• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Melee to me is still the bench mark of Smash as a party game, mostly because it was before items got too strong for their own good. Plus it still has the best stages.

Also it had best pokeball system where you can throw so many pokeballs and chaos just happens everywhere. Now it's like two pokeballs only with Brawl and Smash 4. At least, they allows three this time tho.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
With the option to turn off individual items it's fairly easy to bring the item balance back to Melee levels so I would really say Melee was more balanced in that regard.

Only Smash for 3DS suffered in the items department cos you couldn't change the frequncy (one of the few things Smash for Wii U had over it).

Also it had best pokeball system where you can throw so many pokeballs and chaos just happens everywhere. Now it's like two pokeballs only with Brawl and Smash 4. At least, they allows three this time tho.
Well to balance it out we can also have two assist trophies running around alongside them.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I just got done watching the DQV movie, and it'd be really cool if Five was an alt.

He's got a neat appearance, and actually uses Woosh to move through the air in the movie!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching lv. 9 CPU matches lately. It's such a great way to appreciate all of the nuances to the animation and design.

One character that continually impresses me is Bowser Jr (and the Koopalings). Sakurai packed the Clown Car with all kinds of weaponry — the drills, buzzsaw, fork, wrecking balls, boxing gloves, tongue, propeller, cannon, go-kart, mecha-koops, etc. They're the very embodiment of cartoon violence, lol.

But I was wondering: Does Junior and his ilk still have the two hit boxes, where they takes less damage if you hit the car vs. the pilot? Or was that never a thing in the first place? I seem to recall that being part of his design in Smash 4.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
But I was wondering: Does Junior and his ilk still have the two hit boxes, where they takes less damage if you hit the car vs. the pilot? Or was that never a thing in the first place? I seem to recall that being part of his design in Smash 4.
Yes and it was buffed in Ultimate

In Smash 4, when taking damage, the game would prioritize Bowser Jr's hurtbox over the Clown Car, so it made the armor useless against attacks with large hitboxes. In Ultimate, the Clown Car's hurtbox takes priority, so it's a lot more reliable as armor.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1228450740626001920

why are they so skittish about using DLC stuff in free spirit battles

it's in the data! You can encounter them online!

Well at the very least it'd be nice to see them do this weird swap out stuff if it means piranha plant gets spirit battles some day.

It could be related to the recent hot water situation companies like EA and Activision have gotten themselves into. Where putting that in may have kids think they have to buy it no matter what.

I could see them trying to avoid current/future legal issues.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yes, Junior and the Clown Car still have separate hurtboxes.

Fun fact; the Duck Hunt dog and duck also have separate hurtboxes.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
It could be related to the recent hot water situation companies like EA and Activision have gotten themselves into. Where putting that in may have kids think they have to buy it no matter what.

I could see them trying to avoid current/future legal issues.
I don't see how it does it any more than having a DLC exclusive spirit board button with even shinier dlc board customzied to each one
or alerting you to every dlc character and costume hat comes out
or just seeing them online

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and it was buffed in Ultimate

In Smash 4, when taking damage, the game would prioritize Bowser Jr's hurtbox over the Clown Car, so it made the armor useless against attacks with large hitboxes. In Ultimate, the Clown Car's hurtbox takes priority, so it's a lot more reliable as armor.
Oh, "hurtbox." I like that, lol.

Any other changes to Bowser Jr from Smash 4 to Smash 5? Playable Koopalings in Smash was a dream-come-true for me, and ever since they were made playable in Smash and MK8 I've also liked Bowser Jr since I no longer begrudge him for taking their place, lol.

BTW, they're -totally- Bowser's kids -- I don't care what Miyamoto says. :-O

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how it does it any more than having a DLC exclusive spirit board button with even shinier dlc board customzied to each one
or alerting you to every dlc character and costume hat comes out
or just seeing them online

Note: This is all me speculating. I may/probably be wrong.
1) That's an area you can't access without the dlc vs having it appear in a single player/local mode
2) Notification vs In-game content
3) Players choosing to use the content vs game "shoving it in your face"

That's my guess as to what Nintendo is thinking.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Kazooie is such a badass that her very existence is weaponized, lol
Another use for the feathered freak,
makes good use of her pointy beak!
The bad guys know that it's no joke,
just press B to give 'em a poke!

giphy.gif

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think they just want people without the DLC to not really have any content they can see but can't access

They even let non-DLC owners get the DLC Board spirits via the shop/random rewards from tournaments

The only content DLC players can see but can't actually obtain are the fighter spirits for the DLC characters. Those are just holes in the spirit list for them.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
God, Smash Flash 2 Waluigi is really fun, and I hate that I enjoy playing as him. Getting cheap meteor smashes with up-air is the best.

Makes me excited to see their takes on other characters that won't be getting into an actual Smash installment anytime soon, like Kumatora and Andy.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That Dragon Quest movie manages to shit all over DQV in a way that shouldn't have even been possible with the way it ends.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
See, if Square Enix had some "Dragon Quest VR Experience" or something to promote, I could understand why anyone involved would chose to go for that ending (it'd still be bad though).

But I just don't get the point?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I thought I read somewhere that the main character has a different name from the game and that he's just a VR avatar or something.
The "player" in the movie names the character and is them, well kinda I guess.

He's the protagonist of V, but in this particular version of V in the movie, whoever is playing it becomes him

His name is Luca in the movie, which I think is a semi-official name for the character at some point?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Maybe they should just add Madason as his own character.

Hey, if they stick with the cast from the movie and bothered dubbing him, it wouldn't be hard to get Yuri Lowenthal back in.

His name is Luca in the movie, which I think is a semi-official name for the character at some point?
It's his name in a few places; like the audio drama and novelisation.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Abel - Japanese name

Madason - English name

Luca - Name in the novel, movie, and other places

All are the same character.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Well there is a major twist behind the movie but we could equip Madason with swords if we wanted to. His powerful weapon is Metal King Sword, iirc?
Yeah, the issue isn't that he can't use swords -- it's that his main promotional weapon is the staff, which he wields in all game-related appearances and merchandise.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I mean, he uses the staff in Hero's Final Smash; that's all I need to see. I really wouldn't have minded if they just gave him a sword though.

On a related note, if they actually went through with adding 8 Heroes, I wonder who the unlucky 3 (+ 4 female) heroes who missed out would've been.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the issue isn't that he can't use swords -- it's that his main promotional weapon is the staff, which he wields in all game-related appearances and merchandise.

Yeah, I know. It's just odd that they would had to forced to stick with canon weapon due to promotions and merchadises. I guess it was done in order to difference him from other main characters which mostly used swords.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I mean, he uses the staff in Hero's Final Smash; that's all I need to see. I really wouldn't have minded if they just gave him a sword though.

On a related note, if they actually went through with adding 8 Heroes, I wonder who the unlucky 3 (+ 4 female) heroes who missed out would've been.
Seven is far too short, Two can't use magic, so those two at least

Not sure on the last one to miss out would be. Nine I guess?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think Nine is slightly taller than 7 but shorter than rest of them.
Nine is kinda the odd one out because he has a default appearance, but... not really and his default appearance has wings anyway which might not work. And he's slightly shorter, but not to the point where they couldn't fudge it

I don't really know anything about Six other than he's ripped as hell for a Dragon Quest Hero.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Direct thread reminded me that Drill Dozer exited so I impulse bought it on WiiU.

So Jill for Smash I guess.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, I would go with:
  • I
  • III (male)
  • III (female)
  • IV (male)
  • IV (female)
  • VI
  • VIII
  • XI
II doesn't use magic, V (the game version) needs a staff, VII's body proportions are too different, and IX and X are completely forgettable.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Ideally, I would go with:
  • I
  • III (male)
  • III (female)
  • IV (male)
  • IV (female)
  • VI
  • VIII
  • XI
II doesn't use magic, V (the game version) needs a staff, VII's body proportions are too different, and IX and X are completely forgettable.
Dragon Quest X is too good of a game to leave out (also VI sucks).

Anlucia would be a 10/10 addition and she's become the de facto main character of X to the point of becoming the main focus of promo material and crossovers (I would compare her as the Elma to Ten's Cross).

18_201409090123025a8.jpg

Also her official class is "Heroine" so the name isn't even an issue.

Jun 11, 2019
Can't ever imagine them using an MMO player character anyway honestly.

XIV WoL would be neat I guess if they opted to go for something akin to what's shown in the ShB intro, doubt they'd do it but it would be pretty sick looking atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.