• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
snes_logo.png

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

This topic is for retro gamers on ERA to discuss anything and everything related to the best video game system ever made. Feel free to showcase your awesome collection, post pictures of your most recent purchases, or ask questions.

latest

The Classics
The Super Nintendo has one of the most robust and eclectic libraries in gaming. Every genre is represented with top-notch games. Here are a few classics to get you started. Feel free to recommend more in the comments!

latest

Super Metroid - Super Mario World - Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - Earthbound - Chrono Trigger - Wild Guns - Illusion of Gaia - Turtles in Time - Contra III - Street Fighter II - Donkey Kong Country - Secret of Mana - Super Mario RPG - Yoshi's Island - Super Ghouls N' Ghosts - Kirby Super Star - Terranigma - Final Fantasy III - Mega Man X - Star Fox - Axelay - Super Castlevania IV - Mega Man 7 - Breath of Fire II - Final Fantasy II

Lesser-Known Gems
It wouldn't be the best game library in the world without a tonne of lesser known gems. Here is a short list of excellent games that could be defined as cult favourites or diamonds-in-the-rough.

Demonscrest_us.jpg

Demon's Crest - Sunset Riders - E.V.O. Search for Eden - Shadowrun - Mystic Quest - Lufia II - Metal Warriors - Cybernator - Actraiser - Soul Blazer - Robotrek - Secret of Evermore - Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Top Gear - Pocky & Rocky - Super Bomberman - Tournament Fighters - Harvest Moon

Excellent Super Famicom Games
A bunch of awesome games never made it out of Japan. Here are some of my favourites! Note: some of these are import-friendly, some are not.

Doremi_Fantasy_cover.jpg

DoReMi Fantasy - Parodius - Rockman & Forte - Front Mission Gun Hazard - Little Magic - Kunio-Kun No Dodgeball - Sanrio World Smash Ball - Sutte Hakkun - Umehara Kawase - Go Go Ackman - Firemen - Dragon Quest V - Final Fantasy V - Star Ocean - Live-A-Live - Shin Megami Tensei - Bahamut Lagoon - Treasure of the Rudras - Far East of Eden

Reproduction Carts
Reproduction cartridges have been gaining popularity in recent years. They afford gamers the chance to play out-of-region or excessively expensive games on their SNES console

SNES-Terranigma-Cart.jpg

Spotting a Fake
Most repro carts are clearly labelled as such (both on the cart and by the seller), although some sneaky fraudsters have tried to pass them off as legitimate. When purchasing expensive games online make sure to check pictures for obvious inconsistencies.

Unfortunately, repro labels are usually identical to the original, so you might not be able to tell if you've purchased a fake until you receive it and open it. A real cartridge board will have a Nintendo copyright inkstamp dated in the 90s, and will never contain wiring or hastily soldered chips. Here is an informative post on the subject from Earthbound Central with photo comparisons.

Accessories
The Super Nintendo had some pretty cool accessories. By plugging these into the controller ports, gamers were given a variety of fun and different ways to play their games. Two of the most notable are the Super Scope gun controller and the SNES Mouse.

snes_super_scope_ctl.jpg

Super Game Boy
You can play all of your original Game Boy cartridges on your SNES by using the Super Game Boy accessory. To play, simply put the cartridge in the SGB, and put the SGB in your SNES.

Also, some games (such as Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, and Wario Blast) have additional features that are only available by playing them on a Super Game Boy.

SNES_Super_Gameboy.jpg

Playing SFC games on a North American SNES
The only things necessary to play Super Famicom games on a North American SNES console are a pair of pliers and a bit of muscle. There are two plastic tabs on the inside of a SNES that prevent a SFC cart from being inserted into the system. Simply removing these tabs ( will allow you to play a Japanese SFC cartridge!

Here is a guide with pictures, although in my experience, it can easily be done through the cartridge slot, without opening up the system.

FLAJUKIGU1UZAZZ.MEDIUM.jpg

Cartridge Cleaning
I like to use alcohol, water and Q-Tips to clean the connectors on my cartridges, but there are a variety of cleaning methods available if you scour the internet. Cartridges can be opened by purchasing a specific screwdriver bit (3.8mm) online.

5c7e87aa-42de-4803-99b3-20c1e1f324c6_1.eecceb413ef1778f6112e5879f32a027.jpeg

Majesco Re-Releases
If you've ever searched for games like Super Castlevania and Contra 3 on eBay, you may have noticed some versions of those games come with black and white instruction booklets. This black and white booklet is generally the calling card of the Majesco re-releases. In the mid-to-late 90s, Majesco reprinted a number of SNES games from publishers such as Konami and Capcom. The games themselves are unchanged but they do tend to go for a little cheaper due to them being re-releases. Their calling cards are the previously mentioned black and white manuals, lower quality, matte cart labels (this is somewhat difficult to pick out), no sticker on the back of the cartridge (in some cases), and the "Assembled in Mexico" text on the carts and on the back of their boxes.

1CHIP SNES Revision

Anyone looking for the 1CHIP revision of the US SNES console should look for serial numbers UN309431*** or UN318299***. You can find the serial number on either the underside of the console or by opening up the console and checking the board. If you want to know which SNES you have here's a handy dandy Google Doc. What is the 1CHIP revision of the US SNES? It's a revision that combined the system's two video chips into one. This motherboard revision was appropriately named "1CHIP" and systems with this motherboard output the best quality picture of any SNES made. For more information check out this detailed retrorgb article that compares all of the different versions of the SNES.

SNES Classic Club
With the release of the SNES Classic console, some users on ERA have created a SNES Classic club, where we're all invited to play through all the games on the SNES classic over the next year. Progress is tracked and there are challenges to complete!

SNES Classic Club - ERA Edition
SNES Classic Club - ERA Edition - Super Mario World
SNES Classic Club - ERA Edition - F-Zero
SNES Classic Club - ERA Edition - Super Ghouls N Ghosts
SNES Classic Club - ERA Edition - Earthbound
SNES Classic Club - ERA Edition - Super Castlevania IV

SNES Classic Club - ERA Edition - Super Mario Kart

Links
Analogue Super NT |OT|

CRT Scanlines and Filter discussion

Retro Game Pricing

List of Retro Game Stores

Special thanks to thepenguin55 for the Majesco section, 1CHIP section, and Retro pricing/stores links!

NessSprite.gif

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Been reliving the SNES glory days thanks to the SNES Classic. Currently playing Super Mario RPG.

Also, I've gotten in way too deep editing PAL SNES boxes so the first thing I noticed was the incorrect Super Nintendo logo. I'm sorry (the red rectangle should be the same width, with the right hand edge aligning with the top of the O rather than the bottom).

Funny thing is, that little fact may help you spot fake boxes since a lot of the high quality boxes you find by Googling aren't scans, but Photoshop jobs where they've relied on GIS resources to piece them together - which includes the common incorrect Super Nintendo logo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been reliving the SNES glory days thanks to the SNES Classic. Currently playing Super Mario RPG.

Also, I've gotten in way too deep editing PAL SNES boxes so the first thing I noticed was the incorrect Super Nintendo logo. I'm sorry (the red rectangle should be the same width, with the right hand edge aligning with the top of the O rather than the bottom).

Funny thing is, that little fact may help you spot fake boxes since a lot of the high quality boxes you find by Googling aren't scans, but Photoshop jobs where they've relied on GIS resources to piece them together - which includes the common incorrect Super Nintendo logo.
You are correct. The logo I used for the OT was refitted for the removed copyright symbol that should have been placed after the "O" in Nintendo. I went ahead and changed it to an official one.

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished a replay of Super Mario RPG yesterday on my SNES Classic! First time I beat it since it was first released. In the middle of Terranigma (Bloody Mary has been sent off to a more restful sleep), and will probably start playing Final Fantasy V soon (with the GBA translation, bug fixes, and passive run/learn patches applied), haven't played it since the GBA re-release however long ago.

I've had a recent renaissance when it comes to SNES (and other retro) games, ever since discovering the beauty of emulation shaders (which I rave about, and provide examples of, in my thread about CRT Shaders + Scanlines.) All my old hardware is packed away, and I don't have a CRT, so this is the next best thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This OP has a serious abuse of the color red x_x
Fixing that now. I didn't take dark theme into account when creating it. :'-(

EDIT: Should be fixed now.

Finished a replay of Super Mario RPG yesterday on my SNES Classic! First time I beat it since it was first released. In the middle of Terranigma (Bloody Mary has been sent off to a more restful sleep), and will probably start playing Final Fantasy V soon (with the GBA translation, bug fixes, and passive run/learn patches applied), haven't played it since the GBA re-release however long ago.

I've had a recent renaissance when it comes to SNES (and other retro) games, ever since discovering the beauty of emulation shaders (which I rave about, and provide examples of, in my thread about CRT Shaders + Scanlines.) All my old hardware is packed away, and I don't have a CRT, so this is the next best thing.

I played through Terranigma for the first time this year. Excellent game. Also, I added a link to your CRT thread to the OP!

Last edited:

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I played through Terranigma for the first time this year. Excellent game. Also, I added a link to your CRT thread to the OP!

Thanks!

And, yeah, Terranigma is great. It's been on my radar for over a decade, but I was always put off by the 50hz lagginess of the PAL version, and somehow missed the NTSC patch until earlier this year. I was a *huge* Illusion of Gaia fan as a kid, so playing a sequel twenty years later is a bit of a trip. It's lived up to my (admittedly skyhigh) expectations so far.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
DoReMi Fantasy is a sequel to Milon's secret Castle, right? I loved that game. What's this one like?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Oh hey, this thread finally exists!

When I moved countries last year, I decided to sell all my retro stuff and go full-on emulation to save space.
Recently, though, I got the urge to collect for the Super Famicom games again. I thought, if I'm going to have one system, it'll be this one.
I bought a Sony PVM and some RGB cables and I was in business, but then the PVM instantly blew up.
I decided the CRT dream is dead and upgraded to an OSSC. I've also been bidding on lots of games on ebay as well as finding carts locally.
As such I've dropped quite a bit of money lately on SFC stuff, but dang if it isn't the best system ever.
Here are my 44 carts in this lil basket, and some shots of games running on the OSSC. Sorry for garbage phone pics.

As you can see above, I recently beat Rockman X for the first time! Really enjoyed that game. Now I'm playing Chrono Trigger (having played about half of it before on my old copy), and thinking about also doing some Goemon or Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei on the side. I fucking love the Super Famicom.

Edit: Oh, I'm also thinking of buying a converter to play US SNES games on the Super Famicom. Are there any games not released in Japan besides Zombies Ate My Neighbors that I need to check out?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DoReMi Fantasy is a sequel to Milon's secret Castle, right? I loved that game. What's this one like?

It's a pure level-based platformer, and significantly better than Secret Castle. It's the #1 SFC game I recommend to people.

Edit: Oh, I'm also thinking of buying a converter to play US SNES games on the Super Famicom. Are there any games not released in Japan besides Zombies Ate My Neighbors that I need to check out?

The only game I can think of off the top of my head is Secret of Evermore.

Agree with the OP -- best system ever. Subscribed.

Should probably throw up Axelay, Super Castlevania IV and Mega Man 7 in the classics list, hint hint. :P

Just saying! (A case could be made for TMNT: Tournament Fighters as well.)

Done!

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt have a SNES growing up so I bought one a few years ago. Its a great console and i'll be getting a mini for Christmas too.

Subscribed

Oct 25, 2017
I....need to learn to love some of those old games again.

The SNES Mini is grand, don't get me wrong. I never owned the big three of SMW, LTTP and Super Metroid, or hardly any of the other titles onboard the device.. I've played them either via rental or virtual console over the years but they and many others were never part of my SNES library.

I did rent constantly in the mid to late 90s, but my actual owned games were mostly fighting games and the DKC series.

It's hard to articulate, but for the clear and lasting memories of the SNES games I did play, I also played a lot of games that just didn't gel with me which is saying something about the amount of games that were available.

Whenever I think about *my* SNES I think about how many friends and extended family members played mine and then went and bought their own. It was predominately a social play thing, and that's my biggest take-away from those times. Not the games, but the people I played with.

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
This is my favourite system of all time, by far. The library of games is simply amazing. There's multiple great titles in practically every genre, so it's sure to appeal to almost everyone. While the competition might outshine it in specific genres (sports games and shoot 'em ups come to mind), it doesn't really lack anything like the N64 did, and it also has its own very obvious strengths in the platform and RPG department.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got hold of one at Best Buy this morning. I've still got my original SNES so I'm mostly buying this as a collector's item, but there are some titles on this that I've never played that I've been dying to sink my teeth into.

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
I'd also like to mention the Super Game Boy. It's dirt chip nowadays and opens up the whole original Game Boy library:

A lot of later Game Boy titles also have Super Game Boy enhancements built in like unique borders, expanded and dynamic color palettes, custom sounds effects and music, single-screen multiplayer, etc. Donkey Kong is a great example of this (plus an awesome game in general). Space Invaders for the Game Boy even has a SNES ROM on the cartridge which you can accesss using this accessory!

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this thread, ran to BestBuy around 10:30 this morning. There was still a sign outside for "SNES Classic Line". Anyway, I didn't see any on the shelves, grabbed a Kirby plush for my daughter, and at check-out there was a Classic just sitting on the counter. I lifted it and realized it wasn't a display box. I asked and supposedly they still had 10 left. Never too late!

On another note, the SNES is my favorite system of all-time, and I've had pretty much all of the mainstream consoles since the 2600. I'm sure this is going to make me feel warm and fuzzy.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Snagged one at BB! Now time to rectify a gaming sin.

I've never played Super Metroid.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Tried to convince my wife I WAS playing a murder mystery detective game, twice, after walking in on these scenes haha

tztlpjD.png

IMKUPZQ.png

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of later Game Boy titles also have Super Game Boy enhancements built in like unique borders, expanded and dynamic color palettes, custom sounds effects and music, single-screen multiplayer, etc. Donkey Kong is a great example of this (plus an awesome game in general). Space Invaders for the Game Boy even has a SNES ROM on the cartridge which you can accesss using this accessory!

Street Fighter 2 & Killer Instinct GB ports gave you a 2-player versus mode when plugged into a SGB, and Wario Blast in the SGB had multi-tap support for 4 player multiplayer.

Nov 15, 2017
There's an SNES game called WarpSpeed that I used to have a lot of fun with. Not many played it, most probably hated it, but it was decent enough to me.

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
What, no mention of the legendary Super Scope in the OP? ;) I had one but only ever played the bundled Super Scope 6-in-1 games. Cool design, but it ain't no Zapper.

Btw the SNES CLASSIC CLUB is open to everybody, no SNES mini required. You can use an original SNES, emulator, Super NT, whatever you want.

I find it's a great way to (re)play the games and it's nudging me towards trying stuff I haven't done before, like the Super Mario World 11-exit and item glitches or finally finishing all F-Zero leagues on Master.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like to mention the Super Game Boy. It's dirt chip nowadays and opens up the whole original Game Boy library
Because my parents were interested in buying me a N64 since I had a perfectly good SNES to play with, they got me one of these so I could continue getting new games when SNES games stopped being sold so I have a lot of nostalgia for the SGB.

Despite the title, this is a really good article on how the SGB works and its failed potential.
http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/fuck-the-super-game-boy-introduction

What, no mention of the legendary Super Scope in the OP? ;) I had one but only ever played the bundled Super Scope 6-in-1 games. Cool design, but it ain't no Zapper.
I have one in a cupboard after finding it in a charity store. Haven't even tried the pack-in games lol

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the SNES mini classic is fantastic. I'm having more fun with this console than with my Switch or PS4. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug. Amazing.
Now...is there a chance I'm going to brick my console if I try to hack it (with the well known hacking software)? Is it allowed to talk about hacking the SNES mini? It seems pretty easy tbh.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd also like to mention the Super Game Boy. It's dirt chip nowadays and opens up the whole original Game Boy library:

But it should be mentioned that the SGB runs GB games too fast and if you want to play them at the correct speed you need the Japan-only SGB2.

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
I have one in a cupboard after finding it in a charity store. Haven't even tried the pack-in games lol
You should give it a shot ;) If you have a spare CRT around somewhere that is.

Man, the SNES mini classic is fantastic. I'm having more fun with this console than with my Switch or PS4. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug. Amazing.
Now...is there a chance I'm going to brick my console if I try to hack it (with the well known hacking software)? Is it allowed to talk about hacking the SNES mini? It seems pretty easy tbh.
Agreed. I love the little thing, it has definitely rekindled my love for the SNES. Those crisp, chunky pixels on the big screen mmmm tasty.

There is a special thread dedicated to SNES mini hacking so I'm pretty sure discussing it is fine, but better suited for that thread. I've done it and you are correct, it is easy. The process is pretty mature since it's the same as the NES mini so the risk seems quite low.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
So I was thinking... is there a single game in the NTSC-U library where the art on the cartridge label didn't match the box art? I'm struggling to think of any examples.

Oct 25, 2017
You should give it a shot ;) If you have a spare CRT around somewhere that is.

Agreed. I love the little thing, it has definitely rekindled my love for the SNES. Those crisp, chunky pixels on the big screen mmmm tasty.

There is a special thread dedicated to SNES mini hacking so I'm pretty sure discussing it is fine, but better suited for that thread. I've done it and you are correct, it is easy. The process is pretty mature since it's the same as the NES mini so the risk seems quite low.

Perfect, thanks!

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
But it should be mentioned that the SGB runs GB games too fast and if you want to play them at the correct speed you need the Japan-only SGB2.

Good point. The Super Game Boy is around 2.4% faster than a normal Game Boy. The difference is very slight and not really noticable for most people, unless they directly compare them side by side. So unless you're very sensitive for small timing differences, a speedrunner or simply a purist, it might not be worth it. The original Super Game Boy is quite a bit cheaper and way easier to find. Still, it's worth mentioning for people who want 100% accurate game speed playing Game Boy games on the big screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Returns is still amazing, woah. Imo the best Batman game of all time. The music, atmosphere, pacing, fun....it's great. I still love Arkham Asylum of course but Batman Returns is the king ^^

edit: And it was made by Konami....what the hell happened.

Last edited:

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Batman Returns is still amazing, woah. Imo the best Batman game of all time. The music, atmosphere, pacing, fun....it's great. I still love Arkham Asylum of course but Batman Returns is the king ^^

edit: And it was made by Konami....what the hell happened.

It was my beat 'em up of choice back in the day! The ability to pick up two enemies and crack their heads together, always raised a smile. Or throwing them back against the wall, smashing windows. Felt so goood!

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
It's a very satisfying beat 'em up, which is one of the most important qualities a beat 'em up can have in my opinion. You're mostly doing the same thing over and over again, so it at least needs to feel right. Sound design also plays an important part here, and Batman Returns nails this as well. Those thumps are just so satisfying to hear.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Anybody here has the 8bitdo SNES retro receiver? I know it can sync with a Wiimote, but can you also use a classic controller connected to the Wiimote?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the PAL release that Retro-Bit are doing for theirs SNES games run at 50hz or are they the full speed 60hz. Would rather get the PAL version if its confirmed 60hz as the cart will fit in both my US SNES Mini and also my Super Famicom??

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Anybody here has the 8bitdo SNES retro receiver? I know it can sync with a Wiimote, but can you also use a classic controller connected to the Wiimote?

Well, received the receiver this week. The answer to my question is yes. Sadly it does not work with my Wii Fighting Stick. It keeps detecting that the joystick is pushing down.

Now, if only the Snes mini controllers were sold separately from the console, I could use them with the wiimote and the receiver on a real Snes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to add to my collection, and these are the games I'm looking at right now:
  • UN Squadron
  • Super Ninja Boy
  • Dragon View
  • Brain Lord
Thoughts on these titles?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
@#$%

i got to the Ghost Ship boss in Seiken Densetsu III but the game keeps locking up on me - playing on an SD2SNES, pretty sure the ROM i got was legit at the time but feeling less so now. any way to salvage my game save & try another one? ive even got a repro cart of this translation from years back but really dont wanna start over

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just finished Batman Returns. Such a great game. Now I'm looking for recommendations of fighting games and beat em ups, prefereibly those that were not released on America. As far as fighting games, I know about Gundam Wing. Are there others not as well known that you guys recommend?