• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this game lacked the basic versus competition mode. Like what? I'm willing to overlook a lot of failings of this game, but I'm shocked they didn't bother adding it in. It's the core of Monkey Ball!

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I know Banana Blitz is one of the worst SMB games, but I'm buying it just because I don't want it to go the way of Chibi Robo.. I want my SMB1/2 remake and a new one too. I have zero memory of BB, so here's hoping Target is still fun.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Looking forward to playing it this weekend, been way too long since we had a new Super Monkey Ball

literally just got my shipment info from Amazon.. even though I preordered the game months ago , it saysmy estimated delivery date will be Nov 21-Dec 13...! What the hell? Low print run?

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who has really fond memories of playing SMB 1 on the GC, but never played any of the other games, is there value in getting this? I get the desire to support the release in hopes of getting the rest of the franchise, but if it's nothing like SMB 1 then I probably won't bother.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
For someone who has really fond memories of playing SMB 1 on the GC, but never played any of the other games, is there value in getting this? I get the desire to support the release in hopes of getting the rest of the franchise, but if it's nothing like SMB 1 then I probably won't bother.
Not really, 1 and 2 are still lightyears ahead. This game looks pretty and the music is good, that's pretty much all it has going for.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

The gameplay is not really like the first game, so you'll probably be left disappointed.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I finally did it, I finally beat ULTRA HEAVEN

10-5 is pure evil and will haunt me in my nightmare for years to come. I spent more time on that stage alone than the first 5 worlds combined. I was pleasantly surprised to see that none of the remaining 4 levels came anywhere close to that level of hellish difficulty, 10-8 was actually one of my favorite stages in the game.

Also, you actually unlock something cool for beating all the worlds : Baby Robo as an alternate costume for Baby, who has different stats from normal Baby: max weight and balanced in everything else.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I finally did it, I finally beat ULTRA HEAVEN

10-5 is pure evil and will haunt me in my nightmare for years to come. I spent more time on that stage alone than the first 5 worlds combined. I was pleasantly surprised to see that none of the remaining 4 levels came anywhere close to that level of hellish difficulty, 10-8 was actually one of my favorite stages in the game.

Also, you actually unlock something cool for beating all the worlds : Baby Robo as an alternate costume for Baby, who has different stats from normal Baby: max weight and balanced in everything else.
All characters have alternate costumes I think

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
All characters have alternate costumes I think

Yes, but this is the only one that's essentially a new character since it has unique stats.

EDIT: Unrelated, but I don't feel like double posting:

I'm playing the Switch version and finding handheld mode a lot easier to control than the Pro Controller was. I expected to have a rough time getting the Cobalt Caverns and Volcanic Pools medals but I actually managed them without too much trouble, though it helps that I found a strat that makes 7-2 way easier than the normal route.

Also, I noticed a camera sensitivity option in the settings, and changing it makes a pretty huge difference. If you crank it all the way up to 10 it makes it so doing fine adjustments is a little tough, but in exchange AiAi can pull off a 360 no scope. Worth maybe giving it a tweak if you've been feeling like the camera is a little off.

Last edited:

Sunny Reign

Jul 12, 2018
Yes, but this is the only one that's essentially a new character since it has unique stats.

EDIT: Unrelated, but I don't feel like double posting:

I'm playing the Switch version and finding handheld mode a lot easier to control than the Pro Controller was. I expected to have a rough time getting the Cobalt Caverns and Volcanic Pools medals but I actually managed them without too much trouble, though it helps that I found a strat that makes 7-2 way easier than the normal route.

Also, I noticed a camera sensitivity option in the settings, and changing it makes a pretty huge difference. If you crank it all the way up to 10 it makes it so doing fine adjustments is a little tough, but in exchange AiAi can pull off a 360 no scope. Worth maybe giving it a tweak if you've been feeling like the camera is a little off.
What is your strategy for 7-2? I'm stuck there and have tried cheesing it with speed and bounces but to no avail.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
What is your strategy for 7-2? I'm stuck there and have tried cheesing it with speed and bounces but to no avail.

Behold, my complex and intricate strategy:

I used the Gamecube controller because for some reason I can't go in a straight line to save my life this morning without that octogonal gate, but I've done it without one before so it should work either way.

Oct 27, 2017
I want the camera to be less sensitive as it's very jumpy. I keep quitting and changing the sensitivity between 1 and 10, but I just can't tell which one is supposed to be less sensitive. Common sense says 1, but can anyone confirm?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I want the camera to be less sensitive as it's very jumpy. I keep quitting and changing the sensitivity between 1 and 10, but I just can't tell which one is supposed to be less sensitive. Common sense says 1, but can anyone confirm?

Camera sensitivity just changes how fast the camera turns when you go directly left or right, you can test it by coming to a complete stop and trying to turn around. On 1 it's really slow and on 10 it's lightning fast. It doesn't affect the movement of the camera in general though.

Oct 27, 2017
Camera sensitivity just changes how fast the camera turns when you go directly left or right, you can test it by coming to a complete stop and trying to turn around. On 1 it's really slow and on 10 it's lightning fast. It doesn't affect the movement of the camera in general though.

Oh I see. So it literally is the camera, and not how much the stage flip flops about when you move it up and down. That makes sense, I misunderstood it. Thanks for your help.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the game, and had a relatively fun time in World 1.

Does anyone know how to unlock the alternate costumes? I can't find a guide for it online.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
How on earth do you beat the Octopus boss? He's prob game overed me about 5 times now.

going mad over here

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth do you beat the Octopus boss? He's prob game overed me about 5 times now.

going mad over here

1. Roll behind him, hit the weak spot, wait until he's on the ground again, repeat two more times in quick succession.

2. After the third hit he'll enter his second phase, get in front of him so he doesn't push you off as he goes backwards into the water.

3. Stay away from him when he jumps back on the platform and make sure to jump over the ring of water he sends at you. Hit his weak spot and get in front of him to avoid being pushed off just like before. Do this two more times, noting that on the last cycle he will send two rings of water at you instead of one.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
1. Roll behind him, hit the weak spot, wait until he's on the ground again, repeat two more times in quick succession.

2. After the third hit he'll enter his second phase, get in front of him so he doesn't push you off as he goes backwards into the water.

3. Stay away from him when he jumps back on the platform and make sure to jump over the ring of water he sends at you. Hit his weak spot and get in front of him to avoid being pushed off just like before. Do this two more times, noting that on the last cycle he will send two rings of water at you instead of one.
This is very comprehensive thank you.

I've been trapped behind him many times, il let you know how I get on

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what? I downloaded the demo thinking I could control the game with motion controls like on PS Vita, the way the game should be played tbh, then I found no option to enable this in the game. Wth? How did they overlook such feature?

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? I downloaded the dmeo thinking I could control the game with motion controls like on PS Vita, the way the game should be played tbh, then I found no option to enable this in the game. Wth? How did they overlook such feature?

Literally the main draw of this version is that it doesn't have motion controls. Many fans would argue the series was ruined for a long time specifically because they kept focusing on less accurate alternate control methods with dumbed down level designs to accommodate them. The Wii version is always there if you really want to play with tilt though.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Literally the main draw of this version is that it doesn't have motion controls. Many fans would argue the series was ruined for a long time specifically because they kept focusing on less accurate alternate control methods with dumbed down level designs to accommodate them. The Wii version is always there if you really want to play with tilt though.

Yes but they don't have to force motion controls you know, they just can offer it as an option. There are many platforms using motion controls to be neglected: Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS3, PS4, PS Vita and even phones now.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wait what? I downloaded the demo thinking I could control the game with motion controls like on PS Vita, the way the game should be played tbh, then I found no option to enable this in the game. Wth? How did they overlook such feature?
The main feature of this game is that it doesn't include motion controls :P

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
World 7 is kicking my ass. I've been able to get the champion medals on the other 6 worlds fairly easily save for a PITA boss battle or two.

This world though...

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Got the game the weekend.

Was having a great time with it until I hit World 7... what the fuck is with these levels...? Holy shit. My hands have never sweat so much playing a game. Not sure I'll ever be capable of unlocking the Sonic Character.

The theme song for this game is amazing though. Love it.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to clear expert speedrun is a pain in the ass. Got all the way to 10-5 and of course died there. About an hour and 10 or so down the drain. Hopefully I can get it done soon but it doesn't feel good knowing I'm working towards a run killer that is pretty much just random and luck based. I'm confident that if I can get past 10-5 with a few lives I'll be able to clear off the last few levels without too much difficulty.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this thread as I played and finished the game today (it was fairly short). I got the gold medal on world 1-6 (or was it 7?), and I've already decided I'll never do it for the remaining ones.

This is the first Super Monkey Ball I own and I knew beforehand of the mixed reception, but I admit part of me thought it was mostly because it was too easy and different. But after having played it... no. The jump button goes against the very core of the game and allows you to skip portions of it, while at other times it's incredibly unclear if you're even meant to use it or not to bypass some sections. This creates a rather frustrating uncertainty, and if we add in how some later levels just felt utterly broken (10-5 is the most infamous one, but there were some others where speed pads felt random in how much speed you'd actually get)... I ended up having a really, really bad time after the comfy and sweet beginning. I didn't mind that it was (sometimes ridiculously) easy at the startt, because at least it felt well-made.

I'd like to say it's because I'm completely new, but I just don't know. I tried looking at footage from the Wii versio and it's hard to judge if these issues are new to the HD version. It's unfortunate as the game otherwise oozes style and is so close to being something to be treasured. Instead we have... this. This said, I hope we get to see more entries (and hopefully a remake of 1 and 2).

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Bumping this thread as I played and finished the game today (it was fairly short). I got the gold medal on world 1-6 (or was it 7?), and I've already decided I'll never do it for the remaining ones.

This is the first Super Monkey Ball I own and I knew beforehand of the mixed reception, but I admit part of me thought it was mostly because it was too easy and different. But after having played it... no. The jump button goes against the very core of the game and allows you to skip portions of it, while at other times it's incredibly unclear if you're even meant to use it or not to bypass some sections. This creates a rather frustrating uncertainty, and if we add in how some later levels just felt utterly broken (10-5 is the most infamous one, but there were some others where speed pads felt random in how much speed you'd actually get)... I ended up having a really, really bad time after the comfy and sweet beginning. I didn't mind that it was (sometimes ridiculously) easy at the startt, because at least it felt well-made.

I'd like to say it's because I'm completely new, but I just don't know. I tried looking at footage from the Wii versio and it's hard to judge if these issues are new to the HD version. It's unfortunate as the game otherwise oozes style and is so close to being something to be treasured. Instead we have... this. This said, I hope we get to see more entries (and hopefully a remake of 1 and 2).
Wii version was inconsistent mechanically as well. It's just not a very good game to begin with.

If you liked the idea of the game at least, I'd really recommend you try to play the originals if you can.