• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
For real, the Wii U version has easily the worst Classic Mode in the series, which is frustrating because the 3DS version has one (if not the) best.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
For my money's worth, Brawl and Smash Wii U's Classic Modes are both the worst, and the funny thing is they're the complete opposite of each other.

Brawl's version tried too much to be like Smash 64's equivalent, which is a total step back from the variety of Melee's Classic mode. You always have to start off fighting Zelda characters, then either Yoshi or Donkey Kong, then Fire Emblem or Mother, than Kirby, and so on. It gets old super fast considering you have to play through it like 40 different times with each character. Doesn't help that the fun mini-games from the previous games like Target Smash or Race to the Finish were either neutered or removed altogether...but whereas Brawl's Classic Mode was far too rigid and samey, Smash Wii U's Classic Mode is far too messy and chaotic. There is literally no order or logic to anything whatsoever. Characters and rules are just randomly haphazardly thrown everywhere with no cohesion in the slightest.

Melee and Smash 3DS's Classic Modes are by far the best because they maintain a good balance of having varied, random encounters all while having some sort of organization and structure to everything. Melee's mode, for example, always starts off with a 1v1 battle, then a 2v2 battle, then a character specific Target Smash and so on. It just changes the characters and stages each playthrough to make it feel fresh. Smash 3DS's version was a bit less structured, but there was at least logic to it. When you fight a Mario character, it takes place on a Mario themed stage, unlike the Wii U version where it just says "fuck it, fight Metal Olimar on Duck Hunt or something, I don't give a fuck anymore".

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't understand how they make the perfect Classic mode on the 3DS and then go and do the garbage on the Wii U

And sadly, since any future game will be based on the Wii U version, this is likely more the direction they'll go in

PushDustIn

Oct 25, 2017
All Star wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need to complete the whole mode in order to get the trophy for the character. Just cutting the required characters in half to get a trophy would make things easier and the full mode optional.

The issue is that the characters are always in order, especially since Sakurai likes to highlight the age and importance of the characters (the CSS is also ordered around years as well).

...Maybe enemies could just be made easier to KO in All Star mode and that would be enough?

As for Classic Mode -- yeah the Wii U is bad. I like how in both the 3DS and Wii U they tried giving players an option on what battle to fight. It's just sometimes it's impossible to not have a 8 player battle in the Wii U version. Making sure players always have that choice would go a long way to making the classic more more balanced.

I just want them to fix unlocking custom moves and pieces. I hate unlocking the same thing over and over again. Equipment is one thing but moves, hats and costumes should be separated more effectively.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The WiiU classic mode would make a good alternative to classic instead of actually being classic mode.
I feel that All Star only really worked in melee, as the roster balloons in size it becomes more like multi man melee or else it just becomes too much of a slog.
Perhaps replace it with a gauntlet mode where you have to fight a certain number of random characters akin to the amount in melee, All Star could be its own thing to highlight the eras on the side.
In both these two extra mode ideas, they could share the trophy unlocks maybe?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The Wii U classic should replaced Smash Tour as a new mode, Smash Tour should have died in a violent and painful car accident, and both the 3DS and Wii U should have had the same Classic mode.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U classic should replaced Smash Tour as a new mode, Smash Tour should have died in a violent and painful car accident, and both the 3DS and Wii U should have had the same Classic mode.

The worst part about Smash tour is how fun the stock mechanics is and how wasted it is by being relegated only to this mode. I loved having to play as a different character when I died changes up how I play. They should've done what Project M did and made it a special mode.

And if this game gets the Deluxe treatment, Smash run needs to be online with some tweaks like being able to interact with other players maybe fighting over the bonuses or setting up traps .

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Wii U's Classic Mode is up there with the Final Destination flash as the most headscratching complaint to me. Lack of themes? Sure, but I find it engaging to strategize which group to fight depending on their coins/Crazy Order tickets. Also, 8-Player Smash rocks.

I also don't get how Trophy Rush is "aggravating"; I attempt to get new scores all the time. I'd much rather have an active mode like that than something as static and lifeless as Melee's lottery.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I liked Trophy Rush and Master/Crazy Orders

Yeah, they rock. I also don't think the Trophy Photo Studio gets enough credit; I don't know why I never get tired of fixing Majora's Mask to everyone's faces, but I never stop laughing at it.

Regardless, I can sympathize about All-Star Mode although I'm not particularly too bothered by it. Meanwhile, I don't hate Smash Tour, but it's like a "Well, this is okay, but why did they do this?" kinda thing.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Should hopefully be playing later tonight. Do people here actively still play?

I need to get back in shape and train, before switch smash comes out.

Would love to play with era if anyone is ever available. I am also on the discord.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Doing some for glory, let me know if anyone wants to play

Edit: I'll try to play a bit most nights. Or at least a couple of nights every week.

If anyone wants to play let me know. I think I showed a couple of players last night, that there is such a as a good little mac. Still gotta get in even better shape tho. Ggs

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Monster Hunter is making huge money on non-Nintendo platforms again, maybe it will finally get a rep, like Snake and Cloud.

RogersBase

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Super Smash Bros. Arcade for Nintendo Switch
  • September 2018 release date
  • Enhanced port of Wii U w/ all DLC and 3DS content
  • New Adventure Mode and the return of real Break the Targets
  • Ice Climbers return
  • New characters include Inkling, Ribbon Girl, Pyra, Snipperclips, Camilla, Neku, Bomberman, Crono, Noctis, Don-chan, Ivy, KOS-MOS, Sidon, Labo Man and Arino Kacho
Box art already leaked too. Can't wait.

DXllFgJUQAAcHOC.png

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Arcade for Nintendo Switch
  • September 2018 release date
  • Enhanced port of Wii U w/ all DLC and 3DS content
  • New Adventure Mode and the return of real Break the Targets
  • Ice Climbers return
  • New characters include Inkling, Ribbon Girl, Pyra, Snipperclips, Camilla, Neku, Bomberman, Crono, Noctis, Don-chan, Ivy, KOS-MOS, Sidon, Labo Man and Arino Kacho
Box art already leaked too. Can't wait.

DXllFgJUQAAcHOC.png

no wolf no buy

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
For real, the Wii U version has easily the worst Classic Mode in the series, which is frustrating because the 3DS version has one (if not the) best.
Yep, when people talk about the Switch version being the Wii U version with the 3DS' stages added I groan.

Classic mode on 3DS was a breeze to play through so I happily went through it with all the characters despite how many there are (something I only did previously in Melee as even Brawl felt too much).

Still haven't bothered to complete it fully in the Wii U version. The forced 5-8 player matches doesn't help as I really don't like them.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello guys. I love Super Smash Bros., it's one of my favourite franchises so I decided to post in here and watch this thread!!

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone down to play on wii u?

ID: jorgejjvr

Edit: man, it is hard to find people to play with these days

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You should ping Shamrock in Discord since he always looking for one! :P Also I'm up for some Smash but you always ask for the matches at wrong time so I'm sorry that I'm hard to get hold of.
Haha no worries! Hopefully one of these days! And I remember Sham, still the Ness king?

Can't wait for smash switch, it should bring everyone back again.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been (very slowly) working on a video about potential new fighters in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch, with the hopes of finishing it up before Smash Bros. is actually announced for Switch. However, I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get it completed, and since we could very well get a Smash announcement in this upcoming Direct, I might as well share this here now just in case it'll be too late after the Direct:

7GawRgo.png

MeBiN5z.png

ALMOST CERTAINLY:
  • Ice Climbers
  • Inkling Girl / Inkling Boy

VERY LIKELY:
  • Wolf
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Decidueye

QUITE POSSIBLE:
  • Snake
  • Spring Man
  • Chorus Kids
  • Slime

PRETTY UNLIKELY:
  • Paper Mario
  • Dixie Kong
  • Elma
  • Professor Layton

FAT CHANCE:
  • (Captain) Toad / Toadette
  • King K. Rool
  • (Bandana) Waddle Dee
  • Takamaru
  • Jibanyan

NOT RANKED:
  • Champion Link (only expected as an alternate model for Link, not a separate character)
  • New yet-to-be-revealed characters (for example, a new Pokémon or Fire Emblem character)

Basically, I sifted through all cut veterans, notable characters from franchises already represented in Smash, and characters from other franchises that could possibly end up in Smash, and by process of elimination I constructed this list of what I believe to be the most realistic possibilities for new fighters, ranked from most likely to least likely. Obviously there would be many more details in the full video if I get around to finishing it, with explanations for every potential fighter and all, but that's the gist of it, and these images kind of sum it up.

I figured this might be the last chance I get to share this before Smash is announced (presumably alongside some new fighters) and makes my video kind of obsolete before it's even done, so I just wanted to salvage what I can of it in case that actually happens, lol. (And if not, maybe I'll get some much needed motivation to finish the video if there's any interest here. =P)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I know Slime is a mascot of Dragon Quest, but if they were to make a fighter from the series, I feel they'd choose one of the playable characters.

For example Erdrick, who is one of the big names from the original games. Also has the advantage of having art for both male and female looks. Yes, I know, it's another sword user, but they could perhaps allow them to switch up weapons to reference the vocation mode that's available in some of the games.

Of course, personally, I'd want Jessica.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been (very slowly) working on a video about potential new fighters in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch, with the hopes of finishing it up before Smash Bros. is actually announced for Switch. However, I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get it completed, and since we could very well get a Smash announcement in this upcoming Direct, I might as well share this here now just in case it'll be too late after the Direct:

7GawRgo.png

MeBiN5z.png

Basically, I sifted through all cut veterans, notable characters from franchises already represented in Smash, and characters from other franchises that could possibly end up in Smash, and by process of elimination I constructed this list of what I believe to be the most realistic possibilities for new fighters, ranked from most likely to least likely. Obviously there would be many more details in the full video if I get around to finishing it, with explanations for every potential fighter and all, but that's the gist of it, and these images kind of sum it up.

I figured this might be the last chance I get to share this before Smash is announced (presumably alongside some new fighters) and makes my video kind of obsolete before it's even done, so I just wanted to salvage what I can of it in case that actually happens, lol. (And if not, maybe I'll get some much needed motivation to finish the video if there's any interest here. =P)

You left out 'Rabo Transformer'. I think that has massive potential to be the new 'meme' character. There's always one:
64 - Jigglypuff (If you weren't around at the time you have no idea how bizarre and unexpected this was)
Melee - Game & Watch (again, totally left-field)
Brawl - ROB (not as left-field as the previous two but still counts imo)
Smash 4 - Wii Fit Trainer (people forget this as she was revealed early, but the idea of putting her in the game was pretty damn out there)

Rabo Transformer fits the bill almost to a tee, as the past three have all been based around peripheral or external hardware (Game & Watch, NES Robot, Wii Balance Board)

What I mean by 'Transformer' is that his shape changes as the cardboard rearranges itself. So his basic form is the robot, but his in-air down special could be him transforming into the piano and crashing down. Etc etc.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
today's the day...

Chibi-Robo and Dillon are finally gonna get their chance to shine

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
You left out 'Rabo Transformer'. I think that has massive potential to be the new 'meme' character. There's always one:
64 - Jigglypuff (If you weren't around at the time you have no idea how bizarre and unexpected this was)
Melee - Game & Watch (again, totally left-field)
Brawl - ROB (not as left-field as the previous two but still counts imo)
Smash 4 - Wii Fit Trainer (people forget this as she was revealed early, but the idea of putting her in the game was pretty damn out there)

Rabo Transformer fits the bill almost to a tee, as the past three have all been based around peripheral or external hardware (Game & Watch, NES Robot, Wii Balance Board)

What I mean by 'Transformer' is that his shape changes as the cardboard rearranges itself. So his basic form is the robot, but his in-air down special could be him transforming into the piano and crashing down. Etc etc.
I've certainly considered that possibility, but I think Nintendo Labo is too new to really be considered for Smash at this time. Sakurai doesn't seem to like to use characters from new franchises that haven't yet been established as successful (which is why I worry about Spring Man's chances). I think a Labo fighter could work, sure, but I wouldn't ever expect it unless Smash releases later than we're expecting, after Labo has already taken off (assuming it will, but, c'mon, it will).

Also, I feel like we'll have less new fighters than usual this time around, assuming we're getting more or less an enhanced port, so type of new fighters we get this time around may not be completely in line with series tradition. For example, I don't think we'll be getting a new retro fighter this time, either. If we did, I think Takamaru is next in line, but I wouldn't expect him unless we're getting a larger number of new fighters. He'll probably just remain an Assist Trophy.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/super-smash-bros-for-switch-roster-prediction-contest.28071

If you haven't make your prediction yet then I dare y'all to make your soon as possible! :P

I love those prediction threads because it usually ends with me being "Man that's a ridiculous prediction" and then it happens (fucking bayonetta) . I've learned to just enjoy Sakurai's wild ride but I'll make mine before the direct.

I doubt a smash would be announced for this direct but if it does then YEAAH BABY, day 0 if that happens.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm not sure this is a port.

Also the trailer shadow confirmed a bunch of characters, including Bowser Jr returning (edit: maybe? Could have just been Link standing behind someone). And also looks like BotW Zelda's hair (far right, next to Kirby)

Last edited:

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this is a port.

Also the trailer shadow confirmed a bunch of characters, including Bowser Jr returning. And also looks like BotW Zelda's hair (far right, next to Kirby)

Could use the same engine as Smash switch. I feel like the game would have a short(er) Dev cycle if they had to make a brand new game, with a new engine. Also I don't want this to kill Smash 4 competitive when they could bring them over to the new game

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Namco isn't mentioned. This is being made by Nintendo and HAL.

Its name is also (Pending)

This doesn't seem to be a port. More evidence it's a new game.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I guess if Link is getting updated to his most recent game, Zelda and Ganondorf will be as well? That'll be interesting to see.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No unique logo or number, or gameplay has to be considered smash 5, hopefully link is reworked to be good now

HAL? You know that means
Wave dashing returns

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
Are we taking our rightful place as a perpetual presence in Gaming or are we stuck here in community?