• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I'd make a thread to spread some awareness of the neat things being done with this game since a lot of new and interesting details have been tucked away in the original announcement thread.

First off, we just got a trailer showing lots of footage:

In addition, Masao Shirosaki (the director of the game) has been posting near-daily updates about loads of new gameplay features on his Twitter account. All of these are optional and can be left disabled if the player wants. These include:

- A jump button like in Banana Blitz
- Full camera control with the right stick
- A help function that doubles the time limit and places arrows on the ground to guide you to the goal
- A skip button that lets you outright bypass any stage (though it costs 2000 in-game currency to do so and you can't reach the Extra stages if it's used)
- A slow-motion button to assist with tricky sections

- Gyro control on platforms that support it (Switch, PS4, PS5 and Steam)

The original SMB games could be extremely challenging, so it's very nice to see all these additional options to make the game accessible to newcomers (and those of us who are maybe not as skilled as we remember...) without compromising the classic experience for the hardcore fans.

Last edited:

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man this really seems like it's going to turn it around for Monkey Ball after a few really weak entries for me

Oct 27, 2017
4 player local co-op and online leaderboards both sound good, but I hope there's eventually a new entry with online MP. Looking at Fall Guys, there's room for a bunch of monkeys in balls, bouncing off one another as they try and navigate obstacles.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super excited for this. Hopefully they will have a toggle to use the classic sound effects, the new ball sound is kinda awful.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
If there's no penalty I can see myself in Slow Mo a majority of the time. Hell, even if there is I'll probably use it. I've never beat a Monkey Ball game since I bought the first one at launch on the Gamecube.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Nice to see the added options, but I'll be rocking my GameCube controller and doing it old school.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Hmm it looks like the main story in 2 is just gonna be some comic style shenanigans via the monkeys watching the TV. Was hoping it would be remade versions of the cutscenes.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This is awesome, I've been looking forward to this just assuming it was a straight-port. Considering that, 20 years later, I don't have nearly as much patience/time as I did when I first played, these QoL additions sound amazing.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Hmm it looks like the main story in 2 is just gonna be some comic style shenanigans via the monkeys watching the TV. Was hoping it would be remade versions of the cutscenes.
The story now also incorporates YanYan and Doctor, as per the latest trailer, so they couldn't bring it back exactly as it was. I wonder if they will actually have a significant part or if they're just along for the ride.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
They're finally ticking all the right boxes with this entry. I can only hope the level design rubs off on the newer devs for a proper modern followup. Will be getting this on Steam day one short of something being massively broken. May even double dip on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever i see this game i keep seeing Super Monkey Ball: Banana slama and i never even really watched the DKC TV show

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
The gyro seems very precise on the DualSense (the little demo in the Astrobot pre-start section was very impressive) so I might try playing with that. Either way I'm really looking forward to this game.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the originals, but definitely interested in this if it can replicate those faithfully enough.

Also daily demand for Nintendo/HAL to make Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble 2 with gyro, you cowards.