• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for all these devs complaining the PC version didn't sell well.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Consumer isn't helped by games being exclusive to a single storefront. We need competition, not various storefronts all holding on to specific titles. It is the antisethesis of what we needed to combat the Steam dominance.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully consumers talk with their wallets by not buying games in that store, forcing developers to release their games in other storefronts besides that one.

Also, add me on fuck Epic. Seriously, fuck them. Instead of releasing a competent product to compete against Steam or GOG, they are moneyhatting developers to get exclusive games.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Another decade, another Epic attempt at sabotaging PC gaming. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I like how their other pinned tweet is how you can wishlist the game on Steam.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite was the ideal Trojan horse for the Epic Launcher. Damn near everyone has it installed already. Should probably help with sales.

doubt the fortnite playerbase will be as interested in indie games as these devs think they are.

Making 88% of 50k instead 70% of 150k doesn't sound like a good business idea.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
My steam backlog is big enough as it is. No way I'm paying 2-3x as much for a game on a barebones service like the Epic store.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well as long as Epic allows an 88% cut and steam doesn't, devs will want their games on epic. It's up to Steam to offer a larger portion of the games sales to the devs/publisher if they want the games on their platform. The ball is in steams court.

Making 88% of 50k instead 70% of 150k doesn't sound like a good business idea.
In the long term 88% may be the better deal. That percentage is guaranteed, where as "selling more on steam" isn't.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Well as long as Epic allows an 88% cut and steam doesn't, devs will want their games on epic. It's up to Steam to offer a larger portion of the games sales to the devs/publisher if they want the games on their platform. The ball is in steams court.
Then why don't release the game in Steam too? Then they will get the benefits of the cut on the Epic Store and also the millions of users that buy games in Steam or other stores like GMG, Fanatical, Amazon.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully consumers talk with their wallets by not buying games in that store, forcing developers to release their games in other storefronts besides that one.

Also, add me on fuck Epic. Seriously, fuck them. Instead of releasing a competent product to compete against Steam or GOG, they are moneyhatting developers to get exclusive games.
But if they do that, then people will default to Steam :/

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This PC store exclusivity shit is the absolute worst.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This must be one of those games Epic provided funding for during development.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think conversion rate from free to play Fortnite to paid games will be that great. That's why Epic targets these proven indies who may bring them audience to store and why they can and need offer best cut.

Then why don't release the game in Steam too? Then they will get the benefits of the cut on the Epic Store and also the millions of users that buy games in Steam or other stores like GMG, Fanatical, Amazon.

Because Epic pays devs to not put on Steam. They can't do that. And according to rumors, they aren't even allowed to mention word "steam" if they signup contract with Epic.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Valve has some serious work ahead of them.

edit: Epic has seen a weakness in the PC gaming market and they're taking advantage of it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But if they do that, then people will default to Steam :/
Games that are released in Steam and GOG gets sales from both stores. Sure, Steam gets the most sales, but that doesn't mean the games don't sell in GOG. Else, they wouldn't continue releasing DRM-Free games.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Every announcement on Epic Store has me going
acceptance.gif

I want to, actually, I will inevitably and eventually support it, but...

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How's the Epic launcher from a usability standpoint? I'm curious.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Can't wait for all these devs complaining the PC version didn't sell well.

I can't wait for people to come to the realization that there's more to PC gaming than just Steam. Support games, and developers. Stores get better when people support them....

Then hopefully these devs won't have to complain that their games aren't selling well on PC. Steam doesn't mean guaranteed success.

Oct 27, 2017
Games that are released in Steam and GOG gets sales from both stores. Sure, Steams gets the most sales, but that doesn't mean the games don't sell in GOG. Else, they wouldn't continue releasing DRM-Free games.
I agree, but if Epic wants to make serious competition (no offense to GOG but I dont consider them a true competitor to Steam) then they have to do stuff like this, even if it is a time exclusive.

I dont think it is a good thing btw, but I just cant imagine how can Epic enter the market otherwise.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was 50/50 on it being an endless runner anyway, but was going to try it out as I loved the original.

Guess not then.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. It's not even a platform exclusive and people are whining. "I've got a pc but I refuse to play this game if the download comes from the wrong site!". Fucking crazy.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

edit: Epic has seen a weakness in the PC gaming market and they're taking advantage of it.
Valve has already done a great job by supporting Linux, controller support, Big Screen...

Oh, you mean the 30% cut? But they have already decreased it. Then these developers should stop supporting the console stores too, because they also take a 30% cut.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the problems with all these storefronts is the DRM and trusting their servers to stay up if they arent successful. Ive gone all in on Steam because i trust they are basically too big to fail now. People have spent thousands on these storefronts. GOG to me is the only acceptable alternative storefront because everything they have is drm-free. If they go belly up you can at least download all your games to keep them, and copy them to other systems. I only occasionally bother with Origin if there is a big EA game i want. I dont see myself investing much in the Epic store. Shame they are moneyhatting some good titles.

okay

Oct 25, 2017

More like Tencent/Epic saw a gentlemen's agreement and decided to say 'Fuck it'

Valve could easily buy exclusives, it's a private company with billions of dollars.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a lot of devs are in for a rude awakening when they realize that the people that only downloaded the Epic launcher to play a free game aren't gonna suddenly turn around and drop a ton of money on indie games.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like Tencent/Epic saw a gentlemen's agreement and decided to say 'Fuck it'

Valve could easily buy exclusives, it's a private company with billions of dollars.
Yeah, Epic is playing dirty now. Interesting to see the Valve response. They are sitting on a warchest of money.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Love it. It's not even a platform exclusive and people are whining. "I've got a pc but I refuse to play this game if the download comes from the wrong site!". Fucking crazy.

Yep, it's ridiculous. People will complain that the Epic store doesn't have every feature out of the gate that Steam now does... over it's 14/15 odd years... use that as a reason to not support the developers or the store. They'll cite that they see no intention from Epic to improve the store or offer those features.... even as soon as 20min after the Store is announced...

I mean come the fuck on lmao

The sooner this mentality erodes, the better off PC gaming will be.

Yeah, Epic is playing dirty now. Interesting to see the Valve response. They are sitting on a warchest of money.

How the FUCK is it playing dirty? There are games on consoles that get announced as multi plat and then change course during development. Console platform holders secure exclusives for their platforms... that's part of the business.

Valve absolutely should be working with developers to bring exclusives to their platform and secure them.. They never had to because there was no competition... now there is. Too fucking bad...