• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited for the game and the cast, but something about that box art looks really dull
Aha, the mainline box arts typically suck, but this one is especially bad, yeah. Moon Dwellers and SD Gundam G Generation Genesis are the only ones this gen that have been pretty cool:

81tODFus0JL._AC_SX430_.jpg

Speaking of which, I'm pretty hyped for the next one of those too. The 3D models they transitioned to with the last game were surprisingly ace.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised the boxart has nothing Bebop related on it, makes me wonder how integrated the series actually is.

Even if there isn't much, it will be amusing to see how Spike deals with being surrounded by all these hot blooded protagonists.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
I'm surprised the boxart has nothing Bebop related on it, makes me wonder how integrated the series actually is.

Even if there isn't much, it will be amusing to see how Spike deals with being surrounded by all these hot blooded protagonists.
I'm not too excited for Bepop, since I have no idea what units or battles they could even use, but I hope they heavily mine it for stages and battle backgrounds. The different cities on other planets always looked amazing in that show.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'd love for there to be a stage (or a half) where we get a Spike unit to muck around with. Yoko from TTGL got that treatment back in Z2.1, but she was shooting down full-sized units.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for there to be a stage (or a half) where we get a Spike unit to muck around with. Yoko from TTGL got that treatment back in Z2.1, but she was shooting down full-sized units.

They're plenty of units in this game that can hold their own on the ground, hell Domon can punt fucking skyscrapers.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Expelled from Paradise. Can't wait to kick ass with Angela and her mech.

I'm not too excited for Bepop, since I have no idea what units or battles they could even use, but I hope they heavily mine it for stages and battle backgrounds. The different cities on other planets always looked amazing in that show.
I assume Spike, Jet, and Faye will have their ships. Yeah, they could pull some great locations from the show.

Though unlike other motherships the Bebop isn't a battleship so I wonder how they'll work in the actual Bebop?
Plus if Jet's in his ship I wonder who's piloting the Bebop. Maybe that's how they work in Ed having a mech since she's remote controlled the Bebop before? lol

Woah, I was just thinking about rewatching Gun X Sword.
Yeah, gonna love having Gun X Sword.

Expelled from Paradise and Magic Knight Rayearth...

WHEW.
Yup, can't wait.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They put G Gundam and GGG together knowing they're popular in the West.

OMGosh he means me.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
He did Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, and Psycho Pass.
I don't think it's really very similar to any of those shows. It doesn't have the element of tragedy/despair that characterizes most of Urobuchi's stuff.

I liked the movie fine. I don't think it's a much-watch or anything, but it does what it sets out to do well. It's a pretty low-stakes story compared to other series. Probably an early-midgame thing with the grunts showing up to support other enemies throughout the rest of the game.
I've seen this posted on Twitter, but not here yet.

https://www.dualshockers.com/super-...details-on-story-series-list-explanation/amp/

It's an interview with Terada on some aspects of the game.

Edit: it's actually a translation of a podcast that Terada does but still interesting information
This is a cool article. I'm going to assume the "Rayearth manga didn't have robots" bit was a mistranslation and Terada actually knows what he's talking about though.

It's kind of surprising how little people seem to know about Rayearth. It has robots! You see them in the anime's first opening theme and on the second page of the manga! The series is named after the main character's robot!
Though unlike other motherships the Bebop isn't a battleship so I wonder how they'll work in the actual Bebop?
If it's playable, I assume it'll be the token repair/resupply mothership, probably with some hacking-related ability from Ed and maybe a couple of very basic ramming or power arm related attacks.

It might not be playable at all though, since Jet's VA passed away recently.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm curious what they'll do about Jet since Unsho Ishuzika passed away over the summer. Use existing voice work or recast like they did with Bright Noa when Hirotaka Suzuoki passed away? Is there someone who has taken on some of his existing roles?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really very similar to any of those shows. It doesn't have the element of tragedy/despair that characterizes most of Urobuchi's stuff.

I liked the movie fine. I don't think it's a much-watch or anything, but it does what it sets out to do well. It's a pretty low-stakes story compared to other series. Probably an early-midgame thing with the grunts showing up to support other enemies throughout the rest of the game.
Yeah, it's more on the hope side than his usual darker side so somewhat more like his collaboration for Gargantia.

If it's playable, I assume it'll be the token repair/resupply mothership, probably with some hacking-related ability from Ed and maybe a couple of very basic ramming or power arm related attacks.

It might not be playable at all though, since Jet's VA passed away recently.
Yeah, that makes sense for a role.

Damn :(
I'm much more familiar with Jet's dub VA, but I liked his Jet a lot too.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
This is a cool article. I'm going to assume the "Rayearth manga didn't have robots" bit was a mistranslation and Terada actually knows what he's talking about though.

It's kind of surprising how little people seem to know about Rayearth. It has robots! You see them in the anime's first opening theme and on the second page of the manga! The series is named after the main character's robot!

Yeah I think that was written by the guy who translated, not Terada himself.

Concerning the confusion around the presence of the mechs themselves, I can see why someone who isn't familiar with the source material can make that mistake. There are basically 3 different stories (Manga, Anime, OVA) that feature the same characters. The manga and anime have the same robot designs, but with vastly different "screen time", with the mechs not appearing as much in the manga. Then there is the OVA designs, which were a complete departure from the original and basically turns them into mecha-beasts (Rayearth's name is also changed to Lexus).

So depending on which version you ran into, you could get vastly different conclusions on the precense of mechs or even what those mechs are.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Question, is it hard to set up foreign accounts on the Switch? Would love to get this on the switch without the hassle of a physical import.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
Very cool. SRW5 took a month after it's JP release for the Asian-English version, this time around we're getting it on the same day + Switch release. Super awesome day 1 for me

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Question, is it hard to set up foreign accounts on the Switch? Would love to get this on the switch without the hassle of a physical import.
It is incredibly easy. I recommend setting up a Japanese Nintendo ID and making a separate Switch user profile for it. Then you can just access the JPN shop instantly through that profile and then play whatever games you download with whatever profile you want.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It is incredibly easy. I recommend setting up a Japanese Nintendo ID and making a separate Switch user profile for it. Then you can just access the JPN shop instantly through that profile and then play whatever games you download with whatever profile you want.

Well it wouldn't be a japanese id it would be....malasian? shit i need to research which asian territories get the english version.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Given that this is coming out on Switch, I'm kinda hoping they include the option to switch the map to the handheld versions where units are represented by pixel faces. I always found that so much cleaner than the 3D models on the map.

That would be great but I don't have much hope it's going to roll like that :(

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
God, I remember the first one of these games I ever encountered I had a local game store here in North Wales that would occasionally get imports and Mecha has always been my favourite anime genre, so I saw this copy of "Super robot Taison MX" played a bit in store and bought it and a Japanese PS2 that day!

Ever since I have bought and muddled my way through every single release and tried to track down some of the PS1 and SNES games but my god they can get expensive, now these games are coming out in English with a decent translation? I could cry I am so happy, I mean I still truly suck at them and I don't play them well at all, but fuck do I love these games.
giphy.gif

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure whether to post this in the OT or not, but there is going to be a new stream On January 11th that will have more info on T and DD.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking for one to buy, glad i searched for a thread

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Stupid questions perhaps but is this game similar in gameplay to the Project X Zone-games on 3DS (which I have played and this 'looks' like it)?

Also are the Super Robot Wars hard?

The battle systems are grid based, but it's not got the "Active Moments" which Project X Zone has.

As to difficulty? I don't really know, I've been stumbling my way through them since the PS2 so I kinda know what I'm doing, they can be daunting and complex, but I don't think difficult is what I'd call them

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid questions perhaps but is this game similar in gameplay to the Project X Zone-games on 3DS (which I have played and this 'looks' like it)?

Also are the Super Robot Wars hard?
The difficulty really depends on the different entries. Super robot wars original generations 2 for GBA is quite difficult, the recent Super Robot Wars V is kinda easy though. Haven't played X but it seems so similar to V I wouldn't be surprised if it was kinda easy too.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the link to (what is most likely) the PV2 stream

It'll be live in about 5 hours or so

Expect them to reveal the Originals for the game. As well as DD info

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Singapore, Taiwan, Philippenes for sure. At least with the previous PS4 versions.

IIRC, when I went looking for the English version of one of the earlier ones on the Taiwan PSN, they only had the Japanese & the Mandarin versions.

EDIT: Just checked. Taiwan PSN just has Chinese & Chinese/Korean versions.

Last edited:

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
This is an immediate buy for me. V was the most exciting thing, having played old entries in Japanese and with it being the first official non original generation entry in English... but I never finished it. I reached the part with that one anime with the slave women being forced to fight? Or something like that? And it was this weird "this is horrifying, but we also made it to tickle people's fetishes" thing that reminded me that modern anime is not for me, and made me uncomfortable. I know that's a weird reason not to play, but it is what it is.

Looks like, from the series list, this may be more of a return to form? Really looking forward to this!