• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
If Agent 3+8 is canon, then technically all possible gender variations would also be valid, I assume?

That would seem right. It's not like they're going to put their foot down and say only FEMALE 3 and MALE 8 are in a relationship
That's true but both characters are player avatars and the art isn't particularly explicit on the matter.

It just feels a tad disingenuous to call them "canonically 100% gay/lesbian" when the only official sources on the matter have them as opposite genders.

Especially when Corrin and Byleth exist.

All the playable Agents are depicted as Inkling Girls in official art, so it's safe to assume that 3, 4, & 8 are canonically women.
The very piece of art that caused this discussion portrays 8 as a guy.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
That Splatoon picture messes with my brain. I have trouble understanding character positions on it, nevermind the tertiary dimorphism hair.

Undercooked idea of the day: was sushi removed from the food list due to Inklings being squids and thus feeling monkey about some of it? Are vegetarian characters not viable for DLC?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Duck Hunt Dog can eat all the chocolate he wants in Smash so I doubt the characters have much impact on what the food ends up being.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That Splatoon picture messes with my brain. I have trouble understanding character positions on it, nevermind the tertiary dimorphism hair.

Undercooked idea of the day: was sushi removed from the food list due to Inklings being squids and thus feeling monkey about some of it? Are vegetarian characters not viable for DLC?
Smash rotates its food every game

I don't think they care what food is kinda weird with some characters. They've been making roasted chicken jokes with Falco since Melee.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It'd actually be kinda cool if there was an explicitly vegetarian character in Smash and they actually took damage from the meat foods, kinda like how some characters take damage when in water

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we getting worked up for Agent shipping when Off The Hook is right there?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Also the food in Brawl was hideous, good lord
300px-VariousFood.jpg

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we getting worked up for Agent shipping when Off The Hook is right there?
Gosh, heck if I know.

Feels like people's enjoyment of shipping is inversely proportional to how much actual fuel there is for it in the source material most of the time.

I guess the obvious subtext between Pearl and Marina isn't as fun for folks as trying to name ships after wooden plank measurements.

. . .At least a 16 year old and a 14 year old is better than a 19 year old and a 14 year old, I guess.

Should I have some questions about some people? I feel like I should have some questions about some people.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's saddening that Tails only got a Spirit and Mii Costume when Knuckles and Shadow got and Assist Trophy treatement.

This shows my lack of knowledge on many Nintendo IPs

To be fair, Ike is kind of a cop out. He only has paired endings with men (where he leaves the continent together alongside one of them), and has a pretty strong scene/subplot where he is emotional support for one of them, but they avoid outright confirming that it's a romantic relationship.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm curious as well.
Cuphead - Final Results - Wii Party U
Mugman - CluClu Land
The Devil - Flashes of Fear
King Dice - Jungle Level (Jazzy)

Kinda weird choice for Cuphead. I might have went with the Athletic Theme from Super Mario World, personally. Since it's already kinda in Cuphead lol

I actually would have preferred the Devil and King Dice's songs instead of Floral Fury, just for some variation. It's not like all 5 of the Tetris spirits used Tetris music, it would have been fine to have some variation I think

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish I didn't get that Cuphead costume yesterday, those non costume spirit battles sound more interesting.
Clu Clu Land's remix is very ragtime esque at points, hence why it was probably chosen for Mugman.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, heck if I know.

Feels like people's enjoyment of shipping is inversely proportional to how much actual fuel there is for it in the source material most of the time.

I guess the obvious subtext between Pearl and Marina isn't as fun for folks as trying to name ships after wooden plank measurements.

. . .At least a 16 year old and a 14 year old is better than a 19 year old and a 14 year old, I guess.

Should I have some questions about some people? I feel like I should have some questions about some people.
How about "what if mayflies were sentient"? I'm actually interested what you think about that, given the above - it's possible Splatoon lore actually clarifies that it's not relevant here, but it could apply to other stuff still.

Moving on to more practical matters, I wonder if Nintendo will ever do a product placement spirit event. They did some Splatfests, no?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Just putting it out there.

Don't know who this "fatmanonice" guy is and if he's claiming that I'm in "his circle", he's full of shit.

I literally know nothing about him.

He's a fake arse leaker that only the Geno thread on smashboards believes. He has gotten a grand total of ZERO things right about smash. Whenever someone calls him out he just says he is speculating. He knows nothing trust me and i'm glad you disassociated with him.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Since they can add special exceptions for DLC owners in base game content like spirit battles, can we get DLC characters and some DLC spirits added to the WoL maps...

There's plenty of free space to add markers basically wherever they want

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
That must be the case cos I don't have the DLC so I just had Mega Mans (Mega Men?) and base game music.
Well that's a neat change that opens up possibilities in the future
So if you bought the Cuphead Mii Costume, the Cuphead and Mugman Spirit battles feature a Mii Gunner instead of Megaman. Also, all the Cuphead spirits have Floral Fury as the BGM.

Did this also happen with the Ryo Sakazaki spirit fight? I didn't buy that costume.

That's awesome! They finally did it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Gosh, heck if I know.

All shipping takes place in the localized DOA game dimension which is very similar to our normal dimension but all anime characters have bios that say they're 18.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
How about "what if mayflies were sentient"? I'm actually interested what you think about that, given the above - it's possible Splatoon lore actually clarifies that it's not relevant here, but it could apply to other stuff still.

Moving on to more practical matters, I wonder if Nintendo will ever do a product placement spirit event. They did some Splatfests, no?
I m-

I don't understand how that's relevant to what I said?

Do you mean, like, the thousand year old dragon question? Inasmuch as my own Smash Bros fluff shipping is concerned I don't even have room to talk on that and Inklings, but as far as strictly Splatoon-based ships go Occam's Razor suggests that the only character that'd be in play with is Judd, which. . .does anyone even ship Judd with other members of the cast? Gosh, I hope not.

To sum up my knowledge base as a Splatoon fan, supplemental materials have, on multiple occasions, offered ages for characters (Callie and Marie as 17 in the original Splatoon according to an album booklet, Pearl as 21 and Marina as 18 according to The Art of Splatoon 2), and there's never been any kind of handwave thus far like "Squid years" or whatever to contradict the idea that they just age at the same rate as humans. Bizarre Alien Biology abounds regarding the life stages of Inklings, but the actual rate at which they progress through them seems to be the same as humans barring someone pointing out otherwise. They might live a bit longer than humans, but while Craig might be past the oldest age we have on record for humans by a smidge he's also, well, OLD. Like, geriatric and borderline senile old. By and large Inklings don't really invoke Mayfly-December type questions in comparison to humans at either end of the scale.

As for the product placement question, considering the difficulty in procuring those kinds of deals and how Spirits are meant to be more permanent than Splatfests are, I kind of doubt it. Product placement is more Nogami's turf than Sakurai's anyway. And hell, even Splatoon 2 toned down the product placement in the West this go around, I don't even remember seeing any flashy themed Splatfests like the first game had. Japan still had tie-ins, but like, basically every Splatfest there that isn't multiregional is product placement.

All shipping takes place in the localized DOA game dimension which is very similar to our normal dimension but all anime characters have bios that say they're 18.
Pffffffhahahahahahah

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly always kind of bothered me how out of proportion Pit is with Palutena in Smash

Like this is how they actually look in Uprising

pit_and_palutena_by_isaac77598-d67wgb6.jpg

But in Smash, it's like
N8arYZFh.jpg

His head in particular feels a lot bigger than it should be lol. It just looks really weird putting them together like that.

Last edited:

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly always kind of bothered me how out of proportion Pit is with Palutena in Smash

Like this how they actually look in Uprising

pit_and_palutena_by_isaac77598-d67wgb6.jpg

But in Smash, it's like
N8arYZFh.jpg

His head in particular feels a lot bigger than it should be lol. It just looks really weird putting them together like that.
I think part of it is that Palutena's proportions are made slightly more realistic in Smash too. Like, in that screenshot you can see her head is slightly bigger compared to her shoulders and her eyes are a little wider and more expressive. You take two characters from the same setting then exaggerate one and tone down the other, and it's gonna look weird. Personally I'm a little more hung up that Palutena's proportions aren't at least a little more cartoonish. It wouldn't take much of a tweak to her for them to at least look more like they're from the same franchise. It's especially weird since Sakurai himself is the one responsible for both of those designs in the first place, so I just have no clue why he decided to change it in that direction.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booted up Pikmin 3 for the first time. It's kind of endearing and it's helpful that this is Baby's First RTS but the daily time limit is going to drive me crazy.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Booted up Pikmin 3 for the first time. It's kind of endearing and it's helpful that this is Baby's First RTS but the daily time limit is going to drive me crazy.
pikmin 3 is a lot more forgiving than pikmin 1 but lacks the unlimited days of pikmin 2, just be certain to think ahead when it comes to your resources and make effective use of all three captains and you shouldn't have too much issues

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pikmin 3 is a lot more forgiving than pikmin 1 but lacks the unlimited days of pikmin 2, just be certain to think ahead when it comes to your resources and make effective use of all three captains and you shouldn't have too much issues

It's actually pretty fun but the Gamepad is driving me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.