• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People bought another copy to burn it too show how much they hate Byleth and Fire emblem.

I just figured everyone saw Byleth and assumed it was a costume for Marth.

once you get used it, you'll be able to manage things pretty easily
The Gamepad will become your greatest ally eventually, and it's a shame that the functionality won't be there in the Deluxe Switch port.

I'm fine with it as an option but when I want to use a regular controller but get barred from features is when it gets my gander.

They actively took out the minimap from Wind Waker to make you use the Gamepad, the fiends.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've made some decent progress in Yakuza 0.

This game is really dark. (I know everyone focuses on the goofy meme side activities.)

Nov 28, 2018
Florida
Just putting it out there.

Don't know who this "fatmanonice" guy is and if he's claiming that I'm in "his circle", he's full of shit.

I literally know nothing about him.
Never thought I'd see that name here, laughing so hard.

Yeah, I tried to tell some people that last night but thanks for clarifying yourself. Not sure where people got the idea to believe you said the direct would be this week outside of maybe speculation based on the old poll.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've made some decent progress in Yakuza 0.

This game is really dark. (I know everyone focuses on the goofy meme side activities.)

That's part of the charm.

On one hand, gripping crime drama in the heart of Japan's underworld in the glitz and glamour of the 80s.

And on the other hand, that time Majima caused a major recession and ruined the Japanese economy.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
also since we're talking about yakuza 0

if you lonely on this valentine's day, on this friday night
just remember
these crime boys

Jun 11, 2019
I still need to play Yakuza 3 and 6, the order I've played those games in is screwy.

Oh yeah, I finished the last case in Trials and Tribulations and now I need more

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
That's part of the charm.

On one hand, gripping crime drama in the heart of Japan's underworld in the glitz and glamour of the 80s.

And on the other hand, that time Majima caused a major recession and ruined the Japanese economy.
Plunging the world's second largest economy into a 30-year-and-counting period of total economic stagnation really makes Majima one of history's greatest monsters when you think about it.

Most villains just kill a few people or run a few cons, not make 125 million people's lives actively worse and less prosperous.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Playing the Yakuza 3 Remaster after only having played Zero, the Kiwami's, and Judgement is pretty rough, but the series is so charming it's not enough to make me stop.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Change some spirits if you own some DLC

Nipper Plant: From Pac-Man to white Piranha Plant
Petey (Mario Strikers): From Ivysaur to pink Piranha Plant
Camus: From Marth to blue Byleth
Tails: From Fox to Tails costume Mii Gunner
X: From Mega Man to X costume Mii Gunner
MegaMan.EXE: From Mega Man to MM.EXE costume Mii Gunner
Polar Bear: From DK to white Banjo-Kazooie
Rex, Mythra and Pyra: From Shulk to Rex Mii Sword Fighter
Hero's Comrades: From tiny red Robin to tiny Veronica Mii Sword Fighter
Ryo: From Mii Brawler in random gear to Ryo Mii Brawler
Akira: From Ryu to Akira Mii Brawler

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People bought another copy to burn it too show how much they hate Byleth and Fire emblem.

A lot of Melee fans did that with their copies of Brawl back in the day, funnily enough. It was somewhat of a fad on Smashboards back then. I even remember one person who kept shitposting all over the Brawl boards who used a smashed up Brawl disc as their avatar.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plunging the world's second largest economy into a 30-year-and-counting period of total economic stagnation really makes Majima one of history's greatest monsters when you think about it.

Most villains just kill a few people or run a few cons, not make 125 million people's lives actively worse and less prosperous.

He only did it that one time. Cut him some slack.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Melee fans did that with their copies of Brawl back in the day, funnily enough. It was somewhat of a fad on Smashboards back then. I even remember one person who kept shitposting all over the Brawl boards who used a smashed up Brawl disc as their avatar.

A lot or just the few that you remember? I still have my brawl disc and don't remember anyone breaking their copies. Judging people based on a few is basically how you get people like Salem.

Oct 25, 2017
Change some spirits if you own some DLC

Nipper Plant: From Pac-Man to white Piranha Plant
Petey (Mario Strikers): From Ivysaur to pink Piranha Plant
Camus: From Marth to blue Byleth
Tails: From Fox to Tails costume Mii Gunner
X: From Mega Man to X costume Mii Gunner
MegaMan.EXE: From Mega Man to MM.EXE costume Mii Gunner
Polar Bear: From DK to white Banjo-Kazooie
Rex, Mythra and Pyra: From Shulk to Rex Mii Sword Fighter
Hero's Comrades: From tiny red Robin to tiny Veronica Mii Sword Fighter
Ryo: From Mii Brawler in random gear to Ryo Mii Brawler
Akira: From Ryu to Akira Mii Brawler

Okay that's cool. I should probably pick up more of the Mii Costumes if that's happening.
Interestingly, I know that when they were promoting the Cuphead event, the main duo were represented by a Red and Blue Mega Man, but since I downloaded the Cuphead costume, they were the Mii Gunners instead.
Plus, all four battles had Floral Fury playing. Making me wonder what the non-DLC track is.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I remember something about that Being talked about at Gaf. I actually knew someone that did that which why I made the joke. Tho I don't think it was about just about Brawl being mechanically different. It was something about a character As well but I can't remember.

I never understand being that anger about a video game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, maybe "a lot" wasn't the correct term. But there definitely was more than "a few" as well.

The main reason I remember people being upset was the fact that the melee scene basically grew the competitive Smash scene from scratch with years of hard work, paying out of pocket to run events and building social and media relationships only to have the game be essentially replaced in tournaments by the newer game simply because it was new and no other reason. It should be easy to see why it felt like a big fuck you to everyone who dedicated so much of their life.

(this was also the point where a lot of us just stopped playing for many years until the revival @ EVO)

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Okay that's cool. I should probably pick up more of the Mii Costumes if that's happening.
Interestingly, I know that when they were promoting the Cuphead event, the main duo were represented by a Red and Blue Mega Man, but since I downloaded the Cuphead costume, they were the Mii Gunners instead.
Plus, all four battles had Floral Fury playing. Making me wonder what the non-DLC track is.
Cuphead - Final Results - Wii Party U
Mugman - CluClu Land
The Devil - Flashes of Fear
King Dice - Jungle Level (Jazzy)

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I get that there are some really annoying Melee fans, but I'll never be a fan of how much of an anti-Melee circlejerk there is. I don't really enjoy playing Melee anymore, but it's super fun to watch and I really do think it's still a great game in its own right.

This isn't aimed at anyone obviously! Just thinking out loud, lmao

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I get that there are some really annoying Melee fans, but I'll never be a fan of how much of an anti-Melee circlejerk there is. I don't really enjoy playing Melee anymore, but it's super fun to watch and I really do think it's still a great game in its own right.

This isn't aimed at anyone obviously! Just thinking out loud, lmao
I would argue every Smash game is a great game on their own Right.

but I've seen heated discussions when someone would say this Lol. Smash as a series has been a weird evolution.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melee to me is still the bench mark of Smash as a party game, mostly because it was before items got too strong for their own good. Plus it still has the best stages.

They should just announce and release Klonoa Encore already so I can sell myself on the character.

Like everything else about Klonoa in the last few years it's probably been cancelled.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty quick turn-around from registering those trademarks in September to cancellation not too long afterwards; is that record?

It's Klonoa.

I can second this. Brawl, 4, and Ultimate have way too many items that are just not fun to play around with, even in the most casual of settings.

Yeah there's too many crazy overpowered items and assists in the series since Brawl. Lyn showing up and doing a cool slash? Awesome. The Moon falling down and killing everyone on screen or Nightmare making everything black for a few seconds? Considerably less so.

For all the divide between casual and hardcore fanbases I feel that as time has gone on Smash has become worse as a party game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway now that we're on this I hope Terry's Desperation mechanic replaces Final Smashes.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
How many Twitter "leakers" did we lose cause Nintendo ain't announcing directs lol

1 whole month with people buying a Fighters pass with no known fighters. How far will they go?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Cuphead - Final Results - Wii Party U
Mugman - CluClu Land
The Devil - Flashes of Fear
King Dice - Jungle Level (Jazzy)

Kinda weird choice for Cuphead. I might have went with the Athletic Theme from Super Mario World, personally. Since it's already kinda in Cuphead lol

I actually would have preferred the Devil and King Dice's songs instead of Floral Fury, just for some variation. It's not like all 5 of the Tetris spirits used Tetris music, it would have been fine to have some variation I think

Flashes of Fear would've worked far better had they cut out the slow, subdued intro (as seen here) -- perfectly fine for the source material, but it's the lone Hey! Pikmin rip that never clicked with me.

(Of course, I haven't reached those two bosses in Cuphead just yet, so I can't comment on how well they fit in themselves. Personally, I think Clu Clu Land's spot-on.)

It's honestly always kind of bothered me how out of proportion Pit is with Palutena in Smash

Like this is how they actually look in Uprising

pit_and_palutena_by_isaac77598-d67wgb6.jpg

But in Smash, it's like
N8arYZFh.jpg

His head in particular feels a lot bigger than it should be lol. It just looks really weird putting them together like that.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

Smash has long been noted for funky proportions (just check out Melee's Mother stages), so I don't think about it too much.

Booted up Pikmin 3 for the first time. It's kind of endearing and it's helpful that this is Baby's First RTS but the daily time limit is going to drive me crazy.

Wii U's masterpiece -- I get the impression you won't share my opinion, but enjoy!

I distinctly recall a Melee combo video by the name of "Screw You Sakurai" that opened with some guy smashing his Brawl case/disc with a hammer. Ironic title aside (he made your favorite game too, ya dorks!), it was that sort of ugly, irrational vitriol that fed into my negative perception of the competitive Smash scene at the time. (Not to dismiss the genuine reservations people had against Brawl or the whole "you guys need to move on!" shtick -- hell, I was certainly guilty of the latter -- but much of this came across as unusually spiteful/patronizing and miscolored my impressions toward the pro-Melee crowd for years.)

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I distinctly recall a Melee combo video by the name of "Screw You Sakurai" that opened with some guy smashing his Brawl case/disc with a hammer. Ironic title aside (he made your favorite game too, ya dorks!), it was that sort of ugly, irrational vitriol that fed into my negative perception of the competitive Smash scene at the time. (Not to dismiss the genuine reservations people had against Brawl or the whole "you guys need to move on!" shtick -- hell, I was certainly guilty of the latter -- but much of this came across as unusually spiteful/patronizing and miscolored my impressions toward the pro-Melee crowd for years.)

The attitudes from some people of every game were ugly and its part of why a lot of us just quit going to events.
I've left a bunch of discord servers because that kind of us vs them trash still rears its head and I don't want anything to do with it (including era's discord)

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I m-

I don't understand how that's relevant to what I said?

Do you mean, like, the thousand year old dragon question? Inasmuch as my own Smash Bros fluff shipping is concerned I don't even have room to talk on that and Inklings, but as far as strictly Splatoon-based ships go Occam's Razor suggests that the only character that'd be in play with is Judd, which. . .does anyone even ship Judd with other members of the cast? Gosh, I hope not.

To sum up my knowledge base as a Splatoon fan, supplemental materials have, on multiple occasions, offered ages for characters (Callie and Marie as 17 in the original Splatoon according to an album booklet, Pearl as 21 and Marina as 18 according to The Art of Splatoon 2), and there's never been any kind of handwave thus far like "Squid years" or whatever to contradict the idea that they just age at the same rate as humans. Bizarre Alien Biology abounds regarding the life stages of Inklings, but the actual rate at which they progress through them seems to be the same as humans barring someone pointing out otherwise. They might live a bit longer than humans, but while Craig might be past the oldest age we have on record for humans by a smidge he's also, well, OLD. Like, geriatric and borderline senile old. By and large Inklings don't really invoke Mayfly-December type questions in comparison to humans at either end of the scale.

I was specifically thinking about a situation where you have multiple "common" species within one society with vastly varying lifespans, for extra complications sharing possible romantic interests in each other. Now that I think of it, Mass Effect did have this set up, but this in particular never gets into spotlight since half the species there have some quirks screwing (pun somewhat intended) with the relationships anyway, the most I'm aware of is "my parent died early" stuff.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I gotta be honest, they really only should have changed Cuphead.

I prefer the non-DLC versions for the other three.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Melee to me is still the bench mark of Smash as a party game, mostly because it was before items got too strong for their own good. Plus it still has the best stages.

Agreed on items. Melee with items on is still fun. Brawl and on they just get in the way. I played with some friends this week and after one match with items I put my foot down and said no more items lol.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
But this would remove all reference to Veronica being a mage. Red robin makes perfect sense here. Replacing it with sword attacks basically misses the point.
Really several of the potential "actual character to Mii costume" changes are better served as staying actual characters.

Small red Robin was A+.

Status
Not open for further replies.