• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
NOTE: For the sake of this thread, I'll only be talking about the characters who are women by default. This is to maintain consistency with the female fighters ratio thread from a while back.
Also, I'd like to thank Primethius, Biestmann, Platy, & Clov for their help on this thread (I honestly couldn't have made this without them, Primethius & Biestmann even helped with the various titles). With that said, I hope you find this thread to be insightful.

UPDATE: As of now (I.E. Byleth has been revealed but not released), the female fighters percentage has gone down to 18.75% for the defaults (worse than Smash Wii U/3DS). But in positive news, the addition of Female Byleth as an alternate costume has brought the female fighters w/ alternate costumes percentage up to 32.5%. Within this percentage, Pokémon Trainer is counted as one character, which makes things less complicated when factoring in Red & Leaf.

Switch_SuperSmashBrosUltimate_illustration_02-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a celebration of not only Nintendo games, but gaming as a whole. And in many of those regards, Smash Ultimate excels and then some. However, even as someone who loves the series to death, I'm not blind to its various faults (one of which was already covered by Primethius in his own thread). One of which is how Smash Ultimate's approach to women in the game. Considering the IPs that Sakurai & Bandai Namco has at their disposal (the war-chests known as Nintendo's stable of IPs as well as those of Capcom, Sega, Bandai Namco, Konami, & more), there's quite a bit of potential to be tapped into. But it's clear that, much like black/brown representation, this isn't taken into as much consideration as it should be (though I'd imagine that it's at least kinda considered, given Isabelle's Classic Mode run). As someone who loves the Smash series to death, here are a few things that I'd like to see improved with both Smash Ultimate (especially if character DLC support extends past the Fighters Pass) & future Smash games.

THE NUMBER OF WOMEN ON THE ROSTER

jmgI7tY.jpg

NOTE: I'll add the Byleth version of the banner when it becomes available.

As of when this thread was made, Smash Ultimate's female fighter ratio currently sits at 18.75% for characters who are female by default. By this I mean that while Inkling & Wii Fit Trainer count, the likes of Robin, Corrin, & Byleth don't (I'll get to that later set of characters, especially with regards to Corrin & Byleth). The problem with this is that, even though the number of female fighters in the roster is pretty high, the ratio is the 3rd worst percentage of any modern fighting game (worse than Smash Wii U/3DS, even). The only games that have worse percentages than Smash Ultimate are Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (a game marred with corporate meddling from Marvel Entertainment) & Dragon Ball FighterZ (a game based on a franchise that lacked in women to begin with, at least until very recently). To better illustrate my point, Biestmann was nice enough to help create the framework for the graphs below showing the breakdown for the roster with regards to gender (which I had to re-create in Excel).

Screen_Shot_2020-01-26_at_6.00.31_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2020-01-26_at_6.02.16_PM.png

NOTE: The "Other" section refers to characters who don't have a specific gender in their source game (Mewtwo) or don't have their gender specified in Smash (Jigglypuff, Incineroar, Lucario, Pichu, Greninja, Charizard, & Piranha Plant). Special thanks to Biestmann for creating the template for both of these graphs, Clov for helping us get the "Other" section correct, & Platy for helping with color selection for the graphs.

At least with the lack of black/brown characters, an argument could be made that Nintendo just doesn't have a ton of characters for Sakurai to pull from on that front. But with regards to the female fighters, there's almost no excuse considering the plethora of fan-favorites that Nintendo could pull from (Ex: Dixie Kong, Elma, Lyn, etc.). Though as mentioned in the first note section, Smash Ultimate's percentage becomes more acceptable when you factor in alternate costumes, which goes into my next point.

THE DEFAULT VARIANTS FOR GENDER-CHOICE CHARACTERS

main2.png
main2.png
main2.png

One of the reasons that Smash Ultimate's female fighter ratio is as bad as it is currently is a direct result of many of the female variants for the gender-choice characters being alternate costumes rather than the default. In fact, the only ones who are women by default are Inkling & Wii Fit Trainer (as mentioned in the previous section). At least with Robin, I can forgive him being male by default since he's the more popular variant of the character (going by the Fire Emblem Heroes poll). But I do recognize that the margin between both variants of Robin is close enough to where not many would complain if Female Robin was the default. But in this case, I'm using Corrin & Villager as prime examples of my point with regards to making more of the gender-choice characters women by default. In the case of Villager, they come from a series that's already popular with women to begin with. As much as I like the base Villager design, I see Villager as a Robin-esque situation where not many would complain if Female Villager (as shown above) was made the default. Hell, I'd argue that it'd be encouraged. As for Corrin, well, I've already gone into detail about Corrin in the past...
I don't hate Corrin as a character in Smash, & he's up there as one of the most unique Fire Emblem characters in Smash (2nd only to Robin). My main gripe is Sakurai's decision to stick with Male Corrin as the default version of the character, despite Female Corrin proving to be the more popular variant.

As mentioned before, Smash Ultimate started development shortly after Smash Wii U/3DS's DLC ended. And as such, I originally rationalized this decision as Sakurai not realizing Female Corrin's popularity until it was too late. But looking back at the reception towards Corrin, Female Corrin's popularity was made evident almost immediately. It was to the point where Intelligent Systems started to focus more on Female Corrin as time went on (she was even the default Corrin in Fire Emblem Warriors). And given the other instances of Sakurai being forward-thinking (Luigi, Yoshi, etc.), it's a bit disappointing that he didn't act fast enough regarding Female Corrin's popularity. To Sakurai & Bandai Namco's credit, the use of Female Corrin in the Classic Mode mural does kinda show that they eventually learned of her popularity. It's just that I wish that they realized it sooner, especially considering Smash Ultimate's lack of (default) female fighters.
To me, Sakurai sticking with Male Corrin as the default design feels like Sakurai pointlessly standing against the tide, even after Intelligent Systems got the memo that the fans vastly preferred Female Corrin. Female Corrin is a prime example of my argument, & it's something that I'd like to see rectified in future Smash games (should Corrin return). Most of what I said about Corrin can also extend to Byleth, whose female form enjoys more popularity by a sizable amount compared to her male counterpart. And given how most of the gender-choice characters went to the male versions as the default, going with Female Byleth as the primary version would have been a nice change of pace.

THE DESIGN & PRESENTATION OF SMASH ULTIMATE'S WOMEN

main.png
main.png

I say this as both as a point that Smash has made clear improvements to certain designs as well as the fact that some of those changes ended up not being for the best. While Female Corrin is an example of a marked improvement over her original incarnation (namely with the removal of her exposed thighs), Zero Suit Samus kind of represents both the improvements & the flaws added to her design in her time in the Smash series. As for the improvements, those changes didn't come along until Ultimate. By that I mean Zero Suit Samus better-defined muscles & reduced breast size. That's not to say that large breasts aren't a thing in the real world, but Zero Suit Samus' in Smash Wii U/3DS was to the point of sexualization (with that said, her official render pose is a fair bit sexualized with the emphasis on her breasts & butt). Likewise, given the training & genetic restructuring that Samus endured, her having more defined muscles makes perfect sense. As for the negative change, it has to be the heels. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of rocket boots to help enhance Zero Suit Samus' moveset. My problem is that they were made into heels, especially when the developers of Zero Mission clearly said to not give Samus heels.

MZMZSSE.png

While Sakurai isn't the first to screw this up, that doesn't mean that he can't set a good example going forward. He can even keep the rocket boots, just make them into regular shoes rather than heels. As for the presentation aspect, that's where Palutena comes in. And unfortunately, she has a couple of issues.

tumblr_inline_p8bratqTX61r1ad8d_540.gif
0C338F546EB0554316E50D4E9666D1C2193C503E

NOTE: While the taunt gif is from Smash Wii U/3DS, said taunt went unchanged in Smash Ultimate.

In the case of the taunt, while I understand that Palutena is a more playful kind of goddess, her doing a pole dance for one of her taunts feels out-of-place for her & just comes off as blatant sexualization. This is especially true for how Smash Wii U/3DS handled Palutena's reveal trailer which, while it didn't carry over to Ultimate, still plays into the aforementioned taunt. What makes it even weirder is that the Kid Icarus cast as a whole, Palutena included, was reimagined from the ground-up by Sakurai himself. It honestly makes me more disappointed than I normally would be, & I hope that Sakurai rights this wrong in future games (if he returns as the director). Going back to Zero Suit Samus, some of her animations are a bit questionable.

CdpZV4o.gif
zero-suit-samus-gif-5.gif

NOTE: While this animation was altered between Wii U/3DS & Ultimate, many of the problems from the original animation were carried over. I included the other Wii U/3DS gif as a point of reference.

I'd go into detail about what's wrong with this animation, but the gifs can pretty much explain everything for me. With that said, it should be noted that despite some of the particular missteps, Smash Ultimate is generally pretty good about how the ladies are handled from the standpoint of both design & presentation. Unlike some fighting games these days, Smash doesn't emphasize sex appeal with camera angles, & the E10+ rating of the game makes sure that things can't get too sexualized. My general point is that the positive changes made to the designs of Zero Suit Samus & even Female Corrin are something I'd like to see across the board (when necessary, of course), and that Sakurai & Bandai Namco should be more conscious about stuff like that as well as maintaining Sakurai's famously-high standard in terms of adhering to how the characters are in their source games from a presentation standpoint.

A LOOK TOWARDS THE FUTURE

fighterspassvol2.jpg
If we're talking about how hopeful I am for the future of a number of these things getting rectified, I wouldn't say that I'm optimistic regarding the number of female fighters going up in the near future. All of the rumors (however credible they may be) & speculation for the characters in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 seem to be centered around characters who are either guys or are male by default (granted, having female variants for the male characters is appreciated, but it doesn't help fix the existing problem all that much). This is tue for most of said speculation I've seen of characters who may be likely or are currently discussed (Ryu Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Dante, Heihachi, Phoenix Wright, Geno, etc.). If this scenario ends up coming to pass, Smash Ultimate would have a female fighter ratio of 18.292% (which would be worse than Smash Wii U/3DS), which would be disappointing given the aforementioned large stable of women that both Nintendo & their third party buddies have access to.

All of this goes back to what I said a few sections ago about Nintendo & Sakurai not taking stuff like representation of women & people of color into consideration when it comes to Smash's roster. I understand that the game is a celebration of gaming history, but it should also stand as a shining example of what gaming is & what it could be. It's part of the reason why I do these threads. It's not to rake these games over the coals, but because I love the franchises my threads focus on & want to see them do better as well as illustrate when they do things right. A common complaint I get when bringing up this topic is that "there shouldn't be forced diversity" or "gameplay should be the main factor". This is Sakurai we're talking about, the same guy who made Piranha Plant interesting. I'm sure he could make a cool moveset for various women & people of color. And either way, options exist for both (especially for women) that would bring a lot to the table. And because of that & the fact that I want this game to serve as that shining example, I as well as the other members of the Women in Smash Thread Team suggested 3 women who Nintendo & Sakurai could add to Smash Ultimate via DLC and 3 women who Sakurai could add to the next Smash game many years from now (unless there's another director, then the question is directed to them). The only limits with our requests is that these female fighters had to have originated from a video game (with one exception for one of Platy's requests, though it's a deep cut into Nintendo's history) & have been on a Nintendo console at least once (the latter is more of a courtesy than anything else). With that said, here are our personal requests...

Neoxon said:
  • Female Fighters for DLC
    • Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
      • My concern over her potential recasting in Smash aside (sorry, my Laura Bailey bias is showing, though Ashly Burch is always an option), Chun-Li is literally the First Lady of Fighting Games & is the easiest choice I could have made for the DLC section. While Street Fighter already has one unique character & one echo (so yeah, two characters overall), I feel like Street Fighter's stable of characters are both iconic (especially for the SFII cast) and ripe for Smash potential. You could probably throw in characters like Juri, Rashid, Menat, Rose, Alex, or even (Mayor) Cody in Smash and they'd all be pretty unique (though Alex may step on Incineroar's paws a bit). But Chun-Li's status as well as the fact that she's a great & empowering woman made her nearly equal to Ryu in terms of popularity, to the point where she has had perfect attendance alongside Ryu in the Versus series. That alone should be more than enough to circumvent the concern of having a third Street Fighter character. My only real concern about her inclusion was how they translate her charge moves to Smash (especially if they retain the optional SF-accurate inputs that Ryu & Ken have), but Terry's Rising Tackle put those concerns to rest. It's time that one of the most iconic women in gaming join the fight in Smash Ultimate.
    • Ring Fit Adventurer (Ring Fit Adventure)
      • One of Nintendo's recent hits in the Switch era, Ring Fit Adventurer would be a very unique addition to Smash. I know some of you think that she would probably be a Wii Fit Trainer echo, but she'd be closer to Bayonetta if anything. Her fitness-based moves with the help of Ring would do plenty to set her apart from her Balance Board-based predecessor. And if Byleth could squeeze into Vol. 1, there's room for Ring Fit Adventurer in Vol. 2.
    • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
      • Dixie Kong is quite easily one of the most overlooked Nintendo characters so far with regards to Smash. To me, I feel like she would have already gotten in if it weren't for Ultimate's focus on the Ballot (with Tropical Freeze being on both Wii U & the Switch). Just going by Tropical Freeze alone, Sakurai & Bandai Namco could craft a pretty unique moveset for Dixie Kong. Plus with regards to the Fighters Pass, there's a ton of Tropical Freeze music that they could throw into the game. Actually, the lack of new Tropical Freeze tracks is one of the things that has baffled me about Smash's soundtrack (aside from the lack of ARMS tracks, which I'll get to later). But yeah, Dixie Kong's inclusion in the Smash roster is long overdue, & I hope that happens sooner rather than later while Dixie is still relevant.
  • Female Fighters for the Next Smash Game
    • Twintelle (ARMS)
      • If Spring Man is the main character, Twintelle is one of the popular characters (up there with Min Min). While I personally don't expect any ARMS representation in Smash Ultimate via DLC, I do believe that its success will eventually lead to representation in the next Smash game (like fellow EPD franchises Pikmin & Splatoon before it). While Spring Man would be the obvious choice to add first (especially due to Sakurai's protagonists-first mentality with regards to roster selection), Twintelle would be a prime candidate for a 2nd character for the series. This is especially true since Nintendo seems to be pivoting towards Twintelle as the series' leading lady over Ribbon Girl as of recently. And even, Sakurai should probably loosen up about his "poster child first" mentality anyway. It also helps that Twintelle has her own gimmicks to set her apart from Spring Man (especially with her ability to slow down time while charging up her next set of punches). On top of that, she would help with Smash's lack of black/brown characters (which is part of the reason I went with Twintelle over my main in ARMS, Dr. Coyle), so the inclusion of Twintelle would be a slam-dunk on all fronts. And to be honest, Yabuki's ARMS team are one of the more progressive teams over at Nintendo EPD, & I'd love to see their hard work rewarded via Smash.
    • Impa (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
      • Zelda hasn't really gotten a non-Link newcomer since Melee. The way I see it, this could be due to the fact that Zelda doesn't really have a ton of recurring characters from across the series. The only ones that would fill that quota would be Impa, Pig Ganon, & Tingle. Of the three, I'd say that Impa has more than earned the chance to be in Smash. To be more specific, I'd want her Skyward Sword incarnation to be in the next Smash game (I'd say Hyrule Warriors if Koei Tecmo didn't have partial rights over that design). For one, it would add to the spread of Zelda representation that Smash is doing with the Zelda characters. On top of that, while we do have Sheik, I feel like more can be done with the Sheikah Tribe & their fighting style to where Impa could easily be set apart from Sheik (though Impa's taller & thinner stature compared to Sheik would already make her an Isabelle-esque semi-clone at worst). There's quite a bit of potential to draw upon for Impa, plus her inclusion would also help with Smash's lack of Zelda newcomers as well as Smash's lack of people of color (Twintelle would also help, as mentioned earlier, but we don't have to stop at her).
    • Monster Hunter
      • Yeah, I know, another Capcom character (& another franchise from the Capcom Big 5 at that). But in my defense, this is for the next Smash game. Plus Monster Hunter is long overdue for a playable representative in Smash given the series' history with Nintendo. As for Monster Hunter, she hails fromis one of the three remaining members of the Capcom Big 5 without a playable character (the others being Devil May Cry & the already-mentioned Resident Evil). And if Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is any indication, the female version of the Hunter would likely be the default version, hence making her fair game for my list. As for what the Monster Hunter would bring to the table, MvCI only scratched the surface on what she could do. The amount of weapons throughout the Monster Hunter series that the Hunter could use rivals that of Dante's warchest of Devil Arms (if he didn't sell most of them), so there's no real shortage of potential moves for the Monster Hunter. They could veer closer to MvCI's moveset for her, sure, but she also has a ton of potential to have a completely different moveset in Smash. Either way, I have faith that Sakurai would do the Monster Hunter justice as a playable character in Smash.
    • Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
      • I know, my 3rd Capcom character in the DLC character section. But can you blame me, Capcom has one of the biggest stable of characters in gaming (2nd only to Nintendo), so it's only natural that they take up a good chunk of my requests. Anyway, Jill is a recurring character across multiple Resident Evil games, many of which have made their appearance on Nintendo consoles, & would be a great representative. Obviously there's the clear issue with her guns, but I believe Sakurai could use her Marvel vs. Capcom 2 moveset (NOT the brainwashed version of Jill from RE5 that showed up in MvC3/UMvC3) as inspiration, which would focus more on explosives and zombie summons. And while I'd personally prefer her Resident Evil 5 BSAA outfit, I'd be more than happy with Jill getting her STARS uniform (just like what MvC2 did) or her RE3 Remake design. I originally had Jill in the DLC section, but the recent spirit event basically put her out of the running for Ultimate. And since I didn't want to scrap the work done on this section, I bent the rules a bit to include her in the next game section.

Platy said:
    • Alis (Phantasy Star)
      • The star of an 8-bit RPG, Alis was the main character of one of the most ambitious Master System games that came out only a year after Samus made her debut on Metroid, a time where women as main characters were as rare as in the mind of a gamergater today. She has a sword and a shield, but while SEGA Heroes put her focus on shield bashes and fireballs, I would focus her on the skills she first obtain, which are more defensive. Like heal, cure and chat (which works like undertale but way more hipster) so she could diferentiate from blue haired swordsmen or Erdrick.
    • Avery or Styllist (Style Savvy/Style Boutique)
      • Ideally I would choose Avery (which IS the biggest NPC in Stylle Savvy 2) because Smash needs every PoC representation it can get, but just the Styllist is good enough because since it is a player made character, it can be PoC too, even if the covers try to make the blondiest of the Alicia Silverstones. It is one of the biggest Nintendo franchises that does not have any representation besides songs on Smash (but even Tetris have songs...), with the first game on the DS almost reaching 1 million sales on japan alone. her moveset can work like a more complex version of Shulk's moveset, but instead of "jump" and "smash" you change your clothes (like 2 or 3 different specials dedicated to changing different clothing options) which change how your normal moves react.
    • Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
      • I actually hate her designs which is either "grey Zero Suit Samus" or "sexy Riddley", but it is undeniable the importance of StarCraft as a game. It is also undeniable that Zagara (the better choice) did not appear in the first Starcraft for the N64 xD. The idea of DLCs are characters that are important and that will bring people to the game while doing some awesome new possibilities for moveset and well, Kerrigan will bring half of Korea to smash with a moveset like a more complex and fast paced version of Olimar's. Ever felt the need to do a Pikmin rush? How about a Zerg Rush? ;D
    • Mini Kangaroo
      • Some history for you: When the war ended, things were so shit and destroyed that all that people had were each other. So they had sex. Lots of sex. Which means that in the following years, there were a HUGE market for children's toys. And our hero Nintendo did what any fun loving company would do: It leave luck to heavens It made lots of cool small cheap toys, but nothing as complex as a handheld water game. All these games had one thing in common, the Kangaroo at the top representing the maternal side of mother Nintendo. And not only does smash need some mothers AND some pre videogame representation but its entire moveset can reference those mini bowling plastic things, the mini pachinko, the mini puzzles, mini checkers, mini chess... They were like 50 games on this series. It has eough potential for a moveset.
    • Sami (Advance Wars)
      • Since Andy is nowhere to be found in Advance Wars Dual Strike, I think it is safe to say that Sami is more of a main character than him Also from a tactics game, she can works as a mix of Snake and Olimar, sending small cute pixelated troops to atack while performing army like moves with explosives, but slightly faster and with more range of attacks since her CO Power is double movement range. Would be cool if she had a Rachel skin.
    • Hikari (Shin Onigashima)
      • You are like "wtf platy" and I am like "dude, if you play smash you know who this girl is". You know the girl with white and red kimono with the blue caveman like boy with her that has a trophy/sticker/spirit in pratically every Smash? That girl. She comes from an adventure game, which is a unique genre for Smash. She can work like Phoenix in MvC, searching for clues that power up her other moves. And summoning the blue dude which has super strenght. She also has an appearence in Captain Rainbow and it is always a cool day when people remember Captain Rainbow exists.
  • BONUS
    • Birdo/Birdetta (Super Mario Bros 2)
      • C'mon dude, she can work like a 90% Yoshi echo she just need to trow eggs horizontally and suck King Dedede-style. Everything else can be the same. Give the LGBT crowd our pink dinosaur!

Clov said:
    • Anna (Fire Emblem)
      • It's certainly true that there's a lot of Fire Emblem characters already, and some in the Smash community hate anything even slightly related to the series... but I personally don't care about that, so here's Anna! Anna is the most recurring Fire Emblem character, a merchant appearing in every single title except for Gaiden and Echoes. She made her playable debut in Awakening as a Trickster class unit, and appears as one of the main protagonists in Fire Emblem Heroes, Nintendo's most successful mobile title. Drawing on her appearance in Heroes, Anna could be primarily an axe user, with access to bows and staves based on her appearances in Awakening and Fates. She could also take from her background as a merchant to inspire some of her special moves. Anna would easily set herself apart from the other Fire Emblem characters; as a well known face that appeals to both fans of old and new Fire Emblem titles, Anna deserves a spot on the roster.
    • Lip (Panel de Pon)
      • Even I'll admit that this is the biggest long shot on my list, but hear me out. The star of the SNES puzzle game Panel de Pon, Lip and her friends were deemed too girly by NoA, which caused her game to be reskinned as Tetris Attack for the West. Ever since then, NoA's curtailed the fairies' appearances in the West, causing her to be virtually unknown outside of Japan. Yet despite her lack of international success, Lip is a character that's constantly remained as a presence in Nintendo's titles without fading away completely. Among other things, she had a hidden mode in Pokemon Puzzle Challenge on GBC, played a supporting role in Captain Rainbow, and had an unlockable costume for doing well in Animal Crossing New Leaf's Puzzle League minigame. More than her own universe's titles, Lip could represent the Panel de Pon/Puzzle League series as whole (which have had several overseas releases). She could have moves that correspond to Puzzle League's in-game combos and chains, as well as sending garbage blocks to crush her opponents. With SSBU already referencing Lip through her Spirit and Mii costume, now would be a great time to reintroduce her character to a wider audience.
    • Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
      • One of my favorite incarnations of Zelda, and one who almost made the cut in Brawl if those "Toon Zelda" and "Toon Sheik" files are anything to go by. I feel like she wasn't entirely done justice in her own games, ultimately ending up sidelined in both Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. Smash could be her chance to really shine, with an array of moves inspired by her pirate background. She could also utilize the Light Arrows she uses in the final boss fight of Wind Waker. Given how prevelent the Zelda titles featuring Wind Waker's art style have been, having a second "toon" character just makes sense, and Tetra's the best option for it.
    • Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
      • One of Nintendo's earliest female protagonists (predating Samus by two years!), Bubbles would make a great retro pick for the next game. As the player character in both Clu Clu Land and its sequel, Vs Clu Clu Land/Clu Clu Land D, she presents a bit of a challenge in terms of how she would work as a fighter; in her game, Bubbles must always move forward, and can only change direction by grabbing posts to pivot. Even Sakurai couldn't figure out how she would fight when she was briefly considered for Melee. Yet it's been a long time since then; we've seen him change his mind on characters like Villager, and he even made a full moveset for something as basic as a Piranha Plant. I think it's safe to say that he could figure Bubbles out. She could be a fast character who could slam into enemies for her smash attacks, while utilizing her sound waves as ranged moves. After bringing back the Ice Climbers and the Duck Hunt dog as playable characters, Bubbles would be a fun choice that would further diversify the gender balance on the roster.
    • Octoling (Splatoon 2)
      • Splatoon has become one of Nintendo's most successful new franchises in a short amount of time. With Splatoon 2 being one of the Switch's evergreen titles, it's plain to see that the series deserves multiple characters in Smash. While the games feature a variety of interesting characters, my top choice has to be the Octolings. Originating as rival enemies in the first game, Octolings became the main playable character in Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion. They're capable of doing anything the Inklings can do, which might lead one to think that they'd be best left as alternate costumes or echoes... but there's a lot of weapons that the Inklings in Smash Bros don't use that could give the Octolings a unique moveset. Not to mention that basing their default appearance on Octo Expansion's Agent 8 would add a much needed PoC to the roster. The Octolings were one of my most wanted characters, and while they may not have made the cut this time around, next time's a different story!
    • Pauline (Super Mario Odyssey, Donkey Kong)
      • Making a recent comeback in Super Mario Odyssey, Pauline is more than just a damsel in distress these days. Asides from her appearance as the mayor of New Donk City, she's also become a playable character in Mario Tennis Aces; a good sign that Nintendo plans to keep her around for future Mario titles and spin-offs, just like Rosalina before her. Perhaps she could utilize some sort of music based attacks, or even have attacks referencing the original Donkey Kong arcade game (barrels or oil drums as projectiles of some sort). She could even reference mechanics from Odyssey, similar to how some of Rosalina's moves referenced Galaxy. Her roots give her character the historical weight that many other Mario characters lack, while staying relevant in current titles. I'd love to see how Sakurai could make her into an interesting fighter in the next Smash Bros entry.

NOTE: Primethius doesn't have a preference as to his request being added as DLC or in a future Smash title.
Primethius said:
  • Titania (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)
    • PoR features many of my favorite FE characters, but Titania has to be near the top. An excellent design, a prepromoted unit that's always useful, a good character and she wields an axe to boot. Despite her being a far fetched dream as far as additions go, I think she would add so much to the Smash roster, both from a design perspective, as well as how she plays given the plethora of sword based characters already in Smash. She would also open the roster up to more intersting echoes and alternative skins that just don't fit the current roster.

NOTE: Like Primethius, Biestmann doesn't have a preference as to the following being added as DLC or in a future Smash title.
Biestmann said:
  • Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
    • Dare I say the most popular of all Xenoblade characters, and strangely yet to be introduced to the franchise. Perhaps due to the admittedly meager sales of the Wii U, Xenoblade Chronicles X shaped up to be an entry easily forgotten by the public. Yet it is rare to meet someone that has played this game and is not singing praise of Elma. While she doesn't take the role of the main character, she might as well be. Strong and confident, Elma always has her eyes set on her mission. In an age where moe and pleads for onii-chan are increasingly common, Elma remains a breath of fresh air. Her reception as DLC in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was nothing short of euphoria, showing that fan demand is certainly there. So do it, Nintendo! Just don't use her awful true appearance, please. Don't.
  • Off the Hook (Splatoon 2)
    • That's right, I am suggesting popular inkling and octoling duo Pearl and Marina! Making their first appearance in the sequel to the original Splatoon, they have since replaced the Squid Sisters as the hosts of Inkopolis News. Choke-full of personality, these two still work best when together. And while Inkling is a playable already, and Pearl and Marina respectively would make easy echo fighters for her, I say they shall not be seperated. Utilize their music to add a unique spin to their combat style, and I think you have a winner. Much like the team behind ARMS, the young Splatoon devs have shown that they are the progressive push Nintendo sorely needed, and I think that ought to be rewarded.
  • Urbosa (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
    • The Gerudo Champion Urbosa makes her first appearance in the beloved Breath of the Wild. Her impressive stature may give a first glimpse into her combat prowess, and indeed she is a remarkably strong fighter. Utilizing her Scimitar of the Seven and Daybreaker shield, she becomes a nigh unstoppable force on the battle field, roasting foes in a flash with what came to be known as Urbosa's Fury. Not only is Urbosa a strong fighter, however, but also a calm and confident leader, and it was this combination that made her an instant favorite of mine. I think Urbosa has a lot to bring to the table as a representative of the new cast introduced in Breath of the Wild. Her amazing fighting style aside, how many ripped women of color do you know in gaming?

NOTE: A.By is the newest member of our team. And as such, I wanted to give her the opportunity to give her picks.
A.By said:
    • Carmen Sandiego (Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?)
      • Who else could I include in this list besides perhaps one of the most notable female video game characters ever made? Carmen Sandiego is not only an awesome female character, she's a villain and a woman of color to boot. She just ticks off so many boxes. Despite being a villain however, she's not portrayed in a way that represents her negatively. Her games (and TV shows) portray her as caring about honor and "the challenge," not really dealing with malicious acts as much.
    • Tap Trial Girl (Rhythm Heaven)
      • A lot of people like to bring up the Chorus Kids (meh) and Wrestler & Reporter (yay). For me, I see the most merit in Tap Trial Girl, She appears throughout the series, both in her own levels (Tap Trial usually) as well as in menus and on cover arts, such as multiple soundtracks. On top of all this, she is a lot more adaptable to the game's design. Chorus Kids sing, Wrestler flexes (and wrestlers I guess), but Tap Trial Girl, besides tap dancing, could do a lot more as she's not so rigidly defined.
    • Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
      • There's some weird aversion to Lara Croft being in Smash I've found. This is due I think to a combination of factors, most notably her guns (which is no longer an issue – thanks Joker!) and her being a "PlayStation character." The latter is quite silly itself, as it has no merit. Lara Croft has been a presence on Nintendo platforms as early as 2000 (GBC) and as recent as 2008 (Wii). She has had nearly a dozen releases, and a number of them being mainline to boot. So with more Nintendo presence than the likes of Joker, and with no gun issues, it's time for one of the biggest female video game characters ever made to be given a chance to shine.
    • Ashley (WarioWare Inc.)
      • Wario's in a weird position right now, but Ashley's held strong through it. A combination of being essentially the secondary mascot of the Nintendo Badge Arcade, 3DS themes, and a big fan favorite from the series. Plus, she's freaking adorable. She would fill the much-needed "witch" niche in Smash, and her moveset would do quite well. Imagine all of the fun things you can do with a potion-maker!
    • Midna (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
      • Undeniably a one-off character, but one whose popularity has been sustained through the years. Multiple appearances in Hyrule Warriors (both as Imp Midna and Twili Midna), appearing in all Smash titles from Brawl to present, the co-star of Twilight Princess as well as its namesake. She has some popularity within the Smash community, and would make for an interesting moveset as well with her goofy hand.
    • Medusa (Kid Icarus)
      • Medusa may have not had the most roles, and her most recent role was markedly less prominent than her first, but she is one of Nintendo's oldest villains and definitely deserves in (especially over Viridi and Hades). A female villain, one that isn't just a clone like Dark Samus, would be fantastic. Plus, a Final Smash consisting of turning into her monster form would be snazzy af.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter, so feel free to make your opinions on the top heard. And once again, I'd like to thank the Women in Smash Thread Team for making this thread possible. You all are amazing & I can't thank any of you enough for helping me with this thread.

Last edited:

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Great OP Neoxon, agree with all your points.

Titania is such a great design and goes to show how sexualized and "anime" Fire Emblem has gotten over the years when you compare her to someone like Camilla.

390px-FERD_Titania.png

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Elma would be a good start to lessen the gap between female and male representation.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm assuming you counted Pikachu for both.

You can do that for Pichu
pichu6.jpg

The Spiky-eared Pichu is a female exclusive variant introduced in Heart Gold & Soul Silver and used here

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

pichu6.jpg

The Spiky-eared Pichu is a female exclusive variant introduced in Heart Gold & Soul Silver and used here
I think most people would be more concerned with representations of, you know, women that aren't small animals.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

pichu6.jpg

As mentioned in the OP, only default variants count towards the percentages in this case. Because Pikachu's gender can clearly be seen via its tail, Pikachu is counted amongst the guys. Concerning Pichu, while Pichu has a female variant, said Pichu is a specific one & its spiky ear isn't a common gender distinction. Normal Pichus don't have a way to tell their gender at a glance like Pikachu. As such, Pichu is in the "Other" category.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I don't think the Mother series has a real chance of getting a 3rd protagonist without a new game or at least a mother 3 port

....and saddly we all know the chances of a mother 3 port.

pichu6.jpg

While what neoxon said, Pichu is counted in the "Analyzing the percentage of female fighters in the rosters of the current batch of fighting games" thread if you want a difference count (it chances the percent from 19% to 32%)

I think most people would be more concerned with representations of, you know, women that aren't small animals.

Actually different body types are very prefered. The ideal would be variations like tall, muscular, fat and others but if the game has male animals, why not female animals ?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A great addition would be:

Savvy Stylist from Nintendo's Style Boutique series
look-girls1.png

And for third parties:

Lara Croft from Tomb Raider
0c4555d8-abae-4e36-8a0a-0f49ec59d380.jpeg

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I definitely feel like this is overly nitpicky
Ratios are fun but I think it's pretty unfair to not point out the sheer number of characters in the game in the first place. And I don't see why you disregard alt costumes. Most people change their characters costume if they like it
I'll give you that Corrin would be better as a female default though
And palutena is absolutely perfect as is. How is that taunt anything but charming, playful and a perfect goddamn taunt? Zss has the rocket boots for designs purposes, to emphasize one of her main weapons on an otherwise not exciting design. Are heels too suggestive now?
There definitely should be more women though, I just feel the arguments you made were pretty biased and disappointing
My wish list is as such:
1. Haruka Amami
2. Kos-mos
3. Professor Layton with Katrielle Layton alt
4. Dixie Kong

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the thread. I don't really agree on every point (Like ZSS gun shot animation), but the entire post is well thought out and presented well. Good job OP.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario has a lot of choices. They wont get in of course and arent my first choice tbh if people like banjo or sora would be possible.

Just pointing out that old PM games had good varied parties...sigh

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
It would be great if Sakurai considered to swap - at least - Villager and Corrin's default skin to their female counterpart.
That'd be quite easy to do actually, right?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Anna doesn't even have an Alt in Fire Emblem Heroes. Sadly, IS' seemingly doesn't care about her.

Great thread as always, Neoxon.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I definitely feel like this is overly nitpicky
Ratios are fun but I think it's pretty unfair to not point out the sheer number of characters in the game in the first place. And I don't see why you disregard alt costumes. Most people change their characters costume if they like it
I'll give you that Corrin would be better as a female default though
And palutena is absolutely perfect as is. How is that taunt anything but charming, playful and a perfect goddamn taunt? Zss has the rocket boots for designs purposes, to emphasize one of her main weapons on an otherwise not exciting design. Are heels too suggestive now?
There definitely should be more women though, I just feel the arguments you made were pretty biased and disappointing
My wish list is as such:
1. Haruka Amami
2. Kos-mos
3. Professor Layton with Katrielle Layton alt
4. Dixie Kong
I don't mind the rocket boots, I'm actually a fan of the concept. But making them heels was a bit unnecessary. As for the decision to only go with default designs in the percentages, they're the ones that are used in marketing. And with a select few exceptions, alternate costumes rarely get Amiibos. Plus it's only fair since that ratio was meant to be compared with other fighting games with varying roster sizes (see the linked thread in the OP).

Oct 29, 2017
Among Nintendo's pantheon (and indeed third parties), their options for lead female characters is unfortunately quite limited...

They do have options for side characters (Dixie Kong is an incredibly obvious candidate; and her absence is baffling), but even here, there are more male choices available; so the results would still have a natural skew towards male characters.

There's no way that they'd pick Lara Croft over Erdrick or Crono for example. They are just much more popular choices with a lot more importance within Nintendo's history. And if Rex can't get into Smash, then Elma has no chance whatsoever.

I wouldn't say that Smash's choices are sexist per-say, so much as that its roster reflects gaming's history as a whole; which is unfortunately pretty sexist.

There's no excuse for ZSS' portrayal though. She is not supposed to have high heels. Even her Metroid Other M portrayal explicitly avoids high heels!

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I think your "female by default" rule is disingenuous and makes it seem like there's a problem where there isn't one. You say that you're doing this to stay consistent with your other thread, but this doesn't make sense because Smash is unique in how it handles alternate costumes/color palettes. There are very few other fighting games where an alternate costume literally becomes another character and costumes that change the character's gender are even more rare, yet this is a common occurrence in Smash.

I'm not saying Smash doesn't need more female reps (would love to see Chun Li, and Twintelle making it in over Spring Man in the future) but the way you present the issue (Smash has the worst m/f ratio according to your arbitrary restrictions) makes it hard to take the general premise seriously.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I think your "female by default" rule is disingenuous and makes it seem like there's a problem where there isn't one. You say that you're doing this to stay consistent with your other thread, but this doesn't make sense because Smash is unique in how it handles alternate costumes/color palettes. There are very few other fighting games where an alternate costume literally becomes another character and costumes that change the character's gender are even more rare, yet this is a common occurrence in Smash.

I'm not saying Smash doesn't need more female reps (would love to see Chun Li, and Twintelle making it in over Spring Man in the future) but the way you present the issue (Smash has the worst m/f ratio according to your arbitrary restrictions) makes it hard to take the argument seriously.

The character design used within marketing is the only one that matters. That's the variant that gets all of the representation; which is what this thread is about.

Literally nobody gives a toss about Male Wii Fit Trainer. That character might as well be female only.

QBComics

Oct 25, 2017
Jill Valentine, Chun-Li, Dixie Kong, Twintelle, and another female rep for an all-female fighters pass would be incredible.

2B pls

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dixie and Jill can rectify the biggest issue with female representation in Smash(which is the fact that they weren't included in the first place).

Seriously though, I'm glad Sakurai & Co made a ton of improvements but they still have a ways to go. Marketing yourselves as a kid friendly company and then putting in weird sexualizations kind of alienates people.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The thing I find weirdest about Female Corrin is that she appears in the Classic Mode mural while Male Corrin doesn't. This happens with no other character. It makes me wonder if Female Corrin was planned as the default at one point before being changed back.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Din_Farore_Nayru.png

The Zelda characters I want most after Urbosa

The characters I want most after Twintelle, Sami, and Urbosa

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Those are not high heels; it's a one piece suit. It's hardly any different to her representation in Zero Mission...

main.png

THOSE are high heels!
What? How are those not high heels? If's not even comparable to her zero mission or brawl look. Her ankles are like a foot off the ground. The smash 4 look is a slight improvement because the heels have a purpose.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What? How are those not high heels? If's not even comparable to her zero mission or brawl look. Her ankles are like a foot off the ground. The smash 4 look is a slight improvement because the heels have a purpose.
They're technically wedges, not high heels. Can't say if that's better.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a really good chance one of the DLC characters is female like how we got Bayonetta last time. Don't know who it will be, but there's a good selection of them from Capcom then other's like 2B or Lara Croft.

I want Dixie Kong the most of any female character. Other ones from Nintendo I think could show up in the next game are Toadette, the Octolings, and either Ribbon Girl or Twintelle.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The problem with wanting more female representation in Smash is that the series prioritizes main protagonists, who, generally speaking, tend to be male. If ARMS gets a rep someday, we all know it's 100% going to be Springman, maybe with Ribbon Girl as an alt or echo, if Xenoblade 2 gets a rep, it's going to be Rex with Pyra/Mythra supporting him.

I can't really think of any female characters who could realistically show up in the Fighter Pass tbh. If Joker can make it, maybe 2B can too (which would be awesome btw) but I feel like there's not a whole lot of other reasonable options out there, unfortunately.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
As for the decision to only go with default designs in the percentages, they're the ones that are used in marketing. And with a select few exceptions, alternate costumes rarely get Amiibos. Plus it's only fair since that ratio was meant to be compared with other fighting games with varying roster sizes (see the linked thread in the OP).
Edit: the exceptions are Corrin, (ROB,) and somehow Bayonetta and Cloud
corrin-cloud-bayo-rob-amiibo.png

So currently it's very limited.
Since alt costumes don't require any unlock, I think it's really just down to a grid placement decision that could go either way for some characters, but... I can see how it can affect the rest of the marketing.

----
Orig:
An interesting comparison is that Bayonetta for example got two Smash-branded amiibo, one for each of her costume (one for each of her games).
This means that they do take in account the availability of non-Smash Amiibo when designing Smash amiibo.

And they still haven't made amiibo of every Smash character yet (still in development after all this time, 10 new character amiibo "coming soon", more characters to go). So I wonder if more alternates are planned down the line (Pokémon trainer, presumably, after LGPE brought back Green in the limelight).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The thing I find weirdest about Female Corrin is that she appears in the Classic Mode mural while Male Corrin doesn't. This happens with no other character. It makes me wonder if Female Corrin was planned as the default at one point before being changed back.
If anything, I feel like it's proof that the artist for the mural realized that Female Corrin was more popular & used her instead, but it was too late to change anything for the base game. Either that or Intelligent Systems asked the Smash team to use her in the mural since Sakurai mentioned how he had to consult each developer for approval on the mural.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
My wish list is as such:
1. Haruka Amami
This poster knows what's up. Ticks all the boxes - reps a genre of game not seen in Smash yet (Rhythm), is from a third party already on board (can't get any more on board than Bamco), her series is highly popular and finally she is the face of the franchise.

hb7dWuU.jpg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take tacky and also functional instead of straight up trying to look like a stripper with no purpose.
I don't think you find many strippers in wedges instead of stilettos.

Regardless, there's no reason her rocket shoes had to be heels in Smash. You're not making a choice between practicality and tackiness.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'll take tacky and also functional instead of straight up trying to look like a stripper with no purpose.
Honestly i feel Zero Suit Samus was a mistake, good idea, bad execution not only makes Samus look copy pasted every single game they even find ways to make her look sexier and Samus shouldn't be (only) about that.
Though Samus still rocks in the Prime Hunters ending.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Regardless, there's no reason her rocket shoes had to be heels in Smash. You're not making a choice between practicality and tackiness.
Her heels are actually used in a move. I'd prefer them to not be there at all, but they originate in other m, so it goes on sakamoto/team ninja.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

Haha are you serious? The "wedges vs heels" distinction is meaningless since they serve the same purpose. And the rocket shoes were deliberately a design decision, but it doesn't make them any better or worse. It's the same as the gaudy "wedges" and yes, I have seen a stripper in wedges.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Her heels are actually used in a move. I'd prefer them to not be there at all, but they originate in other m, so it goes on sakamoto/team ninja.
If you're going to blame Other M's wedges for Sakurai slapping glowing stilettos on Samus, you should blame Zero Mission for putting her in Oxfords in the first place.

All of these are design decisions, not necessities. There's no reason to decide Samus needs rocket shoes, but they have to be heels. You can't compare them favorably because Sakurai made them rockets because there is no reason whatsoever for them to be heels in the first place.

(Especially when she's shorter than she should be even in those heels. At least if she were wearing flats it wouldn't be as glaring)

but it doesn't make them any better or worse.

They're technically wedges, not high heels. Can't say if that's better.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
I only want dixie and impa(she could be very unique), I don't want a third character from the same franchise if they are 3rd party, too bad most of the popular female character are boring or too sexualize.

Maybe a savvy stylist could work, but i don't like the artstyle too much...

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The Animal Crossing movie used the female Villager as the main character which honestly surprised me. It would be nice for Smash to follow suit.