• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Undertale rep would cause more talk than RE & Tekken rep.
There is no chance of this being true. Undertale doesn't have the brand recognition of either of these two titles, especially Resident Evil. If Jill Valentine showed up in a Smash trailer, people would go nuts. If an Undertale character showed up, this forum would be excited and the other millions of people that bought Smash would wonder who the character was.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
why didnt they use npc from sunshine, galaxy and the like those are mainline Mario games
I know right? Pianta, Noki, Whittles, Gearmos, Penguins. Sprixies.
Sure most of those generally exist elsewhere but no reason not to just bring them in as NPC villages normally.

it is going to be awful if they just completely ignore all the Odyssey NPCs they introduced.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
There is no chance of this being true. Undertale doesn't have the brand recognition of either of these two titles, especially Resident Evil. If Jill Valentine showed up in a Smash trailer, people would go nuts. If an Undertale character showed up, this forum would be excited and the other millions of people that bought Smash would wonder who the character was.

Again, Megalovania itself got 97+ million views on Youtube. I think Undertale isn't that obscure.

I know, Resident Evil is way bigger sales wise, but purely character hype wise I think Undertale would cause a lot of attention like Joker did.

And tbh Jill talk only happened because we are all just predicting major 3rd parties for Smash. Jill really wasn't that requested pre-DLC talk.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If I did paper Mario

I would introduce a traditional party system along with the partner system from the first 2 games

so you can have say Mario, Luigi, and Peach on the field and they each have a 0atner and you can mix and match and diffrent combinations do diffrent things

main party would be

Mario
Luigi
Wario
Waluigi
peach
Daisy
Rosalina
Pauline

partners would include

a goomba
A koopa
A bombob
A chain Chomp
A chargin chuck

and more

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. She needs to be this gen's big new Mario character like Rosalina & Jr. before her.

She'd be amazing as a breakout character, and I think she'd be really popular. She could even be given Yamamura (the helper pigeon) as a little companion like Rosalina is accompanied by a Luma in some of the games (I know she had it in Mario Kart Wii, but don't remember if she had it elsewhere).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The characters that Nintendo focuses on and bring back is so random and inconsistent.

Like, who the heck cares about Gooper Blooper and why does he keep showing up? Why is Toadsworth never used, but King Bomb Omb and Petey get a sudden resurgence? How did Toadette go from Waluigi-tier spin off fodder to a member of the core playable lineup? Why are there two distinct designs for King Boo, one used for Luigi's Mansion and one used for Spin Offs?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The characters that Nintendo focuses on and bring back is so random and inconsistent.

Like, who the heck cares about Gooper Blooper and why does he keep showing up? Why is Toadsworth never used, but King Bomb Omb and Petey get a sudden resurgence? How did Toadette go from Waluigi-tier spin off fodder to a member of the core playable lineup? Why are there two distinct designs for King Boo, one used for Luigi's Mansion and one used for Spin Offs?
Different devs and teams.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Different devs and teams.
I don't think if Camelot wanted Tatanga to be in Mario Tennis, that they'd be given the okay to do so.

Something about the Mario IP oversight makes them focus on weird characters and ignore other, viable, characters. EAD (or whatever they're called now) seems to exert pressure on teams to use certain characters and enemies over others. It's why games my internally by Nintendo can have brand new characters, designs and use whatever they want, but spin offs have this tiny pool of New Super Mario Bros approved minions and characters to pull from.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Again, Megalovania itself got 97+ million views on Youtube. I think Undertale isn't that obscure.

I know, Resident Evil is way bigger sales wise, but purely character hype wise I think Undertale would cause a lot of attention like Joker did.

And tbh Jill talk only happened because we are all just predicting major 3rd parties for Smash. Jill really wasn't that requested pre-DLC talk.
Most of the Capcom talk came from realizing the remaining missing third party Mii Costumes, & Resident Evil is the biggest Capcom IP that doesn't already have a playable character in Smash.......& also happens to be one of the biggest Japanese IPs in general without a playable character in Smash.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the Capcom talk came from realizing the remaining missing third party Mii Costumes, & Resident Evil is the biggest Capcom IP that doesn't already have a playable character in Smash.......& also happens to be one of the biggest Japanese IPs in general without a playable character in Smash.

You know, they could just release the Mii Costumes without being tied to DLC reps.

If Resident Evil gets in, then its not shocking, but I wouldn't say its guaranteed. I wouldn't bet on anything yet regarding DLC reps. I say Undertale has a chance, not that its guaranteed.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You know, they could just release the Mii Costumes without being tied to DLC reps.

If Resident Evil gets in, then its not shocking, but I wouldn't say its guaranteed. I wouldn't bet on anything yet regarding DLC reps. I say Undertale has a chance, not that its guaranteed.
That's entirely possible. Though assuming that "Brave" brings back the Square-Enix Mii Costumes with them, it would lend credence towards the possibility of Capcom & Tekken reps. That plus, unlike Smash Wii U/3DS, all 5 DLC characters were planned in advance.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't know what to think about DLC thought process.

They announce Joker first, the most shocking one. But then just do token 3rd party franchises for everyone else? It's a Smash tradition, but I still really doubt they would blow they surprises this early.

And maybe like Smash tradition I will be wrong as well.

…Although tbh I kind of thought Box Theory made sense lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You want a Jill on the roster? You want an indie rep?

I just started playing Va11halla last night. Jill Stingray for Smash.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Mary O. ever becoming "core cast" in like Mario spinoffs or whatever. She's aesthetically really weird in the Mario universe, which works for the weird hodgepodge of random stuff in Mario Maker, but not really for something like Mario Kart.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They announce Joker first, the most shocking one. But then just do token 3rd party franchises for everyone else? It's a Smash tradition, but I still really doubt they would blow they surprises this early.

I don't feel like most of us would expect something like Resident Evil under any other circumstance. That plus all signs point to us getting a Dragon Quest character next.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

We don't know if joker will be the most "shocking" or exactly what third party picks will make it, but you also have to look at the casual people. To them an RE rep wouldn't give this "meh, too obvious" reaction when they are revealed. It just is funny to all of the sudden just say an RE rep is boring and predictable. Just think of saying that a couple of years ago.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised to see an RE backlash in this thread.

The games get brought up a lot. And I imagine some people are just tired of seeing them brought up again and again.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't think people will flip the fuck out at a well-edited trailer with Jill/Chris/Leon, the Spencer Mansion, and other classic Resident Evil elements then you're sorely mistaken. RE is a really big deal.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised to see an RE backlash in this thread.

The games get brought up a lot. And I imagine some people are just tired of seeing them brought up again and again.
At this point what series haven't been brought up that have some viable chance for dlc? It's a dlc thread, so we are going to talk about it.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
We don't know if joker will be the most "shocking" or exactly what third party picks will make it, but you also have to look at the casual people. To them an RE rep wouldn't give this "meh, too obvious" reaction when they are revealed. It just is funny to all of the sudden just say an RE rep is boring and predictable. Just think of saying that a couple of years ago.

Well, we are literally just predicting biggest missing Japanese 3rd party characters. Times change, we thought Rex & Springman were locks. And Decidueye due to Pokken.

Although Sakurai always manages to be surprising, so maybe something truly unpredictable will happen.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone, please, turn not amongst yourselves, you are losing sight of the true enemy.

It doesn't matter if the next character is Erdrick, or Jill, or Banjo, or the Chosen Undead, or Sans, or Toadette.

What matters is that it's not Byleth.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we are literally just predicting biggest missing Japanese 3rd party characters. Times change, we thought Rex & Springman were locks. And Decidueye due to Pokken.

Although Sakurai always manages to be surprising, so maybe something truly unpredictable will happen.
I mean, persona at this point is a pretty big deal. He didn't just dumpster dive to the bottom and pick something random. There are 4 characters left, and we know one basically for sure, but the odds still are that we are going to get characters that have been talked about here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth is inevitable, lol.
snap.gif

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest surprise would just be that a wider net was cast for the DLC than people gave credit for. Basically has happened before for characters like Joker.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Man, we kind of are just going in circles. Same old character talk, cuts, veteran changes, wish lists, making statistical analysis on representation, doubt on someone, betting on someone, shit talking someone, Dixie posting, BGBW shitposting, "why this DLC character is better than yours" talk, theories…

And its still a month left.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Petey hasn't had a sudden resurgence, to be fair. He has been ominously present in tons of game since his inception. He's outlived Toadsworth & the Piantas by a wide margin and Gooper Blooper is his only inexplicable competition from sunshine.

Now Toadette, I think it might be Nintendo finally realizing they should probably bring another girl character into the fold and they have a ready made, popular choice that also doesn't live in space or another country. THey probably like the symmetry of 2 taller charactesr (mario, luigi) and 2 shorter characters (Toad, toadette) too.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man, we kind of are just going in circles. Same old character talk, cuts, veteran changes, wish lists, making statistical analysis on representation, doubt on someone, betting on someone, shit talking someone, Dixie posting, BGBW shitposting, "why this DLC character is better than yours" talk, theories…

Imagine if we just get one character at E3, and it's Erdrick, lol.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, that was prelaunch speculation too in between reveals. That's why this is a thread though, to talk about smash dlc.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

BGBW has ascended beyond mere shitposting.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder in how many scenarios a 1st party character would be as hyped up as 3rd party one. They haven't gotten the Dixie memo and lolSakurai&NewKirby.

Rex, Springman & Waluigi and some others maybe but Spirits & ATs most likely won't get in during 1st wave of DLC.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

If you're tired of it then maybe you should take a break from this thread for couple of weeks to revitalize yourself.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder in how many scenarios a 1st party character would be as hyped up as 3rd party one. They haven't gotten the Dixie memo and lolSakurai&NewKirby.
I can't think of any. Dixie's practically my most wanted Nintendo character but even I can admit that she's not terribly exciting. She's more of a sigh of relief checkbox ticker.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Waluigi is basically the only megaton first party character they could announce at this point, at least comparable to K. Rool and Ridley.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Rex, Springman & Waluigi and some others maybe but Spirits & ATs most likely won't get in during 1st wave of DLC.
I think in the west a handful of characters could have some more hype than erdrick.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't be a Joker level megaton but I feel like Rex would still get a strong reaction just because most everyone is convinced he has no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.