• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ver. 1.1.0 (Released November 16, 2020)
  • Players can now invert the camera controls within all three individual titles.
  • Super Mario Sunshine now supports the Nintendo GameCube controller (sold separately). Players can now play this title using the same controls as found in the original GameCube release.
    • The Nintendo GameCube controller for Super Mario Sunshine is supported only in TV mode.
    • You'll need the GameCube Controller Adapter (sold separately) to use this controller with your Nintendo Switch system. Information on connecting this adapter and controller can be found here.
    • The Nintendo Switch Lite system does not support this controller option.
    • All button displays within Super Mario Sunshine will not reflect the Nintendo GameCube controller.
  • Other general fixes have been applied to improve overall gameplay across all three titles.
Edit:

Last edited:

DogNut327

Aug 10, 2020
Ah I wish they had announced this before hand, or even included it at launch. Now I've finished it and moved on, but maybe I'll boot it up for 5 minutes for the nostalgia lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY didn't expect that. That's super nice.

But does this works with the analog triggers?
You could technically always "play" these games with a GC controller, you were just forced to use the same controller layout as Pro Controller. The fact that they say the game doesn't change the button prompts to GC suggests the only real change is they did actually implement the original analog controls (which is possible on the Switch since some games have taken advantage of it).

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
By the time this game has been delisted for a month it'll be the definitive way to play these games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Yep, full analogue trigger support.

I'd be excited if Sunshine wasn't the worst game in that collection, lol.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome! Sunshine without the Gamecube triggers feels so weird to me. It's not bad, but the Gamecube controls for that game are so ingrained in my mind that the game feels worse as a result.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Glad it's finally out. I still have to finish Galaxy, but it's great I don't have to re-unlearn my camera control preference.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wish I hadn't beaten it already. Guess I will use this and the inverted controls to 100% the game now. Ridiculous this wasn't built in from the start but at least they corrected the mistake.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm surprised they fixed this since despite the bug you could argue it was a half decent accessibility feature.

Also heads up: they fixed the Turbo Nozzle 4:3 underwater glitch, the slowdown when you bring up the Isle Delfino map, and the non-modulated beep sound when you initiate a race.

This patch basically addresses all of the oft-spread major emulation-side glitches. Wonder if the frame pacing was improved at all (Delfino Plaza still seems to chug a bit when in the visually crowded areas while DEBS is up).

Last edited:

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Yep, full analogue trigger support.

Still a fantastic game. Excessive Sunshine bashing needs to go. Game is unquestionably good and arguably borderline great, even if it's a lesser experience than other 3D Mario games. Guess what... every single non-mario 3D platformer is a lesser experience compared to the other 3D Marios and Sunshine is still better than the vast majority of them.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
The baitiest bait to have ever been baited.

they're both solid 6/10 games tbh. i go back and forth on which one is better. mario has a better moveset in smg, but he controls better in sms. and smg is generally not as frustrating but there's something interesting about how how experimental sms gets.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
The Gamecube Adaptor has been around for six years and Nintendo has only given three games official support

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I mean, I do agree that it's the worst of the three . . . but at the same time I struggle to think of much of any non-Mario 3D platformers that come close to even the worst 3D Mario games. I've got Astrobot . . . and that's about it.

Oct 28, 2017
they're both solid 6/10 games tbh. i go back and forth on which one is better. mario has a better moveset in smg, but he controls better in sms. and smg is generally not as frustrating but there's something interesting about how how experimental sms gets.

I'll bite. Are you saying that Mario Galaxy is a 6/10 game or am I misreading ?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I do agree that it's the worst of the three . . . but at the same time I struggle to think of much of any non-Mario 3D platformers that come close to even the worst 3D Mario games. I've got Astrobot . . . and that's about it.

rayman 2: the great escape, sonic colors, ratchet & clank future: a crack in time are all games i'd happily play again and recommend over 3d land, odyssey, galaxy, or sunshine.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Holy shit! I actually enjoyed my time with the pro controller with it, but I'll certainly try it like it's supposed to be. I went through something like 115 shines, I'll get the last blue coins with my white old legendary wavebird.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'll bite. Are you saying that Mario Galaxy is a 6/10 game or am I misreading ?

it's a very competently made game with a fantastic presentation. that's about it. once it comes down to actual game design, the lack of confidence shines though. stuff is thrown in just to have it there, not because it has any meaning. miyamoto's games focus on function and purpose that drive a sense of happy surprises rewarding exploration. koizumi's generally trend more towards a sense of wonder and imagination (but without the level design chops to drive it home).

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get this again during February to have this patch on the cart.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
rayman 2: the great escape, sonic colors, ratchet & clank future: a crack in time are all games i'd happily play again and recommend over 3d land, odyssey, galaxy, or sunshine.
That's a hot take. Galaxy is one of the GOATs.

I haven't played Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time specifically, but while the ones I've played are good games I wouldn't put them up their with Mario. IMO the series is also only loosely a 3D platformer. Sonic Colors is good enough, but it's not that good. Rayman was good so I guess I'd put it up there. Obviously dated now. I personally don't think it's aged as well as SM64.

I guess I'd put A Hat of Time pretty high on the list too.