• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I wish they would have made a new version of Banana Splitz instead just because so few people have actually played it. Reintroducing the franchise with a game that has jumping is not a good move. It will give tons of newcomers a hugely wrong impression of the series.

Still greatly looking forward to the PC version. I wonder if it will have any modding potential? That could be incredible.
Imagine Banana Splitz but with an added game mode that allowed you to play a level at a time saving after each. Banana Splitz had good level design but the game was just too damn punishing. Having to start from scratch at every game over was really frustrating. Even SMB1 let you unlock infinite continues for challenge mode.

Oct 25, 2017

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I hope this is a success I'd love a new Monkey Ball

But they will probably remake Monkey Ball Adventure next instead.

Lighting Gels

Dec 22, 2018
Being a fan of SMB 1 and 2 on GameCube and having not played BB on Wii, I can say from gameplays on YT that approach is a bit different from first two games but it looks quite enjoyable as well

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
They slightly changed some, but they're still not great from what we've seen. Monkey Bowling isn't in either, so what's the point.
No monkey bowling? I thought there was monkey bowling in banana blitz? Have they removed it or am I remembering wrong? Man that's a major bummer.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a fan of SMB 1 and 2 on GameCube and having not played BB on Wii, I can say from gameplays on YT that approach is a bit different from first two games but it looks quite enjoyable as well

I only played SMB2 and really liked it, but I actually liked the jumping mechanic on this one when I played the demo, just ordered it so really curious how the rest of the game plays out.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The side games like Monkey Target and Billiards are the whole reason to play Super Monkey Ball for me. Sucks that people are saying Monkey Target isn't as good in this game.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
it was not the best Monkey Ball but i had some fun with it.
also it's a 30$ on Switch,so it's not too bad.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following this release that closely, why did they change out the soundtrack? Licensing issues? Issues with the main composer? Just felt it didn't fit the series style?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following this release that closely, why did they change out the soundtrack? Licensing issues? Issues with the main composer? Just felt it didn't fit the series style?

Apparently the Banana Blitz soundtrack was largely composed by a company called Noisycroak and Sega can't get their tracks back for whatever reason, so the only world music from the original that remains is Smooth Sherbet since that was done by Hideki Naganuma instead.

It's especially weird since Banana Blitz's tunes were all remixes of Touch & Roll's soundtrack, which was done by an in-house composer, so you'd think they could have just made new remixes of the music that they own. The new Sinking Swamp has become one of my favorite Monkey Ball tracks though so I'm not complaining too much.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently the Banana Blitz soundtrack was largely composed by a company called Noisycroak and Sega can't get their tracks back for whatever reason, so the only world music from the original that remains is Smooth Sherbet since that was done by Hideki Naganuma instead.

It's especially weird since Banana Blitz's tunes were all remixes of Touch & Roll's soundtrack, which was done by an in-house composer, so you'd think they could have just made new remixes of the music that they own. The new Sinking Swamp has become one of my favorite Monkey Ball tracks though so I'm not complaining too much.

Sega not locking down soundtrack rights strikes again, huh. Thanks for the info!

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Having played this over the past couples, all I'm gonna say is if you approach the mini-games expecting anything on the level of 1 and 2, you're going to walk away sorely disappointed -- Dangerous Route and Seesaw Ball are the only ones worth mentioning. I don't know if my review will be ready for launch, but I'll delve more into why then.

Yeah that's what I was expecting so thanks for the heads up.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'm very excited for this. Haven't played beyond Pirates Ocean since the Wii launch days so the back half of the game will feel pretty much new to me (actually, I don't think I ever even made it past Space Case as a kid).

For those wondering about the music, here's a partial list of what has a new track and what reuses a track from the older games courtesy of @DeddoRain on Twitter:

EGdTolfX0AAvbXg

They are slightly incorrect on Space Case though, which reuses the White Cliffs music from SMB3D, as well as Ultra Heaven which is now confirmed to be new. I really like the new tracks for Monkey Island and Sinking Swamp, the latter of which feels like it could have come from the original games:

They have a Twitter account where they've acknowledged the demand for the OG games several times, they even did a poll asking what fans want to see next and "SMB 1 & 2 Remaster" ranked just behind ""give us a brand new game". So, fingers crossed!

Yep:

Doesn't look as good as monkey Ball 2 monkey target

I still want to pick this up though

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Buying this only to show my support but man I really hope we get a 1+2 remake or a brand new game after this if it sells decently. I'm just glad that Monkey Ball isn't super dead anymore.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
It's the best selling one and it has an easy to adapt artstyle, but they really should've gone with 1+2.
They did that already for PS2 and Xbox so I suppose the idea was to give something else a chance. Ah well, Deluxe still looks and plays great and my 360 won't be losing it's spot in my living room anytime soon so I won't be too bummed if this turns out to be bad...

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in this simply because I really want a remake of 1 & 2.

But I'm not paying full price for this. Sorry, SEGA.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the game I would have chosen, and they want twice as much as I'm willing to pay for this. I wonder how well this will do.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Looks like it doesn't even have Monkey Wars, the one minigame from the original I played more than once (basically Monkey Ball Goldeneye).

Instead their "curated" picks include gems like Whack-a-mole and hammer toss.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got the game for almost half price installing. I played only the first monkey ball on GameCube.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to wait for a price drop, but I'm debating just going with the Mexican eshop price of ~$22.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i waited so long for a monkey ball, but im not paying 50$CAD

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I tried the demo and suddenly remembered how much I disliked this on the Wii. It was a huge disappointment after SMB2. The addition of the jump button is bad, and the controls really do not feel good.

I hope others can have fun with this but really it was a huge letdown. Shame, because I love the art style they used.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is playing this thinking the game is pretty easy and wondering when the actual challenge starts, the answer is Cobalt Caverns. It's extremely noticeable where they took out the railings and replaced them with narrow paths, Stage 5 devoured my lives. Getting the no continues medal on this one may give me a run for my money.

In contrast to the improved levels though, being able to use an analog stick really highlights just how bad the boss battles are now that their jankiness can't be blamed on motion controls. Seems like they fall into one of two categories: not that difficult but painfully slow, or infuriatingly annoying AND painfully slow. Jumble Jungle's was easily the worst thanks to the boss frequently making the camera shift in unwanted ways as missiles you couldn't see coming blow you away. The Pirates Ocean boss wasn't that difficult once you figure out how he works but due to how much crap there is to deal with on that tiny arena, I can imagine people will also have a heck of a time with him. The only one I can say I genuinely enjoyed is Detritus Desert since it feels more like a stage than a boss, and Cobalt Caverns' was pretty entertaining thanks to the absurd music.

Worst of all, for some reason they're still in Time Attack mode where they absolutely shatter the pace, even though they had the good sense to remove the bonus stages for presumably the same reason. I really hope they patch them out of that mode, I can see myself enjoying Time Attack when I just want to run through the game like a classic Monkey Ball gauntlet experience without having to slog through the poorly designed bosses.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I know this is a remake of one of the "not as great' Monkey Ball games, Monkey Ball 1 and 2 are among my favorite games of all time, but man did I miss this.

This franchise, and this game, are just so unabashedly upbeat and "video-gamey". I haven't played a game that wears it's arcadey colors, music, and joy on it's sleeve so strongly in quite a long time. Even if this is a lesser Monkey Ball entry, it's still more fun I've had than most games this year, I hope this sells well and we either get a proper Monkey Ball 3, or a remake of 1 and 2.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I think I spent roughly 20 minutes trying to do 9-9 legit before realizing I could just do this:

Also, Ultra Heaven 5 is the bane of my existence.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
GameXplain hit the nail on the head.

They cut 40 of the minigames- that must mean they're focusing on retooling the core 10!

...oh. They're the same. It's the same awful version of Monkey Target from the Wii game.

The game looks wonderful
the music is fantastic
The gameplay is meh
80% of the level design is boring
The minigames are very bad

I feel so conflicted. I weirdly want this to do well so we get a new game or at least ports of the good Monkey Ball games. Ugh.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

I feel bad because this is off topic, but this has me wondering why the fuck Sega can't make new tracks and re-release Sonic 3 and Knuckles already.

More on topic: the review thread for this game has me sad - especially the news that the mini games are trash. I'm worried that we'll never get a remaster of the first and second games at this point, but I'm not about to support the franchise by spending money on a game I have no desire to play. Maybe I'll get lucky and Sega will actually take the right lesson from this.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna get the game but hearing that Sonic is unlocked late in the game and I am eh, I don't really wanna pay full price just to play as Sonic.

I will pass, which is fine as I have Luigi Mansion 3 coming and then Pokémon in two weeks so I am good on games for a while.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Sega in six months: "Huh. No one bought our incredibly random remaster of a mediocre game. I guess people aren't interested in the series at all!"
From what I understand, Sega literally asked fans with a poll on Twitter which Monkey Ball game they wanted remastered, and this is the one that won.

So, not incredibly random on Sega's part. Incredibly fucking disappointing on the fanbase's that voted though ):<

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain hit the nail on the head.

They cut 40 of the minigames- that must mean they're focusing on retooling the core 10!

...oh. They're the same. It's the same awful version of Monkey Target from the Wii game.

Yeah, the tweaks they made to the minigames are so minor that they might as well have not bothered, plus the fact that the likes of Whack-a-Mole and Slingshot made the cut is proof that they just picked whatever rather than the ones with real potential to be fun diversions like Monkey Wars. It's really weird that Sega still doesn't seem to realize after all this time that the finely-crafted party games were a huge part of the original games' appeal.

From what I understand, Sega literally asked fans with a poll on Twitter which Monkey Ball game they wanted remastered, and this is the one that won.

So, not incredibly random on Sega's part. Incredibly fucking disappointing on the fanbase's that voted though ):<

I think you've gotten confused with the poll they recently held asking what fans would like to see next, which was won by "a brand new game" followed closely by remakes of the originals.

Tuftecake

Mar 26, 2018
Just as a heads up for anyone who might still be considering, I don't know if it's in CA as well or just US, BUT if you go to the amazon page of either physical switch/ps4 and click the button next to the little orange coupon banner it should even out to 26 (TWENTY SIX!!!) with free shipping!

(some people on twitter were missing it so here is said button)
NMuGGWD.png

I figured it was worth it for that price at least! Here's hoping the full thing is a fun time

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the tweaks they made to the minigames are so minor that they might as well have not bothered, plus the fact that the likes of Whack-a-Mole and Slingshot made the cut is proof that they just picked whatever rather than the ones with real potential to be fun diversions like Monkey Wars. It's really weird that Sega still doesn't seem to realize after all this time that the finely-crafted party games were a huge part of the original games' appeal.

I think you've gotten confused with the poll they recently held asking what fans would like to see next, which was won by "a brand new game" followed closely by remakes of the originals.

Ahhhhh, alright thanks for the clarification. I had read in a previous MB:BBHD thread that the poll was for this but it looks like that wasn't the case.

Boo! Boo these fans! Do we really want current Sega attempting to make a new, decent Monkey Ball game when we could have ports of the two good games made by old, competent Sega??

bakeray

Oct 28, 2017
Just as a heads up for anyone who might still be considering, I don't know if it's in CA as well or just US, BUT if you go to the amazon page of either physical switch/ps4 and click the button next to the little orange coupon banner it should even out to 26 (TWENTY SIX!!!) with free shipping!

(some people on twitter were missing it so here is said button)
NMuGGWD.png

I figured it was worth it for that price at least! Here's hoping the full thing is a fun time
Was on the fence till this, ty.