• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I thought I had already posted my collection a while back, but my only post was about the BS F-Zero's over a year ago. Heh.

Anyway, here it is:
KOzE4UZ.jpg

EDuYji0.jpg

a6U0Hch.jpg

Nice collection! Ya got some big gets in there, Megaman 7 and Batman & Robin are worth quite a bit.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've been spending about 50 hours in the ancient cave in Lufia 2.

This was my first rogue-like experience without even knowing what rogue-like is!

The ancient cave is amazing!

Farm those fire chickens!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Been cleaning up some old carts and getting them in working shape on a Super Nt. Have had mostly good luck so far, even salvaged a Game Boy Player and a copy of Bonk's Adventure that had been soaked in Coca Cola years ago. Some games have lost old save files but seem to retain new saves. Most games still have save data which is sort of incredible to me. One problem that's bothering me: I have a copy of Pokémon Gold I'm trying to get working on the Super Game Boy. The cart is in good shape. Everything is clean and appearance-wise it's one of the best of the bunch. But it won't load—the Super Game Boy just shows a picture of a Game Boy cart and a red X when I try to boot it up. It makes a rude beep and then hangs at that error screen. I am trying to find info on this error—can anyone help? Does it think this cart isn't a valid GB cart or something?

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
One problem that's bothering me: I have a copy of Pokémon Gold I'm trying to get working on the Super Game Boy. The cart is in good shape. Everything is clean and appearance-wise it's one of the best of the bunch. But it won't load—the Super Game Boy just shows a picture of a Game Boy cart and a red X when I try to boot it up. It makes a rude beep and then hangs at that error screen. I am trying to find info on this error—can anyone help? Does it think this cart isn't a valid GB cart or something?
Gold is a Gameboy Color game. Super Gameboy cannot play GBC games, only original and DX games.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Gold is a Gameboy Color game. Super Gameboy cannot play GBC games, only original and DX games.
I thought that at first, but it is listed on bulbapedia as supported on SGB, and there are images showing it running.

This is the error I'm seeing:

It sounds like this error appears if a game header doesn't match what the SGB expects. This is a legit cart I've had since Pokémon Gold first released. If it can be fixed I'd like to fix it. I wonder if it's just hosed.

Last edited:

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that at first, but it is listed on bulbapedia as supported on SGB, and there are images showing it running.

This is the error I'm seeing:

It sounds like this error appears if a game header doesn't match what the SGB expects. This is a legit cart I've had since Pokémon Gold first released. If it can be fixed I'd like to fix it. I wonder if it's just hosed.

Gold should run on a SGB as it's a cross gen cart. Crystal won't though. It could be that the pins on the GB cart/slot need a clean too, so try giving both of those a once over. I've found that my SGB sometimes takes a few tries to get going.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Gold should run on a SGB as it's a cross gen cart. Crystal won't though. It could be that the pins on the GB cart/slot need a clean too, so try giving both of those a once over. I've found that my SGB sometimes takes a few tries to get going.
Thank you for the advice. I did already clean the pins on the SGB slot and the Gold cart. I had two copies of Gold but while cleaning saw one of them had a corroded battery with crystals bursting out of it and onto the board. I threw it away. This one looked good and I was confident it would work. I wonder what's causing the issue.

Last edited:

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
You got access to anything else you can test it in i.e Game Boy Player? Worked in my Game Boy Pocket back in the day!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
What's the best place to buy SNES batteries? I've got my soldering iron and all my supplies. I just need to get batteries, now. I want to make sure I get good ones. I don't want to get bad, generic brand batteries that are dead in a year or two.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Time for my semi-annual SMW hack check in. The collab race on SGDQ 2019 has some really interesting stuff. In particular the Celeste stage is crazy (watch the race if you haven't yet it is a fun surprise) to mess with, and fortunately you don't need to complete the stages to get to it.

Embed isn't working for me so direct link just in case: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/444832581?t=13h23m28s
13h23m28s

Can be had here if you want to mess with it.

Also if you are considering jumping in the wild world of SMW hacks (particularly the kaizo variety) then Panga put out a new learning hack which is very good.

Confirmed both work on hardware. No surprise but always good to double check.

The other hacks featured as well..

Last edited:

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Cool! I need to check this out. I barely got anywhere in the other kaizo rom I tried, lol. I think I got to the 2nd (3rd?) level. The one with Chargin' Chuck in between two pillars.
I think the instructions here are clearer, as well he put together a doc so the text can be referenced outside of the game, which is nice.

Also a walkthrough with commentary..

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the Super Nt and the revival of interest toward my SNES collection it had as an effect gave me the opportunity to finish EarthBound yesterday and Super Metroid today, two games I never finished, until today that is!

I feel fucking fulfilled lol, both are unbelievable products of their time. SNES was the shit and still is today!

Now I should probably patch that copy of Mother 3 I have and start it up.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I replaced a few SNES batteries today. It's the first time I've ever done anything like that. I bought a battery holder so I could solder it to the board to keep it powered while I replace the battery and try to save my save files. I saved two and lost two. I lost my Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III saves. I really wanted to keep them. :(

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I replaced a few SNES batteries today. It's the first time I've ever done anything like that. I bought a battery holder so I could solder it to the board to keep it powered while I replace the battery and try to save my save files. I saved two and lost two. I lost my Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III saves. I really wanted to keep them. :(
That's unfortunate, but yeah, that method is risky. The safer way would be to back up your saves first via a Retrode/Super NT/Retron 5 first and then reinject those once you replaced the battery via either the Retrode or Retron 5 (SNt can rip saves but not place them back.).

Last edited:

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or is Pilotwings really, really hard? I have trouble with more or less all the courses, and only on level 3 so far.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
s-l1600.jpg

Could anyone that knows tell me what these games are? I can see one is a baseball game and one is an rpg based off an anime but the others I have no idea. I'm mainly interested in the super gameboy but it's being sold as a lot so yeah.

Thanks in advance.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
s-l1600.jpg

Could anyone that knows tell me what these games are? I can see one is a baseball game and one is an rpg based off an anime but the others I have no idea. I'm mainly interested in the super gameboy but it's being sold as a lot so yeah.

Thanks in advance.

The one with the girl in the yellow circle is called Chibi Mariko Chan, I found this information by looking at the name of the company and the release year from the cartridge label. It's some sort of board game - https://www.giantbomb.com/chibi-maruko-chan-harikiri-365-nichi-no-maki/3030-33958/

Madara 2 is some sort of RPG - https://www.giantbomb.com/mouryou-senki-madara-2/3030-4655/

The game in the upper left hand corner with the robot with the sword is an SD Gundam game - https://www.giantbomb.com/sd-gundam-gaiden-knight-gundam-monogatari-ooinaru-/3030-37554/

Game in the upper right is Super Famista 5 which is a Baseball game - https://www.giantbomb.com/super-famista-5/3030-57711/

And the one on the bottom left hand corner is Super Famista 1, which is only game to get a localization - https://tcrf.net/Super_Batter_Up

The rest of the games don't even have any English translations, well Madara has one in work in progress by Aeon Genesis but it's apparently only 60% and the last update for the project was back in 2008...

Another good way to identify Super Famicom game titles is to google the region code. For example on the cover for Super Famista it's code is SHVC-FA and the one for SD Gundam game is SHVC-KG.

Glad to help!

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
The one with the girl in the yellow circle is called Chibi Mariko Chan, I found this information by looking at the name of the company and the release year from the cartridge label. It's some sort of board game - https://www.giantbomb.com/chibi-maruko-chan-harikiri-365-nichi-no-maki/3030-33958/

Madara 2 is some sort of RPG - https://www.giantbomb.com/mouryou-senki-madara-2/3030-4655/

The game in the upper left hand corner with the robot with the sword is an SD Gundam game - https://www.giantbomb.com/sd-gundam-gaiden-knight-gundam-monogatari-ooinaru-/3030-37554/

Game in the upper right is Super Famista 5 which is a Baseball game - https://www.giantbomb.com/super-famista-5/3030-57711/

And the one on the bottom left hand corner is Super Famista 1, which is only game to get a localization - https://tcrf.net/Super_Batter_Up

The rest of the games don't even have any English translations, well Madara has one in work in progress by Aeon Genesis but it's apparently only 60% and the last update for the project was back in 2008...

Another good way to identify Super Famicom game titles is to google the region code. For example on the cover for Super Famista it's code is SHVC-FA and the one for SD Gundam game is SHVC-KG.

Glad to help!

Thanks so much. I'll use the info to help me identify more games in the future.
I'm guessing the mecha is part of the Great Battle series.

thanks!

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks in advance.
As an FYI, unless this is a local purchase, you'd be better off trying to get a Super Game Boy 2 as it has accurate timing. The other models are a bit off.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
As an FYI, unless this is a local purchase, you'd be better off trying to get a Super Game Boy 2 as it has accurate timing. The other models are a bit off.
Yeah, I didn't realize that until after I paid for it. I bought it off ebay and thought i was buying the Super Gameboy 2. Ah well. The whole lot was under $20. Live and learn.

Thanks.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all, I need some tech support here.

I'm trying to apply translation patches on SFC games I have in my library.

First would be Final Fantasy V, copy is complete and in great condition. I dumped it via both the Retrode and my Super Nt via COPYSNES and both are clean, checked & fonctional ROMs with an OK checksum.

I tried applying the below patch via LunarIPS, as I successfully did in the past with the two recently translated Goemon games and Star Ocean and I can't have the patched ROM to work for the life of me.

www.romhacking.net

Final Fantasy V

RPGe's FFV translation is probably the most famous fan translation ever. It was the first RPG t

BSNES doesn't even boot it, it gets stuck at 50fps on a black screen and it also warns me that IPS patches are shit and should apply and BPS patch instead, which I never heard of and doesn't seems to be available online either, choosing both 'yes' and 'no' on that warning results in a black screen. SNES9X gives me a black screen as well.

Weirdly enough, the two Goemon games and Star Ocean I patched via IPS files aren't getting this warning.

Is there a relatively simple program that would let me convert an IPS file to BPS?

Another game is Tales of Phantasia and the issue is exactly the same with this patch.

www.romhacking.net

Tales of Phantasia

If you're one of those lame kiddies who think that graphics make a good RPG, well you're g

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really into the ROM hacking scene, but I'd never heard of BPS files either.

Just a guess, but if IPS patches "were [actually] shit" then I'd think translations published on romhacking wouldn't use them. Just looking at the latest translation posted there... it's an IPS file.
Whoa! Apparently BPS patches have been around for a while! I'm reading some thread from someplace called SMWHacking and they're talking about it back in 2013.
There's a "Why use BPS instead of IPS?" on byuu's website you can see here https://byuu.org/projects/beat (scroll to the bottom.)

Again, I'm not that experienced with ROM hacks. I've only messed with some for Castlevania 2, which make it a lot better (not just the text, but the double hearts hack), and a translation patch I applied to a Japanese copy of Chrono Trigger.
I'm sorry I can't try that patch you listed out because I don't have a SFC copy of Final Fantasy V.

I just wonder what's going on when you're trying to load it. Why is it running at 50Hz at the black screen?

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best source for legit / non-repro SNES games in great+ condition these days? I'm particularly looking to expand my CIB collection. Is eBay my best bet, or are there good subreddits or Facebook groups or forums out there with good, trustworthy communities?

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Where's the best source for legit / non-repro SNES games in great+ condition these days? I'm particularly looking to expand my CIB collection. Is eBay my best bet, or are there good subreddits or Facebook groups or forums out there with good, trustworthy communities?
Perhaps there is a video game forum that has a buy/sell/trade thread? Maybe you post on said forum.

Ha, but seriously I've bought and sold a couple things here always with a good experience.

www.resetera.com

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread | Read the New Rules in the OP | Scammers Suck

NOTICE: Games that are banned from discussion on ResetEra are also banned from being sold/bought/traded in this thread. The moderation team has taken action against users that have done so. The following games are currently banned: Hogwarts Legacy DISCLAIMER: The ResetEra administration has...

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps there is a video game forum that has a buy/sell/trade thread? Maybe you post on said forum.

Ha, but seriously I've bought and sold a couple things here always with a good experience.

www.resetera.com

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread | Read the New Rules in the OP | Scammers Suck

NOTICE: Games that are banned from discussion on ResetEra are also banned from being sold/bought/traded in this thread. The moderation team has taken action against users that have done so. The following games are currently banned: Hogwarts Legacy DISCLAIMER: The ResetEra administration has...

I've tried here and on GAF in the past without much success (we're a pretty small forum relatively speaking, after all) but I suppose it's been long enough that I could give it another shot.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished FFIII (VI) for the first time ever!

It gave the Super Nt a good whirl! Clocked at 42 hours. I've been sleeping on that cartridge for way too long.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Hey y'all, I need some tech support here.

I'm trying to apply translation patches on SFC games I have in my library.

First would be Final Fantasy V, copy is complete and in great condition. I dumped it via both the Retrode and my Super Nt via COPYSNES and both are clean, checked & fonctional ROMs with an OK checksum.

I tried applying the below patch via LunarIPS, as I successfully did in the past with the two recently translated Goemon games and Star Ocean and I can't have the patched ROM to work for the life of me.

www.romhacking.net

Final Fantasy V

RPGe's FFV translation is probably the most famous fan translation ever. It was the first RPG t

BSNES doesn't even boot it, it gets stuck at 50fps on a black screen and it also warns me that IPS patches are shit and should apply and BPS patch instead, which I never heard of and doesn't seems to be available online either, choosing both 'yes' and 'no' on that warning results in a black screen. SNES9X gives me a black screen as well.

Weirdly enough, the two Goemon games and Star Ocean I patched via IPS files aren't getting this warning.

Is there a relatively simple program that would let me convert an IPS file to BPS?

Another game is Tales of Phantasia and the issue is exactly the same with this patch.

www.romhacking.net

Tales of Phantasia

If you're one of those lame kiddies who think that graphics make a good RPG, well you're g

Your dumped ROM needs a "header". Back in the day emulators needed ROM files to have information in them that told them the correct settings for the game. This information was stored before the actual rom data, that's why it's called a header. Old translation patches are based on these unclean rom files, so now when you patch your clean ROM the wrong data gets overwritten.

I recommend using a tool called TUSH to add a header. After you are done patching you can remove the header again.

www.romhacking.net

TUSH

A tool for adding or removing copier headers from SNES roms. The archive contains a Windows execu

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your dumped ROM needs a "header". Back in the day emulators needed ROM files to have information in them that told them the correct settings for the game. This information was stored before the actual rom data, that's why it's called a header. Old translation patches are based on these unclean rom files, so now when you patch your clean ROM the wrong data gets overwritten.

I recommend using a tool called TUSH to add a header. After you are done patching you can remove the header again.

www.romhacking.net

TUSH

A tool for adding or removing copier headers from SNES roms. The archive contains a Windows execu
Hey, thanks a lot for this, I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.romhacking.net

TUSH

Thank you so much, it worked perfectly well.

Part of my issue was my fault, the 'IPS is shit' warning was because I was dragging the SFC file directly from the LunarIPS folder to BSNES, which detected the IPS file and gave me the warning. The ROM however was nonfunctional anyway without your header trick with TUSH.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I spent most of last Sunday trying to figure this issue out to no avail, so you have no idea how glad I am to finally be able to be done with this. My imports would've felt fruitless otherwise, it was the ultimate goal when I ordered those. :P

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I would avoid eBay for Super Nintendo games nowadays, there's so many repro/bootleg sellers clogging up the usual sales platforms like Amazon Marketplace and eBay now. Your best bet is to see if there's a local Facebook group for retro buy/sell nearby you, most Facebook groups worth anything have decent rules about selling original cartridges and showing boards as proof, better rules than eBay and Amazon Marketplace now, anyways.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
As for eBay, ask the buyer for a photo of the PCB. Also, seller protection will always have your back so there is literally no risk.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017

VideoGameSage.com

It's the phoenix from the ashes of nintendoage.com

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Thank you so much, it worked perfectly well.

Part of my issue was my fault, the 'IPS is shit' warning was because I was dragging the SFC file directly from the LunarIPS folder to BSNES, which detected the IPS file and gave me the warning. The ROM however was nonfunctional anyway without your header trick with TUSH.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I spent most of last Sunday trying to figure this issue out to no avail, so you have no idea how glad I am to finally be able to be done with this. My imports would've felt fruitless otherwise, it was the ultimate goal when I ordered those. :P

Hehe, you're welcome. Have fun playing now!