• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Isn't the RetroUSB AVS a pretty good alternative to the Nt Mini, especially if you have a 4K TV?
It's only 720p. For me, the AV Famicom and the Hi-Def NES mod was the more attractive option. Also, I like famicom carts, and I like being able to see them sticking out of the top of the system. If a new Nt Mini ever comes out I'll probably sell it, but I can also see myself getting attached to it. It is original hardware and that's always cool. Plus it has one of the best commercials ever:

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Humorous aside for me personally with regard to Super Nt...

I keep all the games for systems I can play in the living room on a shelving unit in said room. Everything else migrates to my third floor retro setup. I just realized the other day that all my SNES/SFC carts were slowly moving back to the living room after years away, and that I needed to vacate space on the shelves for them which meant PlayStation One and PLAYSTATION 3 games had to go! How crazy is that?! The system from 1991 is back and the ones from 1995 and 2006 are out!

Nintendo still holds shelf space for SNES, Wii, Wii U, Switch and 3DS. I had way too many DS games too keep all of those there too. Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4 and Blu-ray/DVD take up the rest. Crazy!

I'm hoping they make a SEGA Genesis FPGA console so I can bring back all that stuff too. :)

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to dump game saves from a cart onto an SD card (either with the official firmware or jailbreak)? I'm thinking about picking up a SD2SNES in the next few months, and I'd want to hold off getting started on some games on the original carts if I'm just going to have to start all over once I get an SD2SNES.

My dream setup is being able to setup some sort of automatic syncing between an SD card in an SD2SNES and a Dropbox folder, so I can play the same saves across devices (Pi3, PC, Super Nt, etc), but as far as I know, even the expensive wifi-enabled SD cards aren't really built for that type of thing, so I'd always need to manually sync the SD card by plugging it into a computer between plays.

I'm also wondering if the process is reversible (take a save game file dumped from the original cart or from a ROM, and get the original cart to read it).

Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible to dump game saves from a cart onto an SD card (either with the official firmware or jailbreak)? I'm thinking about picking up a SD2SNES in the next few months, and I'd want to hold off getting started on some games on the original carts if I'm just going to have to start all over once I get an SD2SNES.

The latest jailbreak gives you the opportunity to backup/dump your cartridge as a rom and according save ram. Rom and save ram will be written to your SD card. More instuctions here (the CopySNES part).

Worked without problems for me but it won't give you a way to flash your savegames back to your cartridge. They should work in SD2SNES though.

Oct 28, 2017
Things are a bit quite at the moment. Still hoping for a firmware update and better scanlines.

In the meantime: Somebody on another forum put together an unofficial manual for the Super NT summarizing the possible settings and some 'best solutions'. Give it a try if you like.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean with new cores? If you mean development for new NT systems, like a Megadrive/Genesis one, it's pretty much a given. Don't hold your breath though for any of the NT Mini cores, as Kevtris pretty much confirmed this.

When did he do this, and what exactly did he say? Not that I'm really expecting them at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
So dumb question, but what's the benefit of using something like sd2snes vs just using the sd slot on the side of a jailbroken Super NT? Is there any difference? Sd2snes is so expensive.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest thing for me is MSU1 mods. It was also posted in another thread yesterday that the guy who got Super FX stuff going is now working on SA1. He posted a video of Mario RPG, so it seems promising.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So dumb question, but what's the benefit of using something like sd2snes vs just using the sd slot on the side of a jailbroken Super NT? Is there any difference? Sd2snes is so expensive.

Long version: Support for the DSP1 / 1b, DSP2, DSP3, DSP4, ST-010, OBC1, Cx4, MSU1, S-RTC and Super FX enhancement chips with SA-1 support in development.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I have a question. I have both the Super Nt and the SNES classic. I've been mostly buying games for the Super Nt that are not on the SNES classic. My question is whether or not there are any positive reasons to own an original cart of a game that is currently on the SNES classic to play on the Super Nt. I really want to play the best looking and best playing version of any said game and want to play Final Fantasy 3 specifically. I'd hate to drop $60 bucks on a cart when I have the game already, but am willing to do so if there are enough positive reasons.

Sorry for the long winded question.

tl;dr

Should I buy a copy of Final Fantasy 3 for the Super Nt if I already own an SNES classic?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a question. I have both the Super Nt and the SNES classic. I've been mostly buying games for the Super Nt that are not on the SNES classic. My question is whether or not there are any positive reasons to own an original cart of a game that is currently on the SNES classic to play on the Super Nt. I really want to play the best looking and best playing version of any said game and want to play Final Fantasy 3 specifically. I'd hate to drop $60 bucks on a cart when I have the game already, but am willing to do so if there are enough positive reasons.

Sorry for the long winded question.

tl;dr

Should I buy a copy of Final Fantasy 3 for the Super Nt if I already own an SNES classic?
Simple. No.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just ordered a super famicom style one and ordered the controller from amazon. Now I just have to wait until September. Have to say I haven't been this excited about getting a new system for quite a while, just need to get hold of a SD2SNES and I'm set :)

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Just ordered a super famicom style one and ordered the controller from amazon. Now I just have to wait until September. Have to say I haven't been this excited about getting a new system for quite a while, just need to get hold of a SD2SNES and I'm set :)

Enjoy! It's a pretty awesome little system. It has me excited for whatever they do next

alright, thanks a bunch.

That's really all dependent on how you feel about the box art and whatnot. I wouldn't recommend this to most because of how expensive going down this road has become but I like buying SNES games I really love CIB. Being able to display awesome box art for a game like Super Castlevania on my shelf is worth it to me. Beyond that the only game I would possibly recommend picking up if you can get a decent price for it is Super Mario All-Stars with Super Mario World. That version of Super Mario World has some cool little differences like Luigi isn't a palette swapped Mario and a bunch of other weird little things. I guess the last major perk to owning physical cartridges of SNES Classic games and playing them on Super Nt is that the SNES Classic has a lot of input lag while the Super Nt does not (though that's not a big deal with Final Fantasy)

Last edited:

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Enjoy! It's a pretty awesome little system. It has me excited for whatever they do next

Thanks, Im really hoping they are working on a Mega Drive as it would be a huge improvement over the trash that AtGames puts out.

Also what would be really awesome is if the flashcart companies made smaller flashcarts designed specifically for the Super NT. My only criticism of the Super NT design is that it is too thin and the carts look absolutely huge sticking out of the top.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I got a copy of RetroBit's Japanese Jaleco Vol. 1 collection (I already have Dead Dance and can live without Brawl Brothers/the first Rushing Beat, I mostly picked it up out of curiosity), which I think will round out my SNES collection for now. Only a handful of SuperFX/other chip games left that won't run directly off the SD, before I gotta venture into seedy repros of stuff like Marvelous or Star Ocean.

Are there any good resources to follow as far as future licensed reproductions? Piko Interactive, Columbus Circle, that sort? BS Shockman, Gourmet Sentai and Majyuuou have all been really good releases, and I might pick up one of Piko's Iron Commando carts down the line.

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
The video output from my Super Nt started flickering a few days ago, and now I can't get any video output at all. I've tried multiple HDMI cables, power supplies, and TVs, but no luck. The LED is white like normal, just no output signal. I can't find any information about warranties on Analogue's website. Has anybody had any good or bad experiences with Analogue's support?

Oct 27, 2017
The video output from my Super Nt started flickering a few days ago, and now I can't get any video output at all. I've tried multiple HDMI cables, power supplies, and TVs, but no luck. The LED is white like normal, just no output signal. I can't find any information about warranties on Analogue's website. Has anybody had any good or bad experiences with Analogue's support?
I wanna say there was one person earlier in the thread who sent video to document issues with their Super NT and were sent a replacement board fairly quickly, and sent the old one back to Analogue.

So no full console replacement, but a pretty quick DIY fix, provided you're OK with a few screws and peeling off the rubber base (if I remember right, they said it goes back on pretty well).

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Finally getting this thing set up (son is napping).
Looking for settings recommendations in general, but especially video settings for those who like the original CRT look. I see some numbers on the front page but I'm not completely clear on it.

I'm running the latest jailbreak firmware just to have it ready for anything, but I would be surprised if I play anything via sd card. Just not as fun!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Finally getting this thing set up (son is napping).
Looking for settings recommendations in general, but especially video settings for those who like the original CRT look. I see some numbers on the front page but I'm not completely clear on it.

I'm running the latest jailbreak firmware just to have it ready for anything, but I would be surprised if I play anything via sd card. Just not as fun!
What are you confused about?

Original Aspect Ratio (probably best way and original look as described here):

720p (3x)
Width: 877
Height: 720

1080p (4x) - It'll leave borders at the top and bottom
Width: 1170
Height: 960

1080p (5x) - It'll cut off a bit of the top and bottom of the screen but for most games what's cut off doesn't matter
Width: 1462
Height: 1200

Whichever you choose also set Disable V Interpolation to ON and Disable H Interpolation to OFF.
Instead of remembering the numbers just choose the height you want first (3X for 720p or 4X/5X for 1080p) then hit the start button on the width to cycle through the presets until you get to "4:3 for 16:9".

FirebrandX put out a video going through the menu options. He even included different width settings if you want to play Game Boy games with the Super Game Boy. Watch it all and pay attention.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks a bunch, I've got baby brain, it's hard to focus while the mind is racing. I appreciate your help.

I'm setting up my sd card for roms too, can these be compressed or must they be fully extracted?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks a bunch, I've got baby brain, it's hard to focus while the mind is racing. I appreciate your help.

I'm setting up my sd card for roms too, can these be compressed or must they be fully extracted?
No idea. I have an SD2SNES so I never bothered with the hacked FW because I can play more games with what I have.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Tested it out.
It will attempt to load compressed roms, but it just goes to a blank screen and it's unresponsive. Works fine extracted.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Didn't touch my Super NT for a few months but want to play again this weekend. Just a short question, is the jailbroken fw safe to use (I still have the original fw installed)?

Sebion

Oct 29, 2017
By chance does anybody have the Joe & Mac collection from retro-bit? If so, could you try playing it off of SD Card using the jailbreak firmware? I get a corrupted games selection screen and therefore can't play any of the games. It works fine when playing off the cartridge though.

Oct 27, 2017
By chance does anybody have the Joe & Mac collection from retro-bit? If so, could you try playing it off of SD Card using the jailbreak firmware? I get a corrupted games selection screen and therefore can't play any of the games. It works fine when playing off the cartridge though.
I don't think I've been able to successfully rip any of my (legit) repro carts. Joe & Mac, Data East, Majyuuou, Gourmet Sentai, etc.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to rip a homebrew game from the cart, done right, it plays via sd card. Has to be a proper mem setting for one. Simply just ripping the rom via SuperNT isn't going to do it.

Sebion

Oct 29, 2017
I was able to rip a homebrew game from the cart, done right, it plays via sd card. Has to be a proper mem setting for one. Simply just ripping the rom via SuperNT isn't going to do it.
Unfortunately I have no other way of ripping my carts :(. Thanks for the information though.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Any thoughts about the Zero Lag option? If it's snappier than even playing on a crt (is it?), might it mess with your instincts when you do go and play on original hardware on a crt?

Having set up my Super NT finally, this past weekend, I really love it. Can't wait to sit down with some cartridges and having a good go. Any one else have a power button issue though? I think it's fine, but it's like I have to give it a nice solid press, maybe even holding it? There were a few times when I hit the power button, nothing, hit it again, nothing, hit it again, nothing.. Gave it a break and then it was working. Since then I was very deliberately hitting the button and holding it for a moment, and it seemed alright. Hope I'm not on the verge of having a broken component and it's just a quirk.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thinking about ordering the Super NT and had a controller question.

I figure if I'm going to order myself an 8Bitdo then I'll want to be able to use it elsewhere as well so is the best idea to order something like the SF30 Pro which connects to android, switch, pc etc and then just order a second receiver which has the SNES port on it?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

I figure if I'm going to order myself an 8Bitdo then I'll want to be able to use it elsewhere as well so is the best idea to order something like the SF30 Pro which connects to android, switch, pc etc and then just order a second receiver which has the SNES port on it?
Could go that way. Another thing to consider is the receiver also supports syncing to a bunch of controllers like PS4 or Wii u pro. Check the site for the full list. Could start with just a receiver if you have a controller that syncs with it already and add an 8bitdo down the line when you have a better feel for things

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

I have the SN30 Pro and I really like it. I haven't picked up the SNES reciever yet so I currently only use it on the SNES Classic and Switch. The controller feels really good and I have yet to experience any technical hiccups, but the buttons are clicky. It's not a bad thing per se but you will notice it.

If you own a Switch and are playing or will be playing Octopath Traveler you should buy this controller. It feels really good playing that game with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, hope those of y'all who were looking to preorder one for next month got an order in, because their pinned tweet about ordering one was taken down and now their site is acting kinda funky.

Could just be a hiccup, but of course this happens right when I'm ready to order a backup unit. Hmm.

edit: and it just seems like the site is lagging. Still, get one while you can, I guess!

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Well, hope those of y'all who were looking to preorder one for next month got an order in, because their pinned tweet about ordering one was taken down and now their site is acting kinda funky.

Could just be a hiccup, but of course this happens right when I'm ready to order a backup unit. Hmm.

edit: and it just seems like the site is lagging. Still, get one while you can, I guess!
Seems to be working just fine for me. Able to load the site, get to the Super NT page, and add the North American theme unit to my cart.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

It's still trippin for me. On my PC and my phone. Gonna check my laptop when I get home. Was looking to pre-order next week, now I'm shook.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I can grab a pre-order if anyone wants me to do it. We can settle with paypal.

Oct 27, 2017
To those who have it - how's the Super Famicom unit look in person?

It's weird, given my Super Nintendo collection is like 99.9% Super Famicom carts, some of those RetroBit carts and exactly one SNES cart, but I'm kinda leaning heavy toward the SNES unit. Something about the minimalism of it, and disliking that weird, heavy gray coloring to the 8Bitdo SFC controller has me thinking it's the one to get.

Edit: well this might be the problem https://status.shopify.com/

Edit 2: Managed to get one in the cart and got this. Guess it's worth checking in until Shopify works things out.

V7Lt7yW.png

Last edited:

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017

Following up on this in case anyone has similar problems. I reached out to Analogue and they offered to either send me a shipping label so I could send in my unit for them to fix, or they could send me a replacement PCB for me to install myself. I went for the self-repair option since I thought it might be quicker. The board showed up a few days later with a return label to send back my faulty one. I peeled back the corners of padding on the bottom of the unit to remove the screws from the case, removed a few more internal screws to remove the old board, put it all back together again and the new board works great. You can't tell that the case was ever opened.

Overall a quick and painless process! Kudos to Analogue's support.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Following up on this in case anyone has similar problems. I reached out to Analogue and they offered to either send me a shipping label so I could send in my unit for them to fix, or they could send me a replacement PCB for me to install myself. I went for the self-repair option since I thought it might be quicker. The board showed up a few days later with a return label to send back my faulty one. I peeled back the corners of padding on the bottom of the unit to remove the screws from the case, removed a few more internal screws to remove the old board, put it all back together again and the new board works great. You can't tell that the case was ever opened.

Overall a quick and painless process! Kudos to Analogue's support.

That's good to hear.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it take time to get an order verification email? I bought one today, but got nothing in my email.

Edit: Nevermind, it was in my spam. Can't fucking wait to get mine!