• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which character is most likely to appear in the next game?

• Snake

Votes: 173 16.9%
  • SSJ Snake

Votes: 30 2.9%
  • SSGSS Snake

Votes: 91 8.9%
  • Ultra Instinct Snake

Votes: 365 35.6%
  • Goku

Votes: 367 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Another reason it could be a port is the fact that every previous smash bros reveal trailer was structured very similarly:

Melee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA
Brawl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbetJKOQB7k
Smash 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5nH1kToa8

They always reveal Mario first, then Link, then Kirby and Pikachu hop in.
There's a first time for everything.

I'm not sure why people always look for random trends like this.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
People that think that this is a port instead of a new game are probably the same ones that doubted that Xenoblade 2 would release on 2017.

You have to consider that:

-Sakurai and the development team (I'm assuming Namco again) now have HD Smash Bros experience.
-They aren't developing for two platforms with a big power gap.
-They aren't doing exclusive stages or game modes.
-No considerations of what to cut or what wouldn't work based on one of the platforms. The entire focus it's on one.

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Except it doesn't really feel like a Smash 4 character reveal either. And if it adds new characters, new stages, and other new content, isn't this arguing schemantics anyway because if they add new characters, it might as well be a new game.
The difference between a port and a new game would be a new physics engine. If the keep the smash 4 engine then its a port, if not its a new game.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS did not actually have six to seven year development times. Brawl began work on 2005 and released in 2008 and Smash Wii U/3DS was announced in 2011, started development in 2012, and released in 2014. If work started on this game in late 2015, that can be perfectly in line with the other games development cycles.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
It seems more silly to always expect the worst, no matter the context. It's been 4 years since the last game.

If 4 years aren't enough 6 wouldn't be enough either. Some people here make the impression they would still call this a port if Smash 4 released 10 years ago.

Well considering people are saying it is too soon six years might be enough.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between a port and a new game would be a new physics engine. If the keep the smash 4 engine then its a port, if not its a new game.
Even if they add a ton of new characters, stages and some new modes?

I think that, along with a revamped menu and main theme is enough to call it a sequel

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's going to be a sequel, but improving on a game wouldn't be called a sequel to some from what I'm getting in this thread. If that is the case, there is no legit definition of sequel.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Does it matter if they build upon the Wii U version for the Switch game? I mean, thats what sequels do typically

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So what's the BoTW stage going to be like? Hyrule field or maybe on top of the flying divine beast? Maybe a small version of the great plateau?
I'm guessing we'll be getting New Donk City too.
It's going to be a flying tour stage :'(

Or worse, the largest stage in SSB history

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So is Smash 4 a port of Brawl? Which would be a port of Melee I guess?

Does that make this game the rumored Melee HD? Since it's a port of a port of a port of Melee.

Every Smash game is built on previous Smash games

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be whatever nintendo wants it to be. Otherwise we are just gonna spend the rest of the thread arguing back and forth over what consists of a sequel

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Define new

It's not a port of the Wii U game

It's not a completely fresh start, either

In terms of branding it's probably going to be referred to as a sequel
I expect it to be just as new as the next Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed is. I.e. running on the same engine but clearly being a new video game.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Almost had an anneurism reading 64 and melee not being much different. The games have different visual presentation too as well as the physics and modes

Yeah they look different (which I stated and mentioned was obvious and gave reasons why), but game play wise? They are very close. Wayyyyyyy closer than Brawl and Melee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV3uGVyATso Dash dancing, edge hogging, decent hit stun for combos, and l cancelling (z cancelling on 64). I dunno maybe you haven't really played these games very often, but while they are different, it isn't some huge departure and it's more of a refinement than anything. Also again, we don't even know what the new game looks like, what modes it has, or how it plays so you saying it seems like a deluxe version and sourcing these things means that you literally have no evidence considering these are details only Nintendo knows at the moment. Meanwhile the evidence we actually do have suggests nothing of the sort. The most important thing I've gathered from this is you aren't really reading what I type so I'm not going to waste more time here.

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Even if they add a ton of new characters, stages and some new modes?

I think that, along with a revamped menu and main theme is enough to call it a sequel
Yes, I'd call that an enhanced port or DX version. The only way these games differentiate themselves other than the roster is through the physics engine. If Brawl had the same roster as melee but the different physics, is it a port still?
I mean, it's probably going to be based on older titles so the physics will probably be similar but 4's physics changed per patch.
I meant more of a jump from Melee to Brawl or Brawl to Smash 4.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS did not actually have six to seven year development times. Brawl began work on 2005 and released in 2008 and Smash Wii U/3DS was announced in 2011, started development in 2012, and released in 2014. If work started on this game in late 2015, that can be perfectly in line with the other games development cycles.
Yup, people are missing this.

And even if it started out as a port, they would've had to decide on that change so early in it's development cycle that it's inconsequential.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Smash 4 DLC ended in February 2016 after the release of Corrin and Bayonetta. That would have given Sakurai around 2.5 years to make the Switch version. That seems pretty reasonable so long as he retained the same development team at Bandai Namco and they were able to use the existing game engine and assets from the Wii U version. I'm fully onboard the sequel train and this not being a Deluxe version.

I also have a feeling now that Sakurai "knew" he was going into the sequel before DLC ended, given that the character poll was definitely for more than just Bayonetta.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I want a new final Smash for Mario. Hear me out.

Get a Smash Ball. You press B, and Cappy's eyes appear on Mario's hat. Now he has one shot to throw him, with the potential to miss. If you connect with another player though, Mario gets sucked into that character's body, using the same animation as Odyssey. (Visually, in mario's place, a small flag appears. It is strictly for animation purposes.)

Once Mario has captured an opponent (they, of course, have cappy on their head, blue eyes, and Mario's mustache), he has free reign to do what he wants with them for 30 seconds. He can use literally any of their abilities to fight other opponents, if he chooses. He can also choose to jump off a ledge.

If the character Mario is controlling dies, or the 30 second limit is up, Cappy flies back to the flagpole, and swings around it, while Mario poofs back into place, using the same animations as fast-travel in Odyssey.

This sounds absolutely too perfect to me, and suits Mario a hell of a lot more than firing a giant fireball.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my dumb theory based off of arbitrary rules that don't exist: The music in the trailer sounded new, so it's gonna be a sequel. If it was an enhanced port of 4 they would've had a reprised version of 4's theme. Or something.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'd call that an enhanced port or DX version. The only way these games differentiate themselves other than the roster is through the physics engine. If Brawl had the same roster as melee but the different physics, is it a port still?

I meant more of a jump from Melee to Brawl or Brawl to Smash 4.

What...would that even look like? The jump from Melee to Brawl was because of the casualization of Brawl while Smash 4 was a push towards competitiveness. The engine probably isn't going to be as drastic as the other entries anyways.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Except it doesn't really feel like a Smash 4 character reveal either. And if it adds new characters, new stages, and other new content, isn't this arguing schemantics anyway because if they add new characters, it might as well be a new game.
But it did feel just like a Smash 4 character reveal. It was just missing the character title card after the logo reveal.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else think the teaser was going to be a Splatoon Battle Royale mode before it switched? 'Cause I honestly did for a few seconds, lol.

"What is this? They already showed Splatoon 2 stuff. A new game? With two Inklings running around alone fighting each other. No way...is Nintendo going after that PUBG/Fortnite money?"

Wouldn't be too crazy anyhow. And Splatoon would obviously be the franchise to do it with.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
If it's really a full sequel I'll be very impressed by the turnaround between 4 and this. Even if it was just Smash 4 with some new characters I would still be down.

Kind of makes me wonder, though. Could they release a Smash game light on content, then fill it out over the course of a year like they've done with ARMS and Splatoon? Smash 4 had paid DLC, but I could see Nintendo trying the free support approach as well... especially if they're hustling just to get the game released for the holidays.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Top of my wishlist:

No 8-player mode

I'm all for wacky craziness but out of hundreds of 5+ player matches I played, I don't think I knew what was going on in a single one. It's an unreadable mess and you may as well let the AI play since you don't have any real control of anything that's happening.

"But why cut out a feature you don't like, just don't use it!"

Well, because SSBU was built around 8 player mode, where the "Classic" mode was a mess, among other things.

Second on my wishlist:

Bring back match scoring from SSB64/Melee.

Third on my wishlist:

Give every stage a Battlefield variant in addition to a Final Destination variant.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's more likely to get a rep Xenoblade X or Xenoblade 2?

Why do you think there's "no way" the other are coming back? Even Bayonetta who has a new game exclusive to Nintendo?
I would think 2, but Smash has a distinct lack of giant robots so X could easily get a spot.
33% Elma
33% Rex with just Pyra
33% Rex with Pyra, Mythra,
and Nia
1% Tatsu is NOT FOOD!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Squiddo suggested in another thread that the Inklings could include alts of Callie, Marie, Pearl and Marina. That's brilliant!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering about BOTW Link... They could have Toon Link carry his original moveset while regular Link gets some BOTW gear to spice up his moveset. That'd be neat.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah man, people are already going on with that "who are they going to cut" garbage?

They should cut FE characters to make room for the new ones

iSZqoqk.jpg

Haha

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's most likely a new game, the title card at the end seemed so basic and it didn't say something like "Super Smash Bros. Deluxe" which would indicate it was a port.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
If no characters from Xenoblade X is in then maybe Mira itself can be a stage. Like you're on Skells that flies across Mira.

Status
Not open for further replies.