• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which character is most likely to appear in the next game?

• Snake

Votes: 173 16.9%
  • SSJ Snake

Votes: 30 2.9%
  • SSGSS Snake

Votes: 91 8.9%
  • Ultra Instinct Snake

Votes: 365 35.6%
  • Goku

Votes: 367 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like what
Overlord II
Sonic 2
Splatoon 2
Majora's Mask

and almost every other sequel in video game history is to the previous game in the series

jesus why do people only act this way with Nintendo games

I remember when IGN said Splatoon 2 doesn't feel like a sequel. I would love it if someone at IGN brought that up with the next Call of Duty. Apparently it's the same engine since COD4.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
I wonder if the Nintendo overlords are pushing for Smash 5 6 to unite the Wii U & Melee communities, especially with Nintendo Versus already pushing Smash 6 on Twitter (quickly throwing out ARMS, Splatoon 2, & Pokkén). That'd probably be the way to defeat Street Fighter V & Dragon Ball FighterZ within the FGC.
Does Nintendo really care about "defeating" those games though?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
If anything, I could see Mega Man & Ryu being updated to their MM11 & SFV (respectively) incarnations. Hell, throw in Hot Ryu as an alternate costume for Ryu.
Hot Ryu would be a megaton costume wise for me. I like Sm4sh Mega Man, but he looked too robotic to me. I liked his animeish Astroboy look like in 8 or 11's look.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was clearly labeled a couple months later when it was shown off at the Switch presentation. When it was first shown off they showed the new item system, some new characters, and a single track leaving people confused on whether it was a port or MK9.

So it was clearly labeled when it was officially announced. I'm glad we agree.

Chepe

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this game is about to have all new stages, new and retooled characters, new assist trophies, new music, new game modes and some will still be calling it a port

some motherfuckers always trying to skate uphill

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TIL I learned that the vast majority of video games ever released are just ports of one another, since they use a lot of the same engines.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I can't believe people are discussing whether this is a Port or a New Game.

All these WiiU ports are making you paranoid.

Chepe

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference between a port and a new game would be a new physics engine. If the keep the smash 4 engine then its a port, if not its a new game.

are you like new to this hobby or something

what are you even talking about

this would make 90% of games ports by your definition

Oct 28, 2017
I want close ups of all the silhouettes of Nintendo characters posing menacingly in front of the fiery logo

Maybe we'll get an extended version of this trailer

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they basically copied Brawl's engine into Smash 4 and retooled it plus had a bunch of carryover material (at one point some demo footage of Smash 4 still showed Diddy Kong having his Brawl portrait) so I don't think even that game had an engine that was built from scratch. It doesn't need to be to be a sequel.
just goes to show you that this "is it a sequel" talk is pretty dang pointless

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're misinterpreting what I said. I meant in terms of the physics and gameplay.

Still doesn't matter. Mario Kart 7 and 8 play exactly the same from one another. The only thing different are their content, i.e. courses, characters, etc. Is 8 just a port of 7?

Are all Assassin's Creed games from last generation actually just ports of one another?

Chepe

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to see the mountain of salt when Rex + Pyra/Mythra get announced. It shall nourish me through to the afterlife and reincarnation.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah its Smash 5 I feel.

Also if DK doesn't get another fucking Rep I will lose it. 5 games and no K Rool? The villain of 4 of the 6 main entries in the franchise? DO IT. Dixie is fine, too. This is the time to finally fix up the roster with the standouts that have been missing and get rid of some of the bloat (fuck of Fire Emblem, I love you, but get the hell out with all that shit).

I can't wait to see the mountain of salt when Rex + Pyra/Mythra get announced. It shall nourish me through to the afterlife and reincarnation.

Maaaan let them be salty, that would be dope as hell.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sure looks like an official announcement to me. https://youtu.be/mDhSjMF59uc?t=1m32s

For the Switch? Yes. But the games were not officially announced until January, and some of them not for months after that.

When Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was officially revealed, it was as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. There was no caginess about it.

We're not talking about simulated on-screen footage here. We're talking about an announcement trailer that has a working title with a brand new logo. There's no reason to believe it's a port other than the usual bloodyminded unwillingness to believe Nintendo could get something right.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I hope we get character costumes in general. Can't see Sakurai focusing on a whole lot of mii costumes again.
That was most disappointing part of Sm4sh for me DLC wise. Costumes for actual characters would have done well. I wouldn't even mind paying more if I can get a Train outfit Toon Link and the sorts.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be K. Rool. I thought he was a long shot for Smash 4, but the fact that they went out of their way to give him a Mii costume—based on his old design, no less—means they've acknowledged his popularity. Dixie would be nice too, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

I'll take what I can get too, honestly. Dixie, Cranky, Funky, K. Rool, I'd even be okay with DK Jr. I've wanted Dixie the most because I'd love to see what Sakurai could do with her moveset.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see link and the runes, but what would zelda even do? She does next to nothing in the game other than something that would be considered a final smash probably
Robotics-Nerd BotW Zelda. summoning guardians and mini-guardians, Pokemon Trainer style. final smash being the Divine Beasts

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
That was most disappointing part of Sm4sh for me DLC wise. Costumes for actual characters would have done well. I wouldn't even mind paying more if I can get a Train outfit Toon Link and the sorts.
Yeah Smash 4 was the perfect opportunity and we didn't get it, then DLC was announced and instead of alt costumes we got fucking Mii costumes. Still upsets me.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back during the character ballot does anyone remember which 3rd party characters people rallied behind other than Bayonetta?

I recall Snake, Rayman, Banjo-Kazooie, Shovel Knight, and Shantae. Can't remember if any others were up there in popularity.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its Smash 5 I feel.

Also if DK doesn't get another fucking Rep I will lose it. 5 games and no K Rool? The villain of 4 of the 6 main entries in the franchise? DO IT. Dixie is fine, too. This is the time to finally fix up the roster with the standouts that have been missing and get rid of some of the bloat (fuck of Fire Emblem, I love you, but get the hell out with all that shit).

I'm already preparing for more Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus so if we do get a new DK character, I'll legitimately be in shock.

Yo but Banjo.... I can feel it this time... Microsoft and Nintendo are gonna pull the trigger. I feel it.

Imagine if Nintendo by some magic gets us Banjo and Crash Bandicoot.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mainly want characters that have unique body types. These are probably unlikely but as examples Crash, Spyro, Ameratsu have body types and movement styles unlike anyone currently in Smash. Whereas the next anime guy with sword isn't going to be as interesting.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its Smash 5 I feel.

Maaaan let them be salty, that would be dope as hell.

Don't blame the Smash team

Blame retro for not giving K.Rool a redesign and injecting some life into the fat, ugly crocodile that diehard fans seem to enjoy for some reason

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Been at work since noon so I couldn't watch the direct. Heard about this and knew what was coming, but my god that trailer still got me way more hyped than I thought it would. That was super well done for something that ultimately showed so little. Can't wait!

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Still doesn't matter. Mario Kart 7 and 8 play exactly the same from one another. The only thing different are their content, i.e. courses, characters, etc. Is 8 just a port of 7?

Are all Assassin's Creed games from last generation actually just ports of one another?
I think this analogy is being stretched a bit thin, it's just my personal opinion on how I feel about Smash.

Oct 25, 2017
In some ways it feels like this clip is the official canonization of Splatoon as a major Nintendo franchise... the Inklings stand before the awesome power of Nintendo's assembled superstars and are deemed worthy.
I interpreted it as the inklings realizing they're about to get the beating of their lives from the approaching Smash veteran fighters.
But that works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.