• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
What gets me is that Sword Art Online isn't even a thing anymore as far as I can tell and Kirito is still somehow more popular than fucking Goku.
SAO is still on-going (both light novel and anime); but regardless, I still wouldn't get that worked up over votes that were likely jokes (at least a majority of them).

Not that I know of. I think it is the case where his voice became synonymous with Kirito and with Bryce being highly prolific in dubs, people can't unhear Kirito.
I don't even know what his Kirito voice sounds like, so i'm safe from the association I guess.

Can't wait to hear Bryce in Smash as Makoto Naegi though.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just stage hazards? Nah; the stage needs to come with a fighter after all!
PdZFkFy.png

(ignore the fighter number; this was made in pre-Byleth days)
(Was this too obscure a reference?)

Nope. Glad folks have my back...fuck those starfish!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I do wonder sometimes what is with the smash fanbase saying what happened to X character's supporters. Smash has a flavour of the month going for any character pretty much so it makes them look super hypocritical.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Ok here is a hottake that peobably doesnt make much sense:
If Dante (or any other character from a spectacle fighter) is in fp2, they will be one of the first 3 because sakurai doesnt want a situation where a bayonetta like char dominates in the end with no balance patches to stop them.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If Dante (or any other character from a spectacle fighter) is in fp2, they will be one of the first 3 because sakurai doesnt want a situation where a bayonetta like char dominates in the end with no balance patches to stop them.
I have a hole in your hypothesis

Fighter pass 2 is going to have Dante, 2B, Ryu Hayabusa, and the Project G.G. protagonist.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

bayo got a patch, it just was a slap on the wrist. im guessing even after the final character drops in dec 2021 there will be at least one more patch

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Does Pac-Man's recovery count as a gimmick one?
I can actually see something like that happening, the weakest part is them predicting correctly who has most potential to be OP. For all we know they could learn their lesson with Bayonetta for Dante and then unleash, I dunno, Paper Mario.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
bayo got a patch, it just was a slap on the wrist. im guessing even after the final character drops in dec 2021 there will be at least one more patch

There will most likely be more balance patches and updates even after the last fighter is revealed.

I highly doubt they're going to drop support that quickly. The game would have only been out for 3 years by then, which is kind of short all things considered.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I finished the Ace Attorney trilogy and I want Phoenix more than anybody right now.
Or honestly, coffee throwing sword wielding Godot

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Give me Metropolis.
With the "Demon Trio" as hazards. 👀
I just beat Sonic 2 on the Switch last night and wow I forgot how annoying the last bit of the game is

Metropolis' enemies are really badly designed (and it's 3 acts for some reason??) and Sky Base Zone has a few bottomless pits with no warning. And then the Final Boss is 2 fights with sorta weird hitboxes and you don't get any rings.

Not sure how I beat this game when I was like 6

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Greninja is the most popular Pokemon!

10. Gengar
9. Gardevoir
8. Rayquaza
7. Garchomp
6. Sylveon
5. Umbreon
4. Charizard
3. Mimikyu
2. Lucario
1. Greninja

I honestly didn't think it was still that popular, but it beat out Charizard, Lucario, Gengar, etc

and lol the people who still think Lucario would ever be cut from Smash

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Touhou fans have gone full Resetera on freaking out over trademarks, a bunch of touhou stuff got trademarked but since Hakurei Shrine is the only location that got trademarked, that's because it's gonna be Reimu's stage in Ultimate!!

Not that i'm against it, i just love seeing Era's brand of hysteria spreading.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Mimikyu at #3 and Incineroar not in the top 10 makes me think that the means of selecting Pokemon for Smash could stand to be improved a little.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
eOb7VCy.png

Per fan made Smash rules of bipedal Pokémon only (shut up Ivysaur) and fighters needing ground contact, say hello to Toxtricity being your new Smash newcomer.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Touhou fans have gone full Resetera on freaking out over trademarks, a bunch of touhou stuff got trademarked but since Hakurei Shrine is the only location that got trademarked, that's because it's gonna be Reimu's stage in Ultimate!!

Not that i'm against it, i just love seeing Era's brand of hysteria spreading.
I'd love this just for the salt frankly. You thought people freaked out over Terry I could only imagine the outrage if Touhou got in.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Seeing Mimikyu at #3 and Incineroar not in the top 10 makes me think that the means of selecting Pokemon for Smash could stand to be improved a little.
They just choose whichever Pokemon TPC wants to push in the anime. Pretty much every Pokemon in Smash is like that (Pokemon Trainer and Pichu are the only real exceptions).

Sometimes that lines up with popularity like with Greninja but they don't use it as a metric.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Looking at the popular Alola Pokemon, it really does seem like they missed a chance to make Zeraora an echo of Lucario

It's surprisingly popular for a very late gen event Pokemon

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I have warmed up to Toxitricity after seeing it for a while, I'm still not a particular fan, as it often happens with Pokemon, but I'm no longer in the "just why do people like it" mode.

Not after I've seen that 4th place contender.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai is usually the one choosing which Pokémon to rep isn't he? I recall he said that Decidueye almost became the playable Gen 7 rep. If Nintendo decides on "new Pokémon" I could see this being the one candidate that Sakurai may have more of a choice on the matter of, since he values moveset variety. I think any reason to assume starters would be the front runners is because Pokémon has been kind of flunking for a while now with pseudo-legendaries or any other standouts. Recall that there was a time when very few expected Greninja to be in Smash 4. A lot of people expected an Unova rep like Zoroark. Greninja's inclusion came as a massive swerve to many since starters had never been repped at that point, and Kanto Pokémon Trainer was arguably the exception in service of a gimmick. Cinderace is arguably a good frontrunner, but I'm left wondering if Sakurai thinks the character offers much new, the same way Incineroar had a uniquely grappler-type move set.

I was thinking with Toxtricity they could implement a form change mechanic. At first I thought if he got into Smash then his Amped/Low-Key forms would be alternate costumes, but given that both forms have a different move tree it could make for an interesting gimmick to swap between two sets of specials (his G-Max also combines both forms). I reckon it'd also be easier to implement all the posture changes.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I got the impression that sakurai gets the freedom to choose from a pool of candidates - maybe a list of pokemon that GF may want to push, but he did choose incineroar over Decideye. He probably looks out for uniqueness and movesets in terms of what the pokemon rep can bring.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I got the impression that sakurai gets the freedom to choose from a pool of candidates - maybe a list of pokemon that GF may want to push, but he did choose incineroar over Decideye. He probably looks out for uniqueness and movesets in terms of what the pokemon rep can bring.
He picked Incineroar because he wanted to make a heel wrestler character

Which is why Incineroar has basically nothing to do with Sun/Moon Incineroar other than his neutral special.

I was surprised Incineroar didn't even really get his idle animation from Sun/Moon

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Incineroar was absolutely picked primarily for fulfilling a grappler character gimmick while no doubt being a reliable liked choice as a fire starter, it was a valid reason as well, as much as I love my archer Owl, he'd likely not bring anything particularly novel to ultimate's sizeable roster (and would no doubt be lamer than his Pokken variant)

Rowlet in smash as a concept intrigues me more, another cutesy orb mon ala Jigglypuff but with more defined abilities strikes me as more novel in the smash landscape.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
He picked Incineroar because he wanted to make a heel wrestler character

Which is why Incineroar has basically nothing to do with Sun/Moon Incineroar other than his neutral special.

I was surprised Incineroar didn't even get his idle animation from Sun/Moon
Yea well, he probably felt that the heel wrestler brought more to the table compared to the owl archer. I just wanted to point out that GF seems to give him a fairly large amount of leeway (he gets to decide the movesets and animation, freedom to choose whoever he wants other than stunfisk )

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Incineroar was absolutely picked primarily for fulfilling a grappler character gimmick while no doubt being a reliable liked choice as a fire starter, it was a valid reason as well, as much as I love my archer Owl, he'd likely not bring anything particularly novel to ultimate's sizeable roster (and would no doubt be lamer than his Pokken variant)

Rowlet in smash as a concept intrigues me more, another cutesy orb mon ala Jigglypuff but with more defined abilities strikes me as more novel in the smash landscape.
We haven't had a cute Pokemon added to Smash in quite awhile

Humanoid "cool" Pokemon as far as the eye can see

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
cute characters are underrepresented in general

not a single one in the first Fighters Pass

Piranha Plant counts though

Status
Not open for further replies.