• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
FirebrandX put out a setting video but I haven't watched it yet because it's late and I just got home.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
FirebrandX put out a setting video but I haven't watched it yet because it's late and I just got home.

Very nice!

So FirebrandX didn't mention anything about 4.5x... any reason as to why?

Personally I am not a fan of 4.5x either as keeping the vertical sharp (4x or 5x with V interpolation disabled) is ideal if you care about sharp pixels. If you just want it to perfectly hug the top and bottom of your screen and sharp pixels is less of a concern 4.5x is the way to go.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just watched the video and it's the settings I was already using. Only good thing is the Super Game Boy settings since I haven't been playing with that so it saved me from looking at a stretched image before figuring it out. Funny to hear FBX got confused with the Interpolation settings in a previous video also, kevtris really fucked the pooch with the naming of that option.

EDIT: Just saw FBX made a follow up video.

I didn't know about hitting the Start button to jump between the presets.

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
They are a small outfit, and it took several months to sell out their last NT Mini stock. They aren't going there again.

To be honest, only so many people are going to be willing to pull the trigger on something like a $500 NES. Sure it's really awesome looking and has a lot of really cool special features (and when you start doing the math on that stuff the price tag starts to seem more reasonable) but at the end of the day it was still a $500 NES. That price tag pretty much assures that only the hardcore will be interested. While they eventually sold them all you could probably argue that they made more than they needed. A plastic Nt mini priced at $189.99 would probably sell but the question is: profit-wise how much would Analogue need to make for it to be worth it?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, only so many people are going to be willing to pull the trigger on something like a $500 NES. Sure it's really awesome looking and has a lot of really cool special features (and when you start doing the math on that stuff the price tag starts to seem more reasonable) but at the end of the day it was still a $500 NES. That price tag pretty much assures that only the hardcore will be interested. While they eventually sold them all you could probably argue that they made more than they needed. A plastic Nt mini priced at $189.99 would probably sell but the question is: profit-wise how much would Analogue need to make for it to be worth it?
I agree. They should have went the lower cost route to begin with. It is what it is though. A plastic NT Mini, with the same features as the not-plastic one, would probably be around $300.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. They should have went the lower cost route to begin with. It is what it is though. A plastic NT Mini, with the same features as the not-plastic one, would probably be around $300.

Well, the Nt mini came with an 8bitdo controller and receiver so they could eliminate that pack-in and make it HDMI only, so those would probably help them get the price down more.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's what I meant. But I guess there are unofficial solutions?

I just bought a CRT for my SNES, but I'm thinking of buying a Super NT and I'd love to have it hooked up to the CRT as well.
I have an hdmi/vga adapter, I'll hook it up to my crt and see how it looks, and performs (lag?)

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what I meant. But I guess there are unofficial solutions?

I just bought a CRT for my SNES, but I'm thinking of buying a Super NT and I'd love to have it hooked up to the CRT as well.

Last update was a month ago that they will be getting prototypes for the DAC soon. Seems likely it is still happening these things just take time. I wouldn't purchase any other solutions in the immediate future at the very least, as we are likely to hear something within the next few weeks/months.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an hdmi/vga adapter, I'll hook it up to my crt and see how it looks, and performs (lag?)

Oh that would be cool, let me know! I really wonder if it'll be laggy since it has to convert.

Last update was a month ago that they will be getting prototypes for the DAC soon. Seems likely it is still happening these things just take time. I wouldn't purchase any other solutions in the immediate future at the very least, as we are likely to hear something within the next few weeks/months.

Well I'll buy the NT in a few weeks / 2 months (hopefully they'll still have stock then), so maybe it'll be out by then. If not I might use some cheap alternative until the official thing comes out.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that would be cool, let me know! I really wonder if it'll be laggy since it has to convert.

Well I'll buy the NT in a few weeks / 2 months (hopefully they'll still have stock then), so maybe it'll be out by then. If not I might use some cheap alternative until the official thing comes out.
Ugh.. mine doesn't support my crt, but supports a monitor lol. smh

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.. mine doesn't support my crt, but supports a monitor lol. smh

Ha! Thanks for the effort though, appreciate it! :)

It's getting really hard to not just blindly buy the Super NT but I've been spending a bit too much lately + I think I'm going to buy some games first, before I buy it.

I think.

I'm weak.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Only thing in stock currently is the black model. Next batch of pre-orders is supposed to go up sometime in May so should line up nicely if you have your heart set on one shell in particular. I don't believe Analogue has stated when that batch would ship though.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm thinking of just buying an SD2SNES for my SNES instead of a Super NT. Does anyone here have both?

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have both.

I also have an Analogue NT Mini and an Everdrive N8.

Awesome! Would you agree that playing a SNES on a CRT is better than playing a Super NT on an HD TV or not? I just can't decide and it's driving me insane. One part of me really enjoys playing the SNES on the CRT TV I bought, and I can clearly see a difference between playing Super Mario World on my SNES Classic on my HD monitor and playing the cartridge on an OG SNES on a CRT. Not having any black bars on the side is also pretty cool.

But yeah, the Super NT just looks super slick and that DAC unit is coming out soon(ish?). So it's basically: order an SD2SNES and play games now, or order a Super NT and play games later.

SD2SNES with an MSU1 modded Chrono Trigger on a Super NT is the greatest thing a man can ever experience.

I can't wait to play Chrono Trigger.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Would you agree that playing a SNES on a CRT is better than playing a Super NT on an HD TV or not? I just can't decide and it's driving me insane. One part of me really enjoys playing the SNES on the CRT TV I bought, and I can clearly see a difference between playing Super Mario World on my SNES Classic on my HD monitor and playing the cartridge on an OG SNES on a CRT. Not having any black bars on the side is also pretty cool.

But yeah, the Super NT just looks super slick and that DAC unit is coming out soon(ish?). So it's basically: order an SD2SNES and play games now, or order a Super NT and play games later.

I can't wait to play Chrono Trigger.
I dunno what to say really. It's hard to decide between the two for me. If I were using the Super NT on a larger modern screen, that would be the way to go. However, I only use it on a 23" LCD monitor. I LOVE playing the original SNES on the CRT, and I do that with or without the SD2SNES. SD2SNES = MSU1 with at least half decent Mackie speakers. It's really nice. I don't think I'd go without the SD2SNES. Either way, you're going to wait as the SD2SNES bought from an official retailer can take some time, 2+weeks. So, you'll probably get that before the Super NT though.

I use the Super NT mostly for game capture stuff, it's just better quality picture over composite/component game capture.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what to say really. It's hard to decide between the two for me. If I were using the Super NT on a larger modern screen, that would be the way to go. However, I only use it on a 23" LCD monitor. I LOVE playing the original SNES on the CRT, and I do that with or without the SD2SNES. SD2SNES = MSU1 with at least half decent Mackie speakers. It's really nice. I don't think I'd go without the SD2SNES. Either way, you're going to wait as the SD2SNES bought from an official retailer can take some time, 2+weeks. So, you'll probably get that before the Super NT though.

I use the Super NT mostly for game capture stuff, it's just better quality picture over composite/component game capture.

Alright, thanks for the info!

I'll just order the SD2SNES first, that'll be a good start.

Oct 25, 2017
Got the SFC edition

Sept is a bit of a wait but it is what it is

What do people think there is a higher chance of happening- new NT min/more Nt Mini stock or super nt hacked with a NES core?

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I was just wondering. I have my SNT, I love it. I prefer the lack of save states for the most part, tbh. It's only a mild problem in some games.

I know what you mean. It is refreshing to play games in the "olden style" where you couldn't save as you like.
Which games do you find it slightly bothersome?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I know what you mean. It is refreshing to play games in the "olden style" where you couldn't save as you like.
Which games do you find it slightly bothersome?

For me, I enjoyed it for very difficult games. I liked to Savestate at the beginning of a level and keep trying the level over again - meaning I could try to tackle the level+boss again without having to restart the entire game.

For me that's stuff like the Contras and the Ninja Gaidens and NES TMNTs of the world.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Save states are incredibly useful for smoothing out a particularly difficult section of a game without the time overhead of getting up to that point. Practicing a tough boss or section of a level. I'm happy enough with emulators for that function, even with the bit of added input lag, it is more about familiarity than dexterity in most cases.

If you are using them to just get to the end of a 20 minute action game and then calling it done you are only robbing yourself of the experience.

Shitty check pointing / save spots in 50+ hour games are a different matter, naturally.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm having a tough ass time with Gradious 3. I don't even know if I can save or not. I just keep playing and getting a little further each time. It's a good game though, I like that I can't "cheat" my way through it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
btw, friend in Canada got a black model and had to pay nearly $50 in duties so I'd guess the party is over in that regard.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Just read through this whole thread because I'm excited for my Super NT to show up in September.
I really hope we see more of the cores that were on the NT Mini. If not NES (though that would rule) I would at least like GBC support to supplement the SGB2.

Edit: Also, what's the deal with 5x scaling? From what I understand, it works like the OSSC in 5x 1080p mode, where it cuts off part of the image. I have a 16:10 1200p monitor. Would I be able to get the Super NT to output the full image at 5x scaling on this, or would it just not work?

Last edited:

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
So, because I can't wait for the Nt Mini to come back in stock (if it ever will), I've purchased the Hi-Def NES mod for the AV Famicom. Now I'm just worried it will suddenly come back right when it arrives.

Still a little frustrating that my Super Nt could play all of those games just fine in a better world.

MoFo2

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the RetroUSB AVS a pretty good alternative to the Nt Mini, especially if you have a 4K TV?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I just received my black super NT. I am not even bothered that it isn't in an original color scheme the system is phenomenal. For some reason I cannot get my Super Gameboy to work with it so after messing around with some more games I will look up why.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the RetroUSB AVS a pretty good alternative to the Nt Mini, especially if you have a 4K TV?

It is! 1.3 official firmware just released, which includes H. Interpolation --a great feature that Kevtris says is physically impossible on the NT Mini. If your main goal is to easily play NES over HDMI with perfect accuracy, and you already have a collection (or an Everdrive), the AVS is a better buy (and it's actually available).

I just received my black super NT. I am not even bothered that it isn't in an original color scheme the system is phenomenal. For some reason I cannot get my Super Gameboy to work with it so after messing around with some more games I will look up why.

9/10 you need to clean (or reclean) the cart connector pins. If you haven't done so already, I highly suggest cleaning every SNES cart you own. There are plenty of methods, but I prefer 0000 steel wool then a Iso 91% wipedown. Just enough abrasive to knock the funk off without causing any damage. Many people recommend just iso and a Q-Tip, but I find it rarely gets the connectors really clean, especially if they're very dirty/corroded.

Of course, you'll need 3.5 security driver or bit.

Last edited:

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses. It is a Super Gameboy 2. I will clean it after I update the firmware for the super NT. Thinking about jail breaking it actually.