• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
da85221323952118.png

7b68641323952113.png

95a6051323952110.png

21f0381323952112.png

a73bf11323952111.png

5b79e21323952109.png

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Forgot to put this in the OP, but if you have a PS4 / Switch you can create a japanese account and download a demo (it's in english too, not that there's any story). It's only three levels, but all characters save for Sonic are playable.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
How good was the original game?

It was much simpler than the preceding games due to being designed around motion controls, but if you have no prior experience with SMB you'll probably like it well enough.

This version does not use motion controls, even optionally, and they've shown specific examples of the levels being altered to make them tougher but I don't believe it'll be massively different.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
I'm extremely tempted but people are constantly saying bad things about the jumping, rails, etc. so I'll probably hold off...

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very excited for this. Haven't played beyond Pirates Ocean since the Wii launch days so the back half of the game will feel pretty much new to me (actually, I don't think I ever even made it past Space Case as a kid).

For those wondering about the music, here's a partial list of what has a new track and what reuses a track from the older games courtesy of @DeddoRain on Twitter:

EGdTolfX0AAvbXg

They are slightly incorrect on Space Case though, which reuses the White Cliffs music from SMB3D, as well as Ultra Heaven which is now confirmed to be new. I really like the new tracks for Monkey Island and Sinking Swamp, the latter of which feels like it could have come from the original games:

Did they mention if a SMB1 remaster was on the cards?

They have a Twitter account where they've acknowledged the demand for the OG games several times, they even did a poll asking what fans want to see next and "SMB 1 & 2 Remaster" ranked just behind ""give us a brand new game". So, fingers crossed!

Does it have Monkey Target?

Yep:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tempted but dont know which PS4 or Switch to pick up

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very excited for this. Haven't played beyond Pirates Ocean since the Wii launch days so the back half of the game will feel pretty much new to me (actually, I don't think I ever even made it past Space Case as a kid).

For those wondering about the music, here's a partial list of what has a new track and what reuses a track from the older games courtesy of @DeddoRain on Twitter:

EGdTolfX0AAvbXg

They are slightly incorrect on Space Case though, which reuses the White Cliffs music from SMB3D, as well as Ultra Heaven which is now confirmed to be new. I really like the new tracks for Monkey Island and Sinking Swamp, the latter of which feels like it could have come from the original games:

They have a Twitter account where they've acknowledged the demand for the OG games several times, they even did a poll asking what fans want to see next and "SMB 1 & 2 Remaster" ranked just behind ""give us a brand new game". So, fingers crossed!

Yep:

Nice, I like Monkey target.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

EGdTolfX0AAvbXg

Yep:

Monkey Target in this game sucks btw :P

Sep 28, 2018
Great OP! God bless you.

This is not my prefered Monkey Ball game, but I do love Monkey Ball and am desperate to see a new one so I am in...

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting temptation to buy this. Banana Blitz sucks, but it's Monkey Ball and I know I'll still have fun with it.

Dammit, Sega! Just give us Monkey Ball 1+2!

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Wait I just realised how close we are to getting this game.
It's been a while since I've played Monkey Ball so I'm excited

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've not really seen any differences in content. Of course, the Switch version lacks achievements and runs at a lower resolution (but still 60fps), but asides from that, I'd wager the two are identical.

Thanks! What's the resolution of the Switch version? Looked sharp enough, I think I'm gonna go with that for portability.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people aren't fans of taking advantage of regional pricing, but if you're on the fence and can't justify paying $40 for a remaster of a game with a mixed reception, it's $23 on the Mexican eShop.

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a massive fan of the original... but removing the original soundtrack seriously killed all interest I had in the game, ugh. This is such a massive disappointment.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
Nice OT, OP! I almost expected to see Sonic in the "Meet the Monkeys" part, haha!

I would love to help out the Super Monkey Ball series in hopes of more games! This series is so unique, plus I love my monkey bro, GonGon! Also, the title theme is so catchy!

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played it at TGS it felt fine to me.

I know banana blitz sucked on Wii but a lot of that was the controls.

They have changed some of the stages here since it is reverting to the original control scheme.

Hopefully the 1,2 combination of fixes can drastically change the game as a whole.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I played it at TGS it felt fine to me.

I know banana blitz sucked on Wii but a lot of that was the controls.

They have changed some of the stages here since it is reverting to the original control scheme.

Hopefully the 1,2 combination of fixes can drastically change the game as a whole.

If jumping is still in then it's still broken. Jumping kills momentum in an instant in a game that's all about momentum. Takes away a ton of the challenge. I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So why did they cut 40 mini-games?

Because barely any of the cut minigames were worth salvaging (I'm not even sure most of the ones they kept were worth keeping). There are like 3 that I would call anywhere close to SMB 1 & 2 party games.

If jumping is still in then it's still broken. Jumping kills momentum in an instant in a game that's all about momentum. Takes away a ton of the challenge. I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

They actively designed the stages around being able to jump though, plus it adds an extra layer of depth to the game for skilled players since there are a ton of skips you can do with jumping.

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone please buy this so they have an incentive to port 1 and 2 or make a new Monkey Ball game.

Side note: Banana Splitz with small tweaks would have been a great game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Because barely any of the cut minigames were worth salvaging (I'm not even sure most of the ones they kept were worth keeping). There are like 3 that I would call anywhere close to SMB 1 & 2 party games.

They actively designed the stages around being able to jump though, plus it adds an extra layer of depth to the game for skilled players since there are a ton of skips you can do with jumping.

Just because they did that doesn't mean they should have. 1/2 had plenty of shortcuts. And that video kind of illustrates my point about momentum and challenge. It's just too easy to jump your way out of trouble and there's none of that tension of moderating your speed or anything.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate Banana Blitz on the Wii, but I'm willing to try it again without the motion controls now. I'll probably pick the game up later down the line.

Also, I do hope that this sells well enough that we'll get a remaster of 1 & 2 and/or just a brand new game.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jumping is in it yep.

But I'm assuming the game is built around it. Not something you can take out without a total redesign.l

2 of the 3 levels I required it by design.

Probably I would prefer without but yeah these ones you couldn't do without.

I had forgotten that you couldn't jump in the original lol.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Holy shit monkey target is in this? Now I have to buy it.

Having played this over the past couples, all I'm gonna say is if you approach the mini-games expecting anything on the level of 1 and 2, you're going to walk away sorely disappointed -- Dangerous Route and Seesaw Ball are the only ones worth mentioning. I don't know if my review will be ready for launch, but I'll delve more into why then.

EGdTolfX0AAvbXg

Ah, so that's why Hidenori Shoji was in the credits. I haven't played the GC games in so long I hadn't noticed they reused themes.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Banana Blitz came out around the same time as Adventure and i always figured there was some internal push at Sega at the time to make Monkey Ball into more of a platformer which is why we suddenly got "3d platformer that plays like monkeyball with no jumping" and "monkey ball but now you can jump so theres light platforming" so close together

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just because they did that doesn't mean they should have. 1/2 had plenty of shortcuts. And that video kind of illustrates my point about momentum and challenge. It's just too easy to jump your way out of trouble and there's none of that tension of moderating your speed or anything.

It's a different take on the gameplay compared to the originals but I don't think it's inherently inferior, there are some fun platforming-heavy moments that they couldn't have achieved in the older games. You definitely cannot simply jump your way out of every dangerous situation either, YanYan can get away with it because she's super light and thus lacks much momentum when going fast compared to a heavier character like GonGon.

As for the video, that stage in particular is literally impossible for YanYan without jumping because she's so light that she'll instantly go flying off the stage if she hits a dash pad, which actually makes her one of the hardest characters to beat it with.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I still don't like the jumping. It allows for some interesting shortcuts but it's basically a get out of jail card for any situation where you're going too fast

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It's a different take on the gameplay compared to the originals but I don't think it's inherently inferior, there are some fun platforming-heavy moments that they couldn't have achieved in the older games. You definitely cannot simply jump your way out of every dangerous situation either, YanYan can get away with it because she's super light and thus lacks much momentum when going fast compared to a heavier character like GonGon.

As for the video, that stage in particular is literally impossible for YanYan without jumping because she's so light that she'll instantly go flying off the stage if she hits a dash pad, which actually makes her one of the hardest characters to beat it with.

Hardest, yet still so easy. And I disagree it is inferior.

I still don't like the jumping. It allows for some interesting shortcuts but it's basically a get out of jail card for any situation where you're going too fast

Exactly right. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up buying this at some point because I'm a sucker and can't help myself, but Sega has to know that this isn't what most fans wanted right?

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Banana Blitz and I'm not expecting greatness of SB1 & 2, but still grabbing this day 1. If it's just passably competent, and nails the minigames, I'll be happy.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I wish they would have made a new version of Banana Splitz instead just because so few people have actually played it. Reintroducing the franchise with a game that has jumping is not a good move. It will give tons of newcomers a hugely wrong impression of the series.

Still greatly looking forward to the PC version. I wonder if it will have any modding potential? That could be incredible.