• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Illusion of Gaia is one of the few RPGs I've played through multiple times. Never got around to playing Soul Blazer or Terranigma. Plan to do a run of the whole trilogy once I settle into my Super nt.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love Illusion of Gaia. One of my favorite games. It was the second thing I played through on my NT, after Super Metroid. Soul Blazer is pretty cool, too. I honestly didn't really care for Terranigma when I played through it some years back. It is on my list of shit to check out again now. Curious to see if I dig it more the second time.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda the opposite with the Quintet trilogy. Bounced off Illusion hard, quite like Soul Blazer (even if it's a little clunky) and love Terranigma.

Not entirely sure why it didn't click but couldn't hold me for the first dungeon or so. Might need to go back to it at some point.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely sure why it didn't click but couldn't hold me for the first dungeon or so.
FWIW I haven't played it since I was like 12 and have specifically not returned to it out of worry adult me will hate it. Going entirely off memory I'll try and describe what made it stand out for me compared to its contemporaries, with the caveat I might come back to this thread months for now talking about how much I hate it, and everything I said here was stupid and entirely missed the mark.

Dragon Quest had the whole jaunty adventure vibe. It is for the most part upbeat and light. Not to say it can't take a turn into more downer topics however these would be exceptions, punctuation, and subplots as far as I can remember up to the mid-90s.

Final Fantasy was sort of the opposite where it mostly played self-serious with the occasional goofy/light-hearted moments. Though the sort of serious it was dealing in was the stern father of responsibility thing. Yes, it all sucks the world is ending, but you gotta brush that off and step up and do the right thing because it is the responsibility that weighs on your shoulders, and you are the only one who can do it. So stop complaining, child, you have work to do.

Illusion of Gaia, on the other hand, took a slightly different angle here of existentialist dread. A sort of coping with depression in power fantasy that as a teenager I would have described as "really good atmosphere" because I hadn't really sat down and read anything of substance up to that point. At the heart of it rather than a stern motivational fatherly voice of responsibility, is instead the endless dread of responsibility and finding a way to carry on in spite of it all. It is about absence, and as such it is hard to point at something missing rather than what is there.

For more modern examples you can see these sorts of ideas reflected in Nier Automata or Dark Souls (I know, I KNOW, it had to come up but it really is a good modern example here), though they have their own flavor and takes on it. Compare it to a more standard power fantasy where your character arc is about how good it feels to get stronger and better. The hero!

To try and put it more simply, it is rooted in the idea that being the hero kind of sucks.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
While on less discussed racing games... I did a marathon of PAL exclusive games last night, and while I didn't spend a ton of time with any in particular, this one did stand out.

Power Drive
If you've ever played Neo Drift Out then you know what to expect. If not picture Micro Machines but with more weight/drifting in the turns.

VYGEokV.png
M7KPjQP.png
O0VTadi.png

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I noticed on 8bitdo's website that they have de-listed their bluetooth snes controllers that exactly match the original design of the original SNES / SFC controllers (and their NES / FC one's). They still have their newer 2.4ghz version launched with Analog Super Nt, but if you're like me, half the appeal is that they are perfect wireless replicas with the color scheme of the original. Plenty of stock all over the web, but if you want them, might want to get them in the near future. Maybe they're just pushing the new one for now, I don't know.

I just got a US SNES one to match my SFC SNES version. I now have 4 of their controllers each matching the NES/FC/SNES and SFC.

I picked up a copy of Stunt Race FX and am surprised that I enjoy it as much as I do.
This game was excellent and underrated when it was new. A great sister game to F-Zero and Mario Kart. It's just that it aged very badly to many peoples' eyes in hindsight of later 3D graphics, so it doesn't have the reputation of the other two.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
I asked in another thread, but I'll ask here as well:

Has anyone here ever had luck getting a BS Satellaview game to work?
Are there methods that work?

I've seen a Satellaview cartridge for sale on eBay (we're talking maybe 15 years ago) that still had F-Zero 2 downloaded onto it, would play for as long as the battery holds out. Can't imagine there's many left nowadays.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
How do y'all protect / store your CIB games? I've seen pics in the gaming setup threads before where it looks like the SNES games on display are all housed in clear plastic boxes, and they either have printed high-resolutions scans of the box art or put the boxes themselves in there. I'd be open to both but at the moment looking for the latter as I start to build up a small CIB collection that I want to protect from dents, creases, scuffs, etc.

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
I personally use clear PET plastic box protectors to store my boxes in. They do a good job protecting the boxes and are pretty cheap. I even store my carts in smaller box protectors.

I don't know where you from, but you can get them from a lot of places. Usually they're cheaper in bulk too.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I personally use clear PET plastic box protectors to store my boxes in. They do a good job protecting the boxes and are pretty cheap. I even store my carts in smaller box protectors.

I don't know where you from, but you can get them from a lot of places. Usually they're cheaper in bulk too.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm not really looking to buy in bulk, but not really concerned about price either. Any suggestions for good sources online?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
BS...F-Zero 2. For the life of me, I cannot find the info I'm looking for. The game says it has 4 different cups, but the Ace cup is the only one that seems to exist.
Anyone know more about this seemingly elusive title?

OP
OP

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing Super Conflict. I was expecting it to be terrible, but so far it's pretty fun...

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Glad I found this thread. All I've been playing since laat weekend has been snes games. Mostly Sensible Soccer, Contra 3 and my wife has been playing a lot of Super Buster Bros. We both are having so much fun.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
From my understanding, there's two games:

BS F-Zero Grand Prix, which was a remix of F-Zero separated into four parts, one for each cup (Knight, Queen, King, and Ace). with each cup having one new track (except the last cup).

BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2, which is just a five course Ace cup made up of the new tracks from the previous game, plus one extra.

Of course, I could be all wrong.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I know Soul Blazer isn't as popular as its two bigger brothers and since it came out so close to LttP it often gets compared. However the sidestep with L/R is a pretty interesting counter to the sword+shield combat of Zelda. I like that it acts as a sort of softer offensive shield, and allows you to adjust course while still engaging an enemy. Not entirely unlike what z-targeting looked to accomplish just a few years later in OoT except less circle strafing and more utilizing the entire arc of your sword swing. I can't recall if Gaia has the same thing as it has been too long since I've played it, but I'm digging it so far.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with reproductions? I want to play Harvest Moon, since I got my Super NT, but I'm not paying $200 for a copy of the game. I didn't realize that game was so rare.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Repros are such a waste of time for non-special chip games. If you're not gonna get a real cart then just get an SD2SNES or install the jailbreak fw on the Super Nt.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got my SNES component cables today. The output looks beautifully clean in progressive scan without colour bleed.

My Samsung Q7 can't do 240p/288p, so I just make it go through my game capture device first.

snescomponent1.jpg

Last edited:

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Woops I just pulled the trigger on an SD2SNES. Looking forward to being able to play Zombies Ate My Neighbours without having to buy a converter.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just won an eBay auction for what should be a 1chip-03 based on the serial. Could be a case swap, but fingers crossed...

The case also looks minty grey, no browning.... here's hoping.

Woops I just pulled the trigger on an SD2SNES. Looking forward to being able to play Zombies Ate My Neighbours without having to buy a converter.
Nice. I'm just right now loading mine up with the smokemonster packs, coincidentally. I've had the sd2snes for a few years and it is indeed the best companion to a SNES. But I needed the memory card for something else recently so I had to reinstall...

redguy on the krikzz forum is trying to get Super FX games working on it. Fingers crossed the FPGA inside can handle it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an idea bros.

So I have a SNES Classic Mini. I've always wanted one of these:

B4E2F77C-9D75-6BF6-8D9A7E5DF0F6970F.png

These are like $3,000 if you can find one.

Fuck that.

What do you think it would take to build a mini one semi-in scale with the Classic Mini? Something to sit on a coffee table, maybe like 2 fee high?

Look at this stupid thing:
41rrk0kOnzL._SY400_.jpg

716tvmveNqL._SL1500_.jpg

They make all these little 7"-8" HD monitors with HDMI input for cars and CC camera systems and stuff, they're anywhere between $30-70.

I figure the hardest part will be recreating the tube at the top, I'll probably print out the logo on a translucent red translite and roll it up with a fluorescent light bulb and find a plastic black tube I can cut up.

The rest would be best as 3D printed and hand-assembled plastic parts but you could also just use wood. Then you print out the recreated overlay designs on sticker sheets and make a vaneer. Shouldn't be too hard to find some kind of ribbed rubber tubing for the controllers.

Am I insane for wanting to do this?

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
Don't mind me, just posting this beautiful Secret of Mana art. Recently played through it for the first time for the SNES Classic Club and absolutely fell in love with it!

CTrKZO7.jpg

I have an idea bros.

[...]

Am I insane for wanting to do this?
Yes, but the good kind of insane. A mini stand to go with the SNES mini sounds like a fantastic idea to me. My biggest worry with this would be the quality of a monitor like that. Input lag mostly. Could go either way, I can see it being really high because of its intended purpose, but also low since it's probably pretty 'dumb' and doesn't do a whole lot of image processing. Something to look into at least since high input lag can ruin the whole thing.

Wood parts will go nicely with that wood display border the SNES mini already has ;)

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I scored a 1chip fat US SNES the other day. The eBay photo had the right range of serial number so I took a chance and bought it (the seller had no idea). Sure enough it was a 1chip 01 or 02 (being that it still has CSYNC RGB).

My god, I'm in love. The pixels are as nice and sharp as the legends foretold. Truly a SNES appropriate for upscaling on a digital panel.

As a bonus, this era of SNES skipped the bromine or mastered the mix or whatever, so no yellowing whatsoever. It looks like it stepped right out of an advertisement from 1991. :)

Only problem is that now I need a 1chip Super Famicom. Believe me I have converters and an SD2SNES to give the ability to play SFC on my US SNES, but I like to be able to play my SFC carts on the real SFC form factor.... so back to eBay hunting serial numbers I go...

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't mind me, just posting this beautiful Secret of Mana art. Recently played through it for the first time for the SNES Classic Club and absolutely fell in love with it!

CTrKZO7.jpg

Yes, but the good kind of insane. A mini stand to go with the SNES mini sounds like a fantastic idea to me. My biggest worry with this would be the quality of a monitor like that. Input lag mostly. Could go either way, I can see it being really high because of its intended purpose, but also low since it's probably pretty 'dumb' and doesn't do a whole lot of image processing. Something to look into at least since high input lag can ruin the whole thing.

Wood parts will go nicely with that wood display border the SNES mini already has ;)

Well there's plenty of HDMI screen options, like the ones people use for Raspberry Pi projects. I just thought it would be easier to grab one already in housing.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back on my bullshit playing super famicom mahjong games. Would a short list of english friendly traditional japanese games (mahjong, go, hanafuda, etc..) be of any use to anyone? Maybe something I could throw together at some point if I'm not the only weirdo interested in this stuff.

sSb2m5K.png
drDt0Wb.png

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I'm back on my bullshit playing super famicom mahjong games. Would a short list of english friendly traditional japanese games (mahjong, go, hanafuda, etc..) be of any use to anyone? Maybe something I could throw together at some point if I'm not the only weirdo interested in this stuff.

sSb2m5K.png
drDt0Wb.png
There's a relatively new SNES-themed podcast out there called Super Nintendo Exploration Squad, and the hosts routinely play mahjong, horse betting, and pachinko games in a segment they've dubbed "salaryman corner". If you do go through with it, definitely bring it to their attention. I can't imagine the show has a huge audience, but it would reach more like-minded folks that way.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
There's a relatively new SNES-themed podcast out there called Super Nintendo Exploration Squad, and the hosts routinely play mahjong, horse betting, and pachinko games in a segment they've dubbed "salaryman corner". If you do go through with it, definitely bring it to their attention. I can't imagine the show has a huge audience, but it would reach more like-minded folks that way.

"We discuss it using the five standardized metrics for scoring a video game: Gun, Vanity, Mystery, Poetry, and Harmony"

Ok, podcast. You have my interest.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up a couple of official SNES controllers in seemingly pretty good condition. However, IMO used controllers can be pretty gnarly, even if the dirt/gunk/etc isn't super visible.

What's the best way to clean them? Mild dish soap? Clorox wipes? Rubbing alcohol and q-tips?

If I wanted to open up and give it a real thorough cleaning, do I need a specific screwdriver or anything or are they pretty easy to crack open and put back together?

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
You can open them up easily with a small Philips screwdriver most of the time, although I did have a few controllers with screws that just wouldn't budge. Putting them back together is pretty straightforward as well.

I generally soak the shell, the buttons and the rubber conductive pads in some warm water with a bit of all-purpose cleaner, while I clean the PCB with isopropyl-alcohol and q-tips. Make sure everything is dry before assembling back together.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I recently cleaned my "clean to the eye" SNES controllers and it's amazing how much crap was left floating in the water after letting it soak for a while. I also used a tooth brush to scrub all the nooks and crannies.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
You can open them up easily with a small Philips screwdriver most of the time, although I did have a few controllers with screws that just wouldn't budge. Putting them back together is pretty straightforward as well.

I generally soak the shell, the buttons and the rubber conductive pads in some warm water with a bit of all-purpose cleaner, while I clean the PCB with isopropyl-alcohol and q-tips. Make sure everything is dry before assembling back together.

I recently cleaned my "clean to the eye" SNES controllers and it's amazing how much crap was left floating in the water after letting it soak for a while. I also used a tooth brush to scrub all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

In terms of "all-purpose cleaner" would something like this work (mixed in the water I soak the parts in)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZDRQR0

Or did you mean more like some sort of generic liquid soap?

OP
OP

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sSb2m5K.png
drDt0Wb.png
What is this game?? Lol!

Dec 18, 2017
So I have a Super Famicom that I've been using to play games on my CRTs lately, an old Sharp, and a much better JVC one.
But I also have some SNES games and a Super Game Boy I would love to play. Without importing a Japanese Super Game Boy or defacing my Super Famicom to make room for SNES carts, is there any kind of adapter I can buy to plug in my SNES games?
Preferably with little to no latency.

I looked on Amazon and there was something, but it isn't in stock any more.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So I have a Super Famicom that I've been using to play games on my CRTs lately, an old Sharp, and a much better JVC one.
But I also have some SNES games and a Super Game Boy I would love to play. Without importing a Japanese Super Game Boy or defacing my Super Famicom to make room for SNES carts, is there any kind of adapter I can buy to plug in my SNES games?
Preferably with little to no latency.

I looked on Amazon and there was something, but it isn't in stock any more.
Either take the SNES cart apart and just insert the PCB (chips face the back of the console) or get something like a Game Genie and cut the shit out of it to make it fit and use it as an adapter. There are probably EU or JP cheat devices you could use as an adapter you wouldn't have to modify but it's probably a lot easier to find an NA one and hack it.

Last edited:

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Signing in with my SNES collection, was sorting through my games and thought I'd take some fresh pics:

NrhXYNv.jpg

eJQWoIr.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Warriors! Awesome!

I have a copy, too, but the label is in poor condition. Yours looks pretty mint.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
That's a pretty solid pack of games.

Thanks. They're my answer to the question 'if you were on a remote island and could only have one system, which one would you want''?

Metal Warriors! Awesome!

I have a copy, too, but the label is in poor condition. Yours looks pretty mint.

Yeah, I wouldn't say its hot off the presses 'like new' mint but it's in pretty great condition. Funny thing about that game, I put out an ad a few years ago in my local classified for SNES games. Guy responds telling me he's got a small container of games, come check em out. Metal Warriors was one of them that I picked out, along with a few others( Judge Dredd, Warlock, Maximum Carnage among them which I've since sold off) for $5 apiece. Some months later I learned that Metal Warriors is a $200 plus game?! Now, I don't collect for value but to play and preserve, but I was pretty floored by that. Why is that game so pricey?

Last edited: