• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Ni930EM.png

Don't Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie look so quaint in comparison to DK64
What the hell was the DK64 team on that made them go that collection crazy?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell was the DK64 team on that made them go that collection crazy?

My only guess is that they were trying to outdo the Banjo team

I believe Chris Seavor said at some point that basically every team within Rare during the N64 era were sort of in competition with each other to make the bigger and better game. So I guess with DK64 they thought they could trump Banjo-Kazooie in terms of scope, collectibles, playable characters, etc

Didn't exactly work out

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The collecting in DK64 honestly isn't as bad as it's been memed up to be IMO. There's a ton of garbage to collect but it's mostly compartmentalized in "hub" areas that have a small section for each Kong. It's a tedious framework for sure but it's not the main reason why the game is bad.

The main reason the game blows is because it isn't well made, like at all. The collision is bad, the camera is awful, the enemies are obnoxious and send you flying way too far back when they hit you, the minigames are downright horrible and some literally don't even work (Beaver Bother), the power-ups you get from Cranky/Candy/Funky are mostly pointless outside of maybe one arbitrary contextual use per level, etc. Aside from the music and visuals (which are hampered by severe bursts of slowdown in the original version) the game is amateur hour all around. I think I read that the game was made by a team at Rare that had never worked on a 3D game before which would make a ton of sense.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Remember when they had to ship a costly expansion to the N64 with every copy due to a bug they couldn't figure out how to fix, but the expansion fixed it so they just rolled with it?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
The collecting in DK64 honestly isn't as bad as it's been memed up to be IMO. There's a ton of garbage to collect but it's mostly compartmentalized in "hub" areas that have a small section for each Kong. It's a tedious framework for sure but it's not the main reason why the game is bad.

The main reason the game blows is because it isn't well made, like at all. The collision is bad, the camera is awful, the enemies are obnoxious and send you flying way too far back when they hit you, the minigames are downright horrible and some literally don't even work (Beaver Bother), the power-ups you get from Cranky/Candy/Funky are mostly pointless outside of maybe one arbitrary contextual use per level, etc. Aside from the music and visuals (which are hampered by severe bursts of slowdown in the original version) the game is amateur hour all around. I think I read that the game was made by a team at Rare that had never worked on a 3D game before which would make a ton of sense.

I still love DK64. Even if I don't love it as much as I used to, I will never hate that game.

Everything in this post is correct about DK64 though. It's not the collecting.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding, DK64 was developed by the B-team that made DKC3 (the A-team that made the first two DKCs, led by Gregg Mayles, had moved on to Dream/Banjo-Kazooie).
Rare didn't really have "B-Teams". They'd shuffle project members across their barns (as an example; the development team behind Diddy Kong Racing was splintered off of Killer Instinct 2, and that team was subsequently splintered into Jet Force Gemini and Dinosaur Planet - by that time none of their developers had yet put out a game with free 3D third person movement). DK64 had a good chunk of Banjo-Kazooie members transition into it mid-development.

Arguably if any barn was Rare's "A-team", it was the Conker team. Their technological advancements became the basis which the Banjo team snagged inspiration from when Project Dream wasn't working out.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame because DK64 definitely still does exude that classic Rare charm inspite of it kinda sucking.

It gave us King Krusha K. Rool, the Blast-O-Matic, Diddy's Peanut Popgun and Rocket Barrel, the DK Rap, etc all of which are prominately featured in Smash Bros.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's a shame because DK64 definitely still does exude that classic Rare charm inspite of it kinda sucking.

It gave us King Krusha K. Rool, the Blast-O-Matic, Diddy's Peanut Popgun and Rocket Barrel, the DK Rap, etc all of which are prominately featured in Smash Bros.
You forgot Lanky, the most important gift DK64 blessed us with.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We could really get a good 3D DK game in the vein of DK 64. It just needs QOL improvements and a lot of fat trimming

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I remember I predicted that Mario Odyssey's final would be you taking control of Donkey Kong and fighting Bowser as him.

Kinda like that Melee Event match

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Returning to the topic of music additions in Smash going forward and things missing the boat, just started Cindered Shadows and can't help but think about tracks that could've been in Smash, particularly because of how near Byleth's release this is.

And "fourth house" colors would've made nice alts for each Byleth. Especially seeing as how they avoided lighter options like a Rhea color, and missed the opportunity of having colors 7/8 match Byleth's exclusive class.

Pauline joins, but as the next DK rep.

I'd be okay with this.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of associate the Lanky meme with Gamer Gate tbh.

Not because of it directly but because I remember it coming into prominence around that time.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I got DK64 for Christmas the year it came out...in my stocking. I remember my mom flipping out on my dad for that fuck up lol

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
You're damn right Sakurai.

yvF7RuT.png

(this is one of the winners of the latest photo contest; they'll post an official translation on the news feed soon enough).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a topic for ya.

Sakurai has the ability to include one character from a canceled game, or a cut character. The character can be from a pre-existing series, but that character can't have appeared in a released game.

(On topic Redneck Kong from Donkey Kong Pilot is my choice)

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Here's a topic for ya.

Sakurai has the ability to include one character from a canceled game, or a cut character. The character can be from a pre-existing series, but that character can't have appeared in a released game.

Mother 64 Flint
yee haw

Mar 9, 2018
If you hate Lanky, you are on the wrong side of history.

Lanky is the next CGI Rare character that will be revived to great critical and hopefully far less sensual acclaim.

You're damn right Sakurai.

yvF7RuT.png

(this is one of the winners of the latest photo contest; they'll post an official translation on the news feed soon enough).
The main indie is put in front.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Here's a topic for ya.

This is kind of hard to me. I don't really know anyone that was cancelled that I remember fondly enough to want to play as in Smash. I guess I'd want Conker's player-2 Owl friend who never saw the light of day once Twelve Tales turned to Bad Fur Day.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Donkey Kong, Diddy, and Dixie all got their own game. Now it's time for the best Kong of all.

Lanky Kong Switch, it's time.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a topic for ya.

do scrapped designs for existing characters count
dpbbnp6wwaineh4v9juc.jpg

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My biggest issue with DK64 are the minigames...and not necessarily how they play.

But the fact a lot of them don't make sense...warping you to a weird barrel world and you're controlling a Kong? Cool. But then you have ones where you're a random enemy or a disembodied hand shooting at the Kongs and that bothers me.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Whoa who are these hotties
The Broodals from Mario Odyssey; they had a ton of scrapped designs (most of which being better than the final rabbit designs).

EDIT: Personally, I really like the Koopa designs posted already, and this group:

f76bdeef995967c34bc82247324f5437d1a26a5c.jpg

They really emphasise Nintendo's design philosophy; even before the designs were finalised, the main gameplay gimmick of each boss was already conceptualised.

Last edited:

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a topic for ya.

The robot from Retro's artwork thing last year.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a topic for ya.

For me, probably that guy from Project HAMMER.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Here's a topic for ya.

Raven Blade dude. Just look at them kicks and that sword upswing.

Status
Not open for further replies.