• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
From the article
Super Meat Boy creator Tommy Refenes confirmed Epic Store exclusivity on the game's official Discord channel. "Super Meat Boy [Forever] is coming to Steam April 2020, a year after it launches," he said, adding that the new store was "desperately needed to get Steam to give a shit".

"I understand people don't like change but...the end result of this will mean better games for people. It maybe more launchers [for players], sure, but a small price to play for a developer community that doesn't feel like they have one choice on PC.

Seems well reasoned enough.

I expect this will anger some people...

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'll get it on switch, but it's still so weird that it's not it's not launching on steam. it's one of those games that's in almost everyone's library.

It's pretty brave to use your game to fight a monopoly knowing it will be at the expense of the game's sales
that's what i think too. sure their reasons are understandable [kinda sorta], but to ignore the huge userbase of steam for your indie game for a whole year must have been a tough decision to make.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
i'll get it on switch, but it's still so weird that it's not it's not launching on steam. it's one of those games that's in almost everyone's library.

that's what i think too. sure their reasons are understandable, but to ignore the huge userbase of steam for your indie game for a whole year must have been a tough decision to make.
The paycheck they aren't mentioning from Epic must be so tough too.

If this was about just changing Steam, they would be selling on other non-Steam stores.
Or are the devs saying stores like GoG and itch.io are just as bad as Steam too?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I stil think this game won't be as succesful as the first, simply because of the gameplay change

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that's what i think too. sure their reasons are understandable, but to ignore the huge userbase of steam for your indie game for a whole year must have been a tough decision to make.
There's absolutely no way anyone is putting their game on Epic's store without a guaranteed minimum or an upfront payment (probably both)

okay

Oct 25, 2017
He says "a small price to pay" but he means "a large check to collect"

May 17, 2018
What's with the "it's just another launcher" response so many have? Do people really think that's the issue here?

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
The question now is: will those games launch for full price on Steam after a whole year release on Epic Store and console? If so, they can keep them for an additional year until they get bundled/deeply discounted.

I also like the "it's a small price to pay": it's not. It was already proven some games are 3x times expensive on the Epic Store than Steam, so no, it's not a small issue for a lot of people. And finally, they say Epic Store is needed to "make Steam to give a shit", about what exactly?

Didn't Team Meat get rich thanks to Steam?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/207080/Indie_Game_The_Movie

So what Steam should do, literally giving them a 100% cut to give a shit?

I'd gladly accept someone of those devs saying "our game will be a one year exclusive to Epic Store because they gave us a shitload of money", instead of hiding behind other "problems".

Last edited:

Zaitengrate

Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Seems fine by me. It's literally just downloading another launcher that a lot of people already have because of Fortnite.
No, it's literaly not. New launcher means you missa a lot of features. Plus, another one vendor to share my personal info with. And consider that half of Epic own by Tencent, i don't want my personal data go to China.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Accepting bribes to keep games off competing store fronts that better serve it's users means "better games"?! How?

Meat Boy's creator can fuck off.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was launching in Switch first?
Wasn't it revealed in a Direct?
Rayman Legends'd?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Boo, so when the Epic Store "Coming Soon", "soon" means "April"? That's not soon!

I'm going to be waiting forever for my PC version of Journey, aren't I? 😭

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
We are consoles now. Hope you're fucking enjoying it, supporters of *competition*.

Consoles don't have several different launchers/stores to start gaming. Exclusivity is one thing, which has been around forever. However, you're still using the SAME PC, just have to get it somewhere else which takes a download and a sign-up.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
It's pretty brave to use your game to fight a monopoly knowing it will be at the expense of the game's sales

Remember when Valve used political and economic pressure to regulate the market in favor of themselves? Or the time they moneyhatted exclusives to make sure they were the only viable store? Or the time they did anything monopolistic, like threatening developers to stay on Steam?

I sure don't.

Also, in a market with numerous competitors like Origin uPlay and GOG, they aren't a monopoly.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's absolutely no way anyone is putting their game on Epic's store without a guaranteed minimum or an upfront payment (probably both)
i know there was money involved, but super meat boy is like one of the biggest indie games of all time, i think the amount of lost sales on steam for year would be way too much money for epic to compensate. not that epic doesn't have the money, but to spend that much to get 1 single game on your store exclusively for a year (and only get 12% of the profits) doesn't seem like a good business plan.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What about those millions of people that bought on steam? What do they get? a year delay just because they supported the game?

Are those people locked to the Steam store? They can ignore other stores if they want but there's nothing stopping them (if they're on Windows) from buying it from the Epic store. The Epic launcher should work on their PC just fine.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I'll pretend this game doesn't exist then. In fact, I just went to its Steam store page and put it on ignore.

As brave as cashing the check that Epic is handing them, yeah.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
"I understand people don't like change but...the end result of this will mean better games for people
Then why don't you independently choose to only release on Epic? Why are you accepting money for that decision? Why do you need to commit to specific period of exclusivity? Hell, why are you already confirming release the game on Steam? If you want them to 'give shit' then don't release it there at all.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
We are consoles now. Hope you're fucking enjoying it, supporters of *competition*.

You cant keep praising the 'openness' of the platform yet complain when you the quasi-monopoly is threatened.

And yes, the supporters of competition that like SMB will buy the game wherever it goes on sale and play it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
88 Percent Revenue Share to Devs
Free unlimited key generation so devs can sell elsewhere, Linux support, Proton, universal controller support via Steam Input, Big Picture, cloud saving, regional pricing, forums, reviews, a freaking search feature.