• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dixie, K. Rool and Captain Toad are the last "old" A-list Nintendo characters yet to be in Smash. If Sakurai decided the roster in their late 2015 or early 2016, than Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad were among the most recent releases...and K. Rool likely did well in the ballot.

Captain Toad first appeared in Super Mario Galaxy, which was released in 2007. How is he an "old" character?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
"Krystal is sexualized and creepy" is still an odd argument to keep her out of Smash when Bayonetta got in.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Friend Cybersai, I appreciate your desire for our long deserved DK reps and the good Captain Toad, but I fear you may set yourself up for disappointment* with this constant need for reassurance in their arrival, unfortunately all we can do is wait and hope papa sakurai saw all the comments about "boy this DKC stuff is pretty barebones" alongside the "give us a hazard toggle!" ones.

*source: myself hoping for Dixie and/or Rool for the last two smash games

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Friend Cybersai, I appreciate your desire for our long deserved DK reps and the good Captain Toad, but I fear you may set yourself up for disappointment* with this constant need for reassurance in their arrival, unfortunately all we can do is wait and hope papa sakurai saw all the comments about "boy this DKC stuff is pretty barebones" alongside the "give us a hazard toggle!" ones.

*source: myself hoping for Dixie and/or Rool for the last two smash games

I get the feeling, I suffered through "The Great Ridley trauma of 2014" when Smash Wii-U came out. We were so sure he'd get in that time, many of us had mental breakdowns back then.

But this time around I'm confident Dixie and K. Rool will make it in. If Ridley got in, now is this time.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Toad is right on the cusp of "modern" and "established." I think. The fact he's kind of a reestablishment of the original "Red Toad" pushes him into old school for me.

Dixie, for me, are the last major Nintendo characters not playable in Smash. And even Toad I'm not so sure on.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
In the context of Smash? Not really. We still haven't gotten an SNES rep as our "Retro" character yet.

NES characters are always retro because that's what people think of, and Sakurai is 40+ years old so he grew up with the NES in his childhood.

SNES reps would obviously be Dixie and K. Rool now anyway, so there's your reps. 2007 is literally 11 years ago, some people here were only kids when Mario Galaxy came out. I mean I was already over 20 at the time, but even I consider it old.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Falco is the one guy from any shonen anime who is on the same side as the hero but also cooler than him in literally every way.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Krystal is sexualized and creepy" is still an odd argument to keep her out of Smash when Bayonetta got in.

That's not the argument I made though. I just said that the particular cutscene is creepy, which it undeniably is.
My argument is that she's a terrible character who doesn't have nearly as much importance to the series as Falco does (since we were talking about who between the two should have been in as the supporting character to Fox).

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Besides DK and Captain Toad, I do think Zelda is REALLY due for a new rep. And not just another variation of Link.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think we should discuss Nintendo eras based on who was President of the company at the time.

Yamauchi for Retro. This takes us from before they entered the video game industry to the launch of the Gameboy Advance and the Gamecube.

Iwata for Recent. Most of the Gamecube and GBA up to the 3DS and Wii U.

Kimishima/Furukawa for Modern.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling, I suffered through "The Great Ridley trauma of 2014" when Smash Wii-U came out. We were so sure he'd get in that time, many of us had mental breakdowns back then.

But this time around I'm confident Dixie and K. Rool will make it in. If Ridley got in, now is this time.
I want to believe, I really do.
On paper the combo of following up on the ballot (for K.Rool) and games of relevance in the project plan timeframe (Tropical Freeze which ultimately missed Smash 4's only getting a sprinkle of its early content dipped in as trophies/music) should mean good things.

I guess though I'm taking Sakurai's "don't expect too many newcomers" at a low value in which case we'd be lucky to get one of the pair. not that they have much else to pluck from at this point mind you.
Ridley is a good first step though, he was always right behind those two for me.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He is still a huge icon, and should have made it into Melee. He got his own game, DKC2, his own racing game, Diddy Kong Racing, and returned in DK64 whereas Dixie did not.
Apparently, there was some issue including Rare characters back when Rare still existed. I think there was a message Sakurai posted answering fan questions in the original SSB side where he outright said that Rare characters were out of reach.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'm partial to CD-i Link. Call him "Weird Link". Do a parody of the Ridley video with all three Links walking across the Bridge of Eldin. Then he takes them out one by one, and then BOTW Link sighs and turns around. Then Weird Link crashes through, twirling a Waluigi hat with a troll face.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a new Zelda rep but after getting young Link back and the changes to Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf I just don't see it happening.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think a Hilda echo might happen due to some other details (obvious color skipped, Zelda's personality is more cheery than in the original games, which could work to contrast with her). An unique character does seem extremely unlikely though.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Diddy was in Mario Kart and a lot of the Mario Sports games at the time.
Double Dash, Mushroomt Tour, World Tour, Power Tennis, Mario Hoops, super baseball (with dixie!)
There were the 3 GBA ports of the DKC games, too

and he was in some other stuff lined up for 2007 like his racing remake, strikers charged (surprisinglny not in the first one) and so on

Compared with his other DKC co-stars he did pretty well for himself

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Either Impa or Skull Kid/Majora's Mask are most likely. Probably just Impa because Skull Kid would have to be all new.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think a Hilda echo might happen due to some other details (obvious color skipped, Zelda's personality is more cheery than in the original games, which could work to contrast with her). An unique character does seem extremely unlikely though.
Anything's possible, but I'm not inclined to think we'll get a lot of echo characters that just appeared in one game. Yes, that was true for Dark Pit and (at the time) Lucina, but both of them were alt costumes that they gave a little boost to late in development, not added with the intention of them being echos.

Granted all we have to go off of is Daisy being the only new echo right now, but still.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
If we were to get a new Zelda rep I would want Ravio.

A Ravio alt colour would actually work really well with the Tunic of the Wild. The Smash Wii U textures in that style don't quite fit due to the TP tunic, but the new version would suit it quite well, with a striped undershirt to fit the scarf's colour scheme.

I guess it could happen, but compared to other candidates Hilda seems really minor for even an echo - you could compare her to Dark Pit, but the latter was a more prominent playable character, and being in only one game is less of a factor in Kid Icarus compared to Zelda. Daisy by comparison has a long history of being the derivative Peach clone, and while Dark Samus is also pretty insignificant in the scheme of things, she at least got to be a trilogy antagonist with 2.5 final boss appearances.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A shame the Hyrule Warriors original characters are probably no gos. Characters like Linkle and Lana seem like they would be so much fun.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
imo the most ideal scenario would have been Midna, Tingle and Impa as Sheik clone, but the former is definitely out, and Tingle doesn't seem very likely either. Impa's still on the cards tho - especially with the change to Sheik's final smash, changing it from something Zelda-specific to something that any Sheikah warrior could use.

Shame Hilda is quite unlikely though.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a Japanese player and running into discussions where folks are like "this character isn't relevant in the west, therefore they won't make it in"

Basically the reverse of the "x character isn't relevant in Japan" discussions we run into

Also damn, we're basically the reason why Takamaru and Ayumi Tachibana aren't in Smash Bros

Really makes you think

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
We need a new Zelda rep who isn't just another variation of Link or Zelda. Remember even Toon Zelda was considered for Brawl but Sakurai cut her.

We need a NEW character.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, what's the latest rumors? Something about an "Ihman" dude saying stuff?

lol, Birdie will be pleased, Tower of Smash still is fooling people, and we're already on the next Smash. :P

Actually, I based my leak off Spainkiller's, not the other way around---I thought his claim about the four extra characters sounded legit so I worked it into a more elaborate leak.

That could still be true for all I know.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
A shame the Hyrule Warriors original characters are probably no gos. Characters like Linkle and Lana seem like they would be so much fun.

The most important piece of content from Hyrule Warriors is legally okay to use, however - Toon Link's Niko recolour.

latest

...A shame they didn't go ahead and do it.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need any Zelda character.

Zelda has 3 main characters and has 6 characters in Smash Bros already. It's completely fine.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Dixie, K. Rool and Captain Toad are the last "old" A-list Nintendo characters yet to be in Smash. If Sakurai decided the roster in their late 2015 or early 2016, than Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad were among the most recent releases...and K. Rool likely did well in the ballot.
Sure. Means they've got a decent chance, but they're not at all guaranteed. A the same time, you're right that Toad is an A-lister even now, and Dixie can be argued too. K. Rool though isn't anymore. But it's true he possibly did well on the ballot.

Honestly, while getting 2 DK characters makes sense, I legit expect only one.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to expect Lana or Linkle are playable, but I'll be disappointed if none of the Hyrule Warriors OCs make it into the game as at least trophies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being a Japanese player and running into discussions where folks are like "this character isn't relevant in the west, therefore they won't make it in"

Basically the reverse of the "x character isn't relevant in Japan" discussions we run into

Also damn, we're basically the reason why Takamaru and Ayumi Tachibana aren't in Smash Bros

Really makes you think

They got Fire Emblem in the game before the franchise left Japan and hit it big. And they got Lucas.

We did get Little Mac (and possibly Ridley) as a trade-off.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is that they're co-owned by Koei, so it's basically third party.

We've had third party trophies before and Nintendo have a good relationship with Koei. It's just a matter of whether Sakuari wants to go through all the legal work for a few trophies and maybe an assist trophy and music. And I hope he does because HW music would be rad.

Oct 28, 2017
He is still a huge icon, and should have made it into Melee. He got his own game, DKC2, his own racing game, Diddy Kong Racing, and returned in DK64 whereas Dixie did not.
I'm surprised we never saw Diddy Kong on any planned or scrapped character lists for Melee. Maybe being a Rare creation combined with the rapid development of Melee put him on the backburner.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And doesn't have anything that resembles a consistent look.

Hyrule Warriors has the best Impa and would be the only Impa worth putting in the game as she actually fights rather than just saying she can, then proceeding to disappear for the rest of the game or barely being able to hold Girahim off for a minute

and thus would not happen.

i can;t see her getting in

Status
Not open for further replies.