• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I'd guess japanese characters have a bigger chance in Smash if only because the team seems to approach characters based on how passionate they are about them to some degree. The few specifically western characters in Smash had to be requested by fans lmao.

I would never rule anything out though and am basically down for anything that they come up with so bring on sub zero lol

if we ever get a western character it'd be Minecraft related.

ah Crash too.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
The Joker is literally a wildcard.

not fake literally, like actual literally.

Im gonna stick by them all being 3rd party dlc characters from upcoming games, so with that said
Joker.
Erdick (although i really hope it isnt and dq coming to switch)
Crash (Crash Racing)
Doomguy (Doon Eternal)
Spyro (with the nee triolgy ported to switch)
The only reason I think Spyro has a chance to get into Smash is the unannounced trilogy.
But maybe the game is to big and Nintendo can't find a solution to cut the GBs in to half.
Anyway if Spyro somehow gets in Crash is in it as well. Crash is in a better position as of right now.
and I still believe in Agumon!!!

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing people's guesses/hopes. Gets me even more hyped up for when the rest of the DLC characters get announced (I'm always happy to get more, even if it's an off the wall character or someone I didn't think of or care about). With that said, here's my (safe-ish and grounded in some sort of realistic guessing) list! It's made with the idea that 3rd party companies only can only take one spot for DLC (like you can't have Tails or another Sonic character since Joker is from Sega/Atlus).

1. Geno from Super Mario RPG - I've just always held out hope for some Super Mario RPG representation since Melee, and I think he'd be great. Plus, I want an amiibo of him terribly bad. I believe I've read SE owns him, and with how everyone has said what a pain they were to get on board with Ultimate, it's probably not very likely.

2. Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney series - It'd be great as a cross promotion for the Ace Attorney trilogy coming out in the spring on Switch. He's already been in one fighting game, and I feel like this one would fit him even better. To be honest, I'd rather have Apollo Justice instead (he could have slow down mechanics like Bayonetta), but I'd be happy with Nick.

3. The Prince from Katamari Damacy - I honestly don't know how he'd work besides like rolling over people, but I love the little guy and the re-release of the first game brings him at least a little bit into people's minds again. Heck, I heard a segment on NPR today talking about Katamari Damacy and how great it is. I guess the only reason this may not work is because Pac-Man has The Prince as one of his items, I think?

4. Spot held for some announcement of a Nintendo title of some sort - I figure maybe they'd use their last spot to showcase someone from an upcoming game (new FE, Pokemon, Metroid, whatever character). Like they could do some sort of Direct and then it does a reveal like the inklings got for Smash. I dunno, this one isn't very creative, but it's safe.

I really wanted to come up with another spot for Konami, but all I could think of is wanting someone from Suikoden (Card Stories and Tierkreis were on Nintendo systems, though it's not a requirement since Joker is coming) or being lame and wanting Pyramid Head. I want an adorable Pyramid Head amiibo.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I love seeing people's guesses/hopes. Gets me even more hyped up for when the rest of the DLC characters get announced (I'm always happy to get more, even if it's an off the wall character or someone I didn't think of or care about). With that said, here's my (safe-ish and grounded in some sort of realistic guessing) list! It's made with the idea that 3rd party companies only can only take one spot for DLC (like you can't have Tails or another Sonic character since Joker is from Sega/Atlus).

1. Geno from Super Mario RPG - I've just always held out hope for some Super Mario RPG representation since Melee, and I think he'd be great. Plus, I want an amiibo of him terribly bad. I believe I've read SE owns him, and with how everyone has said what a pain they were to get on board with Ultimate, it's probably not very likely.

2. Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney series - It'd be great as a cross promotion for the Ace Attorney trilogy coming out in the spring on Switch. He's already been in one fighting game, and I feel like this one would fit him even better. To be honest, I'd rather have Apollo Justice instead (he could have slow down mechanics like Bayonetta), but I'd be happy with Nick.

3. The Prince from Katamari Damacy - I honestly don't know how he'd work besides like rolling over people, but I love the little guy and the re-release of the first game brings him at least a little bit into people's minds again. Heck, I heard a segment on NPR today talking about Katamari Damacy and how great it is. I guess the only reason this may not work is because Pac-Man has The Prince as one of his items, I think?

4. Spot held for some announcement of a Nintendo title of some sort - I figure maybe they'd use their last spot to showcase someone from an upcoming game (new FE, Pokemon, Metroid, whatever character). Like they could do some sort of Direct and then it does a reveal like the inklings got for Smash. I dunno, this one isn't very creative, but it's safe.

I really wanted to come up with another spot for Konami, but all I could think of is wanting someone from Suikoden (Card Stories and Tierkreis were on the system, though it's not a requirement since Joker is coming) or being lame and wanting Pyramid Head. I want an adorable Pyramid Head amiibo.
If that last character was Banjo & Kazooie instead of a First-Party, that would honestly be my perfect Fighters Pass.
  • Wright and Banjo are both in my Top 5 most-wanted (now that Ultimate cleared out a lot of that list).
  • I've supported Geno a lot on Era, so i'd like some vindication from Nintendo and Sakurai (i'm not feeling that confident about him right now though).
  • The Prince is probably the only Bandai Namco character that would personally excite me (though I have friends who want Heihachi and Lloyd Irving, so I wouldn't be mad with those either).
  • I'm glad Joker is in Smash just for the music alone (but I really need to finish playing his game).

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If that last character was Banjo & Kazooie instead of a First-Party, that would honestly be my perfect Fighters Pass. Geno, Nick and Banjo are all in my Top 5 most-wanted (now that Ultimate cleared out a lot of that list), The Prince is probably the only Bandai Namco character that would personally excite me (though I have friends who want Heihachi and Lloyd Irving, so I wouldn't be mad with those either) and i'm glad Joker is in Smash just for the music alone.

I'd be totally fine with Banjo & Kazooie taking that last spot. I was trying to work with companies that already have representation in the game, thus maybe making it easier to get approval for other characters within their IPs, but heck yeah, bring on something from another source. If MS would play ball, then also give me something like Sackboy or Parappa/Lammy from Sony!

And then in my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out there hopes and dreams that'll never happen ever, SE lets Nintendo go dive into their more obscure games and I get Heat or Hiro or Kitty-N from Bust A Move/Groove. The music alone would be worth it.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Haruka is just a Mii Costume at best. It's pretty obvious that the next Bandai Namco rep will have to represent the "Bandai" side of the company, to balance out Pac-Man representing the "Namco" side. Based on that, the choice should be clear:
latest

Mametchi is guaranteed for Smash! I mean, he already appeared IN A MARIO TITLE with Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, so the crossover history is there.
Feels like you've just copy and pasted a previous post of mine lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Feels like you've just copy and pasted a previous post of mine lol
I'm honoured to know that I have mastered the 'BGBW Style' of posting.

...OH, that's how they'll represent Haruka: she'll be a Master Spirit!

Edit: See, Sakurai just sent me this. It's 100% confirmed!
59tX2wi.jpg

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Hitman 2 and I'm convinced Sakurai could make Agent 47 work. His most iconic weapon is his Silverballers but they are optional in the new games and all the story kills are accident focused. All his side specials could be based on the wacky environmental kills. The explosive duck writes itself.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest I'd love 2B but as much as I don't care about Dragon Quest it'd make a lot more sense in Smash from a historic context.

Though again I'd never turn down 2B being in the roster.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brother Nier sucks. I don't want any incest vibes anywhere near this game.
Corrin's already hear so to little to late for that.

But at least Brother Nier doesn't make me repulsed to look at him.

Seriously I have no problem with old dude characters in games but Papa Nier is just ugly.

Not that it matters anyway as if a Nier character got in by some miracle it would most assuredly be 2B. Anyone else would be like putting in Tatsuya instead of Joker or Squall instead of Cloud.

Yeah there'd be some niche fans who would prefer that but there not the ones they'd be interested in selling DLC to.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Corrin's already hear so to little to late for that.

But at least Brother Nier doesn't make me repulsed to look at him.

Seriously I have no problem with old dude characters in games but Papa Nier is just ugly.

Not that it matters anyway as if a Nier character got in by some miracle it would most assuredly be 2B. Anyone else would be like putting in Tatsuya instead of Joker or Squall instead of Cloud.

Yeah there'd be some niche fans who would prefer that but there not the ones they'd be interested in selling DLC to.

I'm aware, yeah. I just hate 2B and most of Automata and I would be so bummed if it got in. But chances are nothing I want is going to be in this pack, so oh well.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not gonna lie, I'm going to be salty as hell if we don't get reps from W101 and ARMS.
I mean, W101 would be a tough sell as DLC given how badly the game bombed (please port W101 to the Switch, Nintendo & Platinum), & ARMS is pretty much sidelined until the next Smash game thanks to the Spring Man Assist Trophy.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I've been thinking about it for quite some time and these are the characters I hope get in, with the assumption that the character is not represented or expected to get in Smash Ultimate. It is in my opinion that none of the characters will be from a first party game since there aren't many heavy hitters left that are not already represented in some form in Smash.

1. Travis Touchdown - We know suda wants him in Smash and surely Nintendo is aware. Even though he's been on other platforms, he's pretty much synonymous with Nintendo

2. Banjo Kazooie - Microsoft knows we want them in, Sakurai knows we want them in, and Nintendo knows we want them in. I don't believe there's been a poll where they weren't on the top. They're a fan favorite so it makes sense to acquire them for DLC. It would be unexpected since Microsoft is a hardware and software competitor, but with Smash Ultimate expect the unexpected.

3. Erdrick - My gut is telling me we're gonna get another Square character with two midi tracks. He's been hinted at by a leaker recently, but this one makes a lot of sense since DQXI is coming out for the Switch.

4. Doomguy - Bethesda and Nintendo have a pretty healthy relationship that was kindled early on in the Switch's life. I would be surprised if we don't see some representation from Bethesda and who makes more sense than Doomguy?

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Absolutely. Main character of a game that is huge in japan and has a good history with nintendo.

exactly like tetriminos ....
What about the Square Enix relationship though?
They seemingly didn't want any further Final Fantasy stuff in Ultimate to the point it's actually ridiculous, so I don't see how we could have another character from them.

Also, why Erdrick specifically? I don't know a thing about DQ, I'm just curious there.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They seemingly didn't want any further Final Fantasy stuff in Ultimate to the point it's actually ridiculous, so I don't see how we could have another character from them.

Also, why Erdrick specifically? I don't know a thing about DQ, I'm just curious there.
Could it be different people in charge of different IP's?

As for Erdrick as far as I can tell he seems to be the most iconic DQ protagonist.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Travis Touchdown is more possible than most would think. Nintendo specifically asked for Suda to be at the Switch Presentation, where he announced a new Travis Touchdown game. Part of me thinks Nintendo might be funding a No More Heroes 3 eventually.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Could it be different people in charge of different IP's?

As for Erdrick as far as I can tell he seems to be the most iconic DQ protagonist.

I always find that the female protagonist with the big poofy green hair is way more unique looking than Erdrick, myself. But the fact I don't even know which DQ game she's from speaks to how interchangeable the main characters in those games tend to be.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Erdrick is a major character in the first 3 DQs, it's legendary status is referenced in lots of other DQ games and is the character that the animes usually based, specially the famous headband

mgquDqi.png

Oct 27, 2017

Erdrick is the main character of Dragon Quest III, the most beloved game in Japan, and the first three games are basically a trilogy about him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Erdrick is a major character in the first 3 DQs, it's legendary status is referenced in lots of other DQ games and is the character that the animes usually based, specially the famous headband

mgquDqi.png

I still think that headband looks like they're wearing underpants or a very fancy chastity belt on their heads.

Nov 18, 2017
I think Travis Touchdown is more possible than most would think. Nintendo specifically asked for Suda to be at the Switch Presentation, where he announced a new Travis Touchdown game. Part of me thinks Nintendo might be funding a No More Heroes 3 eventually.

I think you're right but it means they're going to waste a slot in one of the most popular franchises on a character from a franchise that sells very little. When there still massive franchises missing Smash representation.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think you're right but it means they're going to waste a slot in one of the most popular franchises on a character from a franchise that sells very little. When there still massive franchises missing Smash representation.
If you mean first party, there aren't a ton of franchises that aren't either dead/dormant, wouldn't sell that well as DLC, or stuck in the Assist Trophy Shadow Realm (or any combination of the three). If you mean third party franchises, the possibilities are pretty vast, even if you limit it to franchises that appeared on a Nintendo system at least once.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Since Nintendo had a say in who is in I'm expecting all the characters to be promoting something.
If all of these are are from third party sources I'd say that:

1- Joker - P5 Switch?
2- DQ character (Erdrick?) - DQ XI S
3- Steve - Minecraft
4- Jibanyan - Yokai Watch 4
5- Monster Hunter - Maybe a new MH title for Switch is in the pipeline?

Are a likely scenario.

If anything from Nintendo is in I'd say that Sylux (MP4?) and Porky (Mother 3 port) are possible.
FE Three Houses and Pokémon Gen 8 are up in the air but their franchises aren't really in need of more representation so I'd say that they aren't as likely.
Arms and Xenoblade 2 don't need any promotion anymore and probably missed the boat for this iteration.

Jan 9, 2018
how long is going to take to release all 5 characters? because if it is around 1 year, I can see the last character revealed to be one of the starters of the next pokemon, the timing would make a lot of sense, even though maybe is a bit too short notice to develop it as a fighter?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
how long is going to take to release all 5 characters? because if it is around 1 year, I can see the last character revealed to be one of the starters of the next pokemon, the timing would make a lot of sense, even though maybe is a bit too short notice to develop it as a fighter?
According to the November Smash Direct, the Fighters Pass should go up to February 2020.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if there all third parties here's a guess from me.

1. Monster Hunter
2. Erdrick
3. Travis Touchdown(Just let me have this.)
4. Banjo and Kazooie

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
So if there all third parties here's a guess from me.

1. Monster Hunter
2. Erdrick
3. Travis Touchdown(Just let me have this.)
4. Banjo and Kazooie

That's my list too, why?

1. We already got a Monster Hunter boss in Smash with a stage, Monster Hunter is huge. It makes to much sense.
2. Dragon Quest is massive in Japan and has a huge presence on Nintendo systems, and with the latest rumour I 100% believe he will be in
3. Suda51 really wants him in and with the upcoming Travis Strikes Again, he could represent indie games
4. I mean, everyone wants Banjo in. Nintendo fans, Phil Spencer, he is the one missing character that is heavily connected to Nintendo that would create a huge shock in everyone.

Now, I believe there will be a pack 2 as well, here is my list.

Pact 2:

1. Crash Bandicoot - He's a big character that is now starting out again, most of the Crash games have been on Nintendo systems now with Crash Trilogy and Crash Team Racing coming next year.

2. Sora from Kingdom Hearts - He also is a huge character and with the next big entry in the series coming out next month he makes perfect sense, I believe in the rumour that Square Enix is looking into a Switch version of KH3. His character trailer as well could be really creative as well.

3. Doomguy from DOOM - As everyone says, Nintendo and Bethesda have a great relationship and it's time that there are more western IP's in Smash.

4. Spyro - Spyro Trilogy is coming to Switch, it was leaked on the site and insiders confirmed it, just like Crash Bandicoot he is getting is comeback.

5. Impa from The Legend of Zelda - I know this might not be the most hyped character since everyone else is a third party character BUT, Zelda needs new reps and Impa makes sense.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm 100% sure that its going to be something like this:

Joker
Erdrick
Capcom rep (Dante/Monster Hunter/etc)
Tekken rep
One of the companies represented above will double dip for the final character

If you're expecting anything wildly different from this, you're gonna be disappointed.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Now, I believe there will be a pack 2 as well, here is my list.
If we actually get a 'Fighters Pass 2', I think Waluigi and Isaac are shoe-ins. I don't particularly care about either of them ever making it in, but I think Nintendo definitely recognised the fan reaction and outcry in response to those two being Assist Trophies and will eventually respond to it (whether it be this Smash or the next one). I could easily see them becoming playable (despite their role in the base game).

On that note, If Geno isn't the Square Enix rep this time around (which is looking pretty likely) I could see him making it into the second batch.