• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Fuck it im gonna ride it until then end.

q1pOqem.gif

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll probably be saved the next Smash game if I had to guess......if the game sells well. Betting on an unproven new IP seems like a risky move, especially with regards to DLC. What if it bombs like The Wonderful 101 did (*knocks on wood*)?
I feel like this has a much better chance.

It's not on the Wii U and has an asthetic that's probably more palatable for a wider audience.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They'll probably be saved the next Smash game if I had to guess......if the game sells well. Betting on an unproven new IP seems like a risky move, especially with regards to DLC. What if it bombs like The Wonderful 101 did (*knocks on wood*)?

I doubt it'll bomb like W101. The Switch being in the position it is in comparison to the Wii U should hopefully prevent such a thing.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I feel like this has a much better chance.

It's not on the Wii U and has an asthetic that's probably more palatable for a wider audience.
I doubt it'll bomb like W101. The Switch being in the position it is in comparison to the Wii U should hopefully prevent such a thing.
I hope you guys are right, I really do. I refuse to let another cool-looking Nintendo/PlatinumGames IP fail.

Either way, I'd imagine that Nintendo wouldn't want to risk it until after the game proves itself (I know this is more of Sakurai's approach to new IPs, but I'd imagine that W101's failure warrants a bit of caution). Even then, since I'm not expecting a Season 2, I'd probably put Astral Chain in line for Smash 6/7 representation should it succeed.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you guys are right, I really do. I refuse to let another cool-looking Nintendo/PlatinumGames IP fail.

Either way, I'd imagine that Nintendo wouldn't want to risk it until after the game proves itself (I know this is more of Sakurai's approach to new IPs, but I'd imagine that W101's failure warrants a bit of caution). Even then, since I'm not expecting a Season 2, I'd probably put Astral Chain in line for Smash 6/7 representation should it succeed.
For what it's worth in all the direct reactions I've watched Astral Chain seems to get a positive reaction. I think it's gonna resonate with people.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It still hurts...... ;_;

Astral Chain better succeed! I will move Heaven & Earth to make sure the game is sells. It cannot suffer the same fate as The Wonderful 101.
At least Astral chain looks more appealing to the general audience and it's on switch. I don't see it bombing.

Might be a surprise hit. And if it does gain Nier Automata fame, it might help it get into smash.

Side note: Links Awakening remake, maybe Zelda character for smash DLC. (Okay I just really want Marin

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'm with you. I was really excited by the Astral Chain reveal, and I hope the game does well critically and commercially.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least Astral chain looks more appealing to the general audience and it's on switch. I don't see it bombing.

Might be a surprise hit. And if it does gain Nier Automata fame, it might help it get into smash.

Side note: Links Awakening remake, maybe Zelda character for smash DLC. (Okay I just really want Marin
I just want Marin to make a comeback period.(and no I don't count Malon.)
MiserableGrimAlleycat-max-1mb.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm with you. I was really excited by the Astral Chain reveal, and I hope the game does well critically and commercially.
All we can do now is give Nintendo & PlatinumGames our money and hope that the game does well both critically & commercially.

Yeah, it might help it get into the next Smash game. I just feel like after the failure of The Wonderful 101, Nintendo may take a Sakurai-esque approach with regards to Astral Chain in Smash (I.E. the wait-&-see-if-it-succeeds approach).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Marin is such a boring Link's Awakening rep.

My dream Hyrule Warriors character that never happened was the Shadow Nightmares, and my idea for them could easily be adapted into Smash.

When moving around, they would be represented by this basic blob shape
$

but each attack would cause the nightmare to morph into a Zelda enemy or boss from the entirety of the series (like it does during the final boss fight in Link's Awakening). You can represent the wide range and variety of all of the Zelda enemies through one obscure pick.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I'm expecting Astral Chain to have the same noteworthy niche appeal on the level of Nier Automata, Persona 5, and Xenoblade 2 have. Seems alot of people like what they see and if Nintendo plays their cards right could be a decent size IP on the level of Xenoblade

Swagachu

Mar 4, 2019
I have some predictions of my own.
1. Cuphead with Mugman Alts (Cuphead Series)
2. Roll (Mega Man) (Echo Fighter)
3. Guile (Street Fighter)
4. X (Mega Man X)
5. Crash Banicoor (Crash Bandicoot Series)

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Assuming the two we know/think as being reps from Sega and Square, it follows the other three could be Konami, Capcom, and Nintendo reps.

I'm going to say:
Goemon
Mike Haggar
New FE character or pokemon

Dec 12, 2017
I think Banjo is definitely going to be in.

It would be nice to get a Sony 1st party rep too but who the hell would they choose? The Sony characters are good but they don't make for good smash characters in the way that Banjo does.

Dec 12, 2017
The only problem Doom Slayer faces is his lack of relevance in Japan.

I think I've already said this in another thread, but the main problem with doomslayer for me is that he very explicitly uses guns that take ammunition.

Bombs and other explosives are okay in Smash and that's how Snake gets away with being in the game, he isn't using his .45 and straight up icing people. Bayonetta's are more akin to real pistols, but there's a very intangible difference in what she does vs what Doomslayer does.

IDK I just can't imagine Doomslayer being in smash alongside Isabelle.