• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would still be a problem for Goku, since Dragon Ball as a franchise started out as a manga series. Even Sakurai considers Goku to be an absurd request.
Ahh, the old "Sakurai considers Goku to be an absurd request" argument. Brought to you from the same heretics that believed Villager wouldn't fit in Smash because reasons and Ridley was too big.

Open your hearts, folks. You'll find the answer that is truth: Goku in Smash is an eventuality.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ahh, the old "Sakurai considers Goku to be an absurd request" argument. Brought to you from the same heretics that believed Villager wouldn't fit in Smash because reasons and Ridley was too big.

Open your hearts, folks. You'll find the answer that is truth: Goku in Smash is an eventuality.

I propose a bet. I bet that Goku won't be in Smash Ultimate, if I lose I will castrate myself, if you lose you castrate yourself.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I can imagine the Dragon Quest character reveal now... He/she walks up with the iconic DQ theme playing... then BLAM! He/She is in battle formation and is facing against Bowser, King K. Rool, Donkey Kong and Charizard. Then Mario, Link, and Cloud run up to help He/She lol

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, after Joker and
Edrick
, my next 3 would be:

1. Bomberman
A big classic series with obviously fun mechanics that everyone would recognize. Honestly surprised he hasn't made it in already.
2. Crash Bandicoot
Same thing, and especially given the use of the DLC to promote characters so far, this seems obvious. I bet it's even revealed with a classic PS1 style Crash commercial like how he used to call Nintendo out in the suit.
3. Banjo Kazooie or Goku
It has to happen. One of these is bound to be in the final DLC character.

But my wish character that has no chance?
iu

HE'S PERFECT FOR SMASH

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017

NOT.
BEFORE.
MICKEY.

Seriously, Mickey Mouse is more popular in Japan than Dragonball is, has a history with Nintendo, and has starred in numerous games (over 60 of them) most of which have been on Nintendo consoles, and even has KH and Epic Mickey to draw upon for a moveset.

Like. Initially I was 100% joking about Mickey in Smash to sort of jab at the idea of Goku being in but now I'm like... No. You know what? I really want him in now.

The only thing standing in the way is Disney perhaps being iffy about their mascot being blown up by one of Snake's RPGs, but you know, they were fine with Goofy "dying" in KH2. As long as Mickey only goes flying, it'll be fine.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
NOT.
BEFORE.
MICKEY.

Seriously, Mickey Mouse is more popular in Japan than Dragonball is, has a history with Nintendo, and has starred in numerous games (over 60 of them) most of which have been on Nintendo consoles, and even has KH and Epic Mickey to draw upon for a moveset.

Like. Initially I was 100% joking about Mickey in Smash to sort of jab at the idea of Goku being in but now I'm like... No. You know what? I really want him in now.

The only thing standing in the way is Disney perhaps being iffy about their mascot being blown up by one of Snake's RPGs, but you know, they were fine with Goofy "dying" in KH2. As long as Mickey only goes flying, it'll be fine.
Mickey has tons of moveset potential just based on the many licensed games he has been part of. I imagine he would be just like Game & Watch, with tons of references hidden away in every move. This fan-art shows some moves I would probably expect to see.
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Mickey in Smash, and I honestly think he is more likely than Sora is. If Nintendo and Sakurai had to go through the effort to deal with Disney over Smash, I personally think they would want to come out with the biggest character possible: and that would be Mickey (followed by Darth Vader and Spider-Man).

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
NOT.
BEFORE.
MICKEY.

Hey maybe KH3 will come to the Switch and that is how Mickey gets into Smash? Good way to cross market I say.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, after Joker and
Edrick
, my next 3 would be:

1. Bomberman
A big classic series with obviously fun mechanics that everyone would recognize. Honestly surprised he hasn't made it in already.
2. Crash Bandicoot
Same thing, and especially given the use of the DLC to promote characters so far, this seems obvious. I bet it's even revealed with a classic PS1 style Crash commercial like how he used to call Nintendo out in the suit.
3. Banjo Kazooie or Goku

iu

HE'S PERFECT FOR SMASH
Bomberman is stuck in the Assist Trophy Shadow Realm.

Yeezus

Nov 27, 2017
I think it's a long shot, but the Smith Syndicate from Killer7 (in the style of Pokemon Trainer and the hot switching) would be downright hilarious.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we do get Dragon Quest, does that mean Ninja Gaiden becomes the highest profile NES game with no representation in Smash?

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Well, after Joker and
Edrick
, my next 3 would be:

1. Bomberman
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Banjo Kazooie or Goku

iu

HE'S PERFECT FOR SMASH

He needs to be in quite honestly.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If we do get Dragon Quest, does that mean Ninja Gaiden becomes the highest profile NES game with no representation in Smash?
I think Ninja Gaiden is pretty high up there, alongside Contra and (maybe) Double Dragon. All three were on the NES Classic and 2/3 are currently on the NSO service, so I think they all have a pretty good shot at getting representation at some point (Billy and Jimmy would probably be Assist Trophies at best though).

Ryu is clearly the best choice of the three in terms of being Ultimate DLC and being playable in general.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Im loving all of these retro picks, but has there be an indication that one of the picks will be retro (like contra etc)? I just look at how an individually retro pack would sell compared To a 3rd party popular character

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Mickey has tons of moveset potential just based on the many licensed games he has been part of. I imagine we would be just like Game & Watch, with tons of references hidden away in every move. This fan-art shows some moves I would probably expect to see.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Mickey in Smash, and I honestly think he is more likely than Sora is. If Nintendo and Sakurai had to go through the effort to deal with Disney over Smash, I personally think they would want to come out with the biggest character possible: and that would be Mickey (followed by Darth Vader and Spider-Man).

Dude, if Mickey Mouse joined, that would be something that registers as shocking and unexpected.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I picked up the Banjo & Kazooie Totaku figure today, and now it's hiding on my Smash amiibo shelf. Hopefully i'll get to replace it with the real deal one day.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I propose a bet. I bet that Goku won't be in Smash Ultimate, if I lose I will castrate myself, if you lose you castrate yourself.
Heads I win, tails you lose.
NOT.
BEFORE.
MICKEY.

I'd be cool with Mickey or Spider-Man in Smash. I'm not close-minded, surely they'd have dope movesets to play with.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if Smash made the leap to manga/anime characters. Goku of course, and shit even Naruto would be fun even though I'm not invested in that anime. People whine and complain over the mere mention of Goku, but you know what? Sakurai and co. would do amazing work with them in Smash.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heads I win, tails you lose.

I'd be cool with Mickey or Spider-Man in Smash. I'm not close-minded, surely they'd have dope movesets to play with.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if Smash made the leap to manga/anime characters. Goku of course, and shit even Naruto would be fun even though I'm not invested in that anime. People whine and complain over the mere mention of Goku, but you know what? Sakurai and co. would do amazing work with them in Smash.
I don't think anyone doubts that they could make great stuff for them in Smash.

I just don't want Goku because frankly I hate him.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dumb pick but can't shake the idea that a Resident Evil character could show up as a dlc pick. Gamecube era had a ton of RE titles that were exclusives for the time and with RE2 coming out soon wouldn't be surprised to see Leon show up as a cross promotion sort of thing. If not RE, then definitely I would guess Dante showing up.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Nah, I don't think we'll get another actual reveal until E3. I feel like January will be for Piranha Plant's release date, while Joker's gameplay reveal may be for the Spring 2019 Direct. Remember, these characters are gonna be spaced out between now & February 2020.
Which means a new character every two months since PP is supposed to be released in february.
PP = ~ february
Joker = ~ april/mai
DLC 2 = ~ june/july
DLC 3 = ~ august/september
DLC 4 = ~ october/november
DLC 5 = ~ december/january

I could see a gameplay reveal of Joker at the january direct, with a release date for both him and PP.

Then at the march/april direct dlc 2 reveal.
E3 direct dlc 3 reveal.
September direct dlc 4 reveal
Game Awards dlc 5 reveal (or january 2020 direct).
There's just enough direct to reveal them all, and we should expect Smash news at each direct imo. Nintendo will keep being agressive with this game to promote their biggest GAAS. No new reveal for 6 other months ? No way. Remember, you were thinking there was no way the first dlc character would be at the Game Awards, that it was too soon, and I was kinda agreeing with you. I think it's safe to assume we're going to get a lot of Smash news every two months or so now. It makes sense.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
#teamSubZero

Like, Mortal Kombat coming back to Nintendo platform... they just must do something special.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

First non video character will be Thanos thanks to Ultimate Alliance 3 and Avengers Endgame.

Even tho the first should be Robocop, Robocop 3 on pc was crazy good.

And the first manga character should be Joseph Joestar or Jotaro. And Shinji from Evangelion.

And the first litterature character will be Jean Valjean. He already has a fighting game it's all good. But my dream character would be Oedipus Rex, Pasolini's version. First newcommer to break the "must appear in a video game" rule.

Goku will come wayyyy after that.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Banjo and Kazooie need to be in this game. Phil has said he's up for it twice, and the fans would go wild.

For me, he'd be the best new inclusion full stop. The success of the series on the N64 and it's ill-fated acquisition by MS culminating in a glorious return to Smash is too good a story to pass up.

And when you think of all the abilities they have... and the transformations if they wanted to go in that direction... there's so much you can do with Banjo and Kazooie.

If Phil turns up in a direct to announce Steve instead, I'll officialy lost faith in Nintendo. lol

Oct 30, 2017
Minecraft Steve and a Fortnite character would make this game from mainstream to super mainstream. If Nintendo want to expand the exposure for this game these are the only 2 characters that would do it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dumb pick but can't shake the idea that a Resident Evil character could show up as a dlc pick. Gamecube era had a ton of RE titles that were exclusives for the time and with RE2 coming out soon wouldn't be surprised to see Leon show up as a cross promotion sort of thing. If not RE, then definitely I would guess Dante showing up.

I'm pretty sure Capcom is going to get SOMEONE for DLC. An RE character would be my pick for sure, but I think Monster Hunter is probably more likely (though it's closer than most people think, if you really think about it). Dante's the dark horse but depending on Sakurai's preferences I could see him sneaking in.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Which means a new character every two months since PP is supposed to be released in february.
PP = ~ february
Joker = ~ april/mai
DLC 2 = ~ june/july
DLC 3 = ~ august/september
DLC 4 = ~ october/november
DLC 5 = ~ december/january

I could see a gameplay reveal of Joker at the january direct, with a release date for both him and PP.

Then at the march/april direct dlc 2 reveal.
E3 direct dlc 3 reveal.
September direct dlc 4 reveal
Game Awards dlc 5 reveal (or january 2020 direct).
There's just enough direct to reveal them all, and we should expect Smash news at each direct imo. Nintendo will keep being agressive with this game to promote their biggest GAAS. No new reveal for 6 other months ? No way. Remember, you were thinking there was no way the first dlc character would be at the Game Awards, that it was too soon, and I was kinda agreeing with you. I think it's safe to assume we're going to get a lot of Smash news every two months or so now. It makes sense.
That's the thing about the "biggest GaaS" thing, I don't think we'll get any DLC past this Fighters Pass. Like I said before, Sakurai would have been doing Smash for 8 years straight by February 2020. Having Sakurai do more DLC on top of that is a bit unrealistic, unless he's already setting up his successor for the job. And even then, Splatoon 2 didn't last that long (only a year & 5 months).

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's the thing about the "biggest GaaS" thing, I don't think we'll get any DLC past this Fighters Pass. Like I said before, Sakurai would have been doing Smash for 8 years straight by February 2020. Having Sakurai do more DLC on top of that is a bit unrealistic, unless he's already setting up his successor for the job. And even then, Splatoon 2 didn't last that long (only a year & 5 months).
Never said it would receive more than 5 dlcs. Not that I don't think it will get more, but that's not what I'm trying to say here.
Just said Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest game, and they clearly want this game to keep selling more more and more because it obsviously can. It will have crazy legs.
That's why they revealed Joker at TGA. They wanted people to buy the game + fighter pass day one on the eshop.
Splatoon 2 is big, but Smash will be even bigger. That's why I'm saying it's their biggest GAAS. Nintendo will promote the game during all 2019. Each direct will get its DLC infos imo. The hype will never end.

It will be fun by the way. Some people here were already complaining since E3 about Smash presence, that Nintendo couldn't stop talking about it lmao. How will they react when they'll realize this will continue for one another entire year.

Nov 18, 2017
For me, Banjo is such a bland design and boring character.

It just goes to show Nintendo will have a hard time pleasing everyone with their choices.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Never said it would receive more than 5 dlcs. Not that I don't think it will get more, but that's not what I'm trying to say here.
Just said Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest game, and they clearly want this game to keep selling more more and more because it obsviously can. It will have crazy legs.
That's why they revealed Joker at TGA. They wanted people to buy the game + fighter pass day one on the eshop.
Splatoon 2 is big, but Smash will be even bigger. That's why I'm saying it's their biggest GAAS. Nintendo will promote the game during all 2019. Each direct will get its DLC infos imo. The hype will never end.

It will be fun by the way. Some people here were already complaining since E3 about Smash presence, that Nintendo couldn't stop talking about it lmao. How will they react when they'll realize this will continue for one another entire year.
If the hypothetical DLC schedule I made a while ago pans out, that wouldn't be un-true (the part about a reveal in every Direct). Though I feel like the Spring Direct would have Joker gameplay rather than another reveal, especially if the characters are to be spaced out between now & February 2020.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've accepted that Geno will not be in so here's my list.

Erdrick
Heihachi
Doomslayer
Monster Hunter