• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Nintendo has filed a new set of trademarks for multiple games, including Super Smash Bros. The news comes to us via Japanese Nintendo, which points out that additional trademarks have been filed for multiple amiibo, The Legend of Zelda, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing. This won't come as a surprise to anyone, really, since we knew that Nintendo was going to be making a Smash Bros. for the Nintendo Switch, but it does serve as a tantalizing teaser for those of us who have been waiting to hear something, anything, about the next installment.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/13/super-smash-bros-trademark-nintendo-switch/

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
Oooh, all aboard the hype train!!! Nintendo gonna be dropping pineapple chunk loads on our faces next year with games and announcements!

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[REMOVED]

I'm not ready for the next Smash Pre-release Hype cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I wonder if it's Smash 5 or Sm4sh for Switch. And in either case, I wonder the degree to which Sakurai's involved.

AurabIade

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait for the killings following the announcement of the demo being available only to those whogot the e-mail with the download code

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Smash on Switch is inevitable, but hopefully this means that we'll get Smash news next year.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe it's already been 3 years since Smash 4...Now the speculation begins about whether it's an entirely new Smash or a Smash 4 DX type thing.

STGHMAAV

Oct 26, 2017
How many times the "SMASH SWITCH IS REAL" has started?
Don't get my wrong, I want the Switch version so bad, the WiiU version is the only reason I still play with my WiiU, but we've been many times on that train by now.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if the sources are right and Nintendo really wants to ship 25-30 M units for the next fiscal year then they better start dropping the software bombs. Smash is one of these bombs.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that Nintendo will reléase a Smash Deluxe for next year, they know that a new entry will sell millions

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to just copy and paste the entire first paragraph of the article, at least put quotes around it.

That said, this is probably for a Deluxe version of Smash 4, yeah? Seems a little early for a completely new installment.

QuantumBro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already confirmed after they added gamecube support to switch. Anyway, they better include Pickle Rick or I'm passing.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This better be Smash 5. Smash 4 port would just be embarrassing at this point.
Agreed. The lazy Mario Kart 8 port was only acceptable given it was near the console's launch. I'm expecting a full-featured new game at this point, otherwise Nintendo are abusing the trust of the loyal Wii U Owners.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The animal crossing direct didn't had a smash trailer
The Xenoblade 2 direct didn't had a smash trailer
NOW ARE YOU SAYING THERE WILL BE A SMASH TRAILER SOMEDAY ???

When is the next direct ? maybe a Kirby direct ? That is where Master Hand originated, right ?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Well....they arent producing +25m Switches next year for fun.
Agreed. The lazy Mario Kart 8 port was only acceptable given it was near the console's launch. I'm expecting a full-featured new game at this point, otherwise Nintendo are abusing the trust of the loyal Wii U Owners.
Nothing about MK8D is lazy...ist the best MK product they ever released.

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Smash Bros. was not the only trademark filed by Nintendo according to Japanese Nintendo (which Comicbook got the info from, btw.)...
Nintendo Co., Ltd. have applied for a number of new videogame related image trademarks including two amiibo, two The Legend of Zelda, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Super Smash Bros.
g1of82yieja3.png

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/167397863114

Smash Switch is inevitable but this is not really THE indicator SMash Deluxe is happening

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing about MK8D is lazy...ist the best MK product they ever released.

It's a great game, I played it for 200+ hours on the Wii U. However, the Switch is now a console which doesn't have a unique Mario Kart title. That is unprecedented since the franchise launched. That's what I meant by lazy; if you are a loyal Nintendo fan, the only Mario Kart you were offered was a game you played already for many, many hours. Who knows if we'll see a genuine Switch Mario Kart 9.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely surprised. Assuming it comes out Fall 2018, it'll have been four years since 3DS/Wii U Smash. This would also be a major title in keeping up Switch momentum in 2018.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I hope the amount of time from announcement to launch is pretty short. While I love all of the behind-the-scenes stuff Sakurai does, I want a new Smash as soon as possible.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, I played it for 200+ hours on the Wii U. However, the Switch is now a console which doesn't have a unique Mario Kart title. That is unprecedented since the franchise launched. That's what I meant by lazy; if you are a loyal Nintendo fan, the only Mario Kart you were offered was a game you played already for many, many hours. Who knows if we'll see a genuine Switch Mario Kart 9.

yeah maybe don't use the word "lazy", not a good look. the lazy dev thing shouldn't ever be an actual criticism of a game.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The animal crossing direct didn't had a smash trailer
The Xenoblade 2 direct didn't had a smash trailer
NOW ARE YOU SAYING THERE WILL BE A SMASH TRAILER SOMEDAY ???

When is the next direct ? maybe a Kirby direct ? That is where Master Hand originated, right ?

January Direct is traditionally a meaty one.