• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Tingle hatred is filed in the same folder as Wind Waker and Link's Awakening Remake art style hatred, and that folder is called "Never listen to Zelda fans ever about anything"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Tingle hatred is filed in the same folder as Wind Waker and Link's Awakening Remake art style hatred, and that folder is called "Never listen to Zelda fans ever about anything"
Don't tell anyone, but i've heard that they file the Falcondorf complaints in the same folder ;)

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Honestly, I feel like Tingle hatred has died down considerably. Could be due to him being in the games less, but he showed up as DLC for Hyrule Warriors without any real stink being raised about it. I think it's about time he showed up in another Zelda game proper. BOTW2 would be good, considering the game's spiritual predecessor is where he originated in the first place.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be totally okay with Tingle. He's got a lot of personality.

Ed Boon would be down with Scorpion in Smash and would consider it to be an honour. Though he clarified he's only speaking for himself and not Warner Brothers. But could you imagine if say both Scorpion and Sora were part of the fighter pass? That would mean we'd have a Nintendo game with Microsoft, Warner Brothers, and Disney in the title screen credits.

The only other major crossovers between Disney and Warner Brothers have been Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and the Star Wars cameos in Ready Player One and The Lego Movie. The Lego Star Wars and Marvel games are made by WB Games but I wouldn't consider them crossovers.

Scorpion would be great. I'd love if his teleport somehow kept the "behind you" aspect instead of acting like other teleports in Smash.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Scorpion would be great. I'd love if his teleport somehow kept the "behind you" aspect instead of acting like other teleports in Smash.

Nah. There are much better characters to choose for Smash than ones from Mortal Kombat.

Japanese Smash fans wouldn't identify with any of them like with Banjo. If we were to get another Western rep, I'd go for Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, I just realised that I haven't posted much about Yumetaro recently.

But when Gimmick! is announced for Switch Online, I PROMISE, i'll obnoxiously post about them for at least a week.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
it's great that Nintendo's Switch Online pulls make Gimmick! seem like an actual possibility
It's a shame that some people just don't understand that we're secretly in the best timeline; one where obscure classics are actually getting the spotlight.

The fact that they've used actual good games like Crystalis and Shadow of the Ninja before resorting to Urban Champion is simply amazing.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Now that you mention it; I wonder if Wolf Link, Epona, Medli, Ganon, Inkwell, Cece, Viché, Felyne and the Sanrio villagers will return in New Horizons.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
im not sober enough for this post
It's a serious post though (well, mostly; listing them all out helped point out the absurdity of all of the crossover villagers they added in the Welcome Amiibo update).

We know New Horizons has amiibo support, so I guess the Direct will tell us if there's any equivalent to the Campground + RVs.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the Sanrio villagers eventually showed up in Pocket Camp, along with a bunch of Sanrio items

they can't take them away from me now

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. There are much better characters to choose for Smash than ones from Mortal Kombat.

Japanese Smash fans wouldn't identify with any of them like with Banjo. If we were to get another Western rep, I'd go for Crash Bandicoot.
I'm not sure why that's relevant. I'm not saying Scorpion is likely, I'm saying it would be great if he was in.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whats with u and creepy creatures
Now you made me realize what I really want for Smash.
dcheader.png

(Shamed they're owned by THQ Nordic)

Because that's Smash's main fanbase/demographic.
Okay, but why is this relevant to what I said?

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Quotes from Tingle's Wikipedia page.
When development for Twilight Princess began, IGN hoped that game directors Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma would not include the character, saying "we're not going to stand for him in another Zelda game".

Fan distaste for Tingle led to his exclusion from Twilight Princess.

Tingle ranked sixth on GameDaily's top 10 ugliest game characters list, stating that his face looks out of place. GamesRadar described him as "Zelda's Jar Jar".
This is, no joke, why I still hate IGN to this day. It's awful that essentially a handful of writers for various publicatins became the spokemen for the Zelda fanbase when likely none of them are even big Zelda fans.

Oh and it's worth noting IGN's hate for Tingle was drenched in homophobia.

Dear Nintendo rep with the unfortuante job of having to read this thread.

Scrap all your records on Tingle feedback and start again. This time knowing actual Zelda fans love Tingle.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You can tell IGN were of a high professional standard just based on the title of their "campaign against Tingle" alone.

Wonder why they decided to edit this amazing article written by "IGN Staff" (my favourite writer on the site!) in 2012; 8 years after it was posted.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
undercooked idea of the day

who would win popularity contest between Tingle and Mem... I mean, erm... Tingle and Mighty No. 9

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
In the hypothetical case of the remaining cut stages returning through an update/stage pack, how do you think they would handle:
  • Meta Crystal - would it even be brought back? If they show favouritism for this one single player stage, what's the excuse for not bringing back stages from Melee and Brawl's Adventure Modes?
  • Flat Zone 1 and Flat Zone 2 - despite Flat Zone X existing, would these two stages be brought back anyway, just to say they have them all?
  • Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 - would they even remember to include it? If it did return, would it get a separate slot/name or would it be bundled with 1-1 again like in Brawl?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Does Melee's Adventure mode have any stages that people want as Smash stages?

There's the part in Mushroom Kingdom where you fight the Yoshis but that's just a flat column with two platforms and then there's the chambers in the underground dungeon from the Zelda part but when those become stages they are pretty much a flat stage with various platform formations in a void so literally something you can make in stage builder lol. The rest I'm pretty sure are just stage regular stages or not even viable like the Metroid escape sequence.

When stage builder came out there were lots of attempts to recreate Meta Crystal. On the other hand I've yet to see some remake a Zelda chamber. Probably a good indicator of where the demand is.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
i ain't gonna lie the only stage I actually like that was introduced in Ultimate is King of Fighters stadium, and that's just a fighting game stage.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Does Melee's Adventure mode have any stages that people want as Smash stages?

There's the part in Mushroom Kingdom where you fight the Yoshis but that's just a flat column with two platforms and then there's the chambers in the underground dungeon from the Zelda part but when those become stages they are pretty much a flat stage with various platform formations in a void so literally something you can make in stage builder lol. The rest I'm pretty sure are just stage regular stages or not even viable like the Metroid escape sequence.

When stage builder came out there were lots of attempts to recreate Meta Crystal. On the other hand I've yet to see some remake a Zelda chamber. Probably a good indicator of where the demand is.
A Metroid escape sequence is the vertical scrolling stage we need though.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
i ain't gonna lie the only stage I actually like that was introduced in Ultimate is King of Fighters stadium, and that's just a fighting game stage.
I like Yggdrasil's Altar and Spiral Mountain, although I wish hazardless Spiral Mountain had a better layout

But really, compared to Smash 4 Wii U, the new stages in Ultimate are all really good. Garegg Mach Monastery is like the only dud, and it's mostly just because it's boring, not that it has some kind of super annoying hazards or changes literally every 5 seconds or some of the other crazy stuff Smash 4 stages did.

But Yggdrasil's Altar is one of my favorite stages in the series. It's just so cool to look at after you've played Dragon Quest XI and I love DQ music, even if they are midis.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
looking back, it is kinda weird Smash 64 didn't let you pick Duel Zone, Master Hand's Residence or Meta Crystal as stages

The three stages were fully playable and had music, so not letting the player use them was kind of arbitrary, don't you think?

Aug 12, 2019
I like Yggdrasil's Altar and Spiral Mountain, although I wish hazardless Spiral Mountain had a better layout

But really, compared to Smash 4 Wii U, the new stages in Ultimate are all really good. Garegg Mach Monastery is like the only dud, and it's mostly just because it's boring, not that it has some kind of super annoying hazards or changes literally every 5 seconds or some of the other crazy stuff Smash 4 stages did.

But Yggdrasil's Altar is one of my favorite stages in the series. It's just so cool to look at after you've played Dragon Quest XI and I love DQ music, even if they are midis.

Glad to see another fan of Yggdrasil's Altar as I feel far too many fans downplay it. It's just a really solid stage for people who have played Dragon Quest XI to any degree and while it doesn't have many fancy bells and whistles, it's such a beautiful and straightforward stage that works really well.

Also, yeah, Dragon Quest music in MIDI form is something you're either fine with or absolutely hate. I fall into the former category because War Cry and Adventure are both really solid song choices.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
looking back, it is kinda weird Smash 64 didn't let you pick Duel Zone, Master Hand's Residence or Meta Crystal as stages

The three stages were fully playable and had music, so not letting the player use them was kind of arbitrary, don't you think?
I feel like single player exclusive stages were in vogue around then

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I literally never want to play on Yggdrasil's Altar because the music is just so fucking awful and a chore to listen to. Fuck Sugiyama.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Glad to see another fan of Yggdrasil's Altar as I feel far too many fans downplay it. It's just a really solid stage for people who have played Dragon Quest XI to any degree and while it doesn't have many fancy bells and whistles, it's such a beautiful and straightforward stage that works really well.

Also, yeah, Dragon Quest music in MIDI form is something you're either fine with or absolutely hate. I fall into the former category because War Cry and Adventure are both really solid song choices.
The only midis that I find really bad are the DQXI ones. Those songs are mediocre on their own, but the samples used for the midis just make them worse. There's just no excuse for a modern JRPG of 11's size to be stuck with such poor quality music (until the Switch remaster).

I'm so used to the those specific midis from III and IV being in every spinoff ever that I don't mind them. And I guess they're not even spin off exclusive anymore, since I noticed they're used in the Switch port of III as well, where they work just fine.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I literally never want to play on Yggdrasil's Altar because the music is just so fucking awful and a chore to listen to. Fuck Sugiyama.
Real talk: Even if it was all fully orchestrated and Sugiyama was the nicest person in all of Japan, I'd still hate Dragon Quest music.

I just don't like the compositions at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.