• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
There's always some folks in these threads who are wary of using the Jailbreak firmware, so just a casual reminder to newcomers - it's fine!

Between being able to rip your own carts to an SD and being able to run fan translations (well, if you can still find them - it doesn't do IPS patching like the Retron5), it adds a whole lot of functionality to the system. Well worth installing.

Also to anyone looking to start a collection - Japanese eBay auctions are your friend, so long as you don't mind Japanese text or loose carts. Snagging a copy of Super Mario World or Mario Kart for $4 beats the GameStop price hike of $40-50.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
There's always some folks in these threads who are wary of using the Jailbreak firmware, so just a casual reminder to newcomers - it's fine!

It should really pointed out that the jailbreak firmware is written by the same guy who coded the console, so it really is a semi-official release. There are zero risks involved.

Oct 27, 2017
It should really pointed out that the jailbreak firmware is written by the same guy who coded the console, so it really is a semi-official release. There are zero risks involved.
Ah yeah, probably should have mentioned that.

Also a fun note - the Super NT works fine with those repros that have a reputation for frying proper SNES/SFC hardware due to voltage differences. Just in case there's any worry about popping in those Data East or Joe & Mac collections, or that SFII red cart.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Finally pre-ordered an SFC edition.

Are there any scanline guides or tips out there? Beyond using them in 720p, I mean. Has anyone dove deep into those settings?
Here is a good video from My Life in Gaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OW_t9RXEM

I recommend watching the whole thing as it's pretty interesting stuff (most of their stuff is really great, btw) but if you want you can skip to where they discuss the video settings which is around the 11:30 or so mark.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What are you confused about?

Original Aspect Ratio (probably best way and original look as described here):

720p (3x)
Width: 877
Height: 720

1080p (4x) - It'll leave borders at the top and bottom
Width: 1170
Height: 960

1080p (5x) - It'll cut off a bit of the top and bottom of the screen but for most games what's cut off doesn't matter
Width: 1462
Height: 1200

Whichever you choose also set Disable V Interpolation to ON and Disable H Interpolation to OFF.
Instead of remembering the numbers just choose the height you want first (3X for 720p or 4X/5X for 1080p) then hit the start button on the width to cycle through the presets until you get to "4:3 for 16:9".

FirebrandX put out a video going through the menu options. He even included different width settings if you want to play Game Boy games with the Super Game Boy. Watch it all and pay attention.

Thank you for this post. I need to update to the latest firmware at some point and update settings.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Any idea when the next batch will ship out? It said on the website end of September but I have received no shipping information or any news at all and its now October.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Has anyone's Super Nt just stopped powering on? Mine seems to have that issue.

I would check the usb cable and/or adapter you're using first. Do you have a tablet or something similar that can be charged with those?

Any idea when the next batch will ship out? It said on the website end of September but I have received no shipping information or any news at all and its now October.

Analogue said:
Super Nt Now Shipping - 9/28/18 Update
smalllogo.jpg

Analogue Support
Saturday at 18:58
Follow

All open Pre-orders are currently being carefully boxed up at our warehouse and logistics center. Packaging and shipping will continue into early next week. All orders will be shipped out by the end of next week. We're getting orders shipped out as fast as we can and we appreciate your patience. An email with a tracking # will be sent to you when your order ships out.

We understand everyone is excited to get their new Super Nt's, but please note that sending us repeated emails via customer support asking when your order will ship will not make your order move any faster. If you have any other questions or need anything please feel free to reach out.

We're very excited to get your new Super Nt in your hands and it'll be shipped out very soon. Thanks for your patience.
https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360000634171-Super-Nt-Now-Shipping-9-28-18-Update

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOT MINE!

Super fucking Metroid up on my jumbo TV! Now I've had a Framemeister and an OSSC, but I think Analogue and Kevtris have done something great with interpolation. It makes these games look like they're regular modern sprite games that scroll comfortably on your regular modern TV.

I'm personally using 720p with normal scanlines and RGB limited. Holly shit @ 5x scale on 1080p! Never going back. My TV looks like an enormous GBA screen with none of the weaknesses. This is too much power!

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of new folks are getting their Super Nt. If you have an SNES Classic it is possible to transfer your saves over, as well this post covers a lot of little details about how saving works on the SNT, so if you thought you'd have to abandon your half way complete run of Secret of Mana then give it a look.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5483691/

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Just got mine in yesterday. Coming from an OSSC setup that I bought just for SNES, this is perfect. Loving 720p with scanlines personally.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Mine is supposed to come in today. I was not going to jailbreak since I have a sd2snes, but the fact that it's from the author of the official firmware, maybe I will

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Got mine this week. My entire collection so far.

y25xnTp.jpg

I plan on keeping it small. I ordered SFC Super Metroid and I'm saving up for an SD2SNES. Along with the SFII Turbo pictured, I don't think I'll be buying anymore carts (unless some new games get made that catch my eye).

That SFC HORI Fighting Commander is incredible, by the way. The d-pad and buttons are worn-in and mushy (as opposed to the satisfying clickiness of the 8bitdo pad), but it's probably the best classic pad I've ever used for fighting games. Yes, including the Saturn pad. It's going to get a lot of usage until I buy a SNES arcade stick (I got my eyes on the very expensive and very beautiful Shika Arcades Sozu.S1...but can't bring myself to splurge that much).

I took a picture from my TV with my phone. I'm running 4:3 at 720p (on a native 1080p TV), with normal scanlines at 120 and RGB turned up to like 1.20. Still fiddling around with it, but I like the look a lot right now:

bZEYpib.jpg

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
While I have a few different CRTs, I ended up leaving my SuperNT set at 18 as that setting looked most like the CRT I regularly use.
There's no perfect setting, just whatever you feel looks good to you.
But just in case you hadn't heard, scan lines look borked in 1080p (until Kevtris updates the FW).

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got in on the third batch of Super NT's, jailbroke the hardware and booted up Super Mario World so I could dial in my regular 5x settings that I have used for years with Retroarch.

Only something wasn't right, the Super NT was missing an entire row of pixels at the top of the screen, they were blank black pixels instead. So I went straight on the semi official discord and asked if this was a known issue and after some discussion other people clarified that yes, they too were seeing blanked pixels where image should normally be on a 5x scale. Coincidentally at the same time Firebrandx had noticed other odd math which he thought was only present on non integer scales but no, he found that this cropping is happening regardless of the video setting. See the below thread with his captures to show issue.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1337722#p1337722

Now I use 5x as standard so noticed it straight away but how the hell has this thing been out there for this long, had reviews from Digital Foundry and MLiG etc yet not once did anyone bust out the 240p test suite and notice that the Super NT is incapable of drawing image to the entirety of the 1080 vertical resolution of the screen?

Putting this out there in the hope that not only does this get fixed asap but also the remaining audio, compatibility and general video issues (scanlines at 1080p, 8;7 and 1:1 modes being useless) which are still outstanding, Analogue need to step up their post release support big time, these issues simply aren't good enough for enthusiast hardware of this type and the end user they are marketing it too.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting stuff. Unfortunately, I don't think anything more is getting fixed. It seems like they have moved on to whatever their next project is. Which is definitely shitty since things were promised that straight up never came, like redone scanlines.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
tomwhite2004 did anyone get kevtris to acknowledge it?

Also, please edit your post and remove the colour from the text under the link so it's visible to dark theme users.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did anyone get kevtris to acknowledge it?

Generally speaking Kevtris doesn't really acknowledge problems like this on Discord, despite being active and tagged in the conversations. Check the top of the page on the shmups link above where I post his reply the 8:7 mode being incorrect, that simply isn't a good enough or acceptable response.

I emailed FBX to see if he was going to add the issue to the jailbreak GitHub and email Analogue. If he doesn't then I asked if I could use his captures as supporting evidence.

Also, please edit your post and remove the colour from the text under the link so it's visible to dark theme users.

Ummmm, how?

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
So I have been using my Super NT on my TV since I got it. I powered it through the USB port of my TV too.

I have to change my setup now and want to use my Super NT with my monitor which means I can't power it through the USB port anymore. I can't use the included power adapter because I am living in Europe (Germany). It used 5V / 2A.

I have one spare adapter from Nintendo for the Mini consoles, which is 5V / 1.5A. What problems could occur if I use it with this, if any?

Could I use something like this: https://www.amazon.de/Anker-Ladegerät-PowerIQ-Technologie-Motorola/dp/B00WLI5E3M/

What do I have to look out for in general if I want to buy a power adaptor for my Nt?

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So I have been using my Super NT on my TV since I got it. I powered it through the USB port of my TV too.

I have to change my setup now and want to use my Super NT with my monitor which means I can't power it through the USB port anymore. I can't use the included power adapter because I am living in Europe (Germany). It used 5V / 2A.

I have one spare adapter from Nintendo for the Mini consoles, which is 5V / 1.5A. What problems could occur if I use it with this, if any?

Could I use something like this: https://www.amazon.de/Anker-Ladegerät-PowerIQ-Technologie-Motorola/dp/B00WLI5E3M/

What do I have to look out for in general if I want to buy a power adaptor for my Nt?
I wouldn't use the 1.5A one. It might work but you'd be putting unnecessary stress on the system. Wouldn't a simple plug adapter work (US to German) since the SNT power supply is worldwide? So it would be SNT > power/usb cord > og usb adapter > US to German adapter

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I wouldn't use the 1.5A one. It might work but you'd be putting unnecessary stress on the system. Wouldn't a simple plug adapter work (US to German) since the SNT power supply is worldwide? So it would be SNT > power/usb cord > og usb adapter > US to German adapter
Guess that could work, I will try to find one on amazon. Didn't think of that myself. Thanks.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
For the record I am pretty sure kevtris has said 1.5A is plenty for any common setup. Many TVs only offer 0.5A - 1A, for example. The 2A is to give a safe ceiling when using more power hungry devices like Super Game Boy or a flash cart. If you have the means to do the full 2A then by all means do it but as long as you aren't using something power hungry you should be perfectly safe at 1.5A.

That said the jailbreak has a clause in their bug reporting where they say they will only accept bug reports from people using the original power adapter. This is obviously to remove people doing completely ridiculous setups to power their device, but might as well be aware of it.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
That said the jailbreak has a clause in their bug reporting where they say they will only accept bug reports from people using the original power adapter. This is obviously to remove people doing completely ridiculous setups to power their device, but might as well be aware of it.
Good to know, because I actually wanted to use the jb firmware now.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Been awhile since I've checked in on this stuff so there's a lot that I've forgotten. What is better for what I want to do: the SD2NES or Everdrive? What I want to do is play stuff like SFX2 games in rom form and be able to make/use save states for my cartridge based games.

EDIT: Also, I live in the US and my power cable for the Super Nt appears to be missing, what can I use in its place?

Thanks y'all

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Been awhile since I've checked in on this stuff so there's a lot that I've forgotten. What is better for what I want to do: the SD2NES or Everdrive? What I want to do is play stuff like SFX2 games in rom form and be able to make/use save states for my cartridge based games.

EDIT: Also, I live in the US and my power cable for the Super Nt appears to be missing, what can I use in its place?

Thanks y'all
SD2SNES is better in all aspects vs Everdrive. (other than price I guess)
Micro-usb cable + AC usb wall adapter should work.

Cubism_Dream

Apr 23, 2018
Is it possible, with the custom firmware, to run translation patches of Japanese games, while still using the actual cartridge, like what you can do with the super ufo 8?

Cubism_Dream

Apr 23, 2018
No. You'd be out of luck as far as running it in English. You'd probably need an SD2SNES. What game are you thinking about?
I just got back from Japan with a bunch of super famicom games, and after watching My Life in Gaming I got really stoked on the super ufo 8, and running translation patches off of actual hardware and was hoping the super nt could do something similar.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Got mine this week. My entire collection so far.

y25xnTp.jpg

I plan on keeping it small. I ordered SFC Super Metroid and I'm saving up for an SD2SNES. Along with the SFII Turbo pictured, I don't think I'll be buying anymore carts (unless some new games get made that catch my eye).

That SFC HORI Fighting Commander is incredible, by the way. The d-pad and buttons are worn-in and mushy (as opposed to the satisfying clickiness of the 8bitdo pad), but it's probably the best classic pad I've ever used for fighting games. Yes, including the Saturn pad. It's going to get a lot of usage until I buy a SNES arcade stick (I got my eyes on the very expensive and very beautiful Shika Arcades Sozu.S1...but can't bring myself to splurge that much).

I took a picture from my TV with my phone. I'm running 4:3 at 720p (on a native 1080p TV), with normal scanlines at 120 and RGB turned up to like 1.20. Still fiddling around with it, but I like the look a lot right now:

bZEYpib.jpg

It's a beautiful console. The tech is honestly amazing to me. And I'm thankful it exists. To be able to play some of the best games ever made in true HD is a joy.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love my super nt. But, I have been fucking around with MiSTer for a week or so and am kind of sad that an amazing dev like Kevtris is putting all his work in at analogue now instead of an open source project like it. Good for him getting paid, but especially when we see shit like them not delivering on certain promises because they moved on to the next project, it sucks that his talents aren't elsewhere.

johnhandy

Oct 29, 2017
I love my super nt. But, I have been fucking around with MiSTer for a week or so and am kind of sad that an amazing dev like Kevtris is putting all his work in at analogue now instead of an open source project like it. Good for him getting paid, but especially when we see shit like them not delivering on certain promises because they moved on to the next project, it sucks that his talents aren't elsewhere.
Any good resources/guides you can recommend with more information for getting started with MiSTer?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It seems a bit overwhelming at first, but it is actually pretty simple. I keep thinking about making a thread for it. But, I am fairly new to it all also.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Bolded is mine of course. This is far better for him than the alternative. Retro gaming is a business now and we should expect people to want to be paid to produce these cool things that let people enjoy games in their original form. The days of doing all this work for free are coming to an end, and that's totally ok. There is a lot of money to be made and smart people deserve it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bolded is mine of course. This is far better for him than the alternative. Retro gaming is a business now and we should expect people to want to be paid to produce these cool things that let people enjoy games in their original form. The days of doing all this work for free are coming to an end, and that's totally ok. There is a lot of money to be made and smart people deserve it.

For sure. But, between giving Analogue $200 every year for a new system core or donating that money to people working on an open source project like MiSTer, I'd much rather donate. Their work leads to actual preservation that will last forever. The analogue is an amazing commercial project that will one day be old, outdated, and dead.

I'm not trying to hate on Analogue. Like I said, I absolutely love my Super NT. But, they have made their priorities clear. It is total shit that scanlines never got fixed, despite Kevtris saying they would be. Gotta move on to the next project, not fix the previous one!