, 6, 6, 6, 6): 24 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 2 Variance, Most Likely 6 move at 4 Variance, -4 coins

The Rest Rank
Diddy Kong (+2, 0, 0, 7, 7, 7): 21 Movement Speed, 2 Extra Range, 2 Variance, Equal Split between 0 and 7 move
DK (+5, 0, 0, 0, 10, 10): 20 Movement Speed, 2 Extra Range, 2 Variance, Most likely 0 move at 4 Variance, +5 Coins
Pom Pom (0, 3, 3, 3, 3, 8): 20 Movement Speed, 2 Extra Range, 3 Variance, Most Likely 3 move at 4 Variance
Waluigi (-3, 1, 3, 5, 5, 7): 21 Movement Speed, 2 Extra Range, 5 Variance, Most Likely 5 move at 2 Variance -3 coins
Yoshi (0, 1, 3, 3, 5, 7): 19 Movement Speed, 2 Extra Range, 5 Variance, Most Likely 3 move at 2 Variance
Rosalina (+2, +2, 2, 3, 4, 8): 17 Movement Speed, 2 Extra Range, 5 Variance, Most Likely 0 move at 2 Variance, +4 Coins
Shy Guy (0, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4): 20 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 2 Variance, Most Likely 4 move at 5 Variance
Bowser Jr. (1, 1, 1, 4, 4, 9): 20 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 3 Variance, Most Likely 1 move at 3 Variance
Hammer Bro (+3, 1, 1, 5, 5, 5): 17 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 3 Variance, Most Likely 5 move at 3 Variance, +3 Coins
Luigi (1, 1, 1, 5, 6, 7): 21 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 4 Variance, Most Likely 1 move at 3 Variance
Peach (0, 2, 4, 4, 4, 6): 20 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 4 Variance, Most Likely 4 move at 3 Variance
Koopa (1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 10): 20 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 5 Variance. Equally likely to move 1 and 3, with 2 and 10 least likely.
Goomba (+2, +2, 3, 4, 5, 6): 18 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 5 Variance, Most Likely 0 move at 2 Variance, +4 coins
Monty Mole (+1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6): 20 Movement Speed, 1 Extra Range, 6 Variance, Equal Split between 0, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 move, +1 Coin
Daisy (3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4): 20 Movement Speed, 0 Extra Range, 2 Variance, Most Likely 3 move at 4 Variance
Dry Bones (1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6): 21 Movement Speed, 0 Extra Range, 2 Variance Equal Split between 1 and 6 move
Mario (1, 3, 3, 3, 5, 6): 21 Movement Speed, 0 Extra Range, 4 Variance, Most Likely 3 move at 3 Variance

Yeah I know it's wild (Rosalina over Shy Guy? You mad man!), but I still value a greater range of spaces you can potentially land on over consistancy in most scenario (Daisy/Dry Bones is like the one exception). Bowser still rules the roost because more movement for more stars, shops for gold pipes and lakitu is by far the simgle most important thing in the game. Allies are a very close second though.
I wonder if this list would differ in 10 turn games where you don't have as long and less allies are going to get involved. I'll let someone else calculate that.

Also, when they do a sequel. Can we bring back Mario Party 2's costumes and let us customise our characters? You have this point system and you can only buy... stickers. Let us dress up our characters in the next one please.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Played this game a few times and I'm probably going to shelve it and take it out of multiplayer rotation. It's a shame, because I really like the minigame selection, but the board part has absolutely nothing going for it. The pacing is really slow - 20 turns should not take 2 fucking hours - because of all the unnecessary animations (which are achingly slow and with huge pauses between them). Do we need that same animation of one character going yay and the others going aw every time someone buys a star?

The boards are tiny, often leading to situations where people can get two stars in one turn by simple virtue of Toadette landing further down the path from them. The prices are completely broken, with stars and items costing so little as to be irrelevant, and Lakitu is simultaneously underwhelming (he steals barely any coins) and too powerful (stealing stars costs only 30). I never thought I'd care about balance in a Mario Party game, but it truly is The Bowser Show, unless you enact a house rule that prohibits using character dice, although I hardly call that an ideal solution. Allies are too strong because movement is everything in this game and whoever gets three allies quickly gets a guaranteed 3-6 extra movement every turn, significantly boosting their chances of winning.

Aesthetically it's cool to play as Bowser and Boo and all but I feel the series has lost something in having Kamek and Lakitu take their respective roles - Bowser added a sense of menace to proceedings that Kamek can't emulate (plus the Bad Luck space has really tame punishments) and having Lakitu do your dirty deeds is just... meh. I know this isn't a big deal, but that's how I feel. Plus I find the UI to be clinical and dull, without the charm of the colourful UI of old. Even the tiniest of details can matter - for example, the way in the older games your coin count went up or down by increments of 1 to reach its new total (when you spend money or have it stolen from you) - in SMP the sum just instantly changes to its new value and it just doesn't feel as bad/good as the older method.

My girlfriend doesn't play games much, and we played Mario Party 2 on Wii U VC in the week running up to Super's release, followed by the aformentioned rounds of Super. She'd never played Mario Party 2 before and therefore has no nostalgia for it, and even she agreed that MP2 is a better experience than SMP, despite that games age.

In the unlikely event that SMP even gets patched to allow customizable coin/item prices and so on, I doubt they'd ever patch the flow of play on the board to go faster than its current snail's pace, and that's honestly (far more than Bowser's die or the Ally system) what kills this game the most for me and my friends. It's just too slow.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm holding out for some sort of Joy-con sale this Black Friday season, before buying this game.
There was a sale in Canada at Best Buy recently. It was like $20 off a pair(new). I'm hoping something similar comes in the future as well.

In the unlikely event that SMP even gets patched to allow customizable coin/item prices and so on, I doubt they'd ever patch the flow of play on the board to go faster than its current snail's pace, and that's honestly (far more than Bowser's die or the Ally system) what kills this game the most for me and my friends. It's just too slow.
I feel there will be some patch of options for sure. It's such a demanded feature. It'd be a shame if they lock those options to DLC only though.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think one of the things that most baffles me about the new balance is how you can't (seem to) steal allies - that was a super common occurrence in Star Rush and was a fun mechanic. It would balance them a lot instead of being essentially forever-lasting buffs.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I think one of the things that most baffles me about the new balance is how you can't (seem to) steal allies - that was a super common occurrence in Star Rush and was a fun mechanic. It would balance them a lot instead of being essentially forever-lasting buffs.
The ally duel glove is still in the game, it's just exceptionally rare... and then the duel minigames are awful luck based ones instead of something with a even a teeny bit of skill like the rumble duel games.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I really only ever played the first 4 Mario Party games besides this one and the only one of them that I recall feeling definitely "faster" than this one was the first game because there was so little to do on the boards (no items, for example).

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I´m on the fence on this one, got the previous one for WiiU but didn´t like it at all...How´s this one if you´re going to play it almost exclusively by 2 players?

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
so I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old boy. I have not played mario party games in a while. how is the learning curve and the difficulty of this game for my children?

wondering if I should pick it up or not.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old boy. I have not played mario party games in a while. how is the learning curve and the difficulty of this game for my children?

Explaining the board game mode may take a little while but they'll have fun with the game's co-op mode. The mini games are easy enough to grasp for the most part. I only tried the river mode so far and the games all seemed fairly simple. I'd go for it

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game is very easy as far as the board game part of it goes. Most minigames are also very intuitive, though there's a few that can be slightly complex to explain to smaller kids (there's a few requiring some oddly specific gestures that are not very intuitive imho). Either way you have some dumb AIs if you play on low difficulties (almost winning by default at times) and you yourself can hold back on some of the more demanding minigames, and suddenly you have nice leveled playfield. The minigames are very varied and fun, and one great feature is that anytime one of them comes up, you can first train as long as you like before moving to the actual competition. So if there's a minigame that is easy, just try it once and then jump into the action. If there's one that is more complex, you can spend 10 minutes of the training screen until you're absolutely sure both of your kids know what's going on. And if you fear the game punishing newcomers, don't fret it too much: there's a lot of random events, stars gifted and such that can create "undeserved" results which, however, give a chance to less skilled players. For one I'd assume the older kid of yours will play better, but the game can literally award you for being the slowest player for example (less moves made on the board) with a star, so no match is ever truly lost really.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Explaining the board game mode may take a little while but they'll have fun with the game's co-op mode. The mini games are easy enough to grasp for the most part. I only tried the river mode so far and the games all seemed fairly simple. I'd go for it
The game is very easy as far as the board game part of it goes. Most minigames are also very intuitive, though there's a few that can be slightly complex to explain to smaller kids (there's a few requiring some oddly specific gestures that are not very intuitive imho). Either way you have some dumb AIs if you play on low difficulties (almost winning by default at times) and you yourself can hold back on some of the more demanding minigames, and suddenly you have nice leveled playfield. The minigames are very varied and fun, and one great feature is that anytime one of them comes up, you can first train as long as you like before moving to the actual competition. So if there's a minigame that is easy, just try it once and then jump into the action. If there's one that is more complex, you can spend 10 minutes of the training screen until you're absolutely sure both of your kids know what's going on. And if you fear the game punishing newcomers, don't fret it too much: there's a lot of random events, stars gifted and such that can create "undeserved" results which, however, give a chance to less skilled players. For one I'd assume the older kid of yours will play better, but the game can literally award you for being the slowest player for example (less moves made on the board) with a star, so no match is ever truly lost really.

is there a mode that I can only pick select minigames ? like an "exhibition" mode, without having to go on board mode and wait for random games?

thanks for the replies.