• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What new character should they add to Smash?

• Goku

Votes: 467 34.0%
  • Anyone but Goku

Votes: 908 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd really like to see someone from Overwatch or World of Warcraft, but I know Blizzard is very stingy with their IP liscencing so I'm not holding my breath.

Blizzard is in bed with Nintendo, with the Ganondorf cosmetic in d3 Switch, anything is possible and I can honestly see Tracer as a candidate.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck xenoblade (the latest one). Those character designs are fucking awful.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ryu Hayabusa should be dominating this discussion. Ninja Gaiden is amazing and deserves representation in Smash.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'd fucking die for Goemon and Ebisumaru but they have to be among the least relevant characters I could think of. They are basically ROB-tier fringe picks that'd have a chance in the wtf category but that time has so long passed. I think they'd have had the biggest chance to get in back in Melee but they weren't doing 3rd party back then.

Also it's very funny to me thinking there's a big Goku button sitting on Sakurai's desk and he has either already pressed it or never will.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
THIS. The Halo series has so much amazing music and history. It would be a great honor for the character and a big deal for fans to see him join Smash. I would be over the moon about it!
Microsoft's biggest franchise has no place in a Nintendo crossover. No way is that happening.

OP's title is incredibly misleading. Sakurai is saying that the series has become defined by its gameplay, not as its status as a crossover game.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm trace back to the original and.... Sakurai didn't say it.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201812/17169087.html?page=3
ā€•ā€•"ćƒ‹ćƒ³ćƒ†ćƒ³ćƒ‰ć‚¦ć‚Ŗćƒ¼ćƒ«ć‚¹ć‚æćƒ¼"ćØć„ć†åå‰ćŒć¤ć„ć¦ć„ćŸć€Žć‚¹ćƒžćƒ–ćƒ©ć€ć‚‚ć€ć‚‚ćÆć‚„ä»»å¤©å ‚ć«ē•™ć¾ć‚‰ćŖ恄态恄悍恄悍ćŖę„å‘³ć§ć®ć‚Ŗćƒ¼ćƒ«ć‚¹ć‚æćƒ¼ć«ćŖć£ć¦ćć¾ć—ćŸć€‚ę”œäŗ•ć•ć‚“恮ćŖć‹ć§ć€ć€Œć“ć‚ŒćŒć‚ć‚Œć°ć€Žć‚¹ćƒžćƒ–ćƒ©ć€ć ć€ćØć„ć†ć€å®šē¾©ć®ć‚ˆć†ćŖć‚‚ć®ćŒć‚ć‚Œć°ćŠčžćć—ćŸć„ć®ć§ć™ćŒć€‚

ę”œäŗ• 定ē¾©ćÆā€¦ā€¦ćØćć«ćŖ恄恧恙恭ļ¼ˆē¬‘ļ¼‰ć€‚č“„ē©ćƒ€ćƒ”ćƒ¼ć‚øć‚’ć‚„ć‚ćŸć‚‰ć€Žć‚¹ćƒžćƒ–ćƒ©ć€ć˜ć‚ƒćŖ恄恋ćØ恄恆ćØć€ä½“åŠ›ęˆ¦ć‚‚ć‚ć‚‹ć—ć€ćć†ć§ćÆćŖ恄ćØę€ć†ć‚“ć§ć™ć‚ˆć­ć€‚ć‚¹ćƒžćƒƒć‚·ćƒ„å…„åŠ›ć‚’ć‚„ć‚ćŸć‚‰ć€Žć‚¹ćƒžćƒ–ćƒ©ć€ć˜ć‚ƒćŖ恄恋ćØ恄恆ćØ态恝悌悂違恆恧恗悇恆恗怂
恠恋悉恩恔悉恋ćØ恄恆ćØć€ć²ćØć¤ć²ćØ恤恮ē“°ć‹ć„恓ćØ恧ćÆćŖćć¦ć€ćƒ—ćƒ¬ć‚¤ćƒ•ć‚£ćƒ¼ćƒ«ć®å•é”Œć‹ćŖ态ćØćÆćŖ悓ćØćŖćę€ć£ć¦ć„ć¾ć™ć€‚ćŸćØ恈恰恓悌恌1on1恗恋恧恍ćŖ恄åÆ¾ęˆ¦ę ¼é—˜ć€ćµć¤ć†ć®ę ¼é—˜ć‚²ćƒ¼ćƒ ć«ćŖć£ćŸćŖ悉态恝悌ćÆć€Žć‚¹ćƒžćƒ–ćƒ©ć€ć˜ć‚ƒćŖ恄ćØčØ€ćˆć‚‹ćØę€ć„ć¾ć™ćŒć€‚

That pharse is from interviewer in regret of how massive smash bros is.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Ryu Hayabusa should be dominating this discussion. Ninja Gaiden is amazing and deserves representation in Smash.

Now that Simon Belmont is in which I predicted would be since the history with NES was strong, I feel ninja gaiden is prob next up when it comes to strong nes games with a still popular character. The wildcard would be luke skywalker since Nintendo has the very popular super Star Wars series with snes and Luke will be very relevant going into 2019 with Star Wars episode 9. Geno is on the list but further down in my opinion. Still some classic and more popular Nintendo franchise characters in front of him Layton, Waluigi, even chrono or crash in front of geno

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Give the people (me) what they (I) want!

0b6a468a8fddec624bcd502f30dad5b8eeb9915dv2_hq.jpg

010TheForgotten(3).png

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Though large fan bases dont alwayd help

Like with ashley, dixie kong, or any zelda characters
While we are working in what-if and so i cannot offer concrete proof, with the amount of thing the earthbound community did on starnet over the 23 years since that game released, i have no doubt they would have pushed it harder then we have seen for characters like dixie and ashley.
Heck, there's a reason why the "give us mother 3" meme was referenced by Nintendo during a official e3 presentation once.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo has lot of characters left that could be added. Beyond series that aren't already represented, the series that are already in the game could stand to have more reps, especially villains. Ideally every series would have at least 1 hero and 1 villain where reasonable/applicable.
Fuck xenoblade (the latest one). Those character designs are fucking awful.
They're fine; and Smash would improve them. Make the boobs less silly and you're gold.

XC2 is a great success and a great game and absolutely deserves representation. Rex as a playable character, a stage so Xenoblade series has a stage that doesn't suck, and all that sweet XC2 music that the Game Awards doesn't know exists.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It absolutely is big enough, or at the very least was big enough. Granted Joker does fill the SMT slot already being an Atlus rep in general, but I think if we didn't Joker we would probably get Jack Frost or Demi-Fiend.
Agree to disagree then. SMT is way below the threshold of what i personally consider big enough to warrant a third party Smash slot.

Drain You

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
My dream would be to see a character from Killer7 but Travis makes much more sense but I still think it is unlikely. I had all sorts of ideas of who they might throw in as DLC but after the Piranha Plant and then the Persona character announcement I've realized I've got no fucking clue who is next.

My guesses would probably all end up being my personal fanboy choices and not based on how the character would actually play out. Add Mondo Zappa, Leon S. Kennedy, Vincent Brooks, or Ada Wong. Thanks.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cause they don't have long range machinegun as primary and only weapon without any other abilities other than dashing.

So, with non fighting character he can be open and creative about how it can fight.

But with first person shooter character that has only dashes as ability how can she fight in smash?

Tracer don't got any long range guns

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I need more sega characters in Smash...how about a Daytona Hornet, Gillus Thunderhead from Golden Axe, Axel from streets of rage, vectorman, NiGHTS, the rider from Panzer Dragoon, etc etc

It should be Solaire. He's even got an Amiibo!!

Shovel knight is the 1st 3rd party Amiibo and he's only an assist.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's biggest franchise has no place in a Nintendo crossover. No way is that happening.

OP's title is incredibly misleading. Sakurai is saying that the series has become defined by its gameplay, not as its status as a crossover game.
I don't see why either side would be against it. It's be a big score both ways. Spencer already said he's all for Banjo and Kazooie so why not do one better?

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Good on Sakurai for not including Goku.

For all those asking for him, what would you want?
Put aside how out of place he would be, what makes Goku Goku is how ridiculously overpowered he'd have to be to be faithful to that character.
DB is defined by its outrageous feats of strength and speed, if he is not stupidly faster and stronger than the rest of the cast than it would not feel like Goku.

If you do, you have made the rest of the roster obselete.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I don't see why either side would be against it. It's be a big score both ways. Spencer already said he's all for Banjo and Kazooie so why not do one better?
Because Smash Bros has always been for Nintendo characters with third party guests from franchises with Nintendo history. Cloud and Joker all fall under that umbrella as well, thanks to Final Fantasy and SMT.

A character that has been and will always be 100% Microsoft exclusive has no place in NINTENDO'S fighting game crossover.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know why I want goku at this point, but I do. I dont even have the game and I want him. Hell, I dont even own a switch but I want him.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Put aside how out of place he would be, what makes Goku Goku is how ridiculously overpowered he'd have to be to be faithful to that character.
DB is defined by its outrageous feats of strength and speed, if he is not stupidly faster and stronger than the rest of the cast than it would not feel like Goku.

Now THIS... This is bait. Excellent work.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Kid Goku from Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure. Done.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Poll option should be:

Anyone (who originated in a video game) but Goku

I like that it is a celebration of video games and the type of creative characters found within the medium. I'd like it to stay that way.

Other than that, go wild Sakurai

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see
Arthur from Ghouls and Ghosts
Shinobi
Alis Landale from Phantasy Star
Bonk

If the Erdrick rumor is true, Phantasy Star will be the last of the big three JRPGs that pretty much shaped the genre moving forward, each releasing in about a year and some change of each other in 86/87. It'd be amazing to have them all together. Megaten would also be a part of that console era, so even better with Joker already in.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
If we're not getting a playable Master Hand than at least give us

Glover_Nintendo_64_cover_art%2Cjpg.jpg

.... I just want Banjo
or Mumbo.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I want Western characters. Lara Croft, Prince of Persia, Rayman. Sorry to say but those are way, way more iconic than Joker or Corrin.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Lmao at Goku. Dudes in 500 other fighters anyway, no point him taking a spot for a more unique character.

I'd rather have another generic Mario enemy than boring Goku.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
H'aanit or Primrose from Octopath would be unreeeal (as long as H'aanit drops her ridiculous middle English affectation šŸ˜Œ)

Status
Not open for further replies.