• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which character is most likely to appear in the next game?

• Snake

Votes: 173 16.9%
  • SSJ Snake

Votes: 30 2.9%
  • SSGSS Snake

Votes: 91 8.9%
  • Ultra Instinct Snake

Votes: 365 35.6%
  • Goku

Votes: 367 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I could see 2 more Xenoblade reps, but if I had to guess, I'd say Rex makes it in before her.

But why though? Xenoblade 2 just came out. The fact that the Inkling's design is based on the original Splatoon (and not Splatoon 2) potentially rules out Rex and Pyra.

I think from what we know, a rep from XCX is far more likely than XC2. If Rex and Pyra/Mythra aren't in the base game, they're definitely strong candidates for DLC.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If it's true that Sakurai loves Xeno it's not unprecedented that he gives favoritisms to smaller series. Fire Emblem has more reps than Zelda so 3 characters for Xeno is possible, even if not incredibly likely. 2 is the minimum bar I can see though, Rex is in 100%.
I wouldn't say Rex is 100% in. He (with Pyra) & Spring Man are the most obvious choices, yes, but they also have the problem of being in recent releases. It's entirely possible that ARMS & Xenoblade 2 may have been too recent for the base roster.

With that said, I do think Nintendo may have given Sakurai & Co. prior knowledge on those two games in particular, so I'm not that worried about Spring Man & Rex/Pyra.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't say Rex is 100% in. He (with Pyra) & Spring Man are the most obvious choices, yes, but they also have the problem of being in recent releases. It's entirely possible that ARMS & Xenoblade 2 may have been too recent for the base roster.

With that said, I do think Nintendo may have given Sakurai & Co. prior knowledge on those two games in particular, so I'm not that worried about Spring Man & Rex/Pyra.

Greninja should be proof that being recent isn't that big of a deal

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But why though? Xenoblade 2 just came out. The fact that the Inkling's design is based on the original Splatoon (and not Splatoon 2) potentially rules out Rex and Pyra.

I think from what we know, a rep from XCX is far more likely than XC2. If Rex and Pyra/Mythra aren't in the base game, they're definitely strong candidates for DLC.
An argument could also be made that Splatoon 1's designs are more iconic since they kicked off the franchise.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • © doesn't mention Namco Bandai or Sora but instead mentions HAL and Nintendo; a port's original assets would be copyrighted by Bamco and Sora.
it's not a co-owned game by Bandai Namco, they were just the studio who were contracted to make the game. they wouldnt have any copyright on Smash 4 outside their characters appearing

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm more of tempering my expectations. Going by BotW Link being the new Link, it seems like they aren't gonna reuse assets for everyone. That number assumes that everyone is being made from scratch. If not, a number closer or maybe slightly above Smash 4 & 5's may be possible.
They can still reuse the animations and moveset for a character like Breath of the Wild Link, which are the part that take most development time, not the models. Note that we had Link's moveset transitioning between OoT Link and TP Link with no modified moves, just some tweaked effects like adding a gale effect to the boomerang. So, new models don't necessarily mean moveset revamps.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
You know what's the one real thing that Sakurai's overlooked in all of these games? Bowser's Castle as a stage. The closest thing there is would be 1/3rd of the Paper Mario stage (which could also probably benefit from a better stage). Still, I guess I'd be kind of okay if Bowser's Castle got excluded again if World Bowser from Super Mario 3D World was a stage.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get why this is a "rule" for Zelda and only Zelda. Sakurai's lack of a new Zelda character in Smash 4 is head-scratching since Fire Emblem and Pokemon (Xenoblade soon to join...) always do this "new hotness" thing with rotating characters each game, yet get a new rep in Smash.

At this rate Zelda will never get another newcomer in the series, since only Link, Zelda, Ganon, and Impa are considered core characters. Sheik and to a lesser extent, Toon Link and Ganondorf might as well be "outdated" if recent games are anything to go by.

That's why some of us are clutching to the Champions, since they were memorable characters in one of the most important Zelda games in the entire franchise. BotW Impa and Ganon aren't exactly Smash material either.

Fire Emblem has new protagonist(s) almost every entry. It's constantly introducing characters just as important as Marth (well, maybe not exactly the same, but close enough). When was the last time Zelda introduced a new character as essential to the series as Zelda, Link, or Ganon? Never.

Xenoblade is possibly gonna become similar to FE in that sense because it's another series that has a new MC and cast every game.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what's the one real thing that Sakurai's overlooked in all of these games? Bowser's Castle as a stage. The closest thing there is would be 1/3rd of the Paper Mario stage (which could also probably benefit from a better stage). Still, I guess I'd be kind of okay if Bowser's Castle got excluded again if World Bowser from Super Mario 3D World was a stage.
Too late for that, it's all about Metro Kingdom now

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Greninja should be proof that being recent isn't that big of a deal
It varies from series to series though (or even depending on specific conditions of the development of each game). WiiU/3ds had Sakurai adding Greninja even before his name was finalized, but at the same time it had no 3d World content outside of bgms. There was also no Galaxy content back in Brawl. So, it seems like he doesn't get early access to the 3d Mario team's assets compared to some other developers.

Even for series where sometimes he gets early information, it's not always consistent, like how he had early access to Fire Emblem's Roy for Melee, but didn't learn about Ike's new look in Radiant Dawn until late into the development of Brawl.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
I see the Ridley fan force wasted no time in crawling out of their hole. I still hope the character is never playable, simply out of spite.

HE'S TOO BIG.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Too late for that, it's all about Metro Kingdom now
I've got no doubt that New Donk is going to be a stage, but ever since the beginning, Mario's had more stages than any other series. Wii U had 3 new ones, and 3DS had 4, and there was still a DLC stage on top of that, so we're probably going to get similar numbers here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know what would be an awesome traveling stage? Crocodile Isle. It would also be a great home stage from K. Rool.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Reasons for it being a deluxe port:
  • Introduction via new character
  • Earlier rumours of a Smash 4+5 Deluxe
  • Quantity of stuff in Smash 4 is almost insurmountable
  • Nintendo appears to salvage lost income from WiiU games by porting everything over to Switch
Reasons for it being a new installment:
  • Smash 4 arguably already has a between-port-and-remake installment on 3DS (Smash 5)
  • © doesn't mention Namco Bandai or Sora but instead mentions HAL and Nintendo; a port's original assets would be copyrighted by Bamco and Sora. [rejected below]
  • © adds HAL; WiiU's © only mentioned Nintendo
  • © only mentions 2018; a port would mention 2014
  • The (expected) confusion would lead to disappointment if it turns out to be a deluxe port
  • There was an unknown but distinct melody playing with the burning logo; this would've been Smash 4/5's main melody if it were a deluxe port
  • Smash, like Super Mario, arguably deserves a completely new installment per console (Mario Kart too; might be an outlier)
  • Smash 4 sold quite alright; 2/5th of Smash 3. Mario Kart 8 by comparison only sold 1/5th of MK Wii.
  • Kirby Star Allies has (even for a Kirby game) lots of Smash-like elements (including, notably, loading times between stages). This game might be HAL testing the waters of a Smash engine, which might be unnessecary if Smash Switch is just a deluxe port.

My Theory is that its a hybrid

I think originally based on the Serkan Toto rumors they had considered making a Deluxe port of Smash 4 along with Mario Kart 8 for the launch window. However they likely opted to push it back and rethink it since they already had 2 heavy hitters in 2017.

So I believe they are reusing a lot of the foundation made in Smash 4. Assets, animations, engine, etc.... but building an entire new game with it

So in a sense.... Its a new game built off the back of Smash 4. I expect so see at least some familiar elements but the modes, roster, moves and everything will be rebuilt.

This is just my best guess but I would LOVE to know whats really going on

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it would count as a traveling stage, but I'd like a version of Aether Paradise from Pokemon Sun & Moon that goes up and down levels. Like it starts at the dock, but then can move up into the garden or down into the basement.

Breath of the Wild hopefully wouldn't have a traveling stage, since they just did that with Skyloft in the last game.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017

I think originally based on the Serkan Toto rumors they had considered making a Deluxe port of Smash 4 along with Mario Kart 8 for the launch window. However they likely opted to push it back and rethink it since they already had 2 heavy hitters in 2017.

So I believe they are reusing a lot of the foundation made in Smash 4. Assets, animations, engine, etc.... but building an entire new game with it

So in a sense.... Its a new game built off the back of Smash 4. I expect so see at least some familiar elements but the modes, roster, moves and everything will be rebuilt.

This would be nice honestly. Smash 4 is a great base to work from. I'm just thinking time frames between smash and development hell it normally goes through for it maybe being a deluxe port, but im happy with whatever. I just want smash on switch so i can truly retire my Wii U.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im just thinking of stages that could have Jump Up Superstar play and sound good. Obviously Metro Kingdom works but Bowser Kingdom doesn't. But Bowser Kingdom does if you get whisked away to somewhere else quickly.

Oct 27, 2017

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For BotW, I'm expecting a stage that represents The Great Plateau and/or something that involves all of the Divine Beasts.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah see with the new characters and all the extras that they would be compelled to add in its hard not to see this as a New Game entirely

Even though it will likely be built off the Smash 4 foundation

I have to imagine they created and rethought all the content. I wouldn't go in expecting the entire Smash 4 roster to be present and I expect all the characters it does have to be changed or tweaked in various ways

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling BOTW is going to get a giant sized stage, to represent the game's massive scale. Something similar to Gaur Plain from Xenoblade.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I think this is the most reasonable theory.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll allow Rabbids only as an assist trophy, provided we have the option to turn specific assist trophies off.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I believe many rumors sorrounding a port of Smash 4 were just bullshit and that's it. Every Smash game reuses assets from the previous one except maybe Melee. So of course Smash 5 is going to be heavily based on 4, but I believe it started and will be released as a completely new game.
Every Assassin's Creed game then could be considered a game which started as a port, and then developed in its own thing. Almost every gaming franchise on earth could fall in that cathegory.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I believe many rumors sorrounding a port of Smash 4 were just bullshit and that's it. Every Smash game reuses assets from the previous one except maybe Melee. So of course Smash 5 is going to be heavily based on 4, but I believe it started and will be released as a completely new game.
Every Assassin's Creed game then could be considered a game which started as a port, and then developed in its own thing. Almost every gaming franchise on earth could fall in that cathegory.

Even Melee! 64'a Stages are there.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Serkan Toto is a pretty reliable source i thought

Either way its clear that they wanted to go in a different direction and also given the time table of development Im sure that Smash 4 and its resources are the base for the new game

I agree that its a new game btw.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thank you. This notion of everything nintendo makes being enhanced ports even when they are revealed as sequels (or this hilarious notion of a "hybrid" like not every sequel almost ever re-use assets and often engine too) when they do the same things as everyone else for their sequels are frankly ridicilous.

It kind of feel like people can't accept that nintendo makes games like everyone else and also of course some who willfully try to paint an unfair image of nintendo not doing anything but porting games and not developing anything new.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. This notion of everything nintendo makes being enhanced ports even when they are revealed as sequels (or this hilarious notion of a "hybrid" like not every sequel almost ever re-use assets and often engine too) when they do the same things as everyone else for their sequels are frankly ridicilous.

What why?

Seems logical given the timetable?

Its not meant as a knock against it and based on what new stuff is confirmed (inklings and BOTW Link) Its clear that they are building a new game. I didnt think my guess was a hilarious notion given the credibility of the sources of those rumors

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ya know what would be an awesome traveling stage? Crocodile Isle. It would also be a great home stage from K. Rool.
Or we get a transitional stage, starting on his pirate ship, crashing into crocodile isle, getting on his airship that then crashes into his castle back on the island XD

I get the feeling BOTW is going to get a giant sized stage, to represent the game's massive scale. Something similar to Gaur Plain from Xenoblade.
Should be Gramps(the Titan in the beginning) traveling between all the Titans and chatting with the players

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Just watched the trailer for like the 3rd time and man I love that music remind me of Attack on Titan for some reason. I get a Godly/Holy feel just listening to it.

Smash Era we hear baby!

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at the logos for the Wii U -> Switch ports and I'm convinced Smash is a NEW game, not a port. Take a look:

1PgxDnc.jpg

ACmGfb3.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of new stages I'm hoping for Odyssey's Lost Kingdom and BOTW's Rito village.

Maybe even something like Dragon Roost Island could be possible since WW HD wasn't that long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.