• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I really want the superior Octolings and I wish that Smash sold alternate skins or something so that I could buy an Octoling skin for the Inklings.

Misuta

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Germany
My most wanted third party character is still Lloyd. I want Kalas and Sagi, too but their chances are almost zero.

The Fighters Pass was worth for Terry alone but I played a bit with the others.

First party-wise I'm satisfied. I got Fox, Wolf, Link and Shulk. I don't have particular wishes. (Slippy maybe, lol. He would use more gadgets in battles than Fox/Falco/Wolf)

I'm sorry I hit you with a final smash so much lol
Yeah, I noticed but I don't mind. haha

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I wonder where Star Fox's Smash representation would've gone in the wacky timeline where Sakurai went through with making Falco, Slippy and Peppy alts for Fox back in Smash 64.

Would they suffer from an earlier case of the Alph curse by forever being stuck as alt costumes? Would Star Fox even get a second character in Melee? Would Wolf have the other Star Wolf members as his alt costumes to match Fox?

Maybe it was best that Sakurai didn't go through with that idea...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Slippys gimmick is that hes completely useless and needs saving, and can only be played in doubles.
Has a unique dialogue for each teammate "(character)! Help me!"

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

I wonder where Star Fox's Smash representation would've gone in the wacky timeline where Sakurai went through with making Falco, Slippy and Peppy alts for Fox back in Smash 64.

Would they suffer from an earlier case of the Alph curse by forever being stuck as alt costumes? Would Star Fox even get a second character in Melee? Would Wolf have the other Star Wolf members as his alt costumes to match Fox?

Maybe it was best that Sakurai didn't go through with that idea...
There's no way anyone outside of Falco continues to work as an alt once we leave N64 graphics

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai's POTD from last night

Man, was ned_ballad the only other guy who cared about these? Don't see anyone else posting them lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
There's no way anyone outside of Falco continues to work as an alt once we leave N64 graphics
So, do we have five Star Fox reps in this timeline to fulfill "Everyone is Here", or are Peppy and Slippy just dropped and forgotten forever?

Again, maybe it's best that Sakurai had second thoughts on his Team Star Fox concept.

Man, was ned_ballad the only other guy who cared about these? Don't see anyone else posting them lol
I didn't even notice that nobody posted it; I go to check them myself on Twitter so it slips my mind when they go un-posted for awhile.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Hope you all enjoy that Hornet for Smash announcement in the Indie World presentation; 3 AM is like, the worst time it could possibly air.

Kidding, of course; Geno is Challenger Pack 6 so Hornet's reveal will obviously be later.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Hope you all enjoy that Hornet for Smash announcement in the Indie World presentation; 3 AM is like, the worst time it could possibly air.

Kidding, of course; Geno is Challenger Pack 6 so Hornet's reveal will obviously be later.
I have trouble understanding why Hornet an indie character can go ahead of other indie characters for a spot.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I have trouble understanding why Hornet an indie character can go ahead of other indie characters for a spot.
The answer is very simple, my friend: Hornet is cool, Hollow Knight is amazing, and i'd personally want her more than any the indie competition.

Realistically, i'd say Reimu is the only indie character who has a decent shot for playable status, but where's the fun in that?

Aug 12, 2019
I never really got the Octolings requests... I guess I don't really see what they would cover that Inkling doesn't across all the Splatoon content already in the game. Sure, Alts would be cool, but semi-clone or even a fully unique character always felt like too much.

The best thing about more Splatoon content would be another stage though, Moray Towers is neat in concept, but lacking in execution I feel. I rarely enjoy playing on it despite generally loving most stages.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I never really got the Octolings requests... I guess I don't really see what they would cover that Inkling doesn't across all the Splatoon content already in the game. Sure, Alts would be cool, but semi-clone or even a fully unique character always felt like too much.

The best thing about more Splatoon content would be another stage though, Moray Towers is neat in concept, but lacking in execution I feel. I rarely enjoy playing on it despite generally loving most stages.
Who's asking for unique Octolings? They've been one of the most common echo requests, but one of the idol duos has been the most wanted unique Splatoon newcomer from what I've seen.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I guess I don't really see what they would cover that Inkling doesn't across all the Splatoon content already in the game.
Easy; Chargers, Dualies and Brellas are the three main weapon types unrepresented in the Inkling's moveset. There's absolutely enough to work with between the many weapons in Splatoon 2 to make a decent semi-clone there.

Barely anyone is actually asking for that though; echo requests are far more common, and I see no problem with them fulfilling that role.

Aug 12, 2019
Who's asking for unique Octolings? They've been one of the most common echo requests, but one of the idol duos has been the most wanted unique Splatoon newcomer from what I've seen.

I've seen people ask for unique Octolings or an Isabelle style semi-clone for them before, though more on SmashBoards than here admittedly. I just don't get that.

I'm 100% down for a unique idol duo, just not the Octolings as anything more than an Alt.

Aug 12, 2019
Easy; Chargers, Dualies and Brellas are the three main weapon types unrepresented in the Inkling's moveset. There's absolutely enough to work with between the many weapons in Splatoon 2 to make a decent semi-clone there.

Barely anyone is actually asking for that though; echo requests are far more common, and I see no problem with them fulfilling that role.

Eh, that always feels like the same argument made for any franchise when it comes to "unrepresented content" in Smash, so I don't really find it convincing I guess? Like, there's enough "content" not represented in Smash to add to basically any franchise, but I honestly think Splatoon is one of the best incorporated franchises in Smash and if they're going to expand on it, I would much rather see a more adventurous direction like with the idol duos being the pick.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Eh, that always feels like the same argument made for any franchise when it comes to "unrepresented content" in Smash, so I don't really find it convincing I guess? Like, there's enough "content" not represented in Smash to add to basically any franchise, but I honestly think Splatoon is one of the best incorporated franchises in Smash and if they're going to expand on it, I would much rather see a more adventurous direction like with the idol duos being the pick.
I know you aren't particularly fond of echo fighters, but there's nothing wrong with Splatoon's second rep taking that form. Octoling doesn't even need to take away from a potential unique newcomer either; Splatoon is definitely bringing in the numbers to warrant multiple new reps next time around.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

This is Smash bros though, once they're in the game, keeping consistency with Smash is more important than with their source material. I'm pretty sure if that idea did happen (It's the first time I'm hearing about it), they'd have continued as skins even if it resulted in them having different proportions from the source material (which would need to happen even with their 64 models). Melee would be the first game giving them high quality models anyway so people likely would accept those designs fairly naturally.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Today is Tuesday, maybe they announce an indie spirit event

Who do the plebs use for Sans? Blue Ness with Unfounded Revenge?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
(It's the first time I'm hearing about it)
Unlike most considered/scrapped Smash content, it isn't really well documented for some reason; Sakurai mentioned it his response to a fan question on the Japanese Smash 64 site (which we have a translation of thanks to Source Gaming):

I briefly considered having Fox's other colors be the other members of the Star Fox team during development, but I decided against it.

The alert Slippy is a little…

We just had a spirit event last week, so I'm fairly certain we'll get a tourney event tonight.
It seems like we've been back to a consistent pattern again recently; but I wouldn't write off another spirit event this week (though it'll probably be a tourney).

Sakurai has broken me and i've given up looking for consistency in how these events are handled.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I think it's now reasonable to think we'll have at least the first FP2 character revealed in the next general Nintendo Direct.
What do you think?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's now reasonable to think we'll have at least the first FP2 character revealed in the next general Nintendo Direct.
What do you think?

We just don't even know when we're getting the next general

Venturebeat is saying next week, and NateDrake says he still expects a general this month, but John Harker seems to think otherwise.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ryokutya2089.com

スマブラ桜井政博さん「新型肺炎の影響で新ファイターのプレゼンが無期延期に」「さまざまなソフトの延期や開発中止がなされるかもしれないがやむを得ない」 | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

ファミ通最新号コラムより 新型肺炎によりイベント中止、テーマパークの休園が相次いでいることについて 「私もとある新ファイターの企画をまとめ版元さんにプレゼンを行う予定が関係者が集えず無期延期に」 「オフィスに感染者が見つかれば建物ごと全面封鎖、開発は丸ごとストップになってしまう」 「仮に新ファイターの発表を行っても予定どうりに開発が進まない可能性も」 「ゲーム制作に新型コロナウィルスは大きな影を落している。遅れて様々なソフトで発売延期は開発中止の発表がなされるかも知れないがやむを得ない。工数が下がる炉に予定どうりになるわけがない」...

According to this (assuming Google Translate isn't failing me), it seems like Sakurai was going to plan a presentation for a new fighter (internal presentation I assume) but it's getting postponed because of COVID-19.

Not sure if that has any bearing on whether the next character would be announced in the next Direct.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ryokutya2089.com

スマブラ桜井政博さん「新型肺炎の影響で新ファイターのプレゼンが無期延期に」「さまざまなソフトの延期や開発中止がなされるかもしれないがやむを得ない」 | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

ファミ通最新号コラムより 新型肺炎によりイベント中止、テーマパークの休園が相次いでいることについて 「私もとある新ファイターの企画をまとめ版元さんにプレゼンを行う予定が関係者が集えず無期延期に」 「オフィスに感染者が見つかれば建物ごと全面封鎖、開発は丸ごとストップになってしまう」 「仮に新ファイターの発表を行っても予定どうりに開発が進まない可能性も」 「ゲーム制作に新型コロナウィルスは大きな影を落している。遅れて様々なソフトで発売延期は開発中止の発表がなされるかも知れないがやむを得ない。工数が下がる炉に予定どうりになるわけがない」...

According to this (assuming Google Translate isn't failing me), it seems like Sakurai was going to plan a presentation for a new fighter (internal presentation I assume) but it's getting postponed because of COVID-19.

Not sure if that has any bearing on whether the next character would be announced in the next Direct.

I've never heard of this website before, but that sounds like something that could be legitimate.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
ryokutya2089.com

From what I can gather, Sakurai was supposed to present his plan for an upcoming fighter to the publisher/parties involved, but the whole thing is now on an indefinite hold.

I've never heard of this website before, but that sounds like something that could be legitimate.
This blog is always one of the first places to post info from magazines like Famitsu; no reason to doubt the legitimacy of it.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Ruokutya is legit yeah.
ryokutya2089.com

Damn. As said in the other thread, wonder if that means we're going back to regular trailers.

But from what Mondo posted, it sounds like it was more for something down the line, not the next fighter (but fighter +1)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That would 100% have nothing to do with fighter #6, who will likely have been worked on for several months now

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Damn. As said in the other thread, wonder if that means we're going back to regular trailers.

But from what Mondo posted, it sounds like it was more for something down the line, not the next fighter (but fighter +1)
Yeah, he definitely isn't talking about the next fighter; this seems like an early planning stages thing, and Challenger Pack 6 would be far past that point by now.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai, you absolute albatross, you better make sure that next Smash game has a controllable camera so that 2B fans understand when Harold the Homeboy joins SSBU instead

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ruokutya is legit yeah.

I think those live presentations are mostly done for cost effectiveness, and Sakurai films with a small crew, so if the correct precautions are exercised I don't think it's going to affect those kinds of presentations too much. If they really have to, they can just film from his home or something.

I really do suspect this is mostly just bureaucratic stuff he's referring to, so about a future fighter, not an incoming one. Presumably the next fighter should be ready to show soon, though there's always the possibility that COVID will put a stop to the final phase of development (the last couple months/weeks are usually spent debugging and if the next fighter was originally slated for May or some such then that might not hold).

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
welp.. it seems is too late and sites are already reporting that "NEXT FIGHTER WAS DELAYED!!" and not the whole context; sometimes I hate the internet, honestly

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Presumably the next fighter should be ready to show soon, though there's always the possibility that COVID will put a stop to the final phase of development.
Sakurai does actually mention the possibility of future fighters being delayed after their announcement (and also the possibility of development stopping entirely if someone in the Bandai Namco offices is infected); it could happen.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

Pushdustin is translating it. But again, that's not the full column yet.

See? The context of the situation is important.. if they were planning showing the character for the publisher involved in the process, I doubt this is about Fighter 6 or even 7... probably one the last ones in the second pass at this rate. But doesn't matter... everyone is panicking already

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
There we go, the really interesting one:

In the worst case scenario, we'll be looking at more reveals without gameplay, I guess?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Get ready for another round of Joker level waiting as characters will be revealed five months before they're ready to drop.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If this is the worst that happens with Smash DLC, we should consider ourselves fortunate. This damn virus is going to have a big impact on the game industry (just like it's having a big impact on every facet of society).

Status
Not open for further replies.