• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What new character should they add to Smash?

• Goku

Votes: 467 34.0%
  • Anyone but Goku

Votes: 908 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
People say Erdrick from DQ3 is the next fighter apparently. If he gets in they better use his NES design because his SNES design is some actual trash

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was really surprised by the numbers of Spirits from Ubisoft and other 3rd parties. Legit surprised

Unless I remember wrong: Wasn't it just Rayman out of Ubi's stable? There were a few more Rayman-related trophies in Smash Wii U though. It also makes sense since Nintendo publishes Rayman games in Japan.

Shovel Knight and Shantae make a lot of sense as well - they're very popular indie games, and Yacht Club and Nintendo are on really good terms (evidenced by the fact Shovel Knight has a full series of 4 amiibos, and Yacht Club's request of the chips of these amiibo not getting blocked by the boxes being honoured), and I'm sure that WayForward's desire to be in Smash also helped along the way. Not to mention that they're both quite successful titles, Shovel Knight a lot more so, which is also why he got into the game as AT.

If anything, I'm surprised that Commander Video didn't make a return as spirit, and Rayman is the only spirit out of that set.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Its a shame we probably won't get either a retro revival pick (Ice Climbers, Pit, Duck Hunt), or an off-the-wall deep cut (Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit). I'm not counting Piranha Plant here since it isn't a clever revival of an old or obscure property, it is just a random trash mob.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its a shame we probably won't get either a retro revival pick (Ice Climbers, Pit, Duck Hunt), or an off-the-wall deep cut (Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit). I'm not counting Piranha Plant here since it isn't a clever revival of an old or obscure property, it is just a random trash mob.

Is Wii Fit really a deep cut when it was one of the best selling titles on the Wii?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
It's a deep cut since it's the one major mario enemy I can think of that hasn't been playable in a game yet

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean, such picks are better used for the base roster.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Oct 26, 2017
But can it transcend the medium? I think not. ;D
ohyou.jpg

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Agreed, I guess my comment isn't about the DLC in particular and more just about the general lack of such a newcomer in Ultimate generally.
Fair enough, but I can understand why they focused on the Ballot considering how many resources were used to bring everyone back.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
It'd be so awesome if they added more third party characters, and even cooler if they added characters from outside of gaming in general.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
It's the only logical solution for selling add-on content. Loyalists already own the game and bought the season pass. This thing is going to sell like crazy to platform owners and precious franchise fans; combine those insights, you have a content strategy focused on broadening the fan base, and mixing up the gameplay formula with wildly different playing heroes.

No ones buying a fighter pass for a playable Blooper, not is that anything more than a wink and nod to the converted. And they are giving us Petey Pirhana for that anyway

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean outside of maybe Ryu from Ninja gaiden, what iconic 1st party remain?

Ninja Gaiden is Koei Tecmo, not 1st party.

Within the context of inclusion as a Smash fighter, I would say yes.

I mean, it was unexpected, sure. But deep cut? I dunno about that - I'd lean more towards calling her off the wall.
Either way, I definitely think Piranha Plant is off the wall, too, mainly because it, is not only unexpected like Wii Fit Trainer, but it also promises to be completely unique with its body shape and how it moves and attacks, bringing something entirely unique to the roster, similar to Game & Watch or Duck Hunt do. This is very much in the same vein as them, even though it might not be a full-on retro callback (and truth be told, Game & Watch games kept being released before Melee, and ROB has made plentiful cameos shortly before Brawl, so not even like... complete revivals, and Duck Hunt has left so much of an impression on pop culture that it stayed in people's collective memory).

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'm okay with third party characters, but I feel they should require that the characters must be in a game that's been on a Nintendo console.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only logical solution for selling add-on content. Loyalists already own the game and bought the season pass. This thing is going to sell like crazy to platform owners and precious franchise fans; combine those insights, you have a content strategy focused on broadening the fan base, and mixing up the gameplay formula with wildly different playing heroes.

No ones buying a fighter pass for a playable Blooper, not is that anything more than a wink and nod to the converted. And they are giving us Petey Pirhana for that anyway
I know Petey is the final smash.

But Piranha Plant And Petey are two different characters. Yeah I know, but it does slight bug me when people refer to Piranha Plant as Petey lol

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it makes sense. Think about the Nintendo catalogue of characters. Think of how many of them people would actually jump to buy as DLC.

Nintendo has basically gone through most of their core cast of characters, leaving more obscure characters, which, while they might be cult classics, would not really generate the hype gained from putting Cloud, Ryu, Sonic, Snake, Joker, etc. into Smash Brothers.

Nothing wrong with this, it's just obvious. :)

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean it makes sense. Think about the Nintendo catalogue of characters. Think of how many of them people would actually jump to buy as DLC.

Nintendo has basically gone through most of their core cast of characters, leaving more obscure characters, which, while they might be cult classics, would not really generate the hype gained from putting Cloud, Ryu, Sonic, Snake, Joker, etc. into Smash Brothers.

Nothing wrong with this, it's just obvious. :)
*points at Rex*

I'm okay with third party characters, but I feel they should require that the characters must be in a game that's been on a Nintendo console.
That still holds true even now.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Does ARMS have the kiss of death because of Spring Man's assist trophy? I found it odd that there isn't a single ARMS music track in the game. Even Wonderful 101 got that in the Wii U Smash Bros.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Harry from Teleroboxer should have taken Piranha Plant's place. We would finally get Virtual Boy representation, and it would be a complete off-the-wall pick for Smash fans.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Does ARMS have the kiss of death because of Spring Man's assist trophy? I found it odd that there isn't a single ARMS music track in the game. Even Wonderful 101 got that in the Wii U Smash Bros.
Yup, & it breaks my heart as an ARMS fan. Thankfully, ARMS will probably get a sequel on the next system, so it'll get another chance in the next Smash game.

Twintelle coming in hot
Like I said before, if the main character can't get in, nobody from the franchise will.

bad poster

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
i just think if you're going to have all those fire emblem characters you might as well have 20 different colored mortal kombat ninjas

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, & it breaks my heart as an ARMS fan. Thankfully, ARMS will probably get a sequel on the next system, so it'll get another chance in the next Smash game.

Like I said before, if the main character can't get in, nobody will.
I'm so glad you are here to remind us of this incessantly

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's Nintendo All-Stars because only Nintendo has the prestige to assemble these characters in a respectful manner. If there was another Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Nintendo would be third after Disney and Warner Bros and yet be on an equal level.

Gimme dat sweet Mario vs Mickey Mouse vs Bugs Bunny action

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish that the bar for third party characters would remain high. All-time iconic characters only, like PAC-MAN, Ryu, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake, Cloud, etc. I feel like Bayonetta lowered the bar a lot but sort of gets a pass because she is kind of a Nintendo character now. But Joker is a bridge too far for me, I don't think he meets any of the criteria for inclusion.
This is basically my exact feeling on the matter. Even Snake and Cloud were huge stretches for me because they are not associated with Nintendo at all.

I'm a huge fan since SSB64 and have probably put more time into SSB than any other series, and I don't care anything for random third party characters and am holding off on the Fighter Pass until something more my taste shows up. If the DLC ends up being a base-broadening exercise full of Sony associated 3rd party characters like Joker (especially considering that the Newcomer count in the base game is so anemic), count me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.