• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What new character should they add to Smash?

• Goku

Votes: 467 34.0%
  • Anyone but Goku

Votes: 908 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai wrote about the game this week in Famitsu, talking about World of Light's inspiration, how the series has transcended its "Nintendo All-Stars" moniker, and more.

Regarding the series' "Nintendo All-Stars" moniker: Sakurai believes that the series has evolved beyond that. In his definition, Sakurai believes the series is defined by its gameplay, and that it being just another 1v1 fighting game would make it no longer Smash.

Between this remark, as well as Reggie's insistence that the Joker DLC is indicative of the strategy Nintendo will be following with the Smash Fighters Pass, it's pretty clear Nintendo is now looking to expand the inclusion of third party characters in Smash. I guess Super Smash Bros. Melee was the last time that Smash would be "Nintendo's All Stars".

SOURCE

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Add Crash, Lara Croft, Dante and Spyro, just humilliate PS All stars

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Still videogames All-stars. No pop eye vs Goku please.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Good. The Nintendo side of the roster doesn't have enough untapped potential to make more compelling entries on its own.

It absolutely does, Nintendo still has bar none the best 1st party characters overall.

3rd party is mainly for fanservice which is what the series seems to be embracing strongly.

The idea that they do not have enough on their own is hilariously shortsighted. Don't mistake their ambition for a lack of creative resources or properties. 3rd party brings the hype for sure though.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
His time is now

Screen_Shot_2018_06_06_at_9.28.55_AM.0.png

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I want an Arms rep just as much as anyone (Twintelle please) but there just aren't that many big Nintendo characters left. They'll mostly have to be based on new franchises from this point, especially if Nintendo will do more than one season pass.
Arms hasn't earned it yet imo. Maybe if it gets a well received sequel.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Also now smash threads will have an influx of people who think western third parties are owed anything, but tbf Crash would be actual hype

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's "Nintendo All-Stars + a few guests from major Japanese gaming companies with deep Nintendo ties"

I'm 100% sure that the remaining four Fighter Pack characters will not change this.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I want an Arms rep just as much as anyone (Twintelle please) but there just aren't that many big Nintendo characters left. They'll mostly have to be based on new franchises from this point, especially if Nintendo will do more than one season pass.
I pretty much accepted that Spring Man's Assist Trophy as the kiss of death for any & all playable ARMS representation for the duration of Smash Ultimate's life. I suppose there's always the next Smash game, but it's a shame that the series will miss out on the biggest Smash roster ever.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. There is no scenario where I would prefer another Xenoblade rep over a huge third-party get, and I beat Xenoblade 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly preferred the roster selections to go deeper and deeper into Nintendo's properties, both at the extreme ends of the Famicom/arcade/Hanafuda eras and their most recent output; but the inclusion of some true obscurities in Spirits, with the full and loving attention of the designers, is not the worst compromise in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.