• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Game is Weirder?

• Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 119 65.0%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 64 35.0%

• Total voters

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was having this discussion with some friends during AGDQ, and figured I'd bring it here.

Mario Sunshine and Mario Odyssey are both very bizaire games compared to the other 3D Mario games. And while they are both mechanically unusual compared to the Galaxy games and 64 (FLUDD and Cappy), I'm more referring to the aesthetics and tones of both games when I make this comparison.

Let's start with Sunshine. While it's primary theme could best be described as "tropical vacation", it's approach to the more familiar Mario elements would certainly be called "uncanny". Familiar elements are present, but they're all a little "off". For example, the new takes on classic enemies are the strangest in the series.

For example, there's not a koopa-troopa to be found, but instead we have the electrokoopas and snoozakoopas

Electrokoopa.jpg
200px-Snooze-A-Koopa.jpg

These weirdly smiley bullet bills

Bullet-Bill-super-mario-sunshine-25606157-120-82.jpg

The Chain Chomplets

180px-ChainChompletFront.png

A very chill looking King Boo with an aversion to spicy food

300px-KingbooSunshine.jpg

And of course we can't forget about Petey Piranha, who isn't just strange, but dissolves into sludge when he dies

latest

Then there's just all sorts of weird little moments through out the game, including:

• Yoshi disintegrating when he touches water
  • The inexplicable other dimensions the no FLUDD levels take place in
  • Peach seemingly being unsure if she is Bowser Jr.'s mother
  • The voice acting in general
  • Just what's up with the Sandbird?
  • Wigglers just decay and fall apart when you defeat them
And plenty more. And of course, the finale, where you fight Bowser when he's just chilling in a giant Hot Tub

maxresdefault28-730x411.jpg

So yeah, while Super Mario Sunshine was an enjoyable game, it was certainly a weird game, definitely the weirdest in the 3D series, until Odyssey came along

NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_scrn04_E3.jpg

Why yes, that is Mario possessing a realistic T Rex, which has gained his hat and mustache. Which is pretty representative of what makes Odyssey weird yet different than Sunshine. You see, where Sunshine is weird in that it takes familiar elements of the Mario series and puts an uncanny reinterpretation on them, Odyssey largely keeps the familiar Mario elements consistent with their regular designs, but then juxtaposes them with contrasting art styles. In a sense, Odyssey's dissonance is what makes it weird.

So we have things like Mario in a realistic city with realistic people

Download_Super_Mario_Odyssey_Game_For_PC.jpg

The Asian inspired Bowser's Kingdom

Bowsers%20Kingdom.jpg

And all the new creatures and objects Mario can fight/capture
SMO_Tank.jpg

plant-enemy-super-mario-odyssey.jpg
cap10.png

And you can't forget about that unexpected boss

mqdefault.jpg

And that's not getting into the fact that you can play the whole game in your boxers, or a wedding dress, or wearing a Diddy Kong or Waluigi outfit.

But anyway, which game do you find to be the weirdest 3D Mario? Not the best, not the most fun, but the weirdest?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I always thought Sunshine's enemies were weird

They seem designed to be knockoffs of regular Mario enemies. I get why, Delfino isn't the Mushroom Kingdom, and they're sort of Alolan forms of normal enemies, but their designs are just kind of odd. They're not particularly well designed, just look at those Koopas

Odyssey has stylistically jarring characters and enemies, but at the same time, they all work together to form a strangely cohesive style. Cartoony Pauline looks totally fine next to hyper realistic band members, and the T Rex slamming through traditional Chain Chomps doesn't really feel out of place despite the very obvious style differences between the characters that are two feet from each other.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey is weirder but popular culture has gotten so much weirder/zanier/more random since Sunshine that the latter probably seems weirder in context.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario oddesey is strange in some ways but i think Sunshine is wierder ,from having to use FLUDD to the plot itself

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Sunshine just has this off-beat feel to it. Odyssey's more realistic style means that the weirdness feels less weird. The worlds are fully realized and natural and there isn't that kind of off-the-wall randomness that you got in Sunshine or in much of Galaxy, for that matter. It's a testament to Odyssey's supremely polished design that everything feels organic, although it misses a certain charm that the absurdism of Sunshine had.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Sunshine is weird as a Mario game. Odyssey is just weird period (and Mario is often weird). So it depends on how you view the question I guess.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Always though the art direction was all over the place in Odyssey.
Which made parts look weird/off.

Love the gameplay, but wasn't a fan of the art direction.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine I think is weirder overall due to the use of FLUDD, the capture mechanic feels way more 'Mario' (reminds me of the caps from 64 DS) as opposed using to using a gadget.

The dragon is easily the weirdest part of Odyssey

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC The team working on Super Mario Odyssey had quite a few members of the Sonic Unleashed team. Once you learn this fact it kinda shows in retrospect, especially with the globetrotting story and all.
What were they working on mostly? Story? Level design?

Also is that a coincidence that a number of people from Unleashed were working on Odyssey, or was there some deliberate move there?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Probably would say Sunshine, because Odyssey is obviously a product of years of refinement of the Mario style, and the dissonance is totally intentional and crafted. Sunshine is like, Nintendo was still coming off their N64 bender where their headspace wasn't really worrying about things like "standard" Mario designs and ethos. That slowly crystallized over the following decade. Sunshine came at that peak fluid state. I honestly wonder what Miyamoto thinks of it now, considering he's never cared too much about keeping "lore" and details together at the expense of gameplay, but it's clear he also does have an affinity for "standard", simplified Mario designs going by his modern influence on Paper Mario or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine is definitely the weirder one. You get to waterboard a boss.
It's unnecessarily cruel and similar to what the history books say Japanese troops did to POWs during WWII

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine is definitely the weirder one. You get to waterboard a boss.
It's unnecessarily cruel and similar to what the history books say Japanese troops did to POWs during WWII

Yeah, there's a few weirdly cruel things in Sunshine, like when you break a Wiggler's body apart with reflective mirrors, or the Pianta who's on fire that you can choose to leave on fire the whole game. Like, even after the town floods, he'll have relocated to a rooftop but will STILL be on fire.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how Sunshine could touch Odyssey on 'Weird' Sunshine is not even close on weird.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine because it doesn;t really drawn attention to itself. Odyssey is all aout how different the various kingdoms are wheras Sunshine just has the weird stuff in it without calling attention to itself.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As much I love the game, Odyssey is straight up uncanny and inconsistent.

Sunshine, as much as I shit on it for being a mediocre game, has a pretty consistent theme throughout.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Theyre both wierd. Really fucking wierd.
Id say Odyssey wins just slightly though.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Odyssey in the sense that it's both a celebration, and a deconstruction of Mario Platforming. Sunshine was built on the same template as Mario 64 with different levels, and objectives with collecting a Shine Sprite sending you back to a hub world. On top of other Mario staples like Lives, Game Overs, power ups, and coins replenishing health. The main difference is obviously the tropical setting and FLUDD mechanics.

Odyssey does away with a lot of conventions of 3D Mario games, and Mario games period. There's no Hub world to explore, Moons are now seamlessly collected throughout each kingdom, Lives and Game Overs were done away with, Coins now buy things like costumes and items, and traditional Mario Power-ups are replaced with possessing Objects and enemies both new and old.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Sunshine seems weirder. I mean the final level is a crappy boat ride. What a weird design choice.

Odyssey's weirdness mostly begins and ends with Mario + realistic thing together.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine is a quirky water physics engine in disguise as a Mario game. Its existence alone makes it the weirder one, lol.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I feel like Mario Sunshine is "weirder" but not really by intentional design. Sunshine suffers from a severe lack of polish in basically every area except its controls which makes it feel decidedly off-brand for a Mario game. It kind of gives me the same feeling as playing a weird PS2 era b-grade platformer like Voodoo Vince or Vexx (albeit with much better controls and jumping physics).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine has the weird ass subplot of introducing Bowser Jr. and the kid being convinced that Peach is his mom.

I'm not sure that there's one single part of Odyssey that's weirder than that. Not even T-Rex Mario, the New Donk City humans, or the dragon.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I feel like Mario Sunshine is "weirder" but not really by intentional design. Sunshine suffers from a severe lack of polish in basically every area except its controls which makes it feel decidedly off-brand for a Mario game. It kind of gives me the same feeling as playing a weird PS2 era b-grade platformer like Voodoo Vince or Vexx (albeit with much better controls and jumping physics).

That's what I've always noticed about Sunshine. Even as a Kid, it always felt like an amateur Third party developer making a Mario Platformer compared to Nintendo making a Mario Platformer.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
On a meta level, Sunshine is easily weirder since it's such a mess of unfinished mechanics, levels, and ideas.

Mario Odyssey is a good weird,

Mario Sunshine's a bad weird.

Pretty much spot on, lol.

Mario Odyssey, despite having dozens of crazy ideas, knew what it wanted to be and stayed consistent in tone and quality throughout.

Sunshine was a blatantly rushed game with all sorts of tonal shifts and ideas that don't make sense for a Mario game.

One positive thing I'll say about Sunshine is that I kind of love the Strolling Stu enemies.

200px-GIANT_STU.PNG

175c62aabde9dd0286b76f535c1dddd65389db80_hq.jpg

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine is earnestly experimental in its weirdness and is the imperfect product of a stressed company in the unenviable position of following Mario 64.

Odyssey is more self-conscious in its surface-level weirdness and is very confident in its goals and execution.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Odyssey is going for weird intentionally. It feels more well thought out.
Sunshine is just weird and kinda nuts. It half doesn't work.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The designs in Odyssey fit more in with the series than Sunshine. I don't know what they were thinking with some of those enemy deigns or why there weren't any Koopas and Goombas.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
The designs in Odyssey fit more in with the series than Sunshine. I don't know what they were thinking with some of those enemy deigns or why there weren't any Koopas and Goombas.
Probably because they wanted to have something new for once instead of reusing the same things over and over. I really like sunshine for that.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Sunshine does weird stuff that's completely out of left field. Like those flying enemies that steal your hat and grow a mustache while your health drains? Like, there's absolutely no reason for them to be in the game. These things completely clash with the realistic and coherent setting, so they stick out a lot more.

With Odyssey, the entire game is weird. That's the aesthetic. Everything is weird, so nothing stands out.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Just in terms of level themes, Odyssey is definitely way more weird (in a good way). Sunshine's level themes (ignoring the secret levels) are more grounded than the typical Mario fare (with industrial based areas like a harbour, a theme park and a hotel).

Though in practically everything else I would say Sunshine has got it beat in the weird department; though Odyssey is still pretty wacky and strange. Odyssey is simply the better game though, but that isn't the point of this thread.