• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
After 5 years the Chrono Trigger Lavos sound bug was suddenly fixed in the latest firmware. I had long given up it ever being addressed.
  • Fixed Chrono Trigger final boss sound.

View: https://youtu.be/mIU-RqYViE0?t=12

(Bugged sound for comparison. https://youtu.be/wiK-GlmBsW4?t=12)

Got an email from Strictly Limited Games just now that the firmware supposedly fixes the problem with their snes carts not running on Super NT. In my case it was the rereleases of Cotton 100% and Wild Guns respectively, both NTSC versions. I haven't tried it yet myself though, so I can't confirm yet.

Edit: Can confirm, both Cotton 100% and Wild Guns now work on the new firmware. \o/

Last edited:

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing no one else has received follow up emails on the last run. I ordered a Super NT and a Mega SG.

May 21, 2021
"Mega Sg preorders will begin shipping the week of June 19th. Super Nt orders will begin shipping the week of June 26. If you ordered a Mega Sg and a Super Nt, your order will ship the week of June 26th. Emails will be sent to everyone who has preordered a Mega Sg shortly and Super Nts (June 19th) in case you need to change your delivery address."

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Wondering about that, too.

I've been waiting for this to apply the update, usually it's the next day but this time it's different. I also asked SmokeMonster via comments on YT since I no longer have a Twitter account to no avail.
As I made some small updates in the OP, I saw that Super NT had two OFW updates in a short time. Makes me think CFW was delayed due to the quick OFW update… Hoping at least (slight jealousy from the Mega and miniNT CFWs).

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
As I made some small updates in the OP, I saw that Super NT had two OFW updates in a short time. Makes me think CFW was delayed due to the quick OFW update… Hoping at least (slight jealousy from the Mega and miniNT CFWs).
It's now out.

github.com

GitHub - analoguejb/Analogue-Super-Nt-JB

Contribute to analoguejb/Analogue-Super-Nt-JB development by creating an account on GitHub.

JB Firmware V7.2

• Now supports all hardware versions.
  • Fixed screen tearing when using fully buffer mode.
  • Fixed spaces in menus so they are highlighted now for consistency.
  • Fixed Game Genie: turn on "launch system timing" in hardware menu.
  • Fixed SNES Powerpak: turn on "launch system timing" in hardware menu.
  • Fixed Hori SGB Commander issue.
  • Fixed R-type 3/Super R-type issue.
  • Fixed Wing Commander drum sound.
  • Fixed Romancing SaGa 3 battle sound.
  • Fixed Final Fantasy 2/4 final boss sound.
  • Fixed Chrono Trigger final boss sound.
  • Fixed Harukanaru Augusta 3 graphics issue.
  • Fixed Power Soukoban graphics issue.
  • Fixed Mega Lo Mania shield graphic.
  • Fixed save-game loading for Slayers.
  • Fixed 72hr Kaizo audio bug - enable SPC RAM startup state in the hardware menu.
  • Fixed certain recent homebrew/official reproduction cartridges, like Wild Guns and Cotton 100% not booting.
  • Reload Save RAM added to the tools menu - Saves can now be reloaded onto cartridges from a file.
  • Fixed Copysnes save RAM reading bugs.
  • Fixed Copysnes SDD-1 detection.
  • Fixed Fire Emblem 5 patch issue.
  • Fixed Rockman X2 speed issue.
  • Fixed when exiting SPC player in 720p no longer resulting in 120Hz video.
  • Fixed SPC LED color.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that's awesome! I've been keeping an eye out for an OSCR specifically for this.
  • Reload Save RAM added to the tools menu - Saves can now be reloaded onto cartridges from a file.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my fingers crossed for being able to write saves to carts since this thing was released.
Fabulous.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly a stupid question, but can you also take the save file off the cartridge to back up?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly a stupid question, but can you also take the save file off the cartridge to back up?

I can't remember since it's been so long since I messed with my FPGA systems, but I FEEL like this is something you can do with CopySNES on the SuperNT?

Yup. CopySNES pulls .srm files off the carts onto your SD card.

On that note, has anyone successfully migrated a save back to a cart? I've tried with a few .srm files from SNES9X and the Super NES Mini, but I always end up with blank save files. Copying the .srm created by CopySNES back onto the cart always works, however.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. CopySNES pulls .srm files off the carts onto your SD card.

On that note, has anyone successfully migrated a save back to a cart? I've tried with a few .srm files from SNES9X and the Super NES Mini, but I always end up with blank save files. Copying the .srm created by CopySNES back onto the cart always works, however.
Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet but if you are familiar with using a hex editor can open up the snes9x and copySNES srm files and compare. My guess would be they pad the files differently or not at all.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet but if you are familiar with using a hex editor can open up the snes9x and copySNES srm files and compare. My guess would be they pad the files differently or not at all.

Turns out I'm just a dummy and was using empty save files. This morning I migrated an old emulator save (SNES9X, so I converted the .sav to a .srm) for Lufia II and it worked like a charm!

View: https://twitter.com/adribbleofink/status/1679939686587068416

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I just was gifted one of these. Very cool gift! Question for those of y'all that have run it for a while with custom firmware: when running games from the SD card, do you still get all the audiovisual goodness that you would running a game from the cart? Or is it about the same as running things off a raspberry pi at that point?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I just was gifted one of these. Very cool gift! Question for those of y'all that have run it for a while with custom firmware: when running games from the SD card, do you still get all the audiovisual goodness that you would running a game from the cart? Or is it about the same as running things off a raspberry pi at that point?
Wow, congratulations! That's a pretty great gift!

Are you talking about carts with additional hardware, like StarFox or Doom or... whatever else with an "enhancement chip?"
Those won't work if you try to run them off the SD card. Or at least, they didn't when I was still messing around with mine. You'd need like... an FXPAK Pro (I think they're called now?) to play those.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

Are you talking about carts with additional hardware, like StarFox or Doom or... whatever else with an "enhancement chip?"
Those won't work if you try to run them off the SD card. Or at least, they didn't when I was still messing around with mine. You'd need like... an FXPAK Pro (I think they're called now?) to play those.

You just need the correct BIOS files to run carts with special chips:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Oct 27, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Hey yeah! Thanks!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

- YouTube

Whoa! I never knew this!

Lol, I kinda want to mess with this stuff now, but I don't have any carts with special chips to dump anyways, lol.
I wonder if they did any of that MSU magic I've seen videos of...

Seik

Banned
Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
Can anyone with a unit here confirm if this happens to them as well under Jailbreak V7.2? Posted this on the github 4 days ago with no answer, maybe someone here can counter-test this?

github.com

Pocky & Rocky - Flashing screen in 1P & 2P while Rocky is shooting & moving. · Issue #208 · SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak

Video of the problem: https://youtu.be/qwzCr4zt0io I've been trying a couple games with a friend and everything was fine and good, but when playing Pocky & Rocky in 2P, the screen started flashing ...

How to reproduce the problem: Rocky the Racoon needs to be selected in single player or multiplayer, as soon as the game starts, the moment Rocky shoots and moves, the whole screen starts flickering like in the video.

View: https://youtu.be/qwzCr4zt0io

Last edited:

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Wow the ability to write a save back to the cart is the only thing that I wanted that the machine couldn't do. I asked about it years ago and was told "well pay kevtris to write you a personal custom firmware" which was laughable.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Can anyone with a unit here confirm if this happens to them as well under Jailbreak V7.2? Posted this on the github 4 days ago with no answer, maybe someone here can counter-test this?

github.com

Pocky & Rocky - Flashing screen in 1P & 2P while Rocky is shooting & moving. · Issue #208 · SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak

Video of the problem: https://youtu.be/qwzCr4zt0io I've been trying a couple games with a friend and everything was fine and good, but when playing Pocky & Rocky in 2P, the screen started flashing ...

View: https://youtu.be/qwzCr4zt0io

I won't be back home to try this until tomorrow, but I'm curious to see if I get the same problem.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here with a Super Game Boy 2 having this issue with the new firmware?

My SGB2 works perfectly with my 1 chip Super Famicom but now has screen tearing and glitches on my Super NT.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
It's been a while since I turned on my SuperNT and just updated it to the latest JB firmware. Are there any recent changes to the recommended screen and scanline settings? (4k LG OLED)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
just booted my Super NT up for the first time after getting it. So far so good, works well. I feel like there are some quirks, like I'll save the amount of zoom I want and it won't use it for the next game.

also is it just me or do the games stick out way too far? Feels like there is no stability, and I'm afraid I'm going to break the connector accidentally.