• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, because that's a stupid business decision. How the hell can you honestly rationalize Epic wanting to work with developers that fail?

People make Steam sound so incredible that it seems impossible that developers could fail on it... yet they do.. all the time.

I remember arguing with people about why it was important for Valve to remain open to all developers at the expense of helping the ones that do business with them actually succeed. I assume certain developers don't feel like Valve isn't invested in helping them succeed anymore and that Valve would rather just skim off of the sheer quantity of devs instead of working with developers and promoting them.
Epic certainly could have tried to take a risk and picked some up and coming indies that have not proven themselves but have a really solid pitch/demo/whatever. In addition to the exclusives they've already signed ofc.

And if Team Meat does not feel like Valve was not on board with helping them succeed I dunno what to tell you.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
If the Epic store was as open to developers as Steam, most games there would fail too.

...no

The steam store is a shitshow for tiny indies because on top of having zero marketing sense, they have to compete with thousands of shit asset swaps that deliver cards and chievos for pennies on the dollar. Sale time used to be when users could discover new games, but unless a title is already one of the better reviewed on steam, it gets buried, no matter which metric you use to sort.

Epic would barely have to worry about curation beyond disallowing the most obvious crap in.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yea, because that's a stupid business decision. How the hell can you honestly rationalize Epic wanting to work with developers that fail?

People make Steam sound so incredible that it seems impossible that developers could fail on it... yet they do.. all the time.

I remember arguing with people about why it was important for Valve to remain open to all developers at the expense of helping the ones that do business with them actually succeed. I assume certain developers don't feel like Valve isn't invested in helping them succeed anymore and that Valve would rather just skim off of the sheer quantity of devs instead of working with developers and promoting them.
This is a pretty disingenuous argument.

People were responding to your point that most games on fail Steam. By picking only games that were in a strong position to succeed on Steam, Epic have in fact not helped save any games from failure.

...no

The steam store is a shitshow for tiny indies because on top of having zero marketing sense, they have to compete with thousands of shit asset swaps that deliver cards and chievos for pennies on the dollar. Sale time used to be when users could discover new games, but unless a title is already one of the better reviewed on steam, it gets buried, no matter which metric you use to sort.

Epic would barely have to worry about curation beyond disallowing the most obvious crap in.

So by banning games that no one is buying on steam and Valve are burying, all indie games would succeed?

I have plenty of criticisms of Steam, but it's utterly absurd to say that the games in the middle ground are severely held back by low quality games.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Well, for the very basics: match standard platform features.
I'm not talking 100%, but things like achievements, profiles, cloud storage, family sharing and so on.

People act like that is some impossibility, but it really really isn't. Put a medium sized group of competent engineers on it for a few months and it's done.

Took Valve years though. Don't really know what the long-term game plan of these individual PC clients are, but no business is going to wait until they have every feature under the sun if they can start making money right now. Software can always be iterated on. I said it in another thread, but even if another company could match all of those features that Steam has, it would still take exclusive software to even get people to look in their direction.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
This is a pretty disingenuous argument.

People were responding to your point that most games on fail Steam. By picking only games that were in a strong position to succeed on Steam, Epic have in fact not helped save any games from failure.
Most games fail on Steam. I never said Epic was getting into business to change that. It's what the reality is. You can claim that Valve is helping devs by actually allowing them to release games on their platform... but they are failing.

The good news is that those devs can still make their games on Steam... so..

And the point was that maybe developers want to actually work with a store that actually pushes them and gives them exposure. That's the developers side. From Epic's side... they want to work with notable devs in the indie scene who have succeeded. That's perfectly understandable.

It's a massive fallacy to believe that any platform could prevent developers from failing.

I didn't say that I actually believe that... it's just what some people would have you believe when they throw around all the amazing Stats that steam enjoys over the other clients.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Most games fail on Steam. I never said Epic was getting into business to change that. It's what the reality is. You can claim that Valve is helping devs by actually allowing them to release games on their platform... but they are failing.

The good news is that those devs can still make their games on Steam... so..

And the point was that maybe developers want to actually work with a store that actually pushes them and gives them exposure. That's the developers side. From Epic's side... they want to work with notable devs in the indie scene who have succeeded. That's perfectly understandable.
As of their current lineup, most games fall at the first hurdle on Epic Store. They are rejected from even releasing.

If/when that changes, it would be interesting to compare success rates for releases across the two stores.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
All that I can say is that their next game will probably launch on Steam (and others) day one. I can't see these games sell very well while being exclusive to the Epic Launcher. While I might buy some of them if they show up on Steam, I know for a fact that I won't install the Epic Launcher and browse their store weekly like I do with Steam, and I'm pretty sure a lot of fucking people are the same.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
As of their current lineup, most games fall at the first hurdle on Epic Store. They are rejected from even releasing.

If/when that changes, it would be interesting to compare success rates for releases across the two stores.
Right, because Epic is focusing on helping the games that they want on their store to succeed... They aren't a dumping grounds for everyone to put their games on so that the developers who they have partnered with get less exposure.

When you buy something.. it needs to reach your personal metric of whether it's worth purchasing or not, right? Well, the same happens in business when companies choose to do business with people they consider worthy of doing business with. A repair shop that allows any old person to fix my car because they can turn a wrench isn't exactly as good as a company the only hires professionals, is it?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
perspectivesv6e5w.png

Lovely 👌

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, because Epic is focusing on helping the games that they want on their store to succeed... They aren't a dumping grounds for everyone to put their games on so that the developers who they have partnered with get less exposure.

When you buy something.. it needs to reach your personal metric of whether it's worth purchasing or not, right? Well, the same happens in business when companies choose to do business with people they consider worthy of doing business with. A repair shop that allows any old person to fix my car because they can turn a wrench isn't exactly as good as a company the only hires professionals, is it?
Mate, come on. I am not asking for Epic to promote random asset flips or guaranteed failures on their new store, but maybe if they did some research and took a risk on some promising titles it would not be that much to ask? The Fortnite money is in the "Fuck You" category still, so it's not like they can't afford it and it would lend much credence to their pro dev claims.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

I still don't really understand your point, other than an irrelevant and patronising metaphor.

Are you arguing that because bad games exist on Steam, these games that Epic have secured as exclusives would fail on Steam? People wouldn't notice Journey releasing on Steam because My First Unity Game is stealing all the attention?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Mate, come on. I am not asking for Epic to promote random asset flips or guaranteed failures on their new store, but maybe if they did some research and took a risk on some promising titles it would not be that much to ask? The Fortnite money is in the "Fuck You" category still, so it's not like they can't afford it and it would lend much credence to their pro dev claims.
It's early man. The store is ~5 days old. Let's see what they do instead of damning them to hell because they haven't done EVERYTHING already.

I still don't really understand your point, other than an irrelevant and patronising metaphor.

Are you arguing that because bad games exist on Steam, these games that Epic have secured as exclusives would fail on Steam? People wouldn't notice Journey releasing on Steam because My First Unity Game is stealing all the attention?

That's valves problem... to figure out why developer are failing on their platform and to do something about it or not. That's the relationship between Valve and Developers... Not between me and them.

I'm arguing that Epic doesn't have to save developers. The pic that I quoted is a bunch of bullshit designed to push the thought that devs and Epic are fucking their customers over for money and greed. That pic exists because whoever made it or agrees with it does so because they feel they are entitled to it. Plain and simple.

You claiming that these devs wouldn't fail on Steam means absolutely fuck all, perhaps there's OTHER reasons as well?

Last edited:

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's early man. The store is ~5 days old. Let's see what they do instead of damning them to hell because they haven't done EVERYTHING already.
The store has been live for 5 days, that's not the same thing.

But sure, I hope they are gonna pleasantly surprise me, it's just that I have been in this hobby since 1992 and I am rather jaded when it comes to these things.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

The only thing they HAVE done in these 5 days is bringing console-like moneyhatting 3rd party games for exclusivity on pc. Epic can burn in hell for this as far as I'm concerned, and we can only hope that the other storefronts won't follow suit.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing they HAVE done in these 5 days is bringing console-like moneyhatting 3rd party games for exclusivity on pc. Epic can burn in hell for this as far as I'm concerned, and we can only hope that the other storefronts won't follow suit.

How is it console like moneyhatting? You need to buy a new console to play these games, do you? Your existing PC does it just fine, so it's nothing alike.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, whilst the store has been active for less than a week, their launcher has been there for over 3 years. More than enough time to improve upon and introduce features and they didn't.

You could buy games off of there long before this week too.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...no

Factually incorrect. Asset flips are not burying anything. The fact is that there are too many good games coming out at once. This is a fact. You can't solve this. Epic wouldn't solve this if they allowed everyone but asset flips. It's just not how it works.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Factually incorrect. Asset flips are not burying anything. The fact is that there are too many good games coming out at once. This is a fact. You can't solve this. Epic wouldn't solve this if they allowed everyone but asset flips. It's just not how it works.
Jim Sterling said it, so it must be true.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

That's valves problem... to figure out why developer are failing on their platform and to do something about it or not. That's the relationship between Valve and Developers... Not between me and them.

I'm arguing that Epic doesn't have to save developers. The pic that I quoted is a bunch of bullshit designed to push the thought that devs and Epic are fucking their customers over for money and greed. That pic exists because whoever made it or agrees with it does so because they feel they are entitled to it. Plain and simple.

You claiming that these devs wouldn't fail on Steam means absolutely fuck all, perhaps there's OTHER reasons as well?

Epic's store launched in 2015.

I think if/when a game fails on Steam it is because it is a bad/uninteresting game, and/or because it was marketed ineffectively.

I see nothing about Epic store that will ensure that bad/uninteresting games, and/or ineffectively marketed games will succeed. Right now Epic won't even let them on the store, and if they will down the line I doubt they will succeed there either.

Perhaps a better counter to that comic would be to address it's key point that Epic haven't provided any benefits for customers over Steam, other than securing a monopoly on some titles by preventing their release on Steam.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the Epic loader has more than a few thousand eyeballs on it daily thanks to Fortnite.

I'm all for this if it drives down storefront cuts, devs getting paid more is good for the industry.
The fuck you got mine types certainly might benefit. I should point out that Fortnite's eyeballs did nothing to save UT or Paragon

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Bullshit. I agree that those games deserve a right to exist. PC is open and these games can reach an audience in any number of ways besides Steam and other clients. That said... asset flips are definitely burying better games on Steam. Many users have commented on this before. It makes the store more of a chore to use. And developers have spoken about how they feel this is affecting them. Not to mention as I said.. the fact that Valve allows this stuff means that there is less exposure for them. And if you feel that they don't deserve any special exposure over anyone else, that's fine, except that's what drives them to go to other places where they will get more exposure.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Developers have been saying for months if not years that they're struggling with visibility. A new thread pops up every couple of months from some dev complaining about steams approach to curation. What's your source for the 'fact' that the problem is there are too many games coming out at once?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I doubt 95% of the Fortnite playerbase will even know Epic has a storefront now, I doubt many will bother with it even if they do.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Developers have been saying for months if not years that they're struggling with visibility. A new thread pops up every couple of months from some dev complaining about steams approach to curation. What's your source for the 'fact' that the problem is there are too many games coming out at once?
Actually using Steam. 100s if not thousands of games launch per day. Obviously they're not all good, but folks are spoilt for choice, and a lot of them are quite good.

That's why it seems to be only indie games that are truly remarkable stand out, the likes of Stardew Valley etc.

Could Steam do more to help? Yes, probably, but I'm not sure what. People with more knowledge than I probably do though.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I doubt 95% of the Fortnite playerbase will even know Epic has a storefront now, I doubt many will bother with it even if they do.
Probably true. For all that I'm glad that these additional stores are popping up, nothing any of them have done suggests to me they'll be a success. They're all so half baked. If they improve as a result that's great though.

EDIT: yeah there are lots of great games, but there are just as many great games on PS4 and Switch, and indie do fine on them because games are not literally buried.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
What I hope this gets Valve to do is start working on Half Life 3.

PC has officially become consoles now.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Probably true. For all that I'm glad that these additional stores are popping up, nothing any of them have done suggests to me they'll be a success. They're all so half baked. If they improve as a result that's great though.

EDIT: yeah there are lots of great games, but there are just as many great games on PS4 and Switch, and indie do fine on them because games are not literally buried.
I genuinely don't mind the extra storefronts, it's just money-hatting third parties for exclusivity that gets my back up.

The lack of standard features does not help either.

And yeah, Steam could do more to highlight game releases, but then some developers would still miss out. How would they advertise them all?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Right it's like how no new songs can get popular on Spotify because there's too many songs, how no new videos can get popular on youtube because there's too many videos, no new books can sell on Amazon because there are too many books, no new websites can get popular because there's too many websites.

You're talking about indie devs with bad/uninteresting games or ineffectively marketed games expecting Valve to bestow success on them over and above other indie devs because of reasons.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

It is worth noting that it only affects those who play Fortnite on PC, too. A significant portion of the Fornite player base is located on other platforms that won't be on the Epic Games Store. I'm not sure the exact number breakdown, though. Either way, if Epic wants their store to be successful, it is going to take more than Fortnite cross pollination to succeed.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. I agree that those games deserve a right to exist. PC is open and these games can reach an audience in any number of ways besides Steam and other clients. That said... asset flips are definitely burying better games on Steam. Many users have commented on this before. It makes the store more of a chore to use. And developers have spoken about how they feel this is affecting them. Not to mention as I said.. the fact that Valve allows this stuff means that there is less exposure for them. And if you feel that they don't deserve any special exposure over anyone else, that's fine, except that's what drives them to go to other places where they will get more exposure.
They aren't. Factually speaking. Anybody that actually uses the store knows the only way you're going to find asset flips is by literally searching for them.
They are struggling with visibility...because they are getting buried by just as a good or better games.
My source is actually statistics sourced from developer conferences.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't mind the extra storefronts, it's just money-hatting third parties for exclusivity that gets my back up.

The lack of standard features does not help either.

And yeah, Steam could do more to highlight game releases, but then some developers would still miss out. How would they advertise them all?
I mean it's something Nintendo manages quite well, like with the Nindies showcase. Valve could be doing loads with shouting about the games coming out on their platform, but they want to automate everything, and let the free market dictate what happens.