• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Goku would be a great addition. All the arguments against it remind me of the old lame arguments that only mario characters should appear in mario kart. Look what we have now...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Goku would be a great addition. All the arguments against it remind me of the old lame arguments that only mario characters should appear in mario kart. Look what we have now...
That's not exactly an apt comparison, especially when Sakurai treated the concept of Goku in Smash as equal to including SpongeBob (I.E. a joke).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Granted, but FE has more than just 7 characters.

Sure, but at the same time, there's already enough. Every single Fire Emblem doesn't need to be represented. Cut some of the cloned reps from Awakening if you want to refresh the Fire Emblem representation instead of just tacking on more and more and more. The character select screen is already messy enough as it is.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but at the same time, there's already enough. Every single Fire Emblem doesn't need to be represented. Cut some of the cloned reps from Awakening if you want to refresh the Fire Emblem representation instead of just tacking on more and more and more. The character select screen is already messy enough as it is.

Don't you use the merged character select for echoes? It's not like it's a problem.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you use the merged character select for echoes? It's not like it's a problem.

Doesn't matter. Every character they add to the roster is additional balancing time the team has to spend. Cut Lucina or turn her into an alt costume for Marth like she should be, and erase Chrom. Awakening didn't need three characters in the first place, and it just makes the prospect of adding even MORE new Fire Emblem characters absolutely laughable.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter. Every character they add to the roster is additional balancing time the team has to spend. Cut Lucina or turn her into an alt costume for Marth like she should be, and erase Chrom. Awakening didn't need three characters in the first place, and it just makes the prospect of adding even MORE new Fire Emblem characters absolutely laughable.
There not cutting two of the more popular characters from the series.

They probably barley took any effort and I'm not loosing my favorite FE character.(Lucina)

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm not sure how likely they are, but I personally would love to see Tails or Sora make it into the game.

Sega has been on board since Brawl, but there's still only one Sega rep (I suppose Bayonetta is as well, but she's identified almost as much with Nintendo). He's certainly iconic enough, comes from Sega's main franchise, and would be adapt enough to become a fighter. He notably isn't an Assist Trophy either, unlike Shadow or Knuckles.

If Square Enix gets another rep, there's a few characters I think are possible, the DQ Slime and Geno being two that many people like to talk about. Geno seems unlikely since it hasn't happened yet, and while many people are leaning towards the Slime, I think Sora is a better fit both combat wise, and for advertising reasons. Announcing him as DLC around the time the game comes out would be beneficial for Square, and they certainly enjoy advertising for the game - it had three E3 trailers in different conferences.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the next Smash only keeps less than one-third of its roster, then they are definitely going to use clones to try and pad out the final number as always. So a popular clone like Lucina may still make it in.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Ayumi Tachibana planned at one point? Would love to see her in the game.
Ayumi_Tachibana_Trophy_Melee.png

Although it seems like Nintendo wants to prioritize more current or relevant characters so I guess oddball picks like her are completely off the table now?

She was off the table before. They've been moving away from Japan-only characters after Marth, Roy, and Lucas. The only way she'd even be considered would be if Nintendo were planning a world wide release for a revival of Famicom Detective Club.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably not happening, but I'd love a Three Houses rep just to read the angry tirades.
I'd be cool with it as long as it's not YET ANOTHER freaking sword user. The three lords in the game are a sword/axe user, a lance user, and a bow user. Please choose the latter two and if they chose the first, stick to using just axes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The whole point of the echoes is expanding the roster while minimizing balance though. The one time Sakurai talked about the work involved in adding them he mentioned stuff like the renders for their alternate colors rather than game balance. It's why Lucina received the exact same updates as Marth in the transition to Ultimate for example rather than any effort to make her stand apart from him.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'd be cool with it as long as it's not YET ANOTHER freaking sword user. The three lords in the game are a sword/axe user, a lance user, and a bow user. Please choose the latter two and if they chose the first, stick to using just axes.
As long as the movesets are as excellent as the last three (non-Echo) FE characters have been, I say lay it on me — sword or no.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping we would have no "which character deserves to be cut" discussions after "Everyone is Here!" was announced. I expect too much from Smash fandom.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not sure how likely they are, but I personally would love to see Tails or Sora make it into the game.

Sega has been on board since Brawl, but there's still only one Sega rep (I suppose Bayonetta is as well, but she's identified almost as much with Nintendo). He's certainly iconic enough, comes from Sega's main franchise, and would be adapt enough to become a fighter. He notably isn't an Assist Trophy either, unlike Shadow or Knuckles.

If Square Enix gets another rep, there's a few characters I think are possible, the DQ Slime and Geno being two that many people like to talk about. Geno seems unlikely since it hasn't happened yet, and while many people are leaning towards the Slime, I think Sora is a better fit both combat wise, and for advertising reasons. Announcing him as DLC around the time the game comes out would be beneficial for Square, and they certainly enjoy advertising for the game - it had three E3 trailers in different conferences.
Technically speaking, Sega has 3 (Sonic & Bayo for sure, Joker via Sega owning Atlus). As for Sora, his main problem is the fact that Disney owns him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of the echoes is expanding the roster while minimizing balance though. The one time Sakurai talked about the work involved in adding them he mentioned stuff like the renders for their alternate colors rather than game balance. It's why Lucina received the exact same updates as Marth in the transition to Ultimate for example rather than any effort to make her stand apart from him.

The problem is that there's zero consistency. Ken is an Echo and he's basically an entirely different character. I realize that that's PARTLY a joke on his part, but it still just feels ridiculous, y'know?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I was hoping we would have no "which character deserves to be cut" discussions after "Everyone is Here!" was announced. I expect too much from Smash fandom.
Yeah, I really don't understand why people like discussing cuts so much. Even after E3, conversations about it popped up from time-to-time in the DTs and I never understood why. The worst part of cut discussion is that most of the time it isn't even based on logic or realistic picks, but just personal preference and bias against certain characters; especially with the Fire Emblem cast, Puff (and other wacky characters like Wii Fit), any clone characters and Bayonetta. It always gets tiring.

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cuts discussion is dumb because it's only about people's biases. The matter is that clones would likely stick around in some capacity because they have always used less resources than full characters.

Besides that, if they did make a new Smash roster from scratch we would only have around as many characters as Melee. So a ton of big names would be getting cut rather than just FE/3rd party or whatever it is people want gone.

I believe Sakurai had mentioned he would've only been able to include a third of the characters we have now if he started from scratch. Let's round it to 25. Then consider that Ultimate will have 80 characters by the time DLC is done. They would have to cut 55 characters from the series, possibly even more so that they could include newcomers.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
  • Joker
  • Solaire of Astora
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Rex & Pyra
  • The protagonist of a new Nintendo IP that we haven't seen yet.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really don't understand why people like discussing cuts so much. Even after E3, conversations about it popped up from time-to-time in the DTs and I never understood why. The worst part of cut discussion is that most of the time it isn't even based on logic or realistic picks, but just personal preference and bias against certain characters; especially with the Fire Emblem cast, Puff (and other wacky characters like Wii Fit), any clone characters and Bayonetta. It always gets tiring.
This is like the reboot talk I've seen about the potential next game, and this is probably meant for another thread, but the capacity of a reboot people keep talking about would be suicidal for the franchise. To be clear I'm talking about the reboot talk consisting of things like "Keep the original 12, cut all FE characters but Marth, cut Ridley, Dark Samus, and ZSS, cut Diddy and K. Cool, cut third party, cut Isabelle, etc."

Smash lives and dies by it's roster. If you gut the roster, it would be really bad for the franchise unless they can come up with something else extremely compelling to sell the game with. Cuts in a future game would be likely, but gutting the roster is a bad idea.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the reboot talk I've seen about the potential next game, and this is probably meant for another thread, but the capacity of a reboot people keep talking about would be suicidal for the franchise. To be clear I'm talking about the reboot talk consisting of things like "Keep the original 12, cut all FE characters but Marth, cut Ridley, Dark Samus, and ZSS, cut Diddy and K. Cool, cut third party, cut Isabelle, etc."

Smash lives and dies by it's roster. If you gut the roster, it would be really bad for the franchise unless they can come up with something else extremely compelling to sell the game with. Cuts in a future game would be likely, but gutting the roster is a bad idea.
I feel like a reboot would only be justified in the eyes of fans if they include some massive overhaul of the main battle formula, but I'm not sure what that would entail. Only thing I can come up with is to make the game more like Marvel and have Squad Strike as the main mode, but with on-the-fly character switching.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a reboot would only be justified in the eyes of fans if they include some massive overhaul of the main battle formula, but I'm not sure what that would entail. Only thing I can come up with is to make the game more like Marvel and have Squad Strike as the main mode, but with on-the-fly character switching.

And honestly, that's way, way, way too much to ask for the casual audience Smash is supposed to attract. Gamers should not be expecting the next Smash to go MORE hardcore.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Any sequel that doesn't build on top of Ultimate will be controversial with fans, but I have doubts even something like an Ultimate "Deluxe" would happen just because the huge amount of licensing work it would take to port it.

My shot in the dark guess is that they will start from scratch with some kind of twist to get people to buy into it. Although as far as Nintendo and Sakurai are concerned, they are only thinking about Ultimate this gen and don't seem to be thinking that far ahead.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I think the only way a reboot would be viable would be by basically not making it "Smash Bros" anymore gameplay-wise, and keeping the name just as a brand - like a 3d action/adventure game with Nintendo characters rather than a fighting game.

That said, even though it won't be a reboot, any standard sequel probably will see cuts coming from this game.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only way a reboot would be viable would be by basically not making it "Smash Bros" anymore gameplay-wise, and keeping the name just as a brand - like a 3d action/adventure game with Nintendo characters rather than a fighting game.

That said, even though it won't be a reboot, any standard sequel probably will see cuts coming from this game.

A reboot wouldn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't make Smash a platform fighter any more. It could just be justified that the game design has been changed to a big enough degree that characters can no longer be carried forward in the series. So something like Street Fighter II to Street Fighter III.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
A reboot wouldn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't make Smash a platform fighter any more. It could just be justified that the game design has been changed to a big enough degree that characters can no longer be carried forward in the series. So something like Street Fighter II to Street Fighter III.

Something like that just has no sales potential though. Some mechanical revamping, but overall the still the same game style, at the cost of 70% of the cast just seems like something that would hurt the sales of a future game.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I have no hope of predicting the newcomers, but I gotta say I wanna see Rosalina fight the King of All Cosmos.

"Break the stars, did you?!"

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Yea agreed with the cuts discussion, we just got this brand new game for 2 weeks and the next game will only come out in probably 6-8 years.
I do hope that people realize that every character included has people who like seeing them in (yes, even dark pit), even through they may whine about them all the time.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I had a Smash dream recently (which I wrote about as soon as I woke up) where Kid Goku and Paper Mario were confirmed as DLC characters. It was weird because they were acting like Paper Mario was already revealed before the Direct I was watching, but Goku was a new reveal. He used the Power Pole a lot in the reveal trailer, with moves similar to Staff Kirby in Star Allies. The stage was just a random rocky mountain, and Bulma made an appearance (Assist Trophy?). Afterwards, they also showed off Bandana Waddle Dee as a DLC Assist Trophy, with a Mii Hat based on his signature bandana also being added.

All of this is definitely happening, you heard it here first.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel Mortal Kombat lack of presence in Japan is a reason to outright ignore it.

It's arguably the 2nd biggest fighting game franchise right now. Even without Japan. Last couple of games have done well.

Then again, I'm Someone that finds the "needs to sell" argument awfully weak when Bayo was a DLC character last time.

I guess it's all up to Sakurai anyways. If Nintendo put a MK character, he'll think it's possible or not.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
^ It is arguably the biggest factor in its inclusion through.
Why include a game franchisee which your Japanese audience (and potentially even the project group) feel nothing towards? At the end of the day, smash is still represented very much by Japanese games.
Inclusion for the sake of inclusion should not be a factor.

Tbh these 'mk for smash' remarks only seem to really come only after mk11 was announced for the switch.
Similar to the p5 for switch wishlist comments as well.

I'll believe it when I see it (just like the goku for smash remarks).

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
^ It is arguably the biggest factor in its inclusion through.
Why include a game franchisee which your Japanese audience (and potentially even the project group) feel nothing towards? At the end of the day, smash is still represented very much by Japanese games.
Inclusion for the sake of inclusion should not be a factor.

Tbh these 'mk for smash' remarks only seem to really come only after mk11 was announced for the switch.
Similar to the p5 for switch wishlist comments as well.

I'll believe it when I see it (just like the goku for smash remarks).
I've been saying Sub-Zero for Smash since Smash 4.

It's a big franchise and it's had a fair share of people hoping for MK reps. It's just grew much more with the inclusion of a wild card like Joker.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Oh? I've not seen much support for it till smash 5. Then again it's just my experience so it doesn't really count for much.

Then again, size of the franchisee doesn't mean anything. Otherwise, we might be seeing GTA, call of duty and assassin's creed in smash?
Also given that we've had stuff like cloud and snake, seeing joker isn't that much of a stretch. Surprise for sure, but it doesn't break any of the patterns we've seen from third party characters.
And this is coming from someone who doesn't believe in any fan-restriction rules when it comes to character selection.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's a big franchise and it's had a fair share of people hoping for MK reps. It's just grew much more with the inclusion of a wild card like Joker.
You mean a wild card that was created by a Sega subsidiary that has very strong ties to Nintendo?

Joker barely changed the odds of what's possible at all. Plus, I seriously doubt that Nintendo gives a shit about MK whatsoever, if there's ANY non-Japanese property that they'd really want to see in Smash (I really don't think that there are any IMO) it would probably be something with wider appeal.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
At this point I think the 5 are

-Joker
-Erdrick
-Scorpion/Sub-Zero
-Capcom Char (Dante or Leon)
-Whacky out there third party (Arthur Morgan, Geralt, Doom Guy, Dovahkiin, Tracer)

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would hardly call Joker a wildcard. There was a few of us who had assumed that if an Atlus character joined, it would be a protagonist from Persona, not Jack Frost or a SMT character.

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
If anime character has to be added from a huge franchise, Luffy would be a way better smash character than Goku would be

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's favorite characters tend to be on the more obscure end I'd hate a reboot as chances are most of my favorites would be cut.

Frankly it seems like 90% of the "cut" people are actually saying "cut characters I don't like, so they can put in ones I do."

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd guess japanese characters have a bigger chance in Smash if only because the team seems to approach characters based on how passionate they are about them to some degree. The few specifically western characters in Smash had to be requested by fans lmao.

I would never rule anything out though and am basically down for anything that they come up with so bring on sub zero lol

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
I would hardly call Joker a wildcard. There was a few of us who had assumed that if an Atlus character joined, it would be a protagonist from Persona, not Jack Frost or a SMT character.
The Joker is literally a wildcard.

not fake literally, like actual literally.

Im gonna stick by them all being 3rd party dlc characters from upcoming games, so with that said
Joker.
Erdick (although i really hope it isnt and dq coming to switch)
Crash (Crash Racing)
Doomguy (Doon Eternal)
Spyro (with the nee triolgy ported to switch)