• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which ARMS character do you think is more likely to become 6th Fighter Pass character?

• Spring Man

Votes: 93 16.5%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 64 11.4%
  • Twintelle

Votes: 185 32.9%
  • Min Min

Votes: 185 32.9%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Someone else from ARMS (please specify)

Votes: 27 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
If you ask me it's funny how this was a pretty tepid reveal and yet is still infinitely more hype than Byleth
Reactions:
Piranha Plant: Wtf?
Joker: OH MY F***ING GOD ITS F***ING JOKER
Hero: Whaaaat? DUDE LETS GO
Banjo: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS
Sans: HOLY MOTHERF***ING SHIT
Terry: Who is that? 1% of gamers: YEEEEESSSSS!
Byleth: Srsly?
Cuphead: OH MY GOD THEY DID IT WOOH
Arms: WOOOOH LETS GOO.... WHAT?? JUNE???

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I still think the fundamentals of how Smash Characters are always picked would lead to the fighter being Spring Man, with the possibility of the other fighters being alts or maybe even an echo

We've never not had the main character added first, and the main character of ARMs is Spring Man
Y'all really need to let these "rules" go.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean i still don't expect *squints* the Nintendog to be playable anytime soon so

Yeah, because the people suggesting certain AT characters definitely mean Nintendog or Color TV Game.

I'm specifically referring to people like Neoxon or I think it was Dinoman, who whenever someone suggested, say, Springman or Waluigi, immediately jumped in to say that Assist Trophies are literally impossible and there's absolutely no way ATs could ever become DLC characters, pointing to some ambiguously worded 2013 Miiverse post prior to Smash 4's launch.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 12 | Every prediction is a stretch

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I went away for a few days and avoided Smash news.

Hyped for the ARMS fighter. Once again, there are no rules!

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, because the people suggesting certain AT characters definitely mean Nintendog or Color Game TV.

I'm specifically referring to people like Neoxon or I think it was Dinoman, who whenever someone suggested, say, Springman or Waluigi, immediately jumped in to say that Assist Trophies are literally impossible and there's absolutely no way ATs could ever become DLC characters, pointing to some ambiguously worded 2013 Miiverse post prior to Smash 4's launch.

Damn

I mean deep down I've always kind of hoped that the AT rule would eventually be broken, so that going forward we could simply view AT montages as "oh, this is all we could do for this character at this time, maybe later!" rather than being the final nail in the coffin. That's why, even though he's "boring", I'm gunning for Spring Man to be the ARMS rep, even if he's just an alt or whatever.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 12 | This Thread Has LEGS

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Outside of different characters having unique gimmicks, is there any particular technical reason the 4-5 characters in ARMs with the same basic body build couldn't be alts?

Seems like Spring Man, Min Min, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Springtron would all be fine as alts and have pretty similar animation potential

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
DT12 | Technically, If You Read the Lore, Her Hair Fists Are "Arms" Too

... just to get out ahead of it since I'm sure that's the argument that all 400 pages will be focused on

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I never really posted in this thread and have been mostly watching from the side-lines, but I think I'm gonna hang here from now on.

A certain other thread gets way too toxic on a regular basis and I'm done putting up with it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I hope they do something fun with the stage and not just a boxing ring type stage

Use the lab or the scrapyard or something more interesting than another stadium level

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Time to bring this back.

ORIGINALLY CREATED ON NOVEMBER 24TH, 2019

AN ARGUMENT IN FAVOR OF TWINTELLE IN SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE

This was inevitable, but it's finally time to tackle one of Nintendo's recent hit characters (& one of my personal favorites), Twintelle from ARMS. This should probably be a bit easier since I'm pretty well-versed in ARMS as a game, but I also have a lot to justify in this choice. Either way, I'm gonna enjoy this......very very much. In case you aren't caught up on this series, here are the previous entries.
  • Chapter 1: Chun-Li
    • Chun-Li's section has undergone a few changes since its original debut, so please check it out if you aren't caught up on said changes.
  • Chapter 2: Jill Valentine
  • Chapter 3: Arle
  • Bonus Chapter: Susie
Anyway, I know my mission, so let's get to it.

WHO IS TWINTELLE?

Switch_ARMS_characterart_06.png

The Silver Screen Queen herself, Twintelle started her career in the spotlight as part of the same record label as Ribbon Girl. But according to Biff (the announcer for ARMS), she eventually decided to pursue a career in acting, so she & Ribbon Girl parted ways in terms of them working together. This soon led Twintelle to establishing Twintelle Productions, eventually resulting in a productive career as a world-famous actress in the world of ARMS (thus earning the aforementioned moniker). To address the obvious elephant in the room, Twintelle is the only known character who possesses the ARMS gene that had said gene materialize in the form of her hair rather than her actual arms. This, along with Twintelle's ability to slow down time around her opponents, ends up helping Twintelle stand out compared to her fellow combatants on top of side-stepping the potential issues of having her extendable arms actually being her arms (Fun Fact: That mask is a free mask issued by ARMS Labs & is meant for being able to take control of said extendable limbs, as the arms would be more-or-less useless without the mask being on). This fact has caught the interest of ARMS Labs, who have tried & failed to have Twintelle come in for examination.

WHY TWINTELLE?

87Hpuh9.jpg

This is probably the question on most of your minds, so allow me to elaborate. Twintelle quickly became one of the most popular characters in ARMS right from her reveal (this is especially true in the West, as Japan ended up favoring Min Min), to the point where the devs put her into the Global Testpunch at the last minute due to fan demand. Anyway, I can already foresee two main objections towards this choice, so I'll approach responding to them in a different fashion than usual.
  • "But Neoxon, Min Min won the Party Crash Bash. Clearly she's more popular than Twintelle."
    • While you aren't wrong to assume this (Min Min is plenty popular, after all), it isn't as clear-cut as you may think. Party Crashes are much like Splatfests in Splatoon where popularity & skill play equal roles in determining the winner of any given match-up. To use Splatoon 2 as an example, Marina was very clearly the more popular Off the Hook member of the two. However, this fact worked to her detriment for many of the Splatfests, where Pearl won most of them. This was to the point where Nintendo eventually changed how Splatfests winners are determined which, while it did help Marina win a few Splatfests, still had Pearl win many of them. It's not just about being popular, it's also about having good players on your side. ARMS doesn't really provide hard numbers beyond who did the best during any given Party Crash, so it's hard to say who got the most people on their side during each Party Crash. But if the Marina situation was any indication, Twintelle's popularity likely hurt her viability in the long-run.
  • "But Neoxon, Spring Man is the face of ARMS & Ribbon Girl is the leading lady. Shouldn't they be first in line?"
    • Another valid argument, especially considering Sakurai's mentality of going for the poster child of any new franchise first. But I'd argue that this mentality is sometimes to a fault. Regarding Spring Man, I don't hate him by any stretch of the imagination (I've even done an entire thread on why Spring Man works as ARMS's poster boy). But while Spring Man does enjoy a fair bit of popularity, he's very clearly not the most popular character of his own game. Both Twintelle & Min Min have already come heads & shoulders ahead of Spring Man in this regard, to the point where taking the easy way out by adding Spring Man instead would feel like a missed opportunity. That plus there's the fact that Spring Man is already an Assist Trophy as well as a Mii Costume, which could arguably spell a better or worse scenario for Twintelle depending on how you see it (same for Ribbon Girl's Mii Costume). Either way, I could see this argument as being the bigger detriment towards the choice of Twintelle. But ultimately, while Spring Man would be the logical choice if we were to think like Sakurai, Twintelle would be the better choice for the fans. As for Ribbon Girl, Twintelle has already usurped usurped her as the leading lady of ARMS going by the way Nintendo treats both characters now compared to when ARMS initially came out, so Twintelle's already well on her way to the top spot (though Min Min is her main competition at this point, as mentioned earlier).
And of course, there's the obvious benefit of having a popular black woman on the roster (something that Nintendo doesn't have a ton of, though they have been doing better regarding people of color in their games in recent years). I'm sure there are other arguments against Twintelle's inclusion compared to other characters, but these are the two big ones that came to mind.

HOW WOULD TWINTELLE PLAY?

DEqaun6UQAAjcmg.jpg

Because Twintelle actually has normal arms on top of her extendable hair arms, this allows for a bit more flexibility when it comes to crafting Twintelle's moveset. For one, you can more easily animate Twintelle holding items compared to Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, or Min Min, since Twintelle's real hands don't have ARMS (the gloves) covering them. As for her actual moves, her normals would involve a mixture of attacks involving her normal arms & her hair arms in a graceful manner befitting a movie star of Twintelle's caliber. Her Smash attacks would have Twintelle really wind up a punch with her hair arms, truly showing her body-building prowess. And since said hair arms are the ones that are extendable, her animations could be pretty creative, especially for her up smash & her aerials. For example Twintelle's Nair could have her hair arms spin around her like Palutena's staff, while her dash attack could have Twintelle spin her hair arms like a top similar to ROB's dash attack. Twintelle's Dair could even have her spiral down to the ground feet-first, with her hair arms following behind her as they twirl around her (this would spike, but also bounce off the opponent upon impact). But the main star of the show beyond her mechanics would be her range, which would make even the Belmonts break a sweat (though not by much, as Twintelle's range would still be within Belmont territory despite technically being longer). Anyway, onto her specials...
  • SPECIALS
    • Standard B: Chilla
      • A charged-up punch not unlike Donkey Kong's Standard B special. Once you charge it half-way, your resulting punch will freeze your opponent, with the frozen time lasting longer with more knockback if you charge it further to its maximum. And like Donkey Kong, a max charge can be stored. However, you can't store a Chilla charge if it's not at max charge. And while you can pivot the punch up or down, you have less flexibility the more you charge the attack. Likewise, this can be augmented with the Dodge Charge, which I'll get into later.
    • Side B: Parasol
      • Think of this move as a means of helping your approach. The Parasol is a slow-moving punch that can has a certain amount of durability. What sets this punch apart from the others is that, even though you can't pivot it up or down like the low-powered Chilla punch, Twintelle can follow behind the Parasol to cover her approach (though don't expect to be able to use any other special until the Parasol connects with the opponent or reaches its maximum range). Don't rely on this too much, as the Parasol can only take so much damage. If it sustains too much damage, you'll lose access to that hair arm for a few seconds, which slows Twintelle down slightly. You still have one fully-functioning hair arm, so you aren't completely gimped. But still, play it safe with this move. Like the Chilla, the Dodge Charge can augment this ability, as it will be explained later.
    • Up B: Item Drone Lift
      • The Item Drone is basically a robot that brings in items during battle. While the Item Drone has no items with it in Smash, it can give Twintelle a lift to save her from certain death. Think of it like Snake's Up B.
    • Down B: Thunderbird
      • This easily has the least range of Twintelle's punch-based specials. But it packs quite the punch, as a fully-charged Thunderbird punch can stun your opponent for a decent amount of time. Even if they shield it, the Thunderbird can dish out quite a bit of shield damage. Of course, like the Chilla & Parasol, this move is augmented with the Dodge Charge.
    • Final Smash: Rush
      • Like Spring Man's Assist Trophy, Twintelle can send out a flurry of long-range punches that can be pivoted up or down. This move also has the benefit of locking in anyone caught in the punches, even as you move the attack upward or downward. God help anyone caught in this barrage.
  • UNIQUE MECHANICS
    • Dodge Charge
      • This works basically how it does in ARMS. If you dodge left or right (on the ground or in the air, but the air is limited to forward & backwards air dodges) & continue to hold down the shield button after doing the dodge, you can charge up your next attack. This charge will give said next attack more damage & knockback, as well as move-specific buffs for the following specials...
        • Chilla
          • More damage
          • More knockback
          • Longer-lasting freeze effect when you hit the 50+% charge threshold
        • Parasol
          • More damage
          • More durability
        • Thunderbird
          • More damage
          • Longer-lasting stun effect
      • However, like with regular dodging, using the Dodge Charge too much will decrease its effectiveness. This ability also has another effect since this is Twintelle we're talking about, which transitions into the next unique mechanic.
    • THE WORLD!!! Witch Time Time Slowdown
      • If you dash into your opponent & continue to hold down the shield button, you can slow down your opponent. This functions similarly to Witch Time in many ways. Like Witch Time, this can't be triggered with projectiles (you'll dodge it like normal). But at the same time, you just need to get close to your opponent to trigger the slowdown. With that said, this can be shielded against, which can lead to the slowdown attempt being punished. Likewise, its effectiveness diminishes with each successful use of the attack. So while this is a powerful tool in Twintelle's arsenal, it must be used wisely.
    • Extending Grab
      • Like in ARMS, Twintelle's grab reach is insane and can be slightly aimed up & down. But there's one major drawback to this ability, as any physical attack can break the incoming grab (similar to ARMS). The grab has a few frames of invincibility at the start, so this circumvents that drawback if you want to use this grab up-close like you would for any other character. But still, use the long reach of the grab sparingly, as it can be a handy tool if used correctly.
    • Float
      • Twintelle can slightly float after doing an air dodge. She becomes vulnerable after the float expires.
    • Always Facing the Opponent
      • Like Ryu, Ken, & Terry, Twintelle will always face the opponent in 1v1 battles.

WHAT WOULD TWINTELLE'S STAGE BE?

Skyarena.jpg

My choice for Twintelle's stage would be Sky Arena. I know what you may be wondering, "But Neoxon, this is Max Brass' stage". And you're right, as Twintelle's stage is actually Cinema Deux. However, this is probably one of the most visually striking stages in all of ARMS. Plus it's the final boss area, so everyone comes here at some point or another in ARMS's Grand Prix Mode. The stage would go for a tournament-legal approach in that it floats far above the looming city. Likewise, one major change I'd make to Sky Arena is that the center platform would float higher & can be passed through, with the gated metal floor making up the non-pass-through floors. Think of this stage as a version of Smashville with a larger upper pass-through platform. Of course, like King of Fighters Arena, you'll have cameos from every other ARMS character (who will for-sure show up if you're playing certain songs), including Biff. Twintelle also shows up in the background when she isn't in use. However, due to Spring Man having a chance of being present, you can't use his Assist Trophy on this stage.

WHAT MUSIC WOULD TWINTELLE BRING WITH HER?

seriesalbum.jpg

As I've mentioned many times in the past, the lack of ARMS music is one of Smash Ultimate's most glaring blindspots in its otherwise-stellar music library. Twintelle's inclusion would give Sakurai & his team an opportunity to correct that error. And since ARMS is a Nintendo EPD franchise, there's no stopping Sakurai from getting everything he can from a licensing standpoint (plus Splatoon got 26 songs counting remixes, so what's listed below outside of potential remixes isn't far off). Anyway, here are the tracks.
  1. Sky Arena (Max Brass' Stage)
  2. Cinema Deux (Twintelle's Stage)
  3. Grand Prix (Title Theme)
  4. Grand Prix (Ribbon Girl Version)
  5. Spring Stadium (Spring Man's Stage)
  6. Ribbon Ring (Ribbon Girl's Stage)
  7. Ninja College (Ninjara's Stage)
  8. Mausoleum (Master Mummy's Stage)
  9. Ramen Bowl (Min Min's Stage)
  10. Scrapyard (Mechanica's Stage)
  11. Buster Beach (Byte & Barq's Stage)
  12. Skate Park (Kid Cobra's Stage)
  13. DNA Lab (Helix's Stage)
  14. Via Dolce (Lola Pop's Stage)
  15. Temple Grounds (Misango's Stage)
  16. Sparring Ring (Springtron's Stage)
  17. [Name Redacted] (Dr. Coyle's Stage)
  18. VS Dr. Coyle Hedlok
  19. VS Headlok (Grand Prix)
  20. Party Crash Menu Theme

WHAT SPIRITS WOULD BE INCLUDED WITH TWINTELLE?

Switch_ARMS_char_01.png
sY2OEwE.png
C0I3Byh.png

ARMS currently has 5 spirits in the base game, including Twintelle. In her case, she has other renders & art to pull from, so her Fighter Spirit would use one of those. As for the others, we'd pull from the ARMS characters who have yet to be used as spirits in Smash Ultimate.
  1. Twintelle
    • Fighter Spirit
  2. Dr. Coyle
  3. Lola Pop
  4. Misango
  5. Mechanica
  6. Master Mummy
  7. Kid Cobra
  8. Max Brass
  9. Helix
  10. Byte & Barq
  11. Springtron
  12. Biff
  13. Hedlok
This basically covers the remainder of the ARMS cast, as well as the extended cast like Biff & Hedlok.

LONG STORY SHORT

tumblr_ornxs1CRvh1upp4n0o1_400.gif

ARMS is one of a handful of successful new IPs the Switch brought us (followed by the likes of Astral Chain & Ring Fit Adventure). And of those franchises, ARMS is probably the most rich with unique characters with striking designs that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the other Nintendo legends. Likewise, Nintendo has made slow-but-steady strides to have more diversity amongst their characters in recent years. Twintelle as a character symbolizes both the new era of successful new Switch franchises as well as Nintendo's improvement with regards to representation. She may not be the main character of ARMS, but Twintelle is very much one of the main two fan-favorites of the game. While there may be other third party characters who would create more shockwaves, Twintelle being added would serve as an example of what Nintendo's moving towards going into the future. If the Inklings represent the creativity of modern Nintendo, Twintelle represents the growing diversity of modern Nintendo (though both still have elements of the other, as Splatoon is plenty diverse & ARMS is plenty unique, but you get the idea).

Last edited:

OmegaNeon

Dec 16, 2019
the general universe
Time to bring this back.

AN ARGUMENT IN FAVOR OF TWINTELLE IN SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE

This was inevitable, but it's finally time to tackle one of Nintendo's recent hit characters (& one of my personal favorites), Twintelle from ARMS. This should probably be a bit easier since I'm pretty well-versed in ARMS as a game, but I also have a lot to justify in this choice. Either way, I'm gonna enjoy this......very very much. In case you aren't caught up on this series, here are the previous entries.
  • Chapter 1: Chun-Li
    • Chun-Li's section has undergone a few changes since its original debut, so please check it out if you aren't caught up on said changes.
  • Chapter 2: Jill Valentine
  • Chapter 3: Arle
  • Bonus Chapter: Susie
Anyway, I know my mission, so let's get to it.

WHO IS TWINTELLE?

Switch_ARMS_characterart_06.png

The Silver Screen Queen herself, Twintelle started her career in the spotlight as part of the same record label as Ribbon Girl. But according to Biff (the announcer for ARMS), she eventually decided to pursue a career in acting, so she & Ribbon Girl parted ways in terms of them working together. This soon led Twintelle to establishing Twintelle Productions, eventually resulting in a productive career as a world-famous actress in the world of ARMS (thus earning the aforementioned moniker). To address the obvious elephant in the room, Twintelle is the only known character who possesses the ARMS gene that had said gene materialize in the form of her hair rather than her actual arms. This, along with Twintelle's ability to slow down time around her opponents, ends up helping Twintelle stand out compared to her fellow combatants on top of side-stepping the potential issues of having her extendable arms actually being her arms (Fun Fact: That mask is a free mask issued by ARMS Labs & is meant for being able to take control of said extendable limbs, as the arms would be more-or-less useless without the mask being on). This fact has caught the interest of ARMS Labs, who have tried & failed to have Twintelle come in for examination.

WHY TWINTELLE?

87Hpuh9.jpg

This is probably the question on most of your minds, so allow me to elaborate. Twintelle quickly became one of the most popular characters in ARMS right from her reveal (this is especially true in the West, as Japan ended up favoring Min Min), to the point where the devs put her into the Global Testpunch at the last minute due to fan demand. Anyway, I can already foresee two main objections towards this choice, so I'll approach responding to them in a different fashion than usual.
  • "But Neoxon, Min Min won the Party Crash Bash. Clearly she's more popular than Twintelle."
    • While you aren't wrong to assume this (Min Min is plenty popular, after all), it isn't as clear-cut as you may think. Party Crashes are much like Splatfests in Splatoon where popularity & skill play equal roles in determining the winner of any given match-up. To use Splatoon 2 as an example, Marina was very clearly the more popular Off the Hook member of the two. However, this fact worked to her detriment for many of the Splatfests, where Pearl won most of them. This was to the point where Nintendo eventually changed how Splatfests winners are determined which, while it did help Marina win a few Splatfests, still had Pearl win many of them. It's not just about being popular, it's also about having good players on your side. ARMS doesn't really provide hard numbers beyond who did the best during any given Party Crash, so it's hard to say who got the most people on their side during each Party Crash. But if the Marina situation was any indication, Twintelle's popularity likely hurt her viability in the long-run.
  • "But Neoxon, Spring Man is the face of ARMS & Ribbon Girl is the leading lady. Shouldn't they be first in line?"
    • Another valid argument, especially considering Sakurai's mentality of going for the poster child of any new franchise first. But I'd argue that this mentality is sometimes to a fault. Regarding Spring Man, I don't hate him by any stretch of the imagination (I've even done an entire thread on why Spring Man works as ARMS's poster boy). But while Spring Man does enjoy a fair bit of popularity, he's very clearly not the most popular character of his own game. Both Twintelle & Min Min have already come heads & shoulders ahead of Spring Man in this regard, to the point where taking the easy way out by adding Spring Man instead would feel like a missed opportunity. That plus there's the fact that Spring Man is already an Assist Trophy as well as a Mii Costume, which could arguably spell a better or worse scenario for Twintelle depending on how you see it (same for Ribbon Girl's Mii Costume). Either way, I could see this argument as being the bigger detriment towards the choice of Twintelle. But ultimately, while Spring Man would be the logical choice if we were to think like Sakurai, Twintelle would be the better choice for the fans. As for Ribbon Girl, Twintelle has already usurped usurped her as the leading lady of ARMS going by the way Nintendo treats both characters now compared to when ARMS initially came out, so Twintelle's already well on her way to the top spot (though Min Min is her main competition at this point, as mentioned earlier).
And of course, there's the obvious benefit of having a popular black woman on the roster (something that Nintendo doesn't have a ton of, though they have been doing better regarding people of color in their games in recent years). I'm sure there are other arguments against Twintelle's inclusion compared to other characters, but these are the two big ones that came to mind.

HOW WOULD TWINTELLE PLAY?

DEqaun6UQAAjcmg.jpg

Because Twintelle actually has normal arms on top of her extendable hair arms, this allows for a bit more flexibility when it comes to crafting Twintelle's moveset. For one, you can more easily animate Twintelle holding items compared to Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, or Min Min, since Twintelle's real hands don't have ARMS (the gloves) covering them. As for her actual moves, her normals would involve a mixture of attacks involving her normal arms & her hair arms in a graceful manner befitting a movie star of Twintelle's caliber. Her Smash attacks would have Twintelle really wind up a punch with her hair arms, truly showing her body-building prowess. And since said hair arms are the ones that are extendable, her animations could be pretty creative, especially for her up smash & her aerials. For example Twintelle's Nair could have her hair arms spin around her like Palutena's staff, while her dash attack could have Twintelle spin her hair arms like a top similar to ROB's dash attack. Twintelle's Dair could even have her spiral down to the ground feet-first, with her hair arms following behind her as they twirl around her (this would spike, but also bounce off the opponent upon impact). But the main star of the show beyond her mechanics would be her range, which would make even the Belmonts break a sweat (though not by much, as Twintelle's range would still be within Belmont territory despite technically being longer). Anyway, onto her specials...
  • SPECIALS
    • Standard B: Chilla
      • A charged-up punch not unlike Donkey Kong's Standard B special. Once you charge it half-way, your resulting punch will freeze your opponent, with the frozen time lasting longer with more knockback if you charge it further to its maximum. And like Donkey Kong, a max charge can be stored. However, you can't store a Chilla charge if it's not at max charge. And while you can pivot the punch up or down, you have less flexibility the more you charge the attack. Likewise, this can be augmented with the Dodge Charge, which I'll get into later.
    • Side B: Parasol
      • Think of this move as a means of helping your approach. The Parasol is a slow-moving punch that can has a certain amount of durability. What sets this punch apart from the others is that, even though you can't pivot it up or down like the low-powered Chilla punch, Twintelle can follow behind the Parasol to cover her approach (though don't expect to be able to use any other special until the Parasol connects with the opponent or reaches its maximum range). Don't rely on this too much, as the Parasol can only take so much damage. If it sustains too much damage, you'll lose access to that hair arm for a few seconds, which slows Twintelle down slightly. You still have one fully-functioning hair arm, so you aren't completely gimped. But still, play it safe with this move. Like the Chilla, the Dodge Charge can augment this ability, as it will be explained later.
    • Up B:Item Drone Lift
      • The Item Drone is basically a robot that brings in items during battle. While the Item Drone has no items with it in Smash, it can give Twintelle a lift to save her from certain death. Think of it like Snake's Up B.
    • Down B: Thunderbird
      • This easily has the least range of Twintelle's punch-based specials. But it packs quite the punch, as a fully-charged Thunderbird punch can stun your opponent for a decent amount of time. Even if they shield it, the Thunderbird can dish out quite a bit of shield damage. Of course, like the Chilla & Parasol, this move is augmented with the Dodge Charge.
    • Final Smash: Rush
      • Like Spring Man's Assist Trophy, Twintelle can send out a flurry of long-range punches that can be pivoted up or down. This move also has the benefit of locking in anyone caught in the punches, even as you move the attack upward or downward. God help anyone caught in this barrage.
  • UNIQUE MECHANICS
    • Dodge Charge
      • This works basically how it does in ARMS. If you dodge left or right (on the ground or in the air, but the air is limited to forward & backwards air dodges) & continue to hold down the shield button after doing the dodge, you can charge up your next attack. This charge will give said next attack more damage & knockback, as well as move-specific buffs for the following specials...
        • Chilla
          • More damage
          • More knockback
          • Longer-lasting freeze effect when you hit the 50+% charge threshold
        • Parasol
          • More damage
          • More durability
        • Thunderbird
          • More damage
          • Longer-lasting stun effect
      • However, like with regular dodging, using the Dodge Charge too much will decrease its effectiveness. This ability also has another effect since this is Twintelle we're talking about, which transitions into the next unique mechanic.
    • THE WORLD!!! Witch Time Time Slowdown
      • If you dash into your opponent & continue to hold down the shield button, you can slow down your opponent. This functions similarly to Witch Time in many ways. Like Witch Time, this can't be triggered with projectiles (you'll dodge it like normal). But at the same time, you just need to get close to your opponent to trigger the slowdown. With that said, this can be shielded against, which can lead to the slowdown attempt being punished. Likewise, its effectiveness diminishes with each successful use of the attack. So while this is a powerful tool in Twintelle's arsenal, it must be used wisely.
    • Extending Grab
      • Like in ARMS, Twintelle's grab reach is insane and can be slightly aimed up & down. But there's one major drawback to this ability, as any physical attack can break the incoming grab (similar to ARMS). The grab has a few frames of invincibility at the start, so this circumvents that drawback if you want to use this grab up-close like you would for any other character. But still, use the long reach of the grab sparingly, as it can be a handy tool if used correctly.
    • Always Facing the Opponent
      • Like Ryu, Ken, & Terry, Twintelle will always face the opponent in 1v1 battles.

WHAT WOULD TWINTELLE'S STAGE BE?

Skyarena.jpg

My choice for Twintelle's stage would be Sky Arena. I know what you may be wondering, "But Neoxon, this is Max Brass' stage". And you're right, as Twintelle's stage is actually Cinema Deux. However, this is probably one of the most visually striking stages in all of ARMS. Plus it's the final boss area, so everyone comes here at some point or another in ARMS's Grand Prix Mode. The stage would go for a tournament-legal approach in that it floats far above the looming city. Likewise, one major change I'd make to Sky Arena is that the center platform would float higher & can be passed through, with the gated metal floor making up the non-pass-through floors. Think of this stage as a version of Smashville with a larger upper pass-through platform. Of course, like King of Fighters Arena, you'll have cameos from every other ARMS character (who will for-sure show up if you're playing certain songs), including Biff. Twintelle also shows up in the background when she isn't in use. However, due to Spring Man having a chance of being present, you can't use his Assist Trophy on this stage.

WHAT MUSIC WOULD TWINTELLE BRING WITH HER?

seriesalbum.jpg

As I've mentioned many times in the past, the lack of ARMS music is one of Smash Ultimate's most glaring blindspots in its otherwise-stellar music library. Twintelle's inclusion would give Sakurai & his team an opportunity to correct that error. And since ARMS is a Nintendo EPD franchise, there's no stopping Sakurai from getting everything he can from a licensing standpoint (plus Splatoon got 26 songs counting remixes, so what's listed below outside of potential remixes isn't far off). Anyway, here are the tracks.
  1. Sky Arena (Max Brass' Stage)
  2. Cinema Deux (Twintelle's Stage)
  3. Grand Prix (Title Theme)
  4. Grand Prix (Ribbon Girl Version)
  5. Spring Stadium (Spring Man's Stage)
  6. Ribbon Ring (Ribbon Girl's Stage)
  7. Ninja College (Ninjara's Stage)
  8. Mausoleum (Master Mummy's Stage)
  9. Ramen Bowl (Min Min's Stage)
  10. Scrapyard (Mechanica's Stage)
  11. Buster Beach (Byte & Barq's Stage)
  12. Skate Park (Kid Cobra's Stage)
  13. DNA Lab (Helix's Stage)
  14. Via Dolce (Lola Pop's Stage)
  15. Temple Grounds (Misango's Stage)
  16. Sparring Ring (Springtron's Stage)
  17. [Name Redacted] (Dr. Coyle's Stage)
  18. VS Dr. Coyle Hedlok
  19. VS Headlok (Grand Prix)
  20. Party Crash Menu Theme

WHAT SPIRITS WOULD BE INCLUDED WITH TWINTELLE?

Switch_ARMS_char_01.png
sY2OEwE.png
C0I3Byh.png

ARMS currently has 5 spirits in the base game, including Twintelle. In her case, she has other renders & art to pull from, so her Fighter Spirit would use one of those. As for the others, we'd pull from the ARMS characters who have yet to be used as spirits in Smash Ultimate.
  1. Twintelle
    • Fighter Spirit
  2. Dr. Coyle
  3. Lola Pop
  4. Misango
  5. Mechanica
  6. Master Mummy
  7. Kid Cobra
  8. Max Brass
  9. Helix
  10. Byte & Barq
  11. Springtron
  12. Biff
  13. Hedlok
This basically covers the remainder of the ARMS cast, as well as the extended cast like Biff & Hedlok.

LONG STORY SHORT

tumblr_ornxs1CRvh1upp4n0o1_400.gif

ARMS is one of a handful of successful new IPs the Switch brought us (followed by the likes of Astral Chain & Ring Fit Adventure). And of those franchises, ARMS is probably the most rich with unique characters with striking designs that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the other Nintendo legends. Likewise, Nintendo has made slow-but-steady strides to have more diversity amongst their characters in recent years. Twintelle as a character symbolizes both the new era of successful new Switch franchises as well as Nintendo's improvement with regards to representation. She may not be the main character of ARMS, but Twintelle is very much one of the main two fan-favorites of the game. While there may be other third party characters who would create more shockwaves, Twintelle being added would serve as an example of what Nintendo's moving towards going into the future. If the Inklings represent the creativity of modern Nintendo, Twintelle represents the growing diversity of modern Nintendo (though both still have elements of the other, as Splatoon is plenty diverse & ARMS is plenty unique, but you get the idea).
Holy shit.
I have a newfound respect for you.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Outside of different characters having unique gimmicks, is there any particular technical reason the 4-5 characters in ARMs with the same basic body build couldn't be alts?

Seems like Spring Man, Min Min, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Springtron would all be fine as alts and have pretty similar animation potential
The only thing I could think of is that Ninjara hunches over a bit in-game while the others stand up straight, but I don't think that would be too big of an issue.There shouldn't be anything stopping them from giving Spring Man other characters as alts

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The only thing I could think of is that Ninjara hunches over a bit in-game while the others stand up straight, but I don't think that would be too big of an issue.There shouldn't be anything stopping them from giving Spring Man other characters as alts
as Byleth showed, they can actually give Ninjara a new idle if they wanted to, where he hunches over slightly

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IntelliHeath when you get a chance, we should add a poll for which ARMS character it'll be.

I'd suggest Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, ARMS 2 Character, Combination of Multiple Characters, and Other as options
I think you can do multiple choice polls, so IntelliHeath can do a poll that's like
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Twintelle
  • etc, etc
  • ARMS 2
  • Other character not listed
Seems like most people here are on board with there being alts of some kind

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think you can do multiple choice polls, so IntelliHeath can do a poll that's like
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Twintelle
  • etc, etc
  • ARMS 2
  • Other character not listed
Seems like most people here are on board with there being alts of some kind
It should be...
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Twintelle
  • Min Min
  • Someone else from ARMS (please specify)
  • An ARMS 2 character

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The problem is none of those are Twintelle.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think our only real options are Twintelle, Min Min, or a multi-character including Spring Man and Min Min.

Like, those two are the most popular, clearly. They'd be dumb to not include either. The question is whether Twintelle is the MOST popular, and if so, is she popular enough to outweigh the potential of squeezing in more characters via "basic ARMS fighter body" alts?

Do we have a definitive popularity poll anywhere?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think our only real options are Twintelle, Min Min, or a multi-character including Spring Man and Min Min.

Like, those two are the most popular, clearly. They'd be dumb to not include either. The question is whether Twintelle is the MOST popular, and if so, is she popular enough to outweigh the potential of squeezing in more characters via "basic ARMS fighter" costumes?

I actually touched on that in my mega-post for Twintelle. Long story short, it's hard to say. Min Min winning the Party Crash Bash was equal parts skill & popularity, with the latter possibly working to Twintelle's detriment like it did for Marina in Splatoon 2.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I just remembered I gave my copy of ARMS to my sister and then she lost it, so I guess I won't pick up the game and play a few more rounds this weekend to refresh on all the characters.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's going to be Spring Man, with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as alts.

Each individual character in ARMS has very few abilities, but collectively they'd make for a much more unique Smash character. They would have access to a bunch of different types of ARMS, kick like Min Min, and maybe even use Barq as a drone to recover. It's kind of like how the gaps in Simon's move set were filled in with other Belmont abilities, how Ness and Lucas use the abilities of other party members, and how Hero uses spells from throughout the entire Dragon Quest series.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I just remembered I gave my copy of ARMS to my sister and then she lost it, so I guess I won't pick up the game and play a few more rounds this weekend to refresh on all the characters.
the last time I played ARMs, there were no added characters

That's how long it's been. I've never even touched Max Brass and he was added like a month after release

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Like, those two are the most popular, clearly. They'd be dumb to not include either. The question is whether Twintelle is the MOST popular, and if so, is she popular enough to outweigh the potential of squeezing in more characters via "basic ARMS fighter body" alts?

Yeah, I think if we're getting one character, it'll be Twintelle. If we're getting multiple, it'll be Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min-Min, and someone else.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought ARMS a while back and played maybe 20 minutes of it tops. At least I didn't pay full price

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Like half of Hero's spell select spells didn't even exist when Erdrick was the hero and that didn't seem to stop him being an alt

An ARMs character that is 4-5 fighters in one, with a moveset that uses all different abilities and ARM types would be a lot of fun

Spring Man
Ribbon Girl
Min Min
Ninjara
Springtron
Ribbon Girl Alt 2
Min Min Alt 2
Ninjara Alt 2

With the extra three alt colors representing the other boxers' color schemes

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
the last time I played ARMs, there were no added characters

That's how long it's been. I've never even touched Max Brass and he was added like a month after release
That's probably about the same for me as well. I may have played as him a few times but I definitely never touched Lola Pop or anyone after that.

I enjoyed the game, just never had anyone to play with so moved on fairly quickly I guess.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That's probably about the same for me as well. I may have played as him a few times but I definitely never touched Lola Pop or anyone after that.

I enjoyed the game, just never had anyone to play with so moved on fairly quickly I guess.
I loved the game's style, the character designs, the music and basically everything about it

Except the gameplay, hated that

And also the grind to collect different ARMs

Status
Not open for further replies.