TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Today Zero recently released a Smash Video discussing the Super Smash Bros Melee Player - Hungrybox as well as discussing the hate he gets in the community by an considerable amount of Smash Fans.

TLDR: This video looks at the Smash Documentary as well as his veiws and opinions on Smash's most well known player which is Hungrybox. Zero gave his own thoughts and opinions on Hungrybox, saying that ultimately considering the bad things that were going on Hungrybox's life - him being an immigrant, his abusive father and not being overly rich is an inspiring tail. Ultimately HungryBox has risen up from his background to not only be the best in the game but also the fact he runs several buisnesses now and has an engineering degree. While HungryBox is certaintly not above criticism for his attitude at times ultimate Zero feels the hate/vitrol that he and Zero himself have received as in the Smash Communicate is unfonded. Zero also gives his opinion on the whole Cancel Culture and the opinion that pepole can't change and get devlop and become better pepole - that this whole idea that pepole can't change is wrong to him.

I think it's a rather intresting video and i would like to know pepole's thoughts and opinions on it

Dms6P3WU0AApu9B.jpg

Can't say I really care what Zero has to say about cancel culture, I'm gonna be honest.

Seems like you forgot a few:
Reason 5 - Sexually harassing women at Smash events, plus having a history of infidelity.

Reason 6 - Lots of personal anecdotes from community members who describe him as being rude and needlessly confrontational.

Reason 7 - Posting a selfie with Milo Yiannopoulos when his white supremacist politics were already well known. Pretty sure Milo had already outed himself as a pedophile at that point too but I could be wrong. Of course, Hbox's excuse was that "anyone would want to take a selfie with a celebrity" so it's totally cool.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't want to hear Zero's opinion on cancel culture after hes done shit like @'ing the reviewer at IGN to accuse her of being paid off, or his shitty views on mental illness. AFAIK both Mango and Hbox have done some shitty things, but one gets a lot more hate than the other.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Cancel culture is something rooted in good intentions ("hold people accountable for their actions that are harmful to others") and twists it into something ugly ("people are beyond redemption, let's forget they exist").

I really like Zero's thoughts.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly I don't want to hear Zero's opinion on cancel culture after hes done shit like @'ing the reviewer at IGN to accuse her of being paid off, or his shitty views on mental illness. AFAIK both Mango and Hbox have done some shitty things, but one gets a lot more hate than the other.
That's true, a lot more pepole like to paint HBox as the villain despite Mango's problems

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
What did Hbox do? Video is twenty minutes.

Reason 1 - Jigglypuff. In a lot of Melee Fans's eyes if you are playing a "Lame" Charcter such as Jigglypuff then you don't deserve to be the best. Plus Jigglepuff's defensive playstyle has led to a lot of pepole saying how Hungrybox plays Jigglypuff as being really lame as he does a lot of camping.

Reason 2 - Mango. Mango and Hungrybox have a heated rivarly with each other as two of the best Smash Players in the world and the two have never gotten along with many pepole siding Manga over Hungrybox due to their opinion that Mango plays a more intresting playstyle and is preceived in the community as being less of an asshole then HB

Reason 3 - Embrace the Heel, often times Hungrybox will embrace the Heel in him and while he won't throw matches - he will act in a way to annoy his opponent and acts like a "diva" at times - being very vocal about his wins and losses.

Reason 4 - He's Killing Melee, pepole think that due to Hungrybox's attitude and his "boring" way of playing Melee, he's slowly killing Melee for everyone else

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
What did Hbox do? Video is twenty minutes.
Mostly just be really good at Melee with an unpopular character that plays differently than the more popular ones. Most of it is from spectators that just think Jigglypuff is super boring to watch, but top players also complain about how annoying and unfun it is to play against the character. But the players generally aren't critical of Hbox, they just say the character he plays is dumb.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know this specific situation, so I'm not clear of the circumstances that led us here, but from what I've seen, shunning people for their actions isn't triggered by the *action* as much as it is by the *double down*; when people have transgressed and they've owned up to it and sincerely said they need to improve, I've seen communities allow for and tolerate that, some outliers aside.

Edit: Wait, that's the 'crime'? Okay, that rather changes the context here. I wasn't expecting that to be the sort of thing "cancel culture" was being brought up to talk about!

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know this specific situation, so I'm not clear of the circumstances that led us here, but from what I've seen, shunning people for their actions isn't triggered by the *action* as much as it is by the *double down*; when people have transgressed and they've owned up to it and sincerely said they need to improve, I've seen communities allow for and tolerate that, some outliers aside.

Edit: Wait, that's the 'crime'? Okay, that rather changes the context here. I wasn't expecting that to be the sort of thing "cancel culture" was being brought up to talk about!
Cancel Culuture being brought up to Zero basically was to explain how pepole refuse to change their stance on Hungrybox and don't look at the bigger picture

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Reason 1 - Jigglypuff. In a lot of Melee Fans's eyes if you are playing a "Lame" Charcter such as Jigglypuff then you don't deserve to be the best. Plus Jigglepuff's defensive playstyle has led to a lot of pepole saying how Hungrybox plays Jigglypuff as being really lame as he does a lot of camping.

Reason 2 - Mango. Mango and Hungrybox have a heated rivarly with each other as two of the best Smash Players in the world and the two have never gotten along with many pepole siding Manga over Hungrybox due to their opinion that Mango plays a more intresting playstyle and is preceived in the community as being less of an asshole then HB

Reason 3 - Embrace the Heel, often times Hungrybox will embrace the Heel in him and while he won't throw matches - he will act in a way to annoy his opponent and acts like a "diva" at times - being very vocal about his wins and losses.

Reason 4 - He's Killing Melee, pepole think that due to Hungrybox's attitude and his "boring" way of playing Melee, he's slowly killing Melee for everyone else
so nothing that actually means anything then.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

This all sounds so stupid.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The people mad at hbox are being childish. Dude hasn't done anything worth getting mad about and it's yet another case of salty people who are mad he isn't playing Fox or Falco like 90% of the other top players.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
When I think cancel culture and fighting games, my first thought are the ones who, like, try to run over people with their car. Not so much the ones who play Jigglypuff.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Cancel culture is something rooted in good intentions ("hold people accountable for their actions that are harmful to others") and twists it into something ugly ("people are beyond redemption, let's forget they exist").

I really like Zero's thoughts.
This ain't it. No one gets "cancelled" for some single incident (unless it's something like rape/pedo stuff). No one acts like people are beyond redemption. It's the people who do the vilest shit or double down & refuse to acknowledge any wrongdoing, responsibility or to apologize who get "cancelled". People are given a chance for apologies, to show they can change & learn from criticism. Tons of people just don't grab the opportunity and show that they are truly horrible people who don't care who they hurt and what consequences their shitty behaviour has.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Die hard "fans" will always be the problem. They act like they deserve something from anyone related to the product they like. A really dumb thinking from immature minds.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
When I think cancel culture and fighting games, my first thought are the ones who, like, try to run over people with their car. Not so much the ones who play Jigglypuff.
yeah i thought HBox was dropping slurs or some shit
but he's just playing jiggs like always and that just infuriates some people i guess

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

So nothing.

He did nothing.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash community fucking HATES hbox. At this point its just a staple of the community, Hbox is never going over no matter what happens.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, pepole hate his attitude, his playstyle and the charcter he is using but it's extremely overblown

Yeah that's nothing. Like seriously, this whole "jigglypuff ruins the game" nonsense has NEVER made sense. People are treating Hbox the same as players who have actual sexual assault charges because "It's boring, meh". That's dumb and childish.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018

wow it literally nothing, you would believe from the title that he did something abhorrent but no, is just a bunch of salty people that hate a guy that plays in a way they hate

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I was listening to one of Karl Jobst videos on "speedrunning tricks that can potentially kill a community" and it reminds me of this situation with Jigglypuff. If one strategy is clearly better then any other, but really boring to play/watch (looking at the ground in goldeneye, defensive play with jigglypuff in melee) it'll kill off people's desire to watch/play the game.

Of course this situation with H-box is unique since

1) Jigglypuff isn't comically OP relative to the rest of the melee roster (see meta knight in brawl)

2) H-Box while successful has not been clean sweeping melee tournaments in the past few years the way someone like Zero or MkLeo has for WiiU/Ultimate did during their peaks.

3) Melee is a super old game that has been on borrowed time for awhile, between crt's becoming less common and no modern ports demanding legacy hardware every year melee is going to become harder and harder to get into.

That's not to say Melee isn't big, but it was naturally going to decline overtime, especially with Ultimate being embraced by a lot of people as a competitive fighter. I wonder how much of this animosity towards H-Box is because he's an easy target despite there being many factors in Melee's slow drop in popularity.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I was listening to one of Karl Jobst videos on "speedrunning tricks that can potentially kill a community" and it reminds me of this situation with Jigglypuff. If one strategy is clearly better then any other, but really boring to play/watch (looking at the ground in goldeneye, defensive play with jigglypuff in melee) it'll kill off people's desire to watch/play the game.

Of course this situation with H-box is unique since

1) Jigglypuff isn't comically OP relative to the rest of the melee roster (see meta knight in brawl)

2) H-Box while successful has not been clean sweeping melee tournaments in the past few years the way someone like Zero or MkLeo has for WiiU/Ultimate did during their peaks.

3) Melee is a super old game that has been on borrowed time for awhile, between crt's becoming less common and no modern ports demanding legacy hardware every year melee is going to become harder and harder to get into.

That's not to say Melee isn't big, but it was naturally going to decline overtime, especially with Ultimate being embraced by a lot of people as a competitive fighter. I wonder how much of this animosity towards H-Box is because he's an easy target despite there being many factors in Melee's slow drop in popularity.
Honestly that's probalby a factor towards the hate towards Hungrybox especially the whole - Hungrybox has killed Melee crowed

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pepole/10.

On topic, HB is really a nice guy, its just that when you are up there, you get under undesirable levels of scrutiny by everyone

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017

People are cancelling now because they are salty?

Cancel the cancel culture.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
It feels like Smash is the only FGC community where people get severely harassed for the characters they play. You see it with Smash 4 players and Bayonetta and now in recent times Maister with Mr. Game and Watch. It's so stupid.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The Smash community has probably the highest concentration of manchildren I've ever encountered. And the Melee community is what, hitting 30ish right? Embarrassing.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've long lost count on the amount of hate posts directed at Hungrybox as a person whenever he just wins a game. The state of the Smash community when he wins a tournament is something else, and that malicious mentality bleeds into public too; started with chants and booing up to even that physical attempt with the crab incident.

But that's okay because he's killing the "spirit of Melee" (lost count of hearing that too). Apparently, Melee is only Melee when you play it by their non-spoken house rules, otherwise expect backlash and the community demanding new rules to prohibit you doing that again.

There was also a horrible amount of hate towards ZeRo around the 2014 Smash Invitational too, which clinged onto years as he was dominant in tournaments. Now you often see hate against MKLeo for his dominance and use of Joker or Maister for playing Game & Watch.

Feb 24, 2018
This all sounds so stupid.
The Jigglypuff thing especially, like how is that Box's problem? If he's good and successful at a character, of course their going to use it. It comes across as "stop using this character we don't like!" which is just silly, reminds me of Tekken players who get wound up if you use Panda (which has happened to me), their in the game, I'm going to use them and kick your arse with them, it's not the player's fault you don't like them or find them lame.

It feels like Smash is the only FGC community where people get severely harassed for the characters they play. You see it with Smash 4 players and Bayonetta and now in recent times Maister with Mr. Game and Watch. It's so stupid.

While Smash seems to be the most loudest and most organised when it comes to stuff like this, you do see this in other games as well, like I said I found myself getting this for playing as Panda and seen the same for Lucky Chloe in Tekken 7, people who guests characters in the MK/Injustice can also get this from what I've seen. Never see it being THIS bad though.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Hungrybox came by my job once for something and signed 2 things for my coworkers kids who were big fans

Seemed like a nice guy

I saw Hungrybox at a grocery store in Florida yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

On-topic: Hbox seems like a cool enough person, but I don't need Zero of all people to tell me that

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Hungrybox at a grocery store in Florida yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?" I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

This is the thread now. Wtf.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

lol Zero needed to make a video about something today.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood the Hungrybox hate. Always seemed so over the top, especially with things like the crowd chanting "fuck hungrybox" after he won a tournament or that time someone threw a crab at him because he won. He's always seemed like a nice person to me and I think his puff is great to watch tbh.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I got nothing to add to this discussion because I don't know who these ppl are, but I would like to point out that the most effective way to play Jigglypuff is to be the most annoying little shit you can be

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the Hungrybox hate. Always seemed so over the top, especially with things like the crowd chanting "fuck hungrybox" after he won a tournament or that time someone threw a crab at him because he won. He's always seemed like a nice person to me and I think his puff is great to watch tbh.
I think things have gotten a lot better for him since the crab incident. And his play is usually less lame than it used to be. I never really root for Hbox (except against Ice Climbers while wobbling is legal) but I don't mind watching him play in sets where he's confident. When he's on the ropes that's where it gets really ugly and he resorts to exceptionally boring and uninteresting tactics.

He's probably also improved in his interactions with people. There was an interview several years ago he did and he really talked down to his fans. Made it sound more like he "tolerates" them than appreciates them.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
The original video is actually pretty good and is worth a watch too (though it's really long).

In terms of Zero commenting on it, dude probably has a good idea what's it like to live with that constant pressure and hostile attitude. Can't imagine it's good mentally to put up with that constantly.