• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo will want a style that's distinct and which works for DK. Personally, I think Tropical Freeze had that and it could be adapted into a largely linear 2D/3D hybrid game - not dissimilar to Crash, but faster and with more destructable environments, really. Maybe it'll be more like 3D World in that it'll be primarily linear, but otherwise I'm not sure if the comparison would pan out.

But ultimately I don't see Nintendo bringing DK in-house just to ape another existing game from a different franchise (pun intended). What they do has to make sense for DK as a character and as a series.

DKC in 3D has been made.

It's called Crash Bandicoot :)

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
|OTWiiConnectTwent-E3+1| These are the Metroids You're Looking For (Free Palestine // BLM // Trans Rights)

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.forbes.com

So, Maybe No Nintendo Switch Pro Then?

For months now, there have been rumblings that Nintendo has been working on a Switch Pro, a new, upgraded version of the original Switch with 4K capabilities when docked and an OLED handheld screen, among other upgrades.

Opinion piece written on Forbes on the rumored Switch Pro.
Doesn't seem particularly insightful when the crux of the argument is "we haven't seen it announced before E3 therefore it doesn't exist/isn't releasing this year."

Cheese&Onion

May 21, 2020
Some of the worst takes itt over the last few hours…

tenor.gif
I learned the other day that that's the lady who owns the football club in Ted Lasso

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I remember Samus Returns was actually revealed in a Treehouse 😂😂 I don't think they would do the same with Metroid V but who knows? Whatever it takes to troll Metroid fans.
I think that was just because it was a 3DS game, for some reason.
Did that Direct feature any 3DS stuff?
I mean it was the year of the Switch.
Maybe they didn't get the trailer done in time for the full Direct, but just in time to just broadcast it in Treehouse, but to be honest I'd doubt that.
I don't think they'll treat any game like they are second class like that this time.
I mean they are all on one platform now.

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020
All great points in the article. Nate has been saying for the longest the the Pro doesn't seem to be coming this year based on what he's heard. An announcement in June and a release in 2022 would make zero sense.
Yeah, but Mochizuki has been saying that it will come this year for quite I while, and in this particular subject I tihink I trust Mochi more than Nate. And I think that, even though there's no reason to release the revision this year sales wise, the reason why Nintendo might be willing to do it is because their upcoming software needs a more powerful hardware, if we take into account that the revision wil be phasing-out the OG Switch.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Yeah, but Mochizuki has been saying that it will come this year for quite I while, and in this particular subject I tihink I trust Mochi more than Nate. And I think that, even though there's no reason to release the revision this year sales wise, the reason why Nintendo might be willing to do it is because their upcoming software needs a more powerful hardware, if we take into account that the revision wil be phasing-out the OG Switch.
Your software point is a very good one, I'd be interested to see if they do indeed follow through in that way!

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Guys, would there actually be any benefit, for Nintendo or anyone else, to not show anything related to the New Switch in the E3 Direct?
Obviously IF the hardware reveal is going to happen after E3 (which seems more and more likely imo, I mean we're talking about Nintendo)

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Lowkey when it comes to E3 Nintendo predictions I just watch a few and my favorite ones are usually from Rogersbase due to his positive nature. He has fun with his predictions and isn't down like others usually are.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Guys, would there actually be any benefit, for Nintendo or anyone else, to not show anything related to the New Switch in the E3 Direct?
Obviously IF the hardware reveal is going to happen after E3 (which seems more and more likely imo, I mean we're talking about Nintendo)
I guess to minimise time between reveal and release to avoid OG switch sales drop, which isn't a big a problem as some make it out to be. Other than that? No.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
At this point I think we're looking at a July reveal and a September launch. Wasn't September mooted by Bloomberg?

If it is a September launch, then next month for the reveal makes sense. I'd also expect multiple first party games in September and October.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I remember Samus Returns was actually revealed in a Treehouse 😂😂 I don't think they would do the same with Metroid V but who knows? Whatever it takes to troll Metroid fans.
It was the first E3 direct of the Switch era, they wanted it to be Switch only and it was advertized as much. People forget it, but Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake also got announced at that Treehouse.
Directs are back, core games like that won't be announced on Twitter/Youtube. Only EPD4 games and maybe some eshop titles get announced outside of Directs.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Phasing out the OG Switch with more expensive hardware would be a long-term initiative. Can Pro launch this CY? Yes. Will it? We'll find out in due time. It'll certainly make this FY. As for software - the software I'm aware of that takes advantage of Pro in meaningful ways remain 2022 releases. Doesn't mean there won't be any in 2021. The important thing is this: if the system ends up releasing in 2022, it doesn't mean Mochi's info was wrong. Pro launch timing has changed multiple times -- once due to the pandemic.

2021 was never completely off the table. It was more a question of necessity in 2021. We'll find out what Nintendo decided.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I'd go so far as to say Mochizuki is the only relevant source. He is the only journalist working for an international publication with fact checkers and a bigger reputation to worry about that is reporting on this.

Aug 15, 2020
It would be pretty meaningful to me if the Pro lets NMHIII and SMTV hit solid framerates and resolutions comparable to their cinematic trailers. I don't think UE4 was really the best choice for either.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Phasing out the OG Switch with more expensive hardware would be a long-term initiative. Can Pro launch this CY? Yes. Will it? We'll find out in due time. It'll certainly make this FY. As for software - the software I'm aware of that takes advantage of Pro in meaningful ways remain 2022 releases. Doesn't mean there won't be any in 2021. The important thing is this: if the system ends up releasing in 2022, it doesn't mean Mochi's info was wrong. Pro launch timing has changed multiple times -- once due to the pandemic.

2021 was never completely off the table. It was more a question of necessity in 2021. We'll find out what Nintendo decided.
Do you know if it is true that Nvidia is discontinuing the Tegra X1+ this year? If Nvidia indeed is discontinuing the Nvidia X1+, then a revision would make sense and nothing Nintendo would postpone into 2022 I presume, even if the current Switch is selling pretty amazing. It would basically be out of sheer necessity that a revision is released.

May 30, 2019
I know this is all TMZ Prime does
I know this is all TMZ Prime does now. I guess whatever it takes to get your channel subs up. AndresRestart I watched a lot when he was small and now he's fully on board too. It's kind of sad how much they prop this person up. It's hard to watch his discussions now because about every video is based off on person who they "DM with on twitter".
I don't see what the issue is. The person has gotten a lot of things right with minimal things wrong. Even if they're all predictions masked as "leaks" I at least appreciate that they bother to talk about why said thing makes sense.

Pakooly

Jun 25, 2020

Sure, but I wonder what necessity would make Nintendo prone to launch it this CY. It's not sales, that's for sure.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Do you know if it is true that Nvidia is discontinuing the Tegra X1+ this year? If Nvidia indeed is discontinuing the Nvidia X1+, then a revision would make sense and nothing Nintendo would postpone into 2022 I presume, even if the current Switch is selling pretty amazing. It would basically be out of sheer necessity that a revision is released.
I have not heard anything on that matter. Keep in mind that Lite uses that chip.

Sure, but I wonder what necessity would make Nintendo prone to launch it this CY. It's not sales, that's for sure.

Sales would be one factor. Software another. Whether there could be any component shortage impacts. Etc...

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
They only have one platform and a slow down in sales would hit their bottom line hard. That's why they need to keep the base sales level high. Releasing a pro early will guarantee a certain base level of sales or at least give them an idea if they should continue as is with the Switch concept or do something completely different.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
They are not. According to Bloomberg the lite will continue regardless, so they need the tx1 +,

My theory is they will adopt a tick tock strategy. Die shrink/ lite, new chip, die shrink/lite.

And gradually drop of support ofolder iterations.

No more traditional generations. 100% speculation though.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
They are not. According to Bloomberg the lite will continue regardless, so they need the tx1 +,

My theory is they will adopt a tick tock strategy. Die shrink/ lite, new chip, die shrink/lite.

And gradually drop of support ofolder iterations.

No more traditional generations. 100% speculation though.
Suppose though that Nvidia is discontinuing the TX1+, wouldn´t Nintendo just take the opportunity to revise the Switch Lite as well? Maybe that's why we have seen listings with two Switch SKUs (assuming these are not fake)

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Reads like an ERA post, not very insightful.
This is kinda Paul Tassi's shtick tbh. His main beat is the looter shooter crowd. His articles boil down to just regurgitating community sentiment and presenting it as analysis. More egregious in this instance since he's writing a bit out of his wheelhouse.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Suppose though that Nvidia is discontinuing the TX1+, wouldn´t Nintendo just take the opportunity to revise the Switch Lite as well? Maybe that's why we have seen listings with two Switch SKUs (assuming these are not fake)

Depends how hard they will push the pro. The OG needed a die shrunk for them to be able to make a smaller version.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason people still get so hung up about when the Pro is going to launch is because it feels like people are trying to rationalize that it has to launch with some kind of game to take advantage of it when that's never really made much sense to me. The console is a revision. Nintendo definitely want people to pick it up in the long term but it doesn't really need any specific new game to sell it. Given evergreens like BOTW1 still sell, it's probably a far more viable strategy to advertise it on the back of improvements made to existing titles.

A fall release "soft launch" alongside a strong general launch window of games leading up to a harder holiday push feels reasonable to anticipate.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if they released a new Lite version as well. It's usual strategy for Nintendo to release a number of versions for their consoles, particularly the portable ones.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you could bring back one feature from the 3DS the Switch which one would it be and why is it StreetPass games?

Activity log is disqualified from this because Nintendo is keeping it hostage in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.