• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if they're actually co-owned, or fully owned by Nintendo? Just because the team created them, doesn't mean they have rights to the design. It's like Sora being fully owned by Disney i.e.

We don't really know their ownership

and i do not think it matters who owns them in this case

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Impa's really only a prominent character in Skyward Sword, the most forgettable of the 3D console Zelda games. She doesn't do much in OOT, and she's a feeble old woman everywhere else. She just doesn't feel like a necessary Smash Bros. character to me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Means they've got a decent chance, but they're not at all guaranteed. A the same time, you're right that Toad is an A-lister even now, and Dixie can be argued too. K. Rool though isn't anymore. But it's true he possibly did well on the ballot.

Honestly, while getting 2 DK characters makes sense, I legit expect only one.
Only one, unless it's K.rool and a dixie echo. Like Ridley and a dark samus echo.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hypothetically, what would be the issue with sticking in SS Impa with ninja and sword attacks

It's not like she won't fit in with the other Zelda characters, and not having any moves hasn't stopped Sakurai before

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, it at least got a release, Punch-Out!! Wii by Next Level Games got released in Japan two months after North America.
Nintendo is a japanese company, so it doesn't tells much.

Smash 4's choices were clearly aimed at the west (Little Mac, Duck Hunt, even the third party choices), while japanese fan favorites didn't get in.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if they're actually co-owned, or fully owned by Nintendo? Just because the team created them, doesn't mean they have rights to the design. It's like Sora being fully owned by Disney i.e.

Both Nintendo and Koei are listed as copyright holders for Hyrule Warriors, without any annotation about Nintendo owning the characters unlike Pokemon.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Smash 4's choices were clearly aimed at the west (Little Mac, Duck Hunt, even the third party choices), while japanese fan favorites didn't get in.
Little mac was the only blatant one. Duck hunt sort of, but that was the retro character. Wouldn't Rosalina, palutena, the FE characters, and greninja all be japanese ones?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't most japanese people not even know who little mac was?
Sure, but Punch-Out!! isn't remembered in Japan like it is in the west. Before Punch-Out!! on Wii, the most notable appearance by Little Mac in Japan was in Captain Rainbow, where he was a joke (like everything else in the game).

maxresdefault.jpg

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Little mac was the only blatant one. Duck hunt sort of, but that was the retro character. Wouldn't Rosalina, palutena, the FE characters, and greninja all be japanese ones?
Geninja so far as I know was never a top requested character like, anywhere, and I'm not sure on the other FE characters but the overall Japanese reaction to Corrin was just as much of a "Why" as everywhere else. In fact, Corrin's inclusion seems to have more to do with advertising Fates' upcoming (at the time) release in the West than it being for the Japanese audience (Fates had been out for months there by the time of his reveal).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They're just more worldwide ones. Although all of those games actually sold more in the West than Japan by itself.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really? Duck Hunt is a retro pick, but very western aimed, even more when there are several Famicom characters more requested. All these other characters are popular everywhere.

I remember people translated japanese comments before about the roster picks and their complaints:

If they're gonna add new characters, someone like Jibanyan or a squid would've been a more exciting choice, I think. But FF7 is REALLY popular with foreigners, so it's probably an attempt to appeal to them.

You should at least accept that Cloud's in the game mostly for foreign gamers. The fact he's in the game shows that your opinions mean almost nothing anyway.

If they're gonna put Cloud in there, I think they should really put in popular characters from Famicom and Super Famicom games that were pillars of those systems.

From: https://legendsoflocalization.com/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-cloud-in-super-smash-bros/

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018

Oh, I'm not denying that, it's just that I think it might be harder to do the whole Marth and Roy thing (Lucas too, but he is connected to Earthbound, which had Ness already), than to use some less popular picks that still got releases. Believe me, I think the more obscure picks can renew interest in franchises and would always encourage it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Rosalina is a major Mario character that's stuck around long after the Galaxy series, and given that Sakurai worked on Kid Icarus: Uprising, he could have easily had his own interest in including Palutena. Especially since the game goes to the effort of continuing Palutena's Uprising-style trolling with her guidance conversations.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu readers ranked Final Fantasy VII as the second best game of all time in 2006 and as the sixth best game of all time just last year, so Japanese gamers definitely like Cloud too.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu readers ranked Final Fantasy VII as the second best game of all time in 2006 and as the sixth best game of all time just last year, so Japanese gamers definitely like Cloud too.
The article says that most people liked him, but some fans there had a recurring thing saying Sakurai had a western bias with Smash 4 picks (they made the same comments for Greninja).

Also, liking a character =/= wanting him in Smash. I like several third party characters and I don't want them in Smash.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Only one, unless it's K.rool and a dixie echo. Like Ridley and a dark samus echo.
Sure, but that's operating under the assumption Dark Samus it definitely going to be an echo, when nothing proves that it is (though it doesn't mean it isn't unlikely however since there is some circumstantial evidence that could suggest Dark Samus will be an echo). Regardless, I can't assume something that isn't really confirmed or guaranteed, but yeah, in the event Dixie were to become an echo I could see K. Rool get in. I don't see her being an echo, but it's possible. I'm just expecting only one DK newcomer.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Broke: Ridley is never getting in.

Woke: Smash Ultimate will have so many new Metroid reps (Ridley, Dark Samus, Sylux, Anthony Higgs, SA-X, Federation Force Trooper, MB, that Armstrong Houston asshole from that Nintendo Power comic) that people will complain even more than they do about Fire Emblem representation.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword rules and Impa is great in it

but if she couldn't get into Smash pre-BotW, she's not getting in now

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword rules and Impa is great in it

but if she couldn't get into Smash pre-BotW, she's not getting in now
Agreed. SS is great and Impa is cool, but she isn't high priority at all being mostly a minor character and only she and Tingle (disliked by people here) are the other recurring characters in Zelda.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So any hope for Bowser, Donkey and Diddy having their regular voices have been dashed?

Yep, it's pretty clear Sakurai isn't budging. It's actually interesting how some teams embrace Smash bros (like Kirby going on to implement some of the Smash redesigns and Fire Emblem Fates outright referencing Smash Bros as a parallel world when using the Amiibo characters, as well as not giving Marth his shield in modern appearances) while others ignore it completely.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I still laugh that people were trying to pass that Hyrule Warriors Impa concept art off as BotW art of young Impa.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people have been talking about Cappy.

But I wouldn't close the book on it yet. Due to Mii being there, and maybe there being custom moves. I could easily see it being a Side B.
we'll see.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people have been talking about Cappy.

But I wouldn't close the book on it yet. Due to Mii being there, and maybe there being custom moves. I could easily see it being a Side B.
we'll see.

We know that there aren't custom moves though. That was confirmed after the presentation. The Miis are still a question mark (since they've been seen using multiple customs and the video said nothing about merging their specials unlike Palutena), but we probably won't see anyone else with them.

SaikyoBro

Oct 26, 2017
I tend to lump Impa in with Captain Toad and Bandana Dee in that there are just way too many characters that they'd prioritize first (to be fair Captain Toad at least stands out as having his own games). Obviously Smash 4's newcomers focused heavily on characters from brand new games and characters from unrepresented franchises and it's not hard to understand why Sakurai is keen on taking that direction these days - if you're putting budget and man-power into creating a newcomer from scratch, then the majority of the time you'd want it to be a character who's going to do something to broaden the audience (I remember tons of Mega Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy and Bayonetta fans turning their heads when their characters were confirmed for Smash). I think anyone who's desperately hoping for these kinds of recurring side characters to be added is pretty much guaranteed to be buying the game regardless.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I tend to lump Impa in with Captain Toad and Bandana Dee in that there are just way too many characters that they'd prioritize first (to be fair Captain Toad at least stands out as having his own games). Obviously Smash 4's newcomers focused heavily on characters from brand new games and characters from unrepresented franchises and it's not hard to understand why Sakurai is keen on taking that direction these days - if you're putting budget and man-power into creating a newcomer from scratch, then the majority of the time you'd want it to be a character who's going to do something to broaden the audience (I remember tons of Mega Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy and Bayonetta fans turning their heads when their characters were confirmed for Smash). I think anyone who's desperately hoping for these kinds of recurring side characters to be added is pretty much guaranteed to be buying the game regardless.
I can understand what you're thinking. By that logic, Sakurai would only be adding third party characters. As it stands, the roster casts a pretty wide net across multiple genres. Maybe the rhythm game genre isn't really covered yet (& we came close to getting one with the Rhythm Heaven rep in Smash Wii U/3DS) and maybe fighting games (outside of Street Fighter), but we have a ton of genres already covered in Smash.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
We know that there aren't custom moves though. That was confirmed after the presentation. The Miis are still a question mark (since they've been seen using multiple customs and the video said nothing about merging their specials unlike Palutena), but we probably won't see anyone else with them.

Oh it was? In the treehouse or...?

RIP Custom Moves, 2014-2014

They Sucked
uh why?

the way they were unlocked was too long.
But the moves themselves were fine.

Reminds of the whole "more options is bad" you see on Era....

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Impa's really only a prominent character in Skyward Sword, the most forgettable of the 3D console Zelda games. She doesn't do much in OOT, and she's a feeble old woman everywhere else. She just doesn't feel like a necessary Smash Bros. character to me.
Skyward Sword is an amazing game with great dungeons and some of the strongest story and characters in the series.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand why you could get repeat custom moves. Getting a custom move at all was already a crapshoot because they were in the "customization" umbrella alongside EVERYTHING ELSE, so the fact you could just have the game shrug and give you a ton of repeats was just awful.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention not having a good way of setting them up before a fight.

Just kinda slapdash all around.
yeah, needed a simple menu in the character slect screen to choose your customs.

the implementation of them was horrible.
But that should make people want better implementation, not remove the concept.

plus the DLC characters from last game need some customs.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Remember how you couldn't transfer over your save from the 3DS to Wii U so you had to obtain both custom moves and characters again... Man that was bullshit.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The moves themselves were certainly not "fine". They were just awkward janky variations of regular moves that were often poorly designed and poorly balanced.

Part of the appeal of Smash is seeing all these characters show up and reference stuff from their games in their movesets. Mega Man and Palutena were fine in this regard because their customs were actually based on shit from their respective games, but who honestly wants to see Donkey Kong suddenly have airbending powers or Mario throwing fireballs straight forward?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Custom moves summarised
- Fast version of move
- Slow version of move
- Silly version of move

Unless you were Mega Man, Palutena and maaaaaaybe Samus.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
The moves themselves were certainly not "fine". They were just awkward janky variations of regular moves that were often poorly designed and poorly balanced.
yep

they're kind of fun to play around with for a few minutes, but I'd much rather have seen that energy go to, say, turning Alph into a separate character

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

Part of the appeal of Smash is seeing all these characters show up and reference stuff from their games in their movesets. Mega Man and Palutena were fine in this regard because their customs were actually based on shit from their respective games, but who honestly wants to see Donkey Kong suddenly have airbending powers or Mario throwing fireballs straight forward?
There's so many examples of characters having attacks that don't reference anything from their games in their base movesets, haha.

Execution was terrible, but not really because they weren't always references.

Status
Not open for further replies.