• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Things are different this year. Besides, what else would launch the Switch Pro? I can't think of anything that would make better use of the hardware.
It's very possible that they intended BOTW2 to line up but things got desynced. It could be a number of things that we don't even know about yet though.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Things are different this year. Besides, what else would launch the Switch Pro? I can't think of anything that would make better use of the hardware.

I don't think "things are different" makes sense. Aonuma was literally apologizing in March because they had no trailer to show. I think that if there was even any possibility of it releasing in September or October 2020, we would have at least had another teaser there.

What if they just launched the Pro with a bunch of patches for older games, like BoTW 1 with 60 fps and 4K DLSS? Maybe something similar to how the Xbox Series X launched. I think there will be another game too, but won't be the focus of the Pro launch.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Nate's saying on the Spawncast to stop treating the release of the Switch Pro and BoTW 2 as one and the same; treat them as separate releases. He brought up a point that I was thinking of, which is the fact that they wouldn't give BoTW 2 a 3 month marketing cycle from June to September when Skyward Sword HD is getting a 4 month one. Doesn't matter if it's guaranteed to sell gangbangers anyway, that's not really how Nintendo markets their biggest games.

This is good to keep in mind. I don't know why when Emily broke the news about the pro, people were acting as though Zelda was like 95% confirmed for 2021. A bit of jumping the gun, lol. If Zelda ain't ready it ain't ready.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I think that's sensible, but it does make me wonder what they could launch by September.
Anything. Last year they announced several games two months (or less) ahead of time. And if we're not counting those because of COVID, we've still seen Nintendo do similar stuff before (Mario Maker 2, Ring Fit Adventure, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Super Mario Party, etc).

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
The thing is though 98% of people believed that Horizon would release in 2021 (well...Before the State of Play at least), and both Horizon and BOTW released at the same time, what makes HFW a believable 2021 release but not BOTW2?

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
My E3 predictions

- Crash for Smash with Lucario fake-out
- Metroid 5 (with some reassurance regarding development on Metroid Prime 4)
SUPER HYPE
- Bravely Default and Second HD Collection
- Pokémon Snap DLC
Hype deflates
- Zelda anniversary segment kicking off with Minish Cap HD
- AoC DLC
- Zelda-themed items for Animal Crossing
- Zelda merch
- transition into some indies/3rd party
- Fire Emblem remake coming out sometime in winter
Hype keeps deflating. No Twilight Princess/Wind Waker collection announced.
- Splatoon 3 footage
- Final smash fighter gimmick announced (much like the gimmick for 3D/WiiU when we got Bayo)
- BOTW2 - february release

Why do I think this is possible? Because there's literally one brand-new game announcement, 3 HD remakes and tons of DLC but all those announcements would be super hype FOR ME

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Anything. Last year they announced several games two months (or less) ahead of time. And if we're not counting those because of COVID, we've still seen Nintendo do similar stuff before (Mario Maker 2, Ring Fit Adventure, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Super Mario Party, etc).

None of those were even close to as monumental as the sequel to Breath of the Wild. It's frankly unprecedented in the industry to have 3 month marketing cycle for a game that's likely to sell 20+ million copies from one of Nintendo's flagship franchises. If this is their plan, why not show a teaser in March?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
My E3 predictions

- Crash for Smash with Lucario fake-out
- Metroid 5 (with some reassurance regarding development on Metroid Prime 4)
SUPER HYPE
- Bravely Default and Second HD Collection
- Pokémon Snap DLC
Hype deflates
- Zelda anniversary segment kicking off with Minish Cap HD
- AoC DLC
- Zelda-themed items for Animal Crossing
- Zelda merch
- transition into some indies/3rd party
- Fire Emblem remake coming out sometime in winter
Hype keeps deflating. No Twilight Princess/Wind Waker collection announced.
- Splatoon 3 footage
- Final smash fighter gimmick announced (much like the gimmick for 3D/WiiU when we got Bayo)
- BOTW2 - february release

Why do I think this is possible? Because there's literally one brand-new game announceement, 3 HD remakes and tons of DLC but all those announcements would be super hype FOR ME

Pokemon Snap DLC but no Diamond and Pearl or Legends Arceus? That would be weird.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
None of those were even close to as monumental as the sequel to Breath of the Wild. It's frankly unprecedented in the industry to have 3 month marketing cycle for a game that's likely to sell 20+ million copies from one of Nintendo's flagship franchises. If this is their plan, why not show a teaser in March?
That isn't really related to BOTW2 specifically, but BOTW2 would be a two year marketing cycle? They announced it in 2019.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't really related to BOTW2 specifically, but BOTW2 would be a two year marketing cycle? They announced it in 2019.
A marketing cycle is more when a game is frequently mentioned, more info dropping gradually

the cycle for BOTW 2 in this case didn't really start with its reveal since nintneod stop mentioning since then. It'll mostly likely beginning its cycle once it's re-reveal or after Skyward Sword is released.

Gamer_Gian

Feb 9, 2020
My very LTTP totally unreasonable 15/10 Nintendo E3:

-Super Nintendo Switch 4K + BOTW2 releasing worldwide September (some Treehouse clips with Chiko and co.)
-Metroid V (with a 30s teaser for Prime 4 at the end)
-Xenoblade 3 trailer (launching December)
-MonolithSoft bonus: Xenogears 2D-HD or Xenosaga trilogy HD.
-Bayonetta 3 trailer
-Brand new Mario 2D game (with Super Mario Maker 2 theme as DLC included)
-DK game
-Splatoon 3 trailer
-Pokemon Legends trailer
-Resident Evil Outrage
-SMTV trailer
-Capcom bonus: some more RE (Remake 2, 3? 7? Village?)
-Fatal Frame 6 (or Collection)
-New F-Zero (lol) or GX HD
-Castlevania new Collection with the remaining games
-Batman Arkham Collection
-Planet Coaster complete with dlc
-Some new Star Wars game (classic, prequel trilogy or Filoniverse only plz)
-Dragon Quest XII trailer
-Nier Automata port
-Hogwarts game announced for Switch
-Final Fantasy VII Other Remake (the one on Mobile)
-That "Mario on Playstation" game
-Time-limited E3 demos to download from eShop (Zelda, Metroid, DK...)
5/10 no Earthbound

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Also, BOTW2 having a 3-month marketing cycle is fine, this is a game that had a prequel that sold about 24 million units worldwide (Switch + Wii U and 22 million on Switch alone), Nintendo could announce "Breath of the Wild 2 out tomorrow!" and it would be fine sales wise haha.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
Also, BOTW2 having a 3-month marketing cycle is fine, this is a game that had a prequel that sold about 24 million units worldwide (Switch + Wii U and 22 million on Switch alone), Nintendo could announce "Breath of the Wild 2 out tomorrow!" and it would be fine sales wise haha.
6 months makes more sense, and it would still come out this year in December. But still hoping for September-October and that would be amazing

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Ive only played a little bit of Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, it may be my time to get into the series lol
Go for it! I may be biased, but it's for good reason. The games are incredible! I would certainly recommend finishing Super Metroid or, if you're not as into 2D games, start with Metroid Prime! They're both fantastic introductions to the series

OP
OP
wookiee

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
I'd rather it have HDR than 4K.
HDR is 100x more noticeable than 4K. I often times on my TV can't tell when it's outputting in 1080 or 4K from sitting on my couch, it's most noticeable in text and such or when closer, but I can always tell when it's not outputting HDR.

That said I don't expect the switch display to output HDR or if it does it'll be a squashed version of it. Zero way it'll output the nits necessary for HDR highlights.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
Good night everyone, we are getting closer to Tuesday...and play some more games from your backlog to keep you busy!!

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
You know what would be cool is if in BOTW2, they brought back instruments and you could find songs around the world that do different things. Instead of a story event, they are just around. Maybe you even hear a melody but have to figure it out before you can play it.
This is a great idea! Something I want in BotW2 is for Nintendo to add a large amount of cool, diverse collectables (as opposed to just shrines, korok seeds, and a bunch of samey breakable weapons) scattered throughout the open world. Finding songs that do different things could be one of them!

RavensShade

Jul 31, 2020
BOTW2 doesn't have to be linked with the Release of the pro, but if the pro does launch in September, with out BOTW2, BOTW2 could still release in 2021, but in November along side BDSP, shouldn't be too much overlap there. But, hey I guess we'll find out in ~2weeks.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Me if BotW2 releases in 2022 (WARNING: Champion's Ballad boss spoilers!):

You've been warned

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
While I am still enjoying it, the thing that sucks about replaying Metroid Prime when I'm so familiar with it is that I don't get to really get lost and explore much. I already know nearly everything. This also means that I move much faster through the areas than I want to and end up not being able to take in the full effect of the atmosphere. I'm not really unsettled by stuff as easily. Still, it's a testament to the enduring quality of the game that I still am having a great time and still enjoy the atmosphere, no matter how desensitized to it I may be or how fast I may tear through them. Even on the...5th?...7th? play through, I still love this game so much. I guess what I'm trying to say is...

I need a new one

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
This is a great idea! Something I want in BotW2 is for Nintendo to add a large amount of cool, diverse collectables (as opposed to just shrines, korok seeds, and a bunch of samey breakable weapons) scattered throughout the open world. Finding songs that do different things could be one of them!
hell it could even be as simple as like an NPC tells you that they had this song they loved from their childhood. You track it down and play it for them and they give you some sort of item. That kind of stuff would just be fun imo

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. What I'm saying is if it's not BotW (and I agree with Nate's point), it has to be something. Metroid is one option, I guess? The Switch Lite had Link's Awakening, which was a good fit as it was a remake of a handheld Zelda title.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Good night everyone, we are getting closer to Tuesday...and play some more games from your backlog to keep you busy!!
I got sick and have been quarantined for the last 5 days and have to keep going for at least another 5. Even games are starting to lose their luster. I need something new and engaging because being stuck in an apartment for even a week after the hell of this last year has been torturous

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I have Dead By Daylight on Switch, but I also picked it up because it was on sale a while back on PC.

I still play with a controller regardless, and the game is pretty fun still even if I suck at it. But man, I hope this is also a game that benefits from Super Switch specs. I don't even mind the downgraded graphics, but man does it feel choppy going between Switch and PC.

Shout out to the crossplay and crossprogression though, that should be championed regardless

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
3 months for marketing though... it doesn't make sense.
People have been talking about it nonstop for almost two years now, based on a teaser trailer with no look at gameplay.

The text "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" has already sold people on it; a three month marketing campaign before release (and for many months after) would be fine.

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
hell it could even be as simple as like an NPC tells you that they had this song they loved from their childhood. You track it down and play it for them and they give you some sort of item. That kind of stuff would just be fun imo
In a (somewhat) similar vein (in terms on NPC interaction), I think it'd be cool if say, some random NPC in a town you're in has some dialogue that gives a hint to where some kind of item could be hiding in the overworld. Perhaps a character could be like "I heard in so-and-so village that so-and-so item is in so-and-so place" something like that.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
People have been talking about it nonstop for almost two years now, based on a teaser trailer with no look at gameplay.

The text "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" has already sold people on it; a three month marketing campaign before release (and for many months after) would be fine.

inb4 they pull an Untitled Goose Game/Octopath Traveler and literally name the game "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild"

Jul 31, 2020

Okay, Okay, I'm convinced. It could work.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The real marketing cycle is all the Sequel to Breath of the Wild posts we made along the way

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nate's saying on the Spawncast to stop treating the release of the Switch Pro and BoTW 2 as one and the same; treat them as separate releases. He brought up a point that I was thinking of, which is the fact that they wouldn't give BoTW 2 a 3 month marketing cycle from June to September when Skyward Sword HD is getting a 4 month one. Doesn't matter if it's guaranteed to sell gangbangers anyway, that's not really how Nintendo markets their biggest games.
*whistle whistle*

Status
Not open for further replies.