• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
My guesses:
Dragon Quest XI Hero
Steve (Minecraft)
Scorpion (MK11 is coming to Switch)
Navi (Fun wtf rep like Piranha Plant, but for Zelda)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My guesses:
Dragon Quest XI Hero
Steve (Minecraft)
Scorpion (MK11 is coming to Switch)
Navi (Fun wtf rep like Piranha Plant, but for Zelda)
Navi seems more like a Sakurai pick than a Nintendo pick to be honest (for reference, PP was most likely a Sakurai pick since Nintendo was only cited as choosing the Fighters Pass characters). Also, there's still the issue of Mortal Kombat being a non-entity in Japan, especially with Smash moving away from region-exclusive characters post-Lucas.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion this is a perfectly sensible fit, especially after Joker got in.
latest

- Has been on pretty much every console since the PS2
- Just like Persona 5 it's highly visually distinctive, beautiful stage potential.
- Has a cult following since over a decade.
- Kamiya would probably have nothing against another of his babies getting in Smash.
- That fucking music
- The moveset potential from all the different weapons and the brush mechanics is really damn good.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
In my opinion this is a perfectly sensible fit, especially after Joker got in.
latest

- Has been on pretty much every console since the PS2
- Just like Persona 5 it's highly visually distinctive, beautiful stage potential.
- Has a cult following since over a decade.
- Kamiya would probably have nothing against another of his babies getting in Smash.
- That fucking music
- The moveset potential from all the different weapons and the brush mechanics is really damn good.
Ammy would be great, but she has a lot of Capcom competition to deal with. I just can't see her getting in over Monster Hunter, Leon S. Kennedy or even Dante (as one of Kamiya's darlings).

I want it to happen though.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You said we all know the reason why Goku is different than Spider-Man, I asked you to elaborate, and you stated that Goku has been in video games and especially fighting games for a long time, something you can also say for Spider-Man.

And unlike Goku, A: Spider-Man's fighting game appearances, especially Marvel vs. Capcom 2, have remained in the collective conscious of the gaming community for decades after their releases (Dragon Ball FighterZ may very well, but it's still a new game), and B. Spider-Man is already confirmed to be appearing in an actual Nintendo-published game next year.

So I'm not seeing what makes Goku different or special here.
Are people still thinking Goku will get in just because of a poll? Lol

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ammy would be great, but she has a lot of Capcom competition to deal with. I just can't see her getting in over Monster Hunter, Leon S. Kennedy or even Dante (as one of Kamiya's darlings).

I want it to happen though.
Monster Hunter and Dante I could see but Leon would have such a boring moveset imo. I don't see why we can't get two Capcom reps. Nobody thought we would ever see 3 chars from the same third party and yet we got that with Konami. Might as well do 4 Capcom reps.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter and RE seem obvious in the sense that they're big franchises in both Japan and (now) the US, but both seem to have moved on to PS for this generation, and I think it's unlikely we'll get more than the 3 Capcom reps that we already have.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter and RE seem obvious in the sense that they're big franchises in both Japan and (now) the US, but both seem to have moved on to PS for this generation, and I think it's unlikely we'll get more than the 3 Capcom reps that we already have.
One of them is an echo fighter tho. If you count that we have 4 Konami reps and then the 3 reps restriction is out the window anyway.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I feel your pain on the bolded part, but those are some great third party franchises to have on the roster. And while it's now or never for Rex, ARMS has the luxury of being able to wait until the next Smash game (like Pikmin & Splatoon before it).
I sort of half believe we might get Elma from Xenoblade X.

Arms will definitely make way if and when the next Smash releases. (Assuming the franchise continues). They did drop support for the game fairly fast...

I actually think Rex will get in.

He won't get in this time, but with his artwork and mii costume assets already in Ultimate, and with Xenoblade on the rise, his future inclusion seems safe to me.

If Elma doesn't get in - and let's face it, if the rumours are true, she ain't getting in - she's missed her chance.

And with no X music in the base game, I feel sorry for her fans.

Now, a new Xenoblade game will probably be out by the time the next Smash rolls around, but I don't think that affects Rex's chances. It could also be a XC2 situation where it releases too late to get in.

I think Arms will get a sequel, so I expect representation next time around.

Honestly, I hope for, but don't expect, anothe season pass.

Fighting game developers work on games for years after launch and given the early data we have for Smash, they'll be a several million-strong fan base to sell to. We're also in a world where 4/5 development cycles are the norm.

Again, I don't expect it and Nintendo are weird, but it's not impossible.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I actually think Rex will get in.

He won't get in this time, but with his artwork and mii costume assets already in Ultimate, and with Xenoblade on the rise, his future inclusion seems safe to me.

If Elma doesn't get in - and let's face it, if the rumours are true, she ain't getting in - she's missed her chance.

And with no X music in the base game, I feel sorry for her fans.

Now, a new Xenoblade game will probably be out by the time the next Smash rolls around, but I don't think that affects Rex's chances. It could also be a XC2 situation where it releases too late to get in.

I think Arms will get a sequel, so I expect representation next time around.

Honestly, I hope for, but don't expect, anothe season pass.

Fighting game developers work on games for years after launch and given the early data we have for Smash, they'll be a several million-strong fan base to sell to. We're also in a world where 4/5 development cycles are the norm.

Again, I don't expect it and Nintendo are weird, but it's not impossible.
I mean, unless they start planning for the next Smash right after the Fighters Pass is done, XB3 will likely be out by the time the next Smash game starts its roster planning, thus forcing Rex into irrelevancy. If Rex is to be playable, it has to be in Ultimate. He won't have another chance after this game unless XB3 continues with 2's cast. And yeah, I also expect an ARMS sequel by the next Nintendo system, so it'll probably be in the running for a rep in the next Smash game.

As for multiple seasons, Sakurai would have been working on Smash for 8 years straight by February 2020. Unless Sakurai is already grooming his successor, I'm not so hopeful that we'll get another season of DLC (since Sakurai definitely needs a break after all this).

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I mean, unless they start planning for the next Smash right after the Fighters Pass is done, XB3 will likely be out by the time the next Smash game starts its roster planning, thus forcing Rex into irrelevancy. If Rex is to be playable, it has to be in Ultimate. He won't have another chance after this game unless XB3 continues with 2's cast. And yeah, I expect an ARMS sequel by the next Nintendo system, so it'll probably be in the running for a rep in the next Smash game.

As for multiple seasons, Sakurai would have been working on Smash for 8 years straight by February 2020. I'm not so hopeful that we'll get another season of DLC, as Sakurai definitely needs a break.

I disagree with the notion that XC3 makes Rex irrelevant - and even if it does, I don't think it matters.

Smash is full of irrelevant characters. When's the last time K Rool was a meaningful character in any capacity? I could go on.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Sakurai isn't afraid of putting old characters in his game.

If he misses out, so be it, but if we've had four Xenoblade games by the time the next game comes out and we still only have Shulk, then I will be annoyed.

X wasn't massively popular (though it has plenty of fans) and XC2 came out at a funny time so their lack of representation is understandable, but still.

I didn't realise Sakurai had been working so consistently. It sounds like more content is unlikely. Shame, but I can't grumble, the game is stuffed with content.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I disagree with the notion that XC3 makes Rex irrelevant - and even if it does, I don't think it matters.

Smash is full of irrelevant characters. When's the last time K Rool was a meaningful character in any capacity? I could go on.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but Sakurai isn't afraid of putting old characters in his game.

If he misses out, so be it, but if we've had four Xenoblade games by the time the next game comes out and we still only have Shulk, then I will be annoyed.

X wasn't massively popular (though it has plenty of fans) and XC2 came out at a funny time so their lack of representation is understandable, but still.

I didn't realise Sakurai had been working so consistently. It sounds like more content is unlikely. Shame, but I can't grumble, the game is stuffed with content.
At least with King K. Rool, he was the recurring villain for DK. Rex is the protagonist of a game in a series with a rotating cast. Rex will likely go the way of, say, the Unova Pokémon if we don't get him in Ultimate (hence my persistence about Rex in Ultimate).

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming they collaborate with some of the same companies that they have been again...

Probably won't get another Konami rep. If we do, I'd like to see a Contra rep, especially in the absence of Doomguy (and Bomberman...).
From Capcom... I don't know! I don't expect to see another rep from them again but if they do have a DLC character it's either Dante or Amateratsu, almost certainly I think. Or perhaps Knight Arthur! I was expecting a Monster Hunter at first, but I've since come around to the idea that they have the Rathalos boss/assist trophy because they thought that that was a better representation of the series than a character.

Bamco I think is the most likely to have another character in the DLC, being the developers of the game and having so many big series to pull from. Klonoa could appear, as could Solaire or a Tekken character (Heihachi or Yoshimitsu). Or a character from their other arcade titles. Who knows! But I'm pretty sure we will see a Bandai Namco DLC character.

Square I don't really expect to have a DLC character, but Dragon Quest seems quite likely if they do, or Chrono. Otherwise I dunno. I doubt there will be anything from Square to be quite honest, and even include.

Personally, in terms of things that I want: Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising, Chibi-Robo, and Quote from Cave Story. and doomguy but i have no hope for that despite the series' history with nintendo and its
Hades NEEDS to be in or I will be 1. Mad 2. Angry and 3. Surprised. And Quote is the best possible Indie rep available, dammit.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I backtracked some pages and I saw discussions on why people think Goku will not be a playable character. From my understanding it is because Goku first appeared in an anime and not a video game. Is that correct or am I misrepresenting the shared reasoning of why that prediction will not come true?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I backtracked some pages and I saw discussions on why people think Goku will not be a playable character. From my understanding it is because Goku first appeared in an anime and not a video game. Is that correct or am I misrepresenting the shared reasoning of why that prediction will not come true?

Goku is a manga character, not a video game character. If they add Goku, then literally any pop culture character who's ever appeared in a licensed game is suddenly fair game for Smash and it stops being a celebration of video games.

Oct 25, 2017
At least with King K. Rool, he was the recurring villain for DK. Rex is the protagonist of a game in a series with a rotating cast. Rex will likely go the way of, say, the Unova Pokémon if we don't get him in Ultimate (hence my persistence about Rex in Ultimate).

I think the difference is that Rex is the protagonist of what is by far the most successful Xenoblade game to date, the game that has broken Xenoblade into the mainstream in a way that the other two games did not.

Not that I'm a fan of Rex, but if Chrom can get in years after his game, so can Rex.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Goku is a manga character, not a video game character. If they add Goku, then literally any pop culture character who's ever appeared in a licensed game is suddenly fair game for Smash and it stops being a celebration of video games.
Is there any specific reason why Goku is considered solely a manga character despite having video game representation? I don't think I'm catching the nuance of the difference when looking at certain characters on the roster.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is there any specific reason why Goku is considered solely a manga character despite having video game representation? I don't think I'm catching the nuance of the difference when looking at certain characters on the roster.
Because Goku made his debut in a manga rather than a video game.

I don't think that's entirely true.
Name one character in the roster who didn't make their first appearance in a video game.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Name one character in the roster who didn't make their first appearance in a video game.
Lucario if I'm not mistaken.

This is at the character level. I think I would understand the argument presented if its more at the franchised level. Like is this series originally from a video game, and not the character.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
That would still be a problem for Goku, since Dragon Ball as a franchise started out as a manga series.
I'm discussing the reasoning that it is based on where a character debuted. And if it is based on where a character originated from then there is at least one character that appeared first in an anime movie.

So I agree with the reasoning of a franchise, but I don't get how a character is just a manga/anime character.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lucario if I'm not mistaken.

This is at the character level. I think I would understand the argument presented if its more at the franchised level. Like is this series originally from a video game, and not the character.

He was originally created for Diamond/Pearl, it's just that video games take longer to make than anime episodes/movies so they had him appear in that to appease those waiting for the game. Goku, on the other hand, was specifically made for manga, he's not like Strider who debuted in manga but whose manga appearance was specifically to promote the game.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
I'm discussing the reasoning that it is based on where a character debuted. And if it is based on where a character originated from then there is at least one character that appeared first in an anime movie.

So I agree with the reasoning of a franchise, but I don't get how a character is just a manga/anime character.
Anime movie based on a video game franchise.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
He was originally created for Diamond/Pearl, it's just that video games take longer to make than anime episodes/movies so they had him appear in that to appease those waiting for the game. Goku, on the other hand, was specifically made for manga, he's not like Strider who debuted in manga but whose manga appearance was specifically to promote the game.
So a character like Android 21 would be a character that would fit that mold?

Also I'm pretty sure Lucario's debut in the movie wasn't because of unfortunate timing of game development. I think they wanted Lucario to be shown in the movie first to help become a mascot for both the upcoming anime season and video game.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So a character like Android 21 would be a character that would fit that mold?

Also I'm pretty sure Lucario's debut in the movie wasn't because of unfortunate timing of game development. I think they wanted Lucario to be shown in the movie first to help become a mascot for both the upcoming anime season and video game.

I don't know, I'm not Sakurai.

Also, I didn't say it was unfortunate timing, I said that games take longer to make than anime movies, so they likely came up with him for the video game before deciding to use him in the film.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We thinking next reveal during the January direct?
Nah, I don't think we'll get another actual reveal until E3. I feel like January will be for Piranha Plant's release date, while Joker's gameplay reveal may be for the Spring 2019 Direct. Remember, these characters are gonna be spaced out between now & February 2020.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
We thinking next reveal during the January direct?
Possibly, but I wouldn't bet on it. We already have two DLC characters announced and neither have released yet. If there is a reveal, the best case scenario for the next Direct would be:
  1. An update on Piranha Plant's release date.
  2. Announcement of individual Mii Costume DLC (already known about thanks to the Nintendo support site).
  3. A gameplay trailer for Joker and a release date (a fair bit of time after Piranha Plant).
  4. Teaser for the second Fighters Pass character.
But I think this is incredibly unlikely (I don't even think Joker would be ready to show off in January). The first two will probably happen though.

Last edited:

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I'm not Sakurai.

Also, I didn't say it was unfortunate timing, I said that games take longer to make than anime movies, so they likely came up with him for the video game before deciding to use him in the film.
I was asking based on the logic presented on a character being debuted in a video game for a video game.

Well unless one of us has an uncle at Nintendo I don't think we will be able to tell if the movie or video game was the driver for Lucario's creation; we just know he appeared in the movies first.

Yes and no.

Yes since it's a video game debut.

No in the sense that it's not a protagonist/Lead. Every new character added for a new series is the protagonist. It's actually something that's stayed true so far.
Ooh that's an interesting observation about having to be a lead/protagonist.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yes and no.

Yes since it's a video game debut.

No in the sense that it's not a protagonist/Lead. Every new character added for a new series is the protagonist. It's actually something that's stayed true so far.
This goes back to what I was saying about how the argument in favor of Twintelle is inherently flawed. And while Android 21 would technically circumvent the "no non-video game characters" thing, she's still not the main character.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I don't think we'll get another actual reveal until E3. I feel like January will be for Piranha Plant's release date, while Joker's gameplay reveal may be for the Spring 2019 Direct. Remember, these characters are gonna be spaced out between now & February 2020.

So they'd have the entire first half of the year with the 1 character in the fighters pass, and then cram the next 4 within the same time-frame?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So they'd have the entire first half of the year with the 1 character in the fighters pass, and then cram the next 4 within the same time-frame?
I'm thinking it'll go like this...
  • January 2019: Pirahna Plant release date confirmed via a Direct (Early February 2019)
  • March 2019: Joker gameplay shown in a Direct & release date confirmed (April 2019)
  • June 2019: Challenger Pack 2 revealed during E3, release date confirmed (end of the month)
  • August 2019: Challenger Pack 3 revealed at EVO, release date confirmed (end of the month)
  • October 2019: Challenger Pack 4 revealed during a Direct, release date confirmed (November 2019)
  • January 2020: Challenger Pack 5 revealed during a Direct, release date confirmed (February 2020)
Unless Sakurai is already grooming his successor to take over after the Fighters Pass is done, I'm expecting character DLC support to end after February 2020, with balance patch support going until sometime in 2021 at the latest. By February 2020, Sakurai would have been doing Smash for damn-near 8 years straight. I'd be shocked if he goes on any longer without an extended break from the series.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking it'll go like this...
  • January 2019: Pirahna Plant release date confirmed via a Direct (Early February 2019)
  • March 2019: Joker gameplay shown in a Direct & release date confirmed (April 2019)
  • June 2019: Challenger Pack 2 revealed during E3, release date confirmed (end of the month)
  • August 2019: Challenger Pack 3 revealed at EVO, release date confirmed (end of the month)
  • October 2019: Challenger Pack 4 revealed during a Direct, release date confirmed (November 2019)
  • January 2020: Challenger Pack 5 revealed during a Direct, release date confirmed (February 2020)
Unless Sakurai is already grooming his successor to take over after the Fighters Pass is done, I'm expecting character DLC support to end after February 2020, with balance patch support going until sometime in 2021 at the latest. By February 2020, Sakurai would have been doing Smash for damn-near 8 years straight. I'd be shocked if he goes on any longer without an extended break from the series.

I wonder if we'll get anything substantial as free DLC, like Smash 4 did with the Super Mario Maker and Miiverse stages.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if we'll get anything substantial as free DLC, like Smash 4 did with the Super Mario Maker and Miiverse stages.
SMM wasn't free.

If we get free stuff it probably won't be characters and stages, unless they're something real out-there like Miiverse or Piranha Plant. That's my guess.

Modes, maybe.