• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's the Year of Our Lord 2020, a toggle exists in the menu to display echoes as alt costumes if you desire, and people are still whinging about Dark Pit taking Waluigi's slot.

What a world.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the Year of Our Lord 2020, a toggle exists in the menu to display echoes as alt costumes if you desire, and people are still whinging about Dark Pit taking Waluigi's slot.

What a world.

Don't judge me.

I'm only mad that we got Chrom instead of Kumatora or Tetra.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure a big part of Chrom making it in was his model in Robin's Final Smash, which also explains why he looks kind of low quality.

Unless we're talking about Ganondorf, then it's fine to axe him for a completely different character with the same name.

If you say that you understand what's the issue in the first place. To many Zelda fans the Ganondorf in Smash just doesn't feel like Ganondorf, and yet he's there basically stopping us from getting an actual Zelda character. I liked his inclusion in Melee because I understood he was just a cool extra, but the fact that his inclusion became handcuffs tying all subsequent games to preserve him is just a huge mistake.

Smash Ganondorf is essentially a Waluigi (Multiplayer character fodder) and yet he has priority over the actual final boss people remember.

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I see the doom and gloom of "how could Smash possibly move on from Ultimate?!" has come back.

It'll be fine.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
cutting characters sounds like something a swordsman would do with their sword
not sure why everyone wants it so much
who wouldn't want these guys
switch_snipperclips_db7kfa.png

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They brought Back Ocarina of Time Ganondorf.

he's now perfect. Tho I wouldn't mind an Alt for his twilight Princess look. Even if I don't care for that design.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's an interesting fact that no one asked for. In the Japanese version of Melee, Poke Floats is actually called "Pokemon Subspace" so the Pokemon you fight on weren't originally intended to be balloons or anything, you were just fighting on top of Pokemon in some weird dimension.
Huh. No wonder they were weirdly animated.

I still want Poke Floats 2, though! LET'S GO, BABY!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Who would Tetra even be an echo of?

Would it be like one of those horrific SFM things where they drop her small model on Sheik's rigging and she moves like a stretched-out nightmare demon?
Tetra would echo Toon Link. I can already see her using Toon Link's new forward-Smash with that scimitar of hers.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I still believe they could've done "EVERYONE IS HERE" without bringing Young Link back

perfectly legal

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I still believe they could've done "EVERYONE IS HERE" without bringing Young Link back

perfectly legal
Yeah, most people always assumed Toon Link was an updated Young Link. And it's not like the other Zelda characters got the Ike treatment where their previous versions made it in as alternate models either.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If you say that you understand what's the issue in the first place. To many Zelda fans the Ganondorf in Smash just doesn't feel like Ganondorf, and yet he's there basically stopping us from getting an actual Zelda character.
And to this Zelda fan, one that has continued to play Ganondorf in Smash since Melee, the "Mage Ganondorf" overhaul that some desperately crave isn't really a thrilling prospect.

Smash's Ganondorf has been established for almost as long as the character himself. In-fact, Ganondorf has been in more Smash installments than actual Zelda games. He started out as a Falcon clone due to Melee's rushed development, and evolved to have his own distinct identity from both his base and his home series. It really gets tiring to see people, almost 20 years after his introduction to Smash, still upset over the inclusion "Falcondorf".

I get that people want him to be closer to his canon "appearances" (and by that, I mean most people just want OoT Ganondorf; Wind Waker and Twilight Princess be damned) but at this point the time and energy would be better used simply asking for another Zelda character. People need to accept that there are in fact people, and even Zelda fans, who like his current portrayal; and Sakurai's choices in previous Smash games have made it clear that he isn't interested in complete overhauls of anyone on the roster (for better or for worse). Luigi and Falco are, at their core, and despite the changes to their movesets over time, still the same general character they were in Smash 64 and Melee.

If you want a mage Zelda villain in Smash, rally for Vaati instead. Actually, PLEASE, rally for Vaati; he really needs it.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Smash has always considered Toon Link to be a separate character from Young Link, going back to Brawl's Event Matches counting him as a Brawl newcomer. Young Link was always going to come back on a technicality when "Everyone is here" was in play.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda fans should do what Metroid and Donkey Kong fans did for their series only for a new character instead of a sword that Ganondorf never actually used.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
And to this Zelda fan, one that has continued to play Ganondorf in Smash since Melee, the "Mage Ganondorf" overhaul that some desperately crave isn't really a thrilling prospect.

Smash's Ganondorf has been established for almost as long as the character himself. In-fact, Ganondorf has been in more Smash installments than actual Zelda games. He started out as a Falcon clone due to Melee's rushed development, and evolved to have his own distinct identity from both his base and his home series. It really gets tiring to see people, almost 20 years after his introduction to Smash, still upset over the inclusion "Falcondorf".

I get that people want him to be closer to his canon "appearances" (and by that, I mean most people just want OoT Ganondorf; Wind Waker and Twilight Princess be damned) but at this point the time and energy would be better used simply asking for another Zelda character. People need to accept that there are in fact people, and even Zelda fans, who like his current portrayal.

If you want a mage Zelda villain in Smash, rally for Vaati instead. Actually, PLEASE, rally for Vaati; he really needs it.
Vaati will finally get his turn in Nintendo vs. Capcom

Those years of stanning him will surely pay off

Zelda fans should do what Metroid and Donkey Kong fans did for their series only for a new character instead of a sword that Ganondorf never actually used.
No we need to keep going, if he get's a second sword he'll suddenly be Toon Ganon.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Smash has always considered Toon Link to be a separate character from Young Link, going back to Brawl's Event Matches counting him as a Brawl newcomer. Young Link was always going to come back on a technicality when "Everyone is here" was in play.

Yeah, Young Link was the only character from Melee to not have another appearance until now in Ultimate. Sheik & Ganondorf have always been in every iteration since Melee, yet they had Toon Link replace Young Link entirely.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I get that people want him to be closer to his canon "appearances" (and by that, I mean most people just want OoT Ganondorf; Wind Waker and Twilight Princess be damned) but at this point the time and energy would be better used simply asking for another Zelda character. People need to accept that there are in fact people, and even Zelda fans, who like his current portrayal; and Sakurai's choices in previous Smash games have made it clear that he isn't interested in complete overhauls of anyone on the roster (for better or for worse). Luigi and Falco are, at their core, and despite the changes to their movesets over time, still the same general character they were in Smash 64 and Melee.

Personally I usually push for a "Ganon" playable character, but it's just useless to attempt to make for any "push" when there clearly isn't a strong enough unified voice. The one rallying cry that really exists is a rejection for the current Ganondorf, even if there are people who enjoy him. Like I said above, it's silly when what's essentially Smash's Waluigi, a character added as roster filler, is taking the spot of an actual relevant Zelda character while still counting as Zelda representation.

The hype for the sword was largely generated by Smash itself due to his intro picture and one of the Melee victory screens, which made it feel like he was "missing" it when fighting in Smash.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

This is the problem with Zelda reps: fans just move onto the new hotness every Smash. That and Tingle backlash, we could have had Tingle, you guys!!!

Everyone wanted Midna and then everyone wanted whatsisface with the tongue and the sword from SS and then they argued over which Champion deserved it most and people keep bringing up Vaati because he's technically been in a bunch even if Nintendo seems to forget he exists. If you want a new Zelda rep you have to unite around a single character for 10+ years like Metroid and DK fans did.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Tingle backlash will forever be my least favorite thing about Zelda fans. Club Nintendo users voting AGAINST having the Tingle games localized will never be something I get over.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is the problem with Zelda reps: fans just move onto the new hotness every Smash. That and Tingle backlash, we could have had Tingle, you guys!!!

Everyone wanted Midna and then everyone wanted whatsisface with the tongue and the sword from SS and then they argued over which Champion deserved it most and people keep bringing up Vaati because he's technically been in a bunch even if Nintendo seems to forget he exists. If you want a new Zelda rep you have to unite around a single character for 10+ years like Metroid and DK fans did.
As far as Midna goes, the issue there was the Assist Trophy. Once that was confirmed a lot of the demand died, which is why it changed mostly to Skullkid for a while... until he also was confirmed as an assist trophy in Ultimate, so people also gave up.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Tingle is like reverse Waluigi.
...this is insanely accurate, now that i'm thinking about it.

Waluigi is: a character introduced in a Mario spin-off because they had no good ideas for Wario's tennis doubles partner, who has no actual major appearances (let alone a game to call his own), but people would LOVE for him to be in Smash.

Tingle is: a character introduced in a main series Zelda game, appeared in a few more, then got three whole spin-off titles to his name, but Nintendo fans essentially killed the character and his chances for Smash by having bad taste.

We live in an unjust world.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Ed Boon would be down with Scorpion in Smash and would consider it to be an honour. Though he clarified he's only speaking for himself and not Warner Brothers. But could you imagine if say both Scorpion and Sora were part of the fighter pass? That would mean we'd have a Nintendo game with Microsoft, Warner Brothers, and Disney in the title screen credits.

The only other major crossovers between Disney and Warner Brothers have been Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and the Star Wars cameos in Ready Player One and The Lego Movie. The Lego Star Wars and Marvel games are made by WB Games but I wouldn't consider them crossovers.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
...this is insanely accurate, now that i'm thinking about it.

Waluigi is: a character introduced in a Mario spin-off because they had no good ideas for Wario's tennis doubles partner, who has no actual major appearances (let alone a game to call his own), but people would LOVE for him to be in Smash.

Tingle is: a character introduced in a main series Zelda game, appeared in a few more, then got three whole spin-off titles to his name, but Nintendo fans essentially killed the character and his chances for Smash by having bad taste.

We live in an unjust world.
the real question is would Tingle and Waluigi be friends

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Quotes from Tingle's Wikipedia page.
When development for Twilight Princess began, IGN hoped that game directors Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma would not include the character, saying "we're not going to stand for him in another Zelda game".

Fan distaste for Tingle led to his exclusion from Twilight Princess.

Tingle ranked sixth on GameDaily's top 10 ugliest game characters list, stating that his face looks out of place. GamesRadar described him as "Zelda's Jar Jar".

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I wanted Tingle and Groose in Hyrule Warriors and got neither of them in the base game and one of them never ended up getting in :(

Status
Not open for further replies.