• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Every character I went in wanting to play is either complete ass or I'm unable to grasp.

I might as well give up and try one of those Marth unga bungas at this rate. My best character is Ness; I clearly have no dignity.
That's the issue. You've probably been a Ness main all your life, so you can't switch up. You can only main Ness if that's the only character you play, but if you don't main Ness, you'll never be able to grasp him. He's just that complex.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I can't just stick to one character. I already love Young Link and Cloud, but R.O.B. just looks so fun to play too. This is why I'm bad at this game!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It'll probably be fine. Hopefully.
*Looks at Atlus' output for the last decade*

2dmk14.jpg

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I played as Dedede online for the first time in months, he's been squatting in elite smash as one of three characters still in there that I don't use much allowing me to feel big and important with a shiny banner.

And now I remember why I don't use him, I'm not sure what they did to him in this game but he's like no fun to me at all, it's like having all the attributes of an ultra heavy with none of the fun quirks unless you're really into crouching and the tilt that comes with it, I'm hitting shields with a sweetspot hammer smash and making the most pitiful dent (somewhere Byleth mocks me), inhale is like a reflector that punishes yourself and otherwise his hammer hits with no impact at all taking the oomph out of his entire moveset
This isn't even a "grah, sour grapes, MAH META" or anything, this is me just being puzzled as to how he just feels so....drab, unsatisfying

Basically I'm wondering if anyone else feels that ol' Dedede feels off in this entry, once again I'm not so much talking about viability, just how he feels to use in general.

Every character I went in wanting to play is either complete ass or I'm unable to grasp.

I might as well give up and try one of those Marth unga bungas at this rate. My best character is Ness; I clearly have no dignity.
You'll probably find a horrible twist that unga bunga-ing as those guys is harder than it initially looks (maybe), not that I've tried myself admittedly (though finally trying the online Chrombo tempts me more every day, I do play a bit of Ike mind you who is halfway to the bunga party)

I mainly say this because I thought I'd try Zelda online for the first time yesterday thinking "this'll be EZZZZZ" and apparently she's not quite as immediately dumb as I thought, who knew?
Grass is always greener really, though I can relate to feeling your mains woes when you have a bad matchup.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I thought P5 was fine aside from the not great pacing and main plot in the latter half, that and the shitty stuff that we're all aware of. Game's decent imo.

Can't speak for Apocalypse but I also liked SMT4.
I mean that's fine. I disagree (I think everything after the first dungeon is mediocre to bad) but I was more referring to how SMT has slowly moved into a Persona-inspired direction and how SMT 5 will likely continue the trend.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I played as Dedede online for the first time in months, he's been squatting in elite smash as one of three characters still in there that I don't use much allowing me to feel big and important with a shiny banner.

And now I remember why I don't use him, I'm not sure what they did to him in this game but he's like no fun to me at all, it's like having all the attributes of an ultra heavy with none of the fun quirks unless you're really into crouching and the tilt that comes with it, I'm hitting shields with a sweetspot hammer smash and making the most pitiful dent (somewhere Byleth mocks me), inhale is like a reflector that punishes yourself and otherwise his hammer hits with no impact at all taking the oomph out of his entire moveset
This isn't even a "grah, sour grapes, MAH META" or anything, this is me just being puzzled as to how he just feels so....drab, unsatisfying

Basically I'm wondering if anyone else feels that ol' Dedede feels off in this entry, once again I'm not so much talking about viability, just how he feels to use in general.

On the contrary I like D3 as much as in 4, as in hes my go to character for laggy online matches. Down B is immense and you don't need to charge it.

Jun 11, 2019
I mean that's fine. I disagree (I think everything after the first dungeon is mediocre to bad) but I was more referring to how SMT has slowly moved into a Persona-inspired direction and how SMT 5 will likely continue the trend.
Yeah, I think I see what you mean, atleast from what I've heard about Apocalypse and Strange Journey Redux.

My hope is that if they're going in that direction it's as far as it's just more character-centric. Not so much as there's a calender system(which I'm mostly ambivalent to) or dating sim elements.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of interesting that three of the twelve characters in the original Smash had really gimmicky recoveries--Jigglypuff and Yoshi's up specials don't help in recovery, Jigglypuff relies on multi jumps and Pound while Yoshi has a super midair jump, while Ness has his goofy PK Thunder shenanigans. Outside of Lucas reusing Ness's gimmick and the occasional dabbling in tether recoveries this isn't something they have delved into much more in the rest of the series to really anywhere near the same degree as those first three.

Even Yoshi's up special now assists in recovery a bit, so Jigglypuff is the weird outlier in having an up special that doesn't assist in recovery at all. With a cast of characters exceeding eighty you'd think it'd be a gimmick well they would have returned to by now but it's been basically abandoned for new characters since the first game.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah, I think I see what you mean, atleast from what I've heard about Apocalypse and Strange Journey Redux.

My hope is that if they're going in that direction it's as far as it's just more character-centric. Not so much as there's a calender system(which I'm mostly ambivalent to) or dating sim elements.
Though to be fair, SMT has been on the cusp of demon dating for a while now.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I wonder if they realized that events with new spirits get more attention than the regular spirit board events, so they'll be leaning into them a lot more in the future.

Could the days of "characters with funny hats!" spirit board events be over?! Or would that event just have a Hat Kid spirit tossed in?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if they realized that events with new spirits get more attention than the regular spirit board events, so they'll be leaning into them a lot more in the future.

Could the days of "characters with funny hats!" spirit board events be over?! Or would that event have a Hat Kid spirit tossed in?
It seems like that's been the case for awhile. The first 6 months of the game we had like 3 spirit events with new spirits, now we get new spirits on an almost weekly basis.

That might actually be the real reason they made new spirit events server side and not client side (not to prevent leaks), so they could do more of them. They seem to drive some level of social media engagement and encourage people to play Smash every weekend.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Might as well post an updated news post list in this downtime; i'm sure at least one person finds this interesting.

1. SPIRIT BOARD EVENT:
1001 - [Event] A Spectacle to Behold!
1002 - [Event] Fire Emblem Fest - Part 1
1003 - [Event] Oh Yeah! Mario Time!
1004 - [Event] Now You're Playing With Spirit Power!
1005 - [Event] Double EXP and SP!
1006 - [Event] Fire Emblem Fest - Part 2
1007 - [Event] Metroidmania
1008 - [Event] The More the Merrier
1009 - [Event] Metal Heroes, Unite!
1010 - [Event] Well-Rounded Spirits
1011 - [Event] Power, Wisdom and Courage
1012 - [Event] Kong Family Reunion!
1013 - [Event] Hard 'n' Heavy Metal
1014 - [Event] Taking the Lead
1015 - [Event] Green Is The New Black
1016 - [Event] Spring Snackfest!
1017 - [Event] Kings & Queens of the Sky
1018 - [Event] Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
1019 - N/A
1020 - [Event] Super Smash Sisters
1021 - [Event] Nintendo Labo: Smash Kit
1022 - [Event] The Right Staff
1023 - [Event] Castlevania: Spirit Nocturne
1024 - [Event] Tails You Win
1025 - [Event] Mum's the Word!
1026 - [Event] Suit Up!
1027 - [Event] Spirit Shield Slowdown
1028 - [Event] Making a Splash
1029 - [Event] Return to Koholint
1030 - [Event] Talk to the Cape!
1031 - [Event] Beware of Spikes
1032 - [Event] Squid Pro Quo
1033 - [Event] Triple EXP & SP!
1034 - [Event] Mother Series 30th Anniversary
1035 - N/A
1036 - [Event] Step on the Gas!
1037 - [Event] Change Your Fate!
1038 - [Event] Wisdom Comes With Age!
1039 - [Event] Arsenals at the ready! DAEMON X MACHINA
1040 - [Event] Autumn Snackfest!
1041 - [Event] Attack of the Tetriminos!
1042 - [Event] Smash by the Sword
1043 - [Event] New Galar Region Pokémon Discovered!
1044 - [Event] SSB Ultimate Is One Year Old!
1045 - [Event] Ready? Wallop!
1046 - [Event] Oust the Resident Evil!
1047 - [Event] Off the Chain
1048 - [Event] River City Smash
1049 - [Event] Comfy and Easy To Wear
1050 - [Event] Spirits in Black

2. GENERAL NEWS:
2001 - Special Present: Pikachu and Eevee Spirits
2002 - Spirit Present - Partner Pikachu
2003 - Spirit Present - Partner Eevee
2004 - Software update available: Ver. 1.1.0
2005 - Downloading Piranha Plant as an early purchase bonus
2006 - Fighters Pass now available for purchase!
2007 - Version 1.2.0 Coming Soon
2008 - Software update available: Ver. 1.2.0
2009 - Software update available: Ver. 1.2.1
2010 - [Reminder] Downloading Piranha Plant as an early purchase bonus
2011 - Version 2.0.0 Coming Soon
2012 - Software update available: Ver. 2.0.0
2013 - Piranha Plant now available!
2014 - 1st Smash Art Dojo contest results
2015 - Software update available: Ver. 2.0.1
2016 - Software update available: Ver. 3.0.0
2017 - Joker Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
2018 - Fighters Pass available for purchase! (Content update)
2019 - Persona 3 Protagonist Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2020 - Persona 4 Protagonist Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2021 - Teddie Hat now available for purchase!
2022 - Morgana Hat now available for purchase!
2023 - Tails Hat + Outfit now available for purchase!
2024 - Knuckles Hat + Outfit now available for purchase!
2025 - Software update available: Ver. 2.0.2
2026 - 2nd Smash Art Dojo contest results! 3rd contest now open!
2027 - Software update available: Ver. 3.0.1
2028 - 3rd Smash Art Dojo contest results!
2029 - Planned software update: Ver. 3.1.0
2030 - Software update available: Ver. 3.1.0
2031 - 4th Smash Art Dojo contest results!
2032 - 5th Smash Art Dojo contest results!
2033 - Planned software update: Ver. 4.0.0
2034 - Software update available: Ver. 4.0.0
2035 - Hero Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
2036 - Fighters Pass available for purchase! (Content update ②)
2037 - Erdrick's Helmet + Armour now available for purchase!
2038 - Martial Artist Wig + Gi now available for purchase!
2039 - Veronica's Hat + Outfit now available for purchase!
2040 - Slime Hat now available for purchase!
2041 - Banjo & Kazooie Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
2042 - Fighters Pass available for purchase! (Content update ③)
2043 - Team Rocket Hat + Outfit now available for purchase!
2044 - Sans Mask + Outfit now available for purchase!
2045 - Goemon Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2046 - Proto Man's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
2047 - Zero's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
2048 - Software update available: Ver. 5.0.0
2049 - Special Present: Tockles Spirit
2050 - Spirit Present - Tockles Spirit
2051 - Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members
2052 - Terry Bogard Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
2053 - Fighters Pass available for purchase! (Content update ④)
2054 - Ryo Sakazaki Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2055 - Nakoruru Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2056 - Iori Yagami Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2057 - Akira Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2058 - Jacky Wig + Outfit now available for purchase!
2059 - Online Tourneys: Entry Rule Change
2060 - Planned software update: Ver. 6.0.0
2061 - Software update available: Ver. 6.0.0
2062 - Online Tourneys: Entry Rule Change
2063 - N/A
2064 - Planned software update: Ver. 6.1.0
2065 - Software update available: Ver. 6.1.0
2066 - Software update available: Ver. 6.1.1
2067 - Planned software update: Ver. 7.0.0
2068 - 6th Smash Art Dojo contest results!
2069 - Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members
2070 - Software update available: Ver. 7.0.0
2071 - Fighters Pass available for purchase! (Content update ⑤)
2072 - Byleth Challenger Pack now available for purchase!
2073 - Cuphead Hat + Outfit now available for purchase!
2074 - Altaïr Hood + Outfit now available for purchase!
2075 - Rabbids Hat now available for purchase!
2076 - X's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
2077 - MegaMan.EXE's Helmet + Armor now available for purchase!
2078 - Fighters Pass Vol. 2 now available for purchase!
2079 - 7th Smash Art Dojo contest results!

3. LINE NEWS:
3001 - You can view the Help menu by opening the Dashboard ZR …
3002 - Challenge players from around the world in Online mode! …
3003 - Piranha Plant joins the battle! …
3004 - Create your own custom stages in Stage Builder! …
3005 - Joker from Persona 5 is finally available to purchase! …
3006 - VR mode is now available …
3007 - Hero from DRAGON QUEST XI S is now available for purchase! …
3008 - Online Tourney mode has been added! …
3009 - Banjo & Kazooie from the Banjo-Kazooie series are now available to buy! …
3010 - Now you can play Home-Run Contest mode! …
3011 - Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake amiibo figures are now available!
3012 - Terry Bogard from the FATAL FURY series joins the battle! …
3013 - Simon, Incineroar and Chrom amiibo figures are now available!
3014 - Dark Samus and Richter amiibo figures are now available to purchase!
3015 - Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses is now available for purchase! …

4. EVENT TOURNEYS:
4001 - [Event] Heroes VS Villains
4002 - [Event] Original Class of '64
4003 - [Event] The Ultimate Partnership
4004 - [Event] The Next Big Super Star
4005 - [Event] Battle for Spirit Supremacy
4006 - [Event] Hefty Heavyweights
4007 - [Event] Mano a Mano
4008 - [Event] Pokémon Sword & Shield Launch!
4009 - [Event] Melee is Life
4010 - [Event] Club 30+ Clash
4011 - [Event] Teach Us, Teach! Weapon Training
4012 - [Event] Stand By Me, amiibo
4013 - N/A
4014 - [Event] Fighting in the Nineties
4015 - [Event] Gigantourney

CURRENTLY ABSENT POSTS: 1019, 1035, 2063, 4013

I'm willing to ask; is there anyone here who has kept track of all the pop-up news that appears when you start up Ultimate (possibly by taking screenshots)? I'm wondering if 2063 did happen, but just wasn't archived by SSBUBot (since it missed a few in the past).

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of interesting that three of the twelve characters in the original Smash had really gimmicky recoveries--Jigglypuff and Yoshi's up specials don't help in recovery, Jigglypuff relies on multi jumps and Pound while Yoshi has a super midair jump, while Ness has his goofy PK Thunder shenanigans. Outside of Lucas reusing Ness's gimmick and the occasional dabbling in tether recoveries this isn't something they have delved into much more in the rest of the series to really anywhere near the same degree as those first three.

Even Yoshi's up special now assists in recovery a bit, so Jigglypuff is the weird outlier in having an up special that doesn't assist in recovery at all. With a cast of characters exceeding eighty you'd think it'd be a gimmick well they would have returned to by now but it's been basically abandoned for new characters since the first game.
I thought about this the other day. Almost every character has a standard recovery. Some experimentation with recoveries would go a long way in making characters feel even more fresh.

Somewhat related, I feel spikes may have become cliche. Ultimate has not had a single newcomer without one. Smash 4's sole exception was Pac-Man, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Which characters could even theoretically have an atypical recovery? I'm talking about both characters already in the game and future inclusions.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which characters could even theoretically have an atypical recovery? I'm talking about both characters already in the game and future inclusions.
I'm not ready to put myself in the shoes of the man who pulled PK Thunder out of the aether. But I will say Reimu, or any Shmup character, wouldn't need an up special recovery. Arle could possibly bring something new.

To appreciate what we have, Byleth's footstool/spike was a completely original, left field idea. The only problem is the sheer priority it places on the ledge when off stage, making it difficult to actually grab an opponent.

Terry's recovery moves are not atypical individually, but work together as one of the most versatile kits in the game.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I want Kiryu and Phoenix Wright more than any other characters, and I don't even know what either of their recoveries could be. I guess Kiryu could have a generic uppercut or something, but that's lame and he deserves better.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm thinking TECHNICALLY Zero as an Assist Trophy and MMZ Zero as a DLC character could co-exist due to lore.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I want Kiryu and Phoenix Wright more than any other characters, and I don't even know what either of their recoveries could be. I guess Kiryu could have a generic uppercut or something, but that's lame and he deserves better.

Phoenix Wright would probably scream OBJECTION and use the power of his scream to launch himself into the air

You're never going to have to worry about what Kiryu's recovery will be because he will never be in Smash.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
How about a reference to the hit and run from Apollo Justice for Phoenix's recovery? Phoenix gets smacked by a car (or a vague shape that makes car noises if you don't wanna make a full car model for one move) that sends him flying up.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
How about a reference to the hit and run from Apollo Justice for Phoenix's recovery? Phoenix gets smacked by a car (or a vague shape that makes car noises if you don't wanna make a full car model for one move) that sends him flying up.
That would be pretty funny, especially if the car does damage to nearby opponents but doesn't hurt Wright. The man is near indestructible.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Kiryu could maybe borrow the drone from Judgment

jpg

There's a version with Kiryu's tattoo on it so it'd kinda work. Bit too similar to Snake's recovery though.

Another option could be the move where he smashes down a large object on the ground - just have him pull out a bike/TV/sign and propel himself up with it. Could have different animations depending on whether or not there's an opponent in front of him and if he's on the ground.

Other random options - he summons Hang-On and does a wheelie, Nugget helps him fly up like a Zelda cucco, he randomly sprouts Virtual On rocket boosters

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Another option could be the move where he smashes down a large object on the ground - just have him pull out a bike/TV/sign and propel himself up with it. Could have different animations depending on whether or not there's an opponent in front of him and if he's on the ground.
I picture this working kind of like Pac Man's hydrant except it would push Kiryu into the air, which would be neat.
Phoenix Wright's recovery should be him climbing a step-ladder.
I'd want this, except there's a 50-50 chance of it spawning a ladder or a step-ladder. Both function in the exact same way, except it gives an excuse to hound your friends when they call it the wrong thing.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, Kiryu's up special would probably just be an upwards punch rush or a flip kick -- a flashy martial arts move that isn't necessarily taken directly from Yakuza.

Status
Not open for further replies.